Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2016 Season Thread

Options
  • 01-04-2016 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

Might as well get this up and running for Sunday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Opening Day! This means the start of Summer (in the States anyway), right?
    Nope! It's still football season weather. The first pitch of the season in Pittsburgh will be in a windchill in the 20's or 30's. Ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

First run of the year batted in by a pitcher. Who needs the DH....!!!!

First run of the year batted in by a pitcher. Who needs the DH....!!!!

National League til you die!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Bluejays picking up where we left off, Donaldson and Bautista get home in the 1st inning!

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Bluejays picking up where we left off, Donaldson and Bautista get home in the 1st inning!

And I have Chris Archer as my AL Cy Young winner! Not the best start to my picks.

• Advertisement

I see ESPN haven't taken the hints and are persisting with that stupid strike zone box.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I see ESPN haven't taken the hints and are persisting with that stupid strike zone box.

It really adds nothing. It's more distracting than anything.

And I have Chris Archer as my AL Cy Young winner! Not the best start to my picks.

Wouldn't judge him on opening day facing the Jays death row! Not a bad shout imo

Wouldn't judge him on opening day facing the Jays death row! Not a bad shout imo

I know, I was only joking. My picks are traditionally awful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What's going on with opening day being 3 games on a Sunday ?

I know ESPN rob opening day from the fans of one club each year by having the first Sunday night game at 8pm but this year there are a few today, why ?

The bulk of games are usually Monday.

• Advertisement

I know, I was only joking. My picks are traditionally awful though.

Fair enough, I'm still quite a new fan so wouldn't make any picks. Moved to Toronto last year, was hard not get into it, All anyone was talking about was the Jays.

Fair enough, I'm still quite a new fan so wouldn't make any picks. Moved to Toronto last year, was hard not get into it, All anyone was talking about was the Jays.

Make some picks anyway. There's a new thread set up for this year's. You can't do any worse than the rest of us!

What's going on with opening day being 3 games on a Sunday ?

I know ESPN rob opening day from the fans of one club each year by having the first Sunday night game at 8pm but this year there are a few today, why ?

The bulk of games are usually Monday.

Enjoy it. The more games on at a time we can watch it in Ireland the better.

Make some picks anyway. There's a new thread set up for this year's. You can't do any worse than the rest of us!

Outside of the Jays my knowledge is very very limited, still wouldn't be 100% sure what teams are in what divisions! Chris Archer has turned it around since though!

Was almost sure that Chris Archer would be replaced but he's struck out 12 batters since a dodgy opening.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Enjoy it. The more games on at a time we can watch it in Ireland the better.

That's true, April usually has more games at decent hours for us that later in the summer

Tulowitski - First home run of the season.

Marcus Stroman is having a great night.

Alot of people here think Tulo is gonna have a huge year. Stroman too, Hopefully he stays fit. Says alot about his character that he went and got a degree while rehabbing last year.

Pity the Yankees/Astros game was rained out. Not only because I was looking forward to seeing the game, but because I wanted to see who ended up with John Oliver's seats.

http://deadspin.com/john-oliver-rudely-interrupts-yankees-grounds-crews-ym-1768872424

• Advertisement

Just in case you were wondering what every MLB player's salary was for the year

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/mlb/salaries/

Pity the Yankees/Astros game was rained out. Not only because I was looking forward to seeing the game, but because I wanted to see who ended up with John Oliver's seats.

http://deadspin.com/john-oliver-rudely-interrupts-yankees-grounds-crews-ym-1768872424

Was that game due to be on BT Sport/ESPN ?

If hopefully they will put Red Sox @ Indians in its place.

Edit : Just see now that Sox @ Indians is also off.

You sometimes would question the sense of starting teams for the east and north east at home this time of year.

Start out west, down south or in enclosed locations for a series or two at least to give the weather a chance.

Was that game due to be on BT Sport/ESPN ?

If hopefully they will put Red Sox @ Indians in its place.

Edit : Just see now that Sox @ Indians is also off.

You sometimes would question the sense of starting teams for the east and north east at home this time of year.

Start out west and down south for a series or two at least to give the weather a chance.

Yeah it was supposed to be shown. They replayed the Mets/Royals from last night instead and then put on the live showing of Baseball Tonight. Mariners v Rangers follows at 9.

Start out west, down south or in enclosed locations for a series or two at least to give the weather a chance.

I think when this issue came up in previous years, the argument against it was the southern or domed teams don't want a disproportionate number of home games in early April as apart from opening day, crowds are typically smaller with kids still being in school etc. early in the year so their revenues will be down.

It is ridiculous though. There was snow in Cleveland this morning apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Cano is back anyway - line drive HR in his first at-bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Good strong start for the Cubs last night. Jake Arrieta picking up where he left off last season. Seven shutout innings with two hits and only one walk. Bats fired for a 9-0 win.

It's incredibly frustrating what they have done this offseason. I've been at about 15 Yankee games and not once have I had "real" tickets from ticketmaster, I just go to Stubhub and get a ticket for that night. This you-can't-print-from-home anymore is some serious bullsh1t to keep the prices of tickets at an artificially high level. Expect even more empty seats at Yankee Stadium.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    It's incredibly frustrating what they have done this offseason. I've been at about 15 Yankee games and not once have I had "real" tickets from ticketmaster, I just go to Stubhub and get a ticket for that night. This you-can't-print-from-home anymore is some serious bullsh1t to keep the prices of tickets at an artificially high level. Expect even more empty seats at Yankee Stadium.

I presume it's the 2 lads in the green who won the tickets for today's game. I haven't seen a close up yet so can't make out exactly what they're wearing.

Edit - Are they Ninja Turtles?

I presume it's the 2 lads in the green who won the tickets for today's game. I haven't seen a close up yet so can't make out exactly what they're wearing.

Edit - Are they Ninja Turtles?

Haha, I believe so.

• Advertisement

I know we had one in Nationals/Braves game on Monday but last night saw the first contentious call on the new slide rule and it changed the game from a 4-3 Toronto lead to a game ending double play 3-2 win for TB.

By the letter of the law it was probably the correct call but there's going to be some debate about this for the first few weeks of the season Id imagine.

Advertisement