Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Seems they've picked a location for their outlet. (Second image)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Ah now here, Castle Street? Like, the scuzzy little street between Dublin Castle and the top of Dame Street? If Tesla are seriously going to open a store beside Burdocks chipper and the Lord Edward (as wonderful as they are), good luck to them but my guess is that's a random pin on the map signifying 'Dublin' as opposed to the actual location, next to 'World of Elegance' hair & beauty salon.....

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

JayeL wrote: »
    Ah now here, Castle Street? Like, the scuzzy little street between Dublin Castle and the top of Dame Street? If Tesla are seriously going to open a store beside Burdocks chipper and the Lord Edward (as wonderful as they are), good luck to them but my guess is that's a random pin on the map signifying 'Dublin' as opposed to the actual location, next to 'World of Elegance' hair & beauty salon.....

Store and Service Centre is planned for Unit 92, Bracken Road, Sandyford, across the road from Audi. :)

There's some interesting pics/plans of the site on the DLR planning website.

Also it looks like the Supercharger site at J3/M8 Ballycolla was approved by Laois coco.

Exciting times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

JayeL wrote: »

I presumed it was a charger station, not a store :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

So, Electrek are reporting on a test mule Tesla have driving around that is probably representative of a high specced Model 3. Dual motor, 70kWh battery. With a drag coefficient of 0.21, Electrek's math puts EPA cycle range around 490km.

With previous Tesla statements regarding the base single motor putting its range at 350km. That would track with the base battery being 50 - 55 kWh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,790 ✭✭✭✭unkel

0.21? Good grief, that is spectacularly good. Drive from Dublin to Cork doing 160km/h without having to charge. That's my idea of where I want EVs to be :D

unkel wrote: »
    0.21? Good grief, that is spectacularly good. Drive from Dublin to Cork doing 160km/h without having to charge. That's my idea of where I want EVs to be :D

I think EV's are near tipping point to where range isn't the main factor putting people off them.

More news today. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-model-idUSKBN15N2W7

Reuters are reporting Tesla will be shutting down X and S production at the Fremont factory for the first pilot production run of the model 3 on February 20th.

The downtime will also allow for necessary upgrades to the paint shop and metal presses.

I don't understand why any one would put a deposit for a car they haven't even seen, less driven

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I don't understand why any one would put a deposit for a car they haven't even seen, less driven

Even if I saw it I dont think I'd want the first "batch" off the line of any new car be it EV or ICE. Got burned once with that and wont repeat it, if at all possible.

Unless the warranty was sufficiently good that the issues didnt cost me. 5yrs on everything, at least.

Whats the warranty on a Model 3 going to be?... not the battery but all the other stuff... chargers, inverters, handles, switches etc.?

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    Whats the warranty on a Model 3 going to be?... not the battery but all the other stuff... chargers, inverters, handles, switches etc.?

8 years on the drive train (battery, motor, chargers inverters), 3 years on everything else.

I wouldn't be too worried, the first right hand drive units won't be coming off the line until more than a year into production.

The car will be good, there's no doubt about it. And there will be issues, that Tesla will address. Their warranty is good too.

So if you are interested in the car, to be one of the first people to get it in this country, you will have to put your €1,000 deposit down. Probably now-ish. If you don't mind waiting up to say a year after those people to get the car, then don't put a deposit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

There would be some similarities to buying apartments off plans during our glory years when we were the toast of the world.
    But one difference between the apartments and the Model 3 is that you knew how much the apartment would cost whenever it was ready.

josip wrote: »
    There would be some similarities to buying apartments off plans during our glory years when we were the toast of the world.
    But one difference between the apartments and the Model 3 is that you knew how much the apartment would cost whenever it was ready.

In some cases those apartments were never finished ;)

Personally I'd love to be one of the first owners and based on model S and X reviews you're likely to get a cracking car. But the voice in my head tells me to hold off and wait. Both S and X were delayed so worst case, it could be 2019 or even 2020 before we get delivery.

Autonomous could really take off in that time, so you wouldn't know what kind of cars could be around the corner.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well the deposit is refundable if you decide not to go ahead with the order. So it isn't really equivalent.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

eeguy wrote: »
    Autonomous could really take off in that time, so you wouldn't know what kind of cars could be around the corner.

True, but then Tesla seems to be leading that area too. All their new Model S and X's are equipment with all the equipment needed for self driving, it is then just a software update.

The same might be possible for the Model 3.

bk wrote: »
    True, but then Tesla seems to be leading that area too. All their new Model S and X's are equipment with all the equipment needed for self driving, it is then just a software update.

The same might be possible for the Model 3.

Tesla are taking a step by step approach, while Ford and a few others are going straight for the "no steering wheel" approach. It'll be interesting to see which wins out in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Because if I dont want it come the time after test driving it extensively, I get my money back. Making that extra fiver in interest from the savings account wouldnt quite make up for having to wait an extra 2 years to get potentially the best affordable car of our generation because I didnt stick a deposit down

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Just noticed that the Model 3 reservation page has a 'pay later' option. Does that mean you can effectively add your name to the list without forking out any cash - or just that you get a few days to wire the money or something?

eeguy wrote: »
    Tesla are taking a step by step approach, while Ford and a few others are going straight for the "no steering wheel" approach. It'll be interesting to see which wins out in the near future.

What you mean is that Ford, etc. are fluting about in the lab with this technology, developing it in case they need it, but hoping that they won't need it or can at least delay it for as long as possible. Just as they are doing with EV's

The problem for car companies is that self driving cars will lead to on-demand driving services like Uber, which in the long term will massively reduce the demand for new cars.

Also BTW Tesla is also aiming for the no steering wheel approach (it probably will still have a steering wheel, you just don't have to use it), they are way ahead of anyone else on this.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    What you mean is that Ford, etc. are fluting about in the lab with this technology, developing it in case they need it, but hoping that they won't need it or can at least delay it for as long as possible. Just as they are doing with EV's

The problem for car companies is that self driving cars will lead to on-demand driving services like Uber, which in the long term will massively reduce the demand for new cars.

Also BTW Tesla is also aiming for the no steering wheel approach (it probably will still have a steering wheel, you just don't have to use it), they are way ahead of anyone else on this.

This is the other factor. We're in for an interesting few years as this tech finds its feet.

Just noticed that the Model 3 reservation page has a 'pay later' option. Does that mean you can effectively add your name to the list without forking out any cash - or just that you get a few days to wire the money or something?

You're given a reservation number but you don't go onto the waiting list until the deposit is paid.

KCross wrote: »
    Even if I saw it I dont think I'd want the first "batch" off the line of any new car be it EV or ICE. Got burned once with that and wont repeat it, if at all possible.

Unless the warranty was sufficiently good that the issues didnt cost me. 5yrs on everything, at least.

Here in Ireland we won't be in the first batch. Late 2018/19 is the expected delivery date..

We've been given the basic cost of the 3.

Scottie99 wrote: »
    We've been given the basic cost of the 3.

Which is?

Which is?

$35,000 worldwide before local taxes

See my calculation a few pages back. If the Model 3 is deemed to be assembled in the EU (most likely Tilburg, NL where the Model S and Model X are assembled for the whole of the EU), there are no import duties due and the net price to the consumer here in IE incl. all taxes after all subsidies are applied (€5k subsidy, €5k discount on the VRT) is about €39,000

Not bad, but nearly twice the price of a base Nissan Leaf and nearly 60% more than a Hyundai Ioniq...

That's pretty pricey to be honest. 0-60 what under 7 seconds I believe was quoted ?

There's want to be a lot of standard kit for that price.

unkel wrote: »
    $35,000 worldwide before local taxes

See my calculation a few pages back. If the Model 3 is deemed to be assembled in the EU (most likely Tilburg, NL where the Model S and Model X are assembled for the whole of the EU), there are no import duties due and the net price to the consumer here in IE incl. all taxes after all subsidies are applied (€5k subsidy, €5k discount on the VRT) is about €39,000

Not bad, but nearly twice the price of a base Nissan Leaf and nearly 60% more than a Hyundai Ioniq...

I've seen your calculations Unkel and I've also seen 5-10 other poster's calculations in the pages prior to that.
    Is your calculation a more accurate, up to date estimate than the others, or is it based on the same basic information as the others?

Most of the other calculations are incorrect (wrong way of applying VAT and VRT, not taking into account OMSP, etc.). Mine is also based on some (clearly stated) assumptions, but I believe the calculation itself is correct.

Nothing to do with being up to date, the Model 3 is still $35k in the USA and the VRT and VAT percentages over here haven't changed over the last few years and neither have the subsidies

• Advertisement

That's pretty pricey to be honest. 0-60 what under 7 seconds I believe was quoted ?

There's want to be a lot of standard kit for that price.

It will be well under half the price of the model S. It is expected to have the same (autopilot) software and it will be a lot quicker and with a much longer range than anything for sale at the moment (apart from the model S)

It's not cheap, but it's a lot of EV for the money. And obviously Tesla will want to pitch it as a premium car (not in the same league as a Nissan, a Chevrolet or a Hyundai)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement