Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In a hundred years what will we look back on as our greatest shame?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

CaraMay wrote: »
    Allowing people, who are able to work, to sit at home and live off the state for their entire lives.

Of all the things in the world going on and this, this will be our greatest shame!? Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

enzo roco wrote: »
    Is this a joke??? A bad one.

In a hundred years, no one will give a flying fudge about the all ireland champions 2016-2026.

Look at some shame from the last hundred years. I can think of many, but gaa matters are not important.

I very much think this is mainly sattirical humour. Its more a joke you are taking it so seriously............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    This is highly debatable but to some degree, I can understand where your coming from. I do prefer Michael Hudsons explaination of wealth and debt and the way we have confused them, I.e. we think we have become wealthier but all we have become is richer in debt. Our standards of living have risen but we owe far more. It's an unsustainable model.

Im not familiar with Michael Hudson, I'll look him up.

But what i meant is, I am under 40, but talking to my parents and grandparents. They struggled to put food on the table 40 years go. There was a lack of jobs. They struggled so much...
    And I look at myself and my peers, we are comfortable, educated, have disposable income etc. Sure we have our problems. But its laughable to my parent's generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,026 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I very much think this is mainly sattirical humour. Its more a joke you are taking it so seriously............

i was being serious :D:D:D:D. it only a joke

A very poor joke though. I know its after hours, but come on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

But what i meant is, I am under 40, but talking to my parents and grandparents. They struggled to put food on the table 40 years go. There was a lack of jobs. They struggled so much...
    And I look at myself and my peers, we are comfortable, educated, have disposable income etc. Sure we have our problems. But its laughable to my parent's generation.

Some people were well off 40 years ago. Some people struggle now to put food on the table.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Society's greatest shame in the future?

Still not having invented a "sarcastic" font.

Joe Duffy pocketing every single penny from a buuuke about the children of 1916 (that 80% was no doubt was put together and researched by his team of production staff) and getting free publicity on every media outlet while campaigning for said buuuuke to be instated on our school curriculum.

Shameful stuff.

He will not be remembered in a hundred years. He is not exactly the James Joyce of our times.

melissak wrote: »
    Some people were well off 40 years ago. Some people struggle now to put food on the table.

I know, I said that.

But a very small minority have problems putting food on the table nowadays. And there is a decent welfare system to make sure people dont starve.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i was being serious :D:D:D:D. it only a joke

On a serious note, profesaionalism of our national sport will be eventually something to be proud of. We have a superb system and most entertaining national institution in place and every encouragement should be granted to youth. I cant see it getting out of hand considering we are such a small nation and foreign interest is not substantial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Our greatest shame will be we won't be here to tell the tale. First the endangered species will go and mankind will follow.

If we persist on the path of destruction, life probably will not exist as we know it.

He will not be remembered in a hundred years. He is not exactly the James Joyce of our times.

Clonnnnnnnned Duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

We're made up of Celts, Normans, Vikings, Anglo-Saxons? Who is we?

You can throw in a few North African/Spanish into that mix aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

steddyeddy wrote: »
    If we look back 200 years ago in the western world we can see segregation based on race, chemical weapons like mustard gas, eugenics, throwing single women into "laundries" and also the last dregs of colonialism and the destruction of indigenous cultures.

Now all of those things were considered acceptable in their own times and it was often the more radical members of society that rebelled against the status quo

What about the status quo in our day and age? What do you think people will look back on and wonder how was that acceptable?

One thing that springs to mind is India's caste system. It's a form of apartheid based solely on prejudice. It has no place in a country with a space program.

Another is the destruction and near extinction of some of our closest relatives the non human apes such as the orangutan or gorilla.

Any more?
    The apes aren't our relatives some scientist tried to breed a human with an ape back in the 1800's but failed after several attempts. It wasn't attempted since but they still keep the nonsense going.

A very poor joke though. I know its after hours, but come on.

I dont think he meant it to be a joke that will be remembered in 100 years. Satire is not a joke in a sense anyway....!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The apes aren't our relatives some scientist tried to breed a human with an ape back in the 1800's but failed after several attempts. It wasn't attempted since but they still keep the nonsense going.

Another great shame that people don't accept evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Another great shame that people don't accept evolution.

The shame of people who believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The shame of people who believe it.

I can't argue with views like that so I'll just do this XOXO

• Registered Users Posts: 38,026 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

setanta sports too

terrible station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

That we stood mutely and tugged our forelocks to the great leaders of the American Empire as they marauded across the Middle East (and wherever else they felt like) slaughtering millions (yes, millions!) of innocent people (for oil and geo-political advantage), reducing whole landscapes to rubble and misery ....
    and also that we let them refuel their war machines on our island as they practiced extraordinary rendition to torture camps of unknown (innocent) people from countries faraway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

That by 2016, the quality of journalism had deteriorated to the point that our newspaper of record couldn't even spell the word 'commemoration'. http://www.irishtimes.com/1916

That by 2016, the quality of journalism had deteriorated to the point that our newspaper of record couldn't even spell the word 'commemoration'. http://www.irishtimes.com/1916

People who nitpick and pretend to be offended by the most insignificant thing like a spelling error....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

The Boards Dispute Resolution Process :p (there goes another good poster, which is a pity to see...)

Are you for real?? You honestly dont believe in evolution as science has explained our incremental being? Offer me an alternative!

Actually dont bother........please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

People who nitpick and pretend to be offended by the most insignificant thing like a spelling error....

They often have mistakes in their copy, which isn't a big deal. It's a different story when we're talking about a heading though, especially when it's for the centenary of the Easter Rising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Are you for real?? You honestly dont believe in evolution as science has explained our incremental being? Offer me an alternative!

Aliens?

They often have mistakes in their copy, which isn't a big deal. It's a different story when we're talking about a heading though, especially when it's for the centenary of the Easter Rising.

Seriously though, a bloody spelling error! What is spelling though than a means of communication! I'm prettty sure that headline was in no way ambiguous to any interpreter!

Get over yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

melissak wrote: »
    I know, I said that.

But a very small minority have problems putting food on the table nowadays. And there is a decent welfare system to make sure people dont starve.

you both have very good points. id highly recommend michael hudsons work. he explains our complicated financial and economic systems very well in particular, their fundamental problems.

enzo, we re probably roughly the same age. i will agree that our standard of living has risen but this has come at a cost. theres no clear solution to these issues either and these systems are unsustainable in their current formats.

sadly our social welfare system is being slowly ripped apart. our world is slowly becoming less secure. its very complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I don't the 70's was that poor in Ireland. It depends. Middle income groups led by single earners could buy a decent house for peanuts, food wasn't scarce for them. They've also won the housing lottery and the pension lottery by retiring now.

social welfare wasn't that good then though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Any more?
    Five-year olds getting force fed chicken nuggets in McDonalds by their naïve parents.

Advertisement