Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWW : Connacht vs Leinster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We're only talking about five Leinster players anyway. Any of those five who get to play this week will definitely not be playing against Munster the following week so it's six of one, 'alf dozen of t'other.

No offence to Munster fans but I think this game will be far tougher than the Munster one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

But ye won't have George to disallow any perfectly good tries that Connacht's opposition might score, so it balances out.

I was going through the officials and misread Olly Hodges (TMO) for VIP Parking Space Hodges. 10 seconds of fear :D

stephen_n wrote: »
    No offence to Munster fans but I think this game will be far tougher than the Munster one.

I would agree though before the Munster game I would not have felt the same. Munster were a shambles against us and completely capitulated in the latter stages.

Connacht at least have a very good attack so at no stage do I think Leinster will be able to take the foot off the gas against them and expect to win.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

With Carty out and now Ronaldson also ruled out that's advantage Leinster in the goal kicking area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭b.gud

CatFromHue wrote: »
    With Carty out and now Ronaldson also ruled out that's advantage Leinster in the goal kicking area.

A few weeks ago I would have agreed with you, but I have to say AJ has been good with his kicking more recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

More one sided commentary from Leinster fans, our willies are green down here....
    Have you tried penicillin?
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    ermm no

thats not AT ALL what the poster said.

what was said was that the forecasted conditions are 'conditions more suited to the Sportsground' .... which is a meteorological fact.

nothing at all about connacht preferring wet and windy conditions... in fact what was said was that Leinster beat connacht in the RDS in conditions more likley to be met in galway
    The inference being that Connacht should have been better in those conditions as they were, by implication, more exposed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I just hope that the Leinster boys are able to give a good account of themselves given the climate change they'll have to factor in down here in Galway.

On a serious note though, it's a game where the league's most exciting and attack minded team meet the league's best defence. Thankfully George Clancy can't score any tries for Leinster this time so I think that's a bit of an advantage for us straight away. Of course a lot depends on who's released from the Irish squad. I'd love if they could just release everyone, we had a good weather and we could just genuinely see who the better team is.

Should be an absolute belter, whoever wins it should be almost guaranteed the home semi final.

As an aside, I love how our season has developed. A few weeks ago we were worried about top 6, then it was top 4 and now I think we can really focus on trying to finish in the top 2.

Think we're the better side and will be able to secure the win, we've been very good at securing bonus points lately aswell but won't be greedy this time. 4 points will do fine.

Whilst Connacht have raked up a seriously tidy 7 try bonus points so far Leinster have 4 of their own, 13 wins and a massive +152 pd. That's almost +50 over the nearest team in points (Ulster).

I wouldn't class Leinster as just defending their way to top, they're attacking well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

.ak wrote: »
    Whilst Connacht have raked up a seriously tidy 7 try bonus points so far Leinster have 4 of their own, 13 wins and a massive +152 pd. That's almost +50 over the nearest team in points (Ulster).

I wouldn't class Leinster as just defending their way to top, they're attacking well too.

The PD is so high because of the defence. They're more than capable of attack, in fact very good since Christmas, but Leinster would be classed as a defensive side. Defences win championships IMO and I'd rather that at the tail end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

CatFromHue wrote: »
    You're right, AJ is a great 10 but his goal kicking, especially at the sports ground has been lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Pat Lam is trying to capture the underdog slot.

Despite being top of the table and playing at home... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

With that level of cute-hoorism, he's a shoo-in for the Munster job when Foley gets the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

With that level of cute-hoorism, he's a shoo-in for the Munster job when Foley gets the bullet.

After how well he done the first time round maybe he feels like taking on another struggling Irish team with funding issues and turning them round :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Careful what you wish for. There will be pickets across Thomond if he does given the reception the pale got over Henshaw ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

jacothelad wrote: »
    Have you tried penicillin?

The inference being that Connacht should have been better in those conditions as they were, by implication, more exposed to them.

In former years that cliche would have been apt, but Connacht are a team that plays running/passing rugby now, and secondly we have had very few bad weather nights at the Sportsground this season. In fact, the away game in the RDS was played in the worst conditions I've experienced in a long time.

Zzippy wrote: »
    In former years that cliche would have been apt, but Connacht are a team that plays running/passing rugby now, and secondly we have had very few bad weather nights at the Sportsground this season. In fact, the away game in the RDS was played in the worst conditions I've experienced in a long time.
    To be fair, the weather that day was atrocious. Almost a tropical downpour without the heat ;).

But I'd have to say that you guys are so used to the rain in Galway that you don't notice it until it gets to the tropical downpour stage. Everything up to that point is just a 'soft day' :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

To be fair, the weather that day was atrocious. Almost a tropical downpour without the heat ;).

But I'd have to say that you guys are so used to the rain in Galway that you don't notice it until it gets to the tropical downpour stage. Everything up to that point is just a 'soft day' :D

Had 240mm of rain where we are in NZ yesterday/last night! New Years Day was glorious by comparison...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

He really is buying into our Culture :D

wp_rathead wrote: »
    He really is buying into our Culture :D
    How come your culture has a capital C? Is it something you normally find in laboratories? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

freyners wrote: »
    After how well he done the first time round maybe he feels like taking on another struggling Irish team with funding issues and turning them round :pac:

Oh the banter. Love it.

Leinster-Connacht is the new Leinster-Ulster, which was the new Leinster-Munster.

There's one common theme there. :pac:

Oh the banter. Love it.

Leinster-Connacht is the new Leinster-Ulster, which was the new Leinster-Munster.

Yep. Leinster supporters are just so much more witty and erudite* than the rest. :cool:

*Using words like erudite in the correct context is de riguer** for Leinster supporters.

**As with de riguer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbxUmDxTyjW7VsrybDZQDHHjIb3Be15Pp4hdW0yS9SSdXMIFZI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭b.gud

I'm disappointed that no one here has picked up on the main battle for Saturday, Eddie vs Leo :)

https://twitter.com/eddiethe_eagle/status/711945102109835265

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Yep. Leinster supporters are just so much more witty and erudite* than the rest. :cool:

*Using words like erudite in the correct context is de riguer** for Leinster supporters.

Unfortunately spelling isn't de rigueur for Leinster supporters ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

But is not knowing how to spell it also de rigueur? Is it axiomatic and au courant simultaneously? It seems a little outré.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭rugby_fan

<snip>

MOD: No selling tickets allowed on form

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Unfortunately spelling isn't de rigueur for Leinster supporters ☺
    Ah well. Luckily I had my Connacht supporter's hat on at the time of posting that. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 47 maoriincork

I have a tenner on Connacht to win by 13. Fekk it I believe in our squad, the entire squad, and I know that us fans don't take each week or game as a given as do it appears other team Fans.
    But we have belief and faith in our boys. We know how much harder our boys have to fight to make a name for themselves, Bundy Aki an example. If he was playing for Leinster or Munster and he was coming up to IQ then you could be sure that there would be entire threads for this. The best Fullback and winger in the country can't even make it into the train on squads for Ireland.
    But us Connacht fans just keep on believing and this belief then is felt by our squad and they also believe. No arrogance just a belief in each other.

CONNACHT ABU

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Munster have named a strong starting XV so I'm hopeful that Leinster and Connacht will have strong sides out for Saturday.

Doubt we'll see Heaslip as he needs a bit of a break. Ditto Jack McGrath. Other than that I think we could be full strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

the fact that Leinster have put a lot of trust in the younger guys would lead me to believe that hardly any of Leinsters Ireland contingent will play, at least not the starters will start for this game. will be interesting see who is one the bench

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

typhoony wrote: »
    the fact that Leinster have put a lot of trust in the younger guys would lead me to believe that hardly any of Leinsters Ireland contingent will play, at least not the starters will start for this game. will be interesting see who is one the bench

Heaslip, mcgrath, toner and sexton probably wont be involved. Ross missed earlier rounds of 6n after 2 month layoff so could even start

Those on the bench with ireland last weekend are likely to be involved as there is a lot to play for in the next 6 weeks

Advertisement