Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Has someone been caught for PED's today??

Friend of mine text me saying there has but I'm too busy to check online..

Collabello of Toronto suspended for 80 games for testing positive according to ESPN.

Boston benefitting from some terrible pitching here from Feldman. 3 runs top of the first, most of them walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

A couple of weeks ago I was about the write "same ****, different year" for Mariners, but they've since gone onto win 8 out of 11 including road series wins against the Indians, Angels and Yankees. They are now top of AL West (but only with a 10-9 record). Sort of feels like things are coming together for them. The starting rotation could be more consistent.

I went to see them play @ Angels on Saturday (of course it was the only game of the series they lost). Angels Stadium is really starting to show it's age and is pretty terrible compared to Safeco Field. Food options were not great either and it was $14(!) for premium beer. Still there was a good fireworks display at the end. I've now been to 5 of the 30 stadiums (Angels Stadium, Citi Field, O.Co Coliseum, AT&T Park, Safeco Field). They sure love Mike Trout down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Bluejays pitching is a HUGE problem right now. Don't wanna see Dickey starting again and the bullpen is losing us too many games. Worrying times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭8-10

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Bluejays pitching is a HUGE problem right now. Don't wanna see Dickey starting again and the bullpen is losing us too many games. Worrying times.

I think that the AL East might be the weakest division in baseball right now, which is unusual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

TimRiggins wrote:

It's still too early to be concerned. They had the same record this time last year. Cecil and Storen will come good; Dickey I don't know but he'll be starting for the foreseeable future, that's for sure.

When everything starts clicking they'll start winning series, mark my words. Let's see where they're at in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

mod9maple wrote: »
    It's still too early to be concerned. They had the same record this time last year. Cecil and Storen will come good; Dickey I don't know but he'll be starting for the foreseeable future, that's for sure.

When everything starts clicking they'll start winning series, mark my words. Let's see where they're at in August.

I agree. No one's running away with that division so as long as they can stay around .500 or a couple of games above, they should should be relevant in August when it matters.

I agree. No one's running away with that division so as long as they can stay around .500 or a couple of games above, they should should be relevant in August when it matters.

Exactly. The rotation is a strength, with Happ, Estrada, Stroman and even Sanchez who has started well despite one rough start. Dickey I don't know, but we'll see. Any team can strengthen a bp at the deadline and call ups from the minors.

As for the defense and offense - both some of the best in the majors. This team will make the playoffs, of that I'm sure. Far too early to worry.

Exactly. The rotation is a strength, with Happ, Estrada, Stroman and even Sanchez who has started well despite one rough start. Dickey I don't know, but we'll see. Any team can strengthen a bp at the deadline and call ups from the minors.

As for the defense and offense - both some of the best in the majors. This team will make the playoffs, of that I'm sure. Far too early to worry.

Cecil's numbers (0-4,5.19 ERA) are crazy. No way should a reliever have those kind of numbers at this stage of the year, especially W-L

I do agree that it's too early to tell, but there are some worrying signs.

Bart v Billy

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/21753540/v629910683/cinnym-hamilton-races-colon-to-first-on-ground-ball

I reckon Bart would have beaten him had the throw been on line.

• Advertisement

Padres getting another right hiding! They actually started well and were 4 - 3 in middle of third. Giants not finished yet. ........

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Padres getting another right hiding! They actually started well and were 4 - 3 in middle of third. Giants not finished yet. ........

Started well?? Did you watch Cashner in the first couple of innings?

It's all relative isn't it!

Arieta's streak of not giving up a run at home ends at 52 & 2/3s. He was even toying with them in the first by loading the bases but then got out of it unscathed.

Another PED suspension with Miami's Dee Gordon getting 80 games. That's a big one as he was the NL batting champion last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

He's been working extra hard with the Marlins hitting coach :pac: Big blow for them of course

Is it fair to say the Phillies aren't going to be anywhere near as bad as was thought? Didn't see any of the games but would never have expected them to sweep the Nats and give up so few runs in the process.

Is it fair to say the Phillies aren't going to be anywhere near as bad as was thought? Didn't see any of the games but would never have expected them to sweep the Nats and give up so few runs in the process.

PaddyPower had their win line at 65 this year and I took the over, think the Braves will be finishing bottom. Posted my division prediction over on the Predictions thread btw so not aftertiming. I bet on all 30 win lines each year and last year was my worst since I started - I went 15 wins and 15 losses!

I have Phils @67 and on early season form I think that's conservative. Delighted to see it as they're my NL team

I was listening to a Phillies beat writer on some podcast or radio show about a week ago and he was saying that he didn't expect the good run to continue deep into the season. As well as the usual small sample reason, he was saying that the pitchers are quite young and havent pitched full seasons before. So following the 10% rule, they'll probably be shut down or have their innings scaled back well before the season ends.

The future does look bright though. And they've buckets of money going forward too apparently.

I was listening to a Phillies beat writer on some podcast or radio show about a week ago and he was saying that he didn't expect the good run to continue deep into the season. As well as the usual small sample reason, he was saying that the pitchers are quite young and havent pitched full seasons before. So following the 10% rule, they'll probably be shut down or have their innings scaled back well before the season ends.

The future does look bright though. And they've buckets of money going forward too apparently.

Ryan Howard's contract expiring is an extra $25m

8-10 wrote:
    Ryan Howard's contract expiring is an extra $25m

What the heck happened to him? Injuries? Wasn't he once meant to be the next big thing? :/

• Advertisement

What the heck happened to him? Injuries? Wasn't he once meant to be the next big thing? :/

Age.

He was great in his prime (around 08-10) when the Phillies were good. Along with Rollins, Utley etc. they had a great line up. But the Philies overpaid him with his current contract that no one would take.

Age.

He was great in his prime (around 08-10) when the Phillies were good. Along with Rollins, Utley etc. they had a great line up. But the Philies overpaid him with his current contract that no one would take.

Such a good team. I have great memories of being in Philadelphia bars for their pennant win and World Series in 2009

8-10 wrote: »
    PaddyPower had their win line at 65 this year and I took the over, think the Braves will be finishing bottom. Posted my division prediction over on the Predictions thread btw so not aftertiming. I bet on all 30 win lines each year and last year was my worst since I started - I went 15 wins and 15 losses!

I have Phils @67 and on early season form I think that's conservative. Delighted to see it as they're my NL team

They have a reasonably good pitching staff. Starters all under 6.00 I think and that has dropped with their good run.

Definitely going in the right direction.

What's up with the Yankees this year?

This breaks down the numbers

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/117814/whats-wrong-with-the-yankees-quite-a-bit

Will Chapman or Girardi get the boot?

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/117814/whats-wrong-with-the-yankees-quite-a-bit

Subconsciously thinking about Chapman's suspension ending?I presume you mean Cashman.

Age catching up with the hitters is one problem isn't it? A-Rod out injured now too. Poor average but at least he was hitting the odd bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

My god. If I was Cashman I think I'd rather get fired than have to fix that.

For me, this is a team that overachieved last season. We have a home run team that doesn't actually hit home runs. Good luck with that.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    My god. If I was Cashman I think I'd rather get fired than have to fix that.

For me, this is a team that overachieved last season. We have a home run team that doesn't actually hit home runs. Good luck with that.

Wasn't it last year or the year before that the team had more players in their 40's than in their 20's?

Just catching upon last night's stuff now. Bloody hell, Jake Arieta is unbelievable.

http://espn.go.com/blog/mlb/rumors/post/_/id/24163/mlb-rumor-central-who-will-attend-tim-lincecums-showcase

Tim Lincecum looking for a job. I'd love if he was able to come back and be effective, even if it's out of the bullpen. I loved watching him in his heyday.

• Advertisement

More PED suspensions on the way apparently (praying for no Mets on the list as I type)

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/15458724/more-ped-busts-coming-major-league-baseball-soon

Advertisement