Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In a hundred years what will we look back on as our greatest shame?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

our ability to stop water charges by protest and our inability to accept refugee's fleeing a warzone....

I knew this would come up in the first page. lumping in domestic water charges with the refugee crisis as something that will be a source of historical shame for your children's children ? really? get a ****ing grip on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Our parasitic rape of the natural environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

steddyeddy wrote: »
    It's extraordinary the way most people here want to lesson the suffering of others yet one or two people want to exclude people based on their ethnicity, further the lot of some at the expense of the vulnerable or get rid of state benefits.

Our great shame in our past has generally revolved around our treatment of the poor, refugees or other ethnicities. There's no moment in history I can think of where we can be happy different ethnicities were victimised.

If an open borders movement (which isn't itself moral by the way) does lead to the destabilisation of Europe then in 200 years people will look back at that as this generations lunacy.

Colonialism and immigration are reverse sides of the same coin, elites need capital and labour to move around the world to the best advantage of capital, and where people move and who moves depends on what societies are producing the surplus populations. Just look at Peter Sutherland. You can believe his support for refugees is moral, or -- more realistically -- he is acting in his class interests.

I knew this would come up in the first page. lumping in domestic water charges with the refugee crisis as something that will be a source of historical shame for your children's children ? really? get a ****ing grip on yourself.

The fact that water charges were a bigger complaint than the very real housing and much more costly crisis is itself ridiculous even now.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭shannonman81

That we parent out kids from behind our phones... That Connor mcgregors new suit or Kim Kardashians new hair cut is more important than our child's development

That we have metaphorically stuck our heads in the sand on so many issues... The immigration crisis... Global warming... Russia and it's treatment of minorities...

• Advertisement

That we parent out kids from behind our phones... That Connor mcgregors new suit or Kim Kardashians new hair cut is more important than our child's development

That we have metaphorically stuck our heads in the sand on so many issues... The immigration crisis... Global warming... Russia and it's treatment of minorities...

Russia? Jesus wept. There's so much more going on than Russia.

Allowing the Catholic Church have the primary role in shaping our fledgling Republic and the abuse of that trust which followed

200 years from now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Serious answer: the uncontrolled growth of humans on the planet and impact that this has on the environment.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Not in the US it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Our failure to replace the slavish allegiance to the Catholic Church with any set of civic values for our society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Worldwide it would have to be climate change.

Domestically i'd say FF are this nations greatest shame and the fact people continue to give them a vote.

The OP asked about 2116's attitude to 2016 not 2016's attitude to 1956.

If people in 2116 are going to bemoan the Catholic Church in Ireland (I don't think they will care) it will be 1956 they hate on not 2016.

The op asked about more than Ireland. Here's what I think the future will consider madness.

1) the neo conservative movement. Power of AIPAC etc
    2) extreme and increasing power of banking capital.
    3) the disaster that is the euro.
    4) the disaster that is the response to mass immigration. Read that how you will.
    5) slow action on defossilization of energy.
    6) America's cultural dominance and extraordinary military dominance and its recent destruction of the Middle East.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The islamification of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Wat?

People with depression are being treat with you know, medication for depression. I fail to see the issue with that.

The issue is, I think, medication as a first resort. Before less potentially damaging methods of cure are explored like counselling etc. The wily nilly administration of these mind altering substances without adequate understanding of a patients situation is bordering on reckless. These drugs were intended as a last resort, when all else has failed. We have become far too pill happy as a society.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Our continued mistreatment of animals for purely entertainment purposes.

The idea of breeding an animal into captivity, with no concern for the animals natural environment, and forcing them into stressful conditions and witholding food in order for them to do tricks for clapping morons.

Forcing creatures that normally reside in tropical wild conditions to travel around the country in a tiny cage performing for humans for their whole lives, with no chance to live life as nature intended.

Our general mistreatment of all animals, not just captive ones, as a whole. Cats and dogs are considered domesticated family pets but some of the horror stories I've heard in recent times made me sick to my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,003 ✭✭✭pgj2015

JOB BRIDGE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

KKkitty wrote: »
    Homelessness being a rampant part of our society. Even knowing there's still unfinished housing estates that won't be completed in the next year or so that could be homes for people is sickening.

Homelessness will not be a shame of 2016, or early 21st century. There has always been homelessness in Ireland, and in a 100 years, there still will be.

Ive read a few people say its a shame. Well what are yous doing to help homelessness???

I watched what George carlin had to say about it and he makes great points. But we(humans) are too selfish to care about homeless people, and thats the way it is. This country will never be rid of homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭u2me

Why do good people stand idle when evil triumphs.

Why is it we watch children being washed up on beaches and innocent people cross oceans to escape a man made disaster. Yet we close our borders? (True many are fake but most are legit looking for refuge)

Why is it we watch our climate change, our wild life being destroyed and our oceans being polluted, yet we do nothing?

Why is it we have become consumed by social media and the illusions it presents us with?

Why is it we continue to facilitate suppression of cultures and people in fear instead of trying to understand and learn from them? (The vast majority are good people)

Our biggest shame is in another 100 years we will look back again and say why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Not in the US it isn't.

Well it is in Ireland. I dont know how old you are, but 40 years ago, life was much harder than now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The US health system is barbaric and anti science. I'm ashamed of it now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The islamification of Europe.
    This.

The first European country to try a referendum on adopting sharia law will be the answer to this thread. It's been mentioned by imams a few times, including here.

I reckon as well more scandals like the Rotherham sex abuse case will show up; in the future, we'll look at how a blind eye was turned to Muslim crimes in the same way as we look at the likes of the Magdalane laundries today.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

AIG sponsoring Dublin GAA lol. Dublin Gaa are similar to a professional soccer club with there sponsorship money and will win everything in the football for the next 10 years

Yup, that's a far greater shame than systematic covering up of child sex abuse alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

cdeb wrote: »
    This.

The first European country to try a referendum on adopting sharia law will be the answer to this thread. It's been mentioned by imams a few times, including here.

I reckon as well more scandals like the Rotherham sex abuse case will show up; in the future, we'll look at how a blind eye was turned to Muslim crimes in the same way as we look at the likes of the Magdalane laundries today.
    So Muslims have a monopoly on sex abuse now. Hmmmmm....
    Edit. Actually you seem to mean we will have certain people afraid to mention things for fear of seeming racist which is a fair concern. Sorry

Is that what I said?

Edit - your edit acknowledged, and it's correct.

Though I do think the majority of cover-up cases which will emerge in future will involve the Muslim communities across Europe. And mass immigration will be included as a "great shame"

u2me wrote: »
    Why do good people stand idle when evil triumphs.

Why is it we watch children being washed up on beaches and innocent people cross oceans to escape a man made disaster. Yet we close our borders? (True many are fake but most are legit looking for refuge)

Why is it we watch our climate change, our wild life being destroyed and our oceans being polluted, yet we do nothing?

Why is it we have become consumed by social media and the illusions it presents us with?

Why is it we continue to facilitate suppression of cultures and people in fear instead of trying to understand and learn from them? (The vast majority are good people)

Our biggest shame is in another 100 years we will look back again and say why?

I doubt it. In 100 years I doubt if today's attitudes on mass migration will be common. At least elite attitudes.

All of the elite ideologues of today, globalisation, mass migration, the euro, bombing places to democracy (the invasions of Iraq and the Arab Spring interventions were supported on humanitarian grounds by the centre left), all are failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

enzo roco wrote:
    Well it is in Ireland. I dont know how old you are, but 40 years ago, life was much harder than now.

This is highly debatable but to some degree, I can understand where your coming from. I do prefer Michael Hudsons explaination of wealth and debt and the way we have confused them, I.e. we think we have become wealthier but all we have become is richer in debt. Our standards of living have risen but we owe far more. It's an unsustainable model.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    AIG sponsoring Dublin GAA lol. Dublin Gaa are similar to a professional soccer club with there sponsorship money and will win everything in the football for the next 10 years

Is this a joke??? A bad one.

In a hundred years, no one will give a flying fudge about the all ireland champions 2016-2026.

Look at some shame from the last hundred years. I can think of many, but gaa matters are not important.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Joe Duffy pocketing every single penny from a buuuke about the children of 1916 (that 80% was no doubt was put together and researched by his team of production staff) and getting free publicity on every media outlet while campaigning for said buuuuke to be instated on our school curriculum.

Shameful stuff.

Advertisement