Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In a hundred years what will we look back on as our greatest shame?

Options

Comments

Direct Provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

timthumbni wrote: »
    Religion though I'm not that hopeful. In the modern world where all information is at the end of your fingertips on the old tinternet I really don't get why people are still religious.

The mass hysteria and blind belief that a lump of plaster could be dancing a jig up on the side of a cliff in Ballinspittle in Cork in the 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

diomed wrote: »
    Getting sentencing ar5ewars.
    Multiple offenders let out to re-offend.
    Steal big and it isn't a problem.
    Put €100 in the poor box and you can box the head off anyone.

I wonder does the court poor box have a pre-pay option!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Facebook. If we aren't ashamed of that absolute ridiculous mindfeck then we are lost. Status. On the bog... Taking a whizz, having lunch, out for a walk etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

War in general. I think our great grandchildren will see our recent wars as pointless and as barbaric as we see the nazis. I think I'm 100 years the world will be as United / peaceful as the western countries are today. The idea that army's can go invade another country just won't be an option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

I think it could be our attitude to mental health problems. The fact that there's a hidden epidemic of people on anti-depressants but it was never brought up as an issue in the recent general election. This also ties into the homelessness issue as a lot of the long-term homeless people are people with mental illnesses who have fallen through the cracks. I think the issue is slowly improving though and for that reason in 100 years time it could be a lot better situation.

This is a huge and totally ignored issue. The mental health system in this country is shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

timthumbni wrote: »
    Facebook. If we aren't ashamed of that absolute ridiculous mindfeck then we are lost. Status. On the bog... Taking a whizz, having lunch, out for a walk etc etc.

Was going to say social media but the more I thought about it the more I believe that it will be even more prevalent in 100 years. People will live more and more within the digital world.

The mass hysteria and blind belief that a lump of plaster could be dancing a jig up on the side of a cliff in Ballinspittle in Cork in the 80s.

As an Norn iron man raised as a Presbyterian I'm not sure I get that reference though I assume it's to do with statues..... That move. Didn't Del Boy do one with the crying statue??

Doctor who ripped the arse right out of that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

The widespread sexual abuse of young children and the cover up by the church/goverments and other state institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

War in general. I think our great grandchildren will see our recent wars as pointless and as barbaric as we see the nazis. I think I'm 100 years the world will be as United / peaceful as the western countries are today. The idea that army's can go invade another country just won't be an option.

Every generation has thought that war was soon to be obsolete.

Even after WW1 and WW2 people reckoned that after having seen such horrors that people would be too scared ever to go to war again for fear of repeating it.

Naturally that hasn't happened and wars still occur, on a smaller scale of course. Invasions and standing armies fighting battles just aren't a thing any more. It's just irregulars like ISIL or Russian supported rebels vs state forces.

• Advertisement

Was going to say social media but the more I thought about it the more I believe that it will be even more prevalent in 100 years. People will live more and more within the digital world.

I joined it at the start and then the creeping realisation that my friends were actually brainless morons started to grate on me.

I particularly dislike the thanks whores who post mind numbing crap they have no knowledge or interest in just for a few thumbs up.

I agree with you that it will probably get bigger. Most People are morons though so fair plays to them for exploiting said morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The Iona Institute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Not banning Muslims entry into Europe when we had the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We didn't say stop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Allowing catholic priests to rape innocent children and we did nothing!

I guess the constant assaults we make on human conversation. Under the guise of things like "blasphemy" or "offense" or whatever term we use to shut down conversation.

I like the term one user used to describe it on boards. We have entered "idea space". And I hope in 100 years we look back in disdain on anyone who was against this move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Not banning Muslims entry into Europe when we had the chance

Giving bigots internet access......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

im afraid i cant agree with you at all but i wish i could. armies are no longer required to invade countries as theres a new form of warfare, some call it financial terrorism. the future for mankind and this planet looks bleak if we dont make dramatic changes particularly to our financial and economic systems rather quickly. if we keep going the way we re going, it ll all be done and dusted soon.

our greatest shame, the creation of fundamentally flawed economic theories and systems, neoliberalism and neoclassical theory. these alone could lead to the demise of this planet and the human race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

The soap opera that is Fair City.
    Tubridy Kenny O Connor and Darcy being left as hosts for prime time shows and also their exorbitant salaries for presenting same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Sheer ****ing greed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

I think it could be our attitude to mental health problems. The fact that there's a hidden epidemic of people on anti-depressants but it was never brought up as an issue in the recent general election. This also ties into the homelessness issue as a lot of the long-term homeless people are people with mental illnesses who have fallen through the cracks. I think the issue is slowly improving though and for that reason in 100 years time it could be a lot better situation.

Wat?

People with depression are being treat with you know, medication for depression. I fail to see the issue with that.

We live in a world where over 36 million people live with and suffer from HIV/Aids.

Less than 16 million of those people have access to the treatment that will give them a normal life, and virtually stop further infections.

It's an ongoing holocaust, one the world cares far too little about because those millions and millions who don't get treatment are mostly poor and powerless.

It's hard to think of any current inhumanity greater than that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

Failing to recognize the muslim influx of Europe as the invasion it clearly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Button_y

In Ireland: religious patronage in schools. I am ashamed now of how we are still allowing the catholic religion free reign in our kids education.

In Europe: how we are handling the refugee crisis. I have no idea how we should handle it :(

Worldwide: Oil - how we are allowing it to cause wars, destroy the environment and rule our countries and economies. The scientific motivation to find alternatives is quashed by politics and economics.

These are what I am ashamed of now. I don't pretend to have the answers, but I believe all 3 we are brushing under the carpet because they are too difficult to deal with. We look now and wonder how these things are allowed happen, instead of looking at what we are letting happen. The first time my daughter came home with a prayer from school I felt so much shame that I had "played along with" religion.

We have a habit of blaming others(govt, authorities, someone above us)"Sur, what can we do". When we look back we should blame ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Candie wrote: »
    We live in a world where over 36 million people live with and suffer from HIV/Aids.

Less than 16 million of those people have access to the treatment that will give them a normal life, and virtually stop further infections.

It's an ongoing holocaust, one the world cares far too little about because those millions and millions who don't get treatment are mostly poor and powerless.

It's hard to think of any current inhumanity greater than that.

No. Just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Without sounding complety conspiracy theorist

Allowing the accumulation of wealth at the top/richest level

I read before something like 20 people in America have as much money as the bottom 100 million

While them occupy movements may be extreme etc....them holding so much money and the poorest going without is in no way right and at root of many problems

As for how to fix this....I'm fcuked if I know....but I do think it will be looked back in 100 years as wrong to not at least a serious attempt to narrow the gap between the haves and have nots

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Without sounding complety conspiracy theorist

Allowing the accumulation of wealth at the top/richest level

I read before something like 20 people in America have as much money as the bottom 100 million

While them occupy movements may be extreme etc....them holding so much money and the poorest going without is in no way right and at root of many problems

As for how to fix this....I'm fcuked if I know....but I do think it will be looked back in 100 years as wrong to not at least a serious attempt to narrow the gap between the haves and have nots

you might enjoy the work of economists such as ellen brown, ha-joon chang, bill black and michael hudson on such matters. they have some good ideas on how we may rectify such issues

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Hipster beards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    you might enjoy the work of economists such as ellen brown, ha-joon chang, bill black and michael hudson on such matters. they have some good ideas on how we may rectify such issues

I might google them actually

As it very easy to fall over into conspiracy theory/bullsiht territory as happens most movements that attempts to tackle this and they tend to end up looking like them freemen/generally a bit tick/easily dismissed as a result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Giving up our fishing rights,for a few pints of porter and the smell of a pound.

Advertisement