Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In a hundred years what will we look back on as our greatest shame?

Options
  • 26-03-2016 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

If we look back 200 years ago in the western world we can see segregation based on race, chemical weapons like mustard gas, eugenics, throwing single women into "laundries" and also the last dregs of colonialism and the destruction of indigenous cultures.

Now all of those things were considered acceptable in their own times and it was often the more radical members of society that rebelled against the status quo

What about the status quo in our day and age? What do you think people will look back on and wonder how was that acceptable?

One thing that springs to mind is India's caste system. It's a form of apartheid based solely on prejudice. It has no place in a country with a space program.

Another is the destruction and near extinction of some of our closest relatives the non human apes such as the orangutan or gorilla.

Any more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭baldbear

steddyeddy wrote: »
    If we look back 200 years ago in the western world we can see segregation based on race, chemical weapons like mustard gas, eugenics, throwing single women into "laundries" and also the last dregs of colonialism and the destruction of indigenous cultures.

Now all of those things were considered acceptable in their own times and it was often the more radical members of society that rebelled against the status quo

What about the status quo in our day and age? What do you think people will look back on and wonder how was that acceptable?

One thing that springs to mind is India's caste system. It's a form of apartheid based solely on prejudice. It has no place in a country with a space program.

Another is the destruction and near extinction of some of our closest relatives the non human apes such as the orangutan or gorilla.

Any more?

Tayto chocolate bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Sciencenerd being made a mod....

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

North Korea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

our ability to stop water charges by protest and our inability to accept refugee's fleeing a warzone....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Climate change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

steddyeddy wrote: »

Any more?

I'd argue throwing women into laundries is still Ireland's greatest shame since it still exists in living memory and the people responsible are still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The amount of time people wasted on the internet.

Reality TV.

Assuming monkeys were the dumb relatives. They were...it's the ****ing cats that need watching.

If only we had elected Trump ...he foresaw all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

somefeen wrote: »
    I'd argue throwing women into laundries is still Ireland's greatest shame since it still exists in living memory and the people responsible are still around.

Yes I wouldn't disagree with that. I'm ashamed of what some Irish people got away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Worldwide we still have much of that going on.

For me, our greatest shame is that we still can't learn from our mistakes. We still marginalise, we still segregate, we still dehumanise.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

Homelessness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I wouldn't assume we'll still be around in 100 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Panti Bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Religion though I'm not that hopeful. In the modern world where all information is at the end of your fingertips on the old tinternet I really don't get why people are still religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Without this descending into a 'bloody bankers' moanfest - the fact that an almost complete lack of independent regulation allowed the financial sector to bring the world economy to its knees, and then we allowed it to just go back to business with very little change.

No lessons learned whatsoever, it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BlibBlab

An obesity epidemic side by side with starvation and malnutrition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Burning fossil fuel and not looking after our natural resources and reserves for our own people.
    Homelessness, hopefully this will be a thing of the past...
    FG
    FF
    All the political parties atm
    Mobile phones
    Banks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Sending Dustin the Turkey as an irish entry to Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Probably our utter wrecking of the environment while we have a chance to change.

The whole "only when the last tree etc. is gone will you realise that you can't eat money" will come painfully true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I think it could be our attitude to mental health problems. The fact that there's a hidden epidemic of people on anti-depressants but it was never brought up as an issue in the recent general election. This also ties into the homelessness issue as a lot of the long-term homeless people are people with mental illnesses who have fallen through the cracks. I think the issue is slowly improving though and for that reason in 100 years time it could be a lot better situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

No learnings from the boom to bust of the Celtic Tiger era and history repeating itself now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Racism

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Abortion ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

A 100 years from now people will look back and see many people cared about the world around them and wanted to change it for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I genuinely think what we think we have to be ashamed of today, will pale in comparison to our lack of humanity in 100 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Is anyone else sick of hearing about what the 1916 signatories would think of the modern Ireland 'they died for'? They didn't live in this time, who gives a **** what they they'd think. It's not easy living in any era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Getting sentencing ar5ewars.
    Multiple offenders let out to re-offend.
    Steal big and it isn't a problem.
    Put €100 in the poor box and you can box the head off anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Jedward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Is anyone else sick of hearing about what the 1916 signatories would think of the modern Ireland 'they died for'? They didn't live in this time, who gives a **** what they they'd think. It's not easy living in any era.

Probably wouldn't have put their lives on the line if they knew it would end up like this...I wouldnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Probably wouldn't have put their lives on the line if they knew it would end up like this...I wouldnt

Of course they would. They fought the imposters. We're a free country now, doing the best we can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Using pieces of paper to clean our arses post defecation

Advertisement