Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,335 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Chapman shaking off a bit of rust in his Yankees debut. He still hit 100 a few times but gave up a couple of hits and a run.

He's seriously good though. He'll be lights out in a few weeks for the rest of the season. Miller, Betances and Chapman is an embarrassment of riches, wouldn't be surprised if they look to ship Miller for a starter during the summer. He's an expensive reliever to have in a non-closing role (7th highest paid relief pitcher in the MLB!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Stephen Strasburg's getting paid. I was surprised at this. It might be that he's just got a quiet personality but I always got the impression that he was never comfortable in DC and would play out his contract and then head over to a team in sunny California.

And because he's a Scott Boras guy too and they rarely sign extensions before getting to free agency.

Edit - just read it's a 7 year deal to be paid over 14 years, same kind of deal they have with Scherzer.

Turns out the latest drug bust in MLB is a Royal prospect (Raul Mondesi) and he gets 50 games. He's on their 40 man but not on the active roster. I'd never heard of him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Turns out the latest drug bust in MLB is a Royal prospect (Raul Mondesi) and he gets 50 games. He's on their 40 man but not on the active roster. I'd never heard of him anyway.
    When I read the story earlier I thought hadn't this guy retired years ago. Turns out he is the son of Raul Mondesi senior who was a pretty good player back in the 90s and still playing when I started watching the game a few years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I love stupid, pointless stats and two I heard yesterday made me smile.

The Braves have the 7th most wins at Turner Field this season.

15% of all walks issued by Cubs pitchers this season were to Bryce Harper.

Its the relevant stats make you money :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Let's hope that's the 1st of many saves to come for Chapman.. He's scary good

Let's hope that's the 1st of many saves to come for Chapman.. He's scary good

Indeed he is. If the starters can get a lead through 7 and the trio take over, they could be in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Stephen Strasburg's getting paid. I was surprised at this. It might be that he's just got a quiet personality but I always got the impression that he was never comfortable in DC and would play out his contract and then head over to a team in sunny California.

And because he's a Scott Boras guy too and they rarely sign extensions before getting to free agency.

Edit - just read it's a 7 year deal to be paid over 14 years, same kind of deal they have with Scherzer.

Had to laugh at the Pardon The Interruption guys on ESPN. They have christened Strasburg 'Orchid'!! A bit of a delicate flower alright!

Oh yeah, Cubs win eight straight with a double header against the Padres today for the ten.

tallpaul wrote: »
    Had to laugh at the Pardon The Interruption guys on ESPN. They have christened Strasburg 'Orchid'!! A bit of a delicate flower alright!

Kornheiser's been calling him that for years on his radio show. He gets very annoyed with him when he doesn't perform and that he needs it to be 75 and sunny or he doesn't blossom.

Kornheiser's been calling him that for years on his radio show. He gets very annoyed with him when he doesn't perform and that he needs it to be 75 and sunny or he doesn't blossom.

I love how passionate he gets about the Nats on his radio show.. its a decent podcast for baseball chat with the usual ESPN Baseball guests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

next week. Bring 'em on. Whining gNats babies led by the biggest baby of all, Dusty "Punk" Baker.

(I know - be careful what you ask for...)

I hadn't heard of him until now but there's an Irish guy playing in the minor leagues. I know the odds are fairly long on making the majors but he's someone to keep an eye on and root for anyway.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/118255/farm-report-irish-born-p-j-conlon-remains-unbeaten

Harper gets a 1 game ban for cursing at the ump the other day.. He's gonna appeal

Harper gets a 1 game ban for cursing at the ump the other day.. He's gonna appeal

I'd take the ban. He's up against Jordan Zimmerman tonight. Wouldn't have been a bad game to miss.

(Watch now as he goes 4-4 against him)

What a performance from Max Scherzer.. Strikes out 20 hitters with no walks.. Only the 3rd ever SP to do so. 96 strikes with 23 balls on 119 pitches..

What a performance from Max Scherzer.. Strikes out 20 hitters with no walks.. Only the 3rd ever SP to do so. 96 strikes with 23 balls on 119 pitches..

It was kind of like he was reminding Strasburg who the number 1 in town is.

I hadn't heard of him until now but there's an Irish guy playing in the minor leagues. I know the odds are fairly long on making the majors but he's someone to keep an eye on and root for anyway.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/118255/farm-report-irish-born-p-j-conlon-remains-unbeaten

'Irish guy' is a bit of a stretch I reckon. Going by the article the guy is an American who also has a British passport.

8-10 wrote: »
    'Irish guy' is a bit of a stretch I reckon. Going by the article the guy is an American who also has a British passport.

Born in Belfast and his dad's name is Patrick. Good enough for me...!!!!

It might be a stretch alright but it's the closest we're going to get so we might as well run with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Giancarlo Stanton has Irish roots, Im considering him Irish :D
    Clearly has the latin Connemara blood in him

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Just can't get enough of this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX8-Ze-0GR4

• Advertisement

Boston has 4 games in a row with double digit runs. That's impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Cubs 8 up on Pirates at the end of the 5th.

51 game ban for Jose Reyes. Retrospective so he can play on June 1st.

I was a big fan when he was a Met but hated the attitude when signing for Miami when he said he wanted to be the highest paid player on the team, even if it was only $1 more than the next guy. Too much of my 'me' attitude for my liking.

He's not the player he once was I think he'll find it hard to remove Storey from the SS spot in Colorado.

Murphy hitting behind Harper tonight and as he's hitting .400, there should be a lot more for Harper to hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

51 game ban for Jose Reyes. Retrospective so he can play on June 1st.

I was a big fan when he was a Met but hated the attitude when signing for Miami when he said he wanted to be the highest paid player on the team, even if it was only $1 more than the next guy. Too much of my 'me' attitude for my liking.

He's not the player he once was I think he'll find it hard to remove Storey from the SS spot in Colorado.
    Yes agree he is getting traded if anyone will take him. The only reason the Rockies took him in the first place was to get out of a worse contract with Tulo. They might even buy him out and continue with their youth movement...

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭spud06

Hi Guys

Anybody no if there is a washington nationals fan forum on here

Thanks

spud06 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Anybody no if there is a washington nationals fan forum on here

Thanks

There is one fan on here (Reservoir Dubs Anchorman) but he hasn't been around in a while. No team specific forum for any team though. Probably not enough fans to justify one.

I'm going to seriously miss David Ortiz when he's gone. He just tripled to center field to drive in the tying run in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and the runner was at first base. His last triple was 3 years ago! So good.

Gregerson just had a disaster of an inning, couldn't find the strike zone. I don't get to watch Red Sox often this season but this is a cracker of a game

I'm going to seriously miss David Ortiz when he's gone. He just tripled to center field to drive in the tying run in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs and the runner was at first base. His last triple was 3 years ago! So good.

Gregerson just had a disaster of an inning, couldn't find the strike zone. I don't get to watch Red Sox often this season but this is a cracker of a game

WOW! Big Papi hit's his 600th career double and it's a walk-off RBI in the 11th inning

That was special. This is the man who is solely responsible for me even watching baseball, if it wasn't for him I'd have still dismissed it as a poor man's cricket.

What a man, what a moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭spud06

Jesus what the hell happened to my team the Nationals last night. We beat the Marlins in the firstl game of a double header then I wake up this morning and see we lost 7-1 in the second game :mad::mad:

Advertisement