Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five dead in Buncrana accident

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Mod
    maudgonner wrote: »
    Can we please not have this thread turn into a Sinn Fein (or other political parties) bashing/loving thread? Any other thread, grand, but not this one?

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,123 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Just seen this, what an appalling tragedy, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 28,457 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just saw the news on RTE and the interviews with the locals.

Really is very sad and tragic. Especially the story by Davitt Walsh and the father going back for the kids. Heartbreaking.

Do wish RTE would leave the religion and bishops out of it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

https://www.facebook.com/rtenews/videos/1264819520213714/

That's tough to watch. The RTE interview with the lad who saved the baby. Poor guy is very badly shook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Jayop wrote: »

That's tough to watch. The RTE interview with the lad who saved the baby. Poor guy is very badly shook.

Heartbreaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

All the escape advice is good but there is a massive problem. Cold water makes us gasp instinctively. People that fall into cold water often drown in seconds because of the gasp reflex. Professional, rescue workers etc train to take a breath before entering the water.

In my opinion the blame lies with whomever was responsible for the slipway being accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Discodog wrote: »
    All the escape advice is good but there is a massive problem. Cold water makes us gasp instinctively. People that fall into cold water often drown in seconds because of the gasp reflex. Professional, rescue workers etc train to take a breath before entering the water.

In my opinion the blame lies with whomever was responsible for the slipway being accessible.

I don't think anyone is to blame for this. It's just a tragic accident. I'm sure if they had known there was such risk involved they would have done everything to prevent it. It's one of those things where in hindsight we can see the risk and point the finger but it's just a tragedy and I certainly wouldn't want anyone to feel responsible for this.

Does there have to be blame?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

I don't think it's a time for blame now, can't get over what it must have been like inside that car for those poor people in the final minutes. That guy is genuinely a hero, he absolutely didn't need to go out there and risk his own safety but did that and saved that poor baby, I hope he gets the support he needs for the next while, he's well shook and needs it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

The fact that the father had escaped and returned to the vehicle is also a massive act of bravery. He voluntarily returned to what he must have known was certain death to comfort his children and relatives in their final moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Discodog wrote: »

Just because some place is accessible doesn't mean you should park there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

My heart goes out to the family. What a horrific tragedy. Really hope the girl finds the strength to go on. Massive credit to the man who saved the baby from the sinking car. A truly heroic thing to do considering he too could have lost his life. Great credit to the father for having the piece of mind to get the baby out to this man. Both are heroes. No point in speculating about the why's or wherefore's. For another day. Hope the man who rescued the baby can try not to think too much about those he couldn't rescue but find comfort in having saved the life of the baby.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What an unimaginable tragedy and a cruel reminder of what can happen in a matter of minutes. I can only imagine the panic as the car started to go and as it sank. We've all gone out for a drive in a full car thinking nothing untoward would happen. Christ.

It's difficult to think of any words to describe it and it became harder to read as more details emerged this morning and this afternoon. Looking at the photos, there's a lot of algae on the slipway. Not looking to assign blame here, but you can see how treacherous it might be. The guy who saved the baby is understandably quite shaken and showed enormous courage. At least the young one will have no long term memory of the events.

Thanks to the emergency services who were on scene, including to the RNLI. I'm not into organised religion, but like it or not, priests are at the heart of the community and I am thankful one was called to the scene, it's more than just a procedure. It'll perhaps be of some comfort to the family. The numbness must be awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Was it a 5 seater jeep?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think that model is 6 seater. Stand to be corrected though.

Such a harrowing tragedy. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Lia_lia wrote: »
    With regards escaping the car I wouldn't have a clue what to do. Even though I am a trained lifeguard and very strong swimmer I don't think I would survive that.

Can I ask what you mean by this? I've generally only heard 'strong/experienced swimmer' in relation to tragedies like this and it seems to be a bit of a media phrase. I assume it's not all down to strength and maybe more so ability to deal with the water as whole. Different story at sea, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

This has been on my mind all day, a friend of mine rang me and said that a close friend of his (and just a mutual friend to me), was the step son of those who have passed away.
    How I did not know was because its a step family, they don't share the surname (not at least when I was in school with him) -
    I won't give him a ring as it feels intrusive but I just...everyone I know has had an air of sadness following them today over it all.
    Such a horrible tragedy, and no point throwing blame around on such an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

May their souls rest in peace. I can't stop thinking about those poor people.
    “They were all screaming ‘help help help.’ I didn’t really think, I took off my clothes down to my boxers and swam out as fast as I could.

“When I got out there, the father had the window half ajar and was hitting it with his elbow trying to break it. I’m guessing the electrics broke.

Read more: School staff and pals of Buncrana pier victim engulfed in sadness as news of tragedy broke

“When the window broke, the father sat out on the ledge of the window and the water started to seep in.

“He then handed me the infant and said ‘take the baby.’ I told him I wanted to help someone else, but the water started coming in and he just looked at me and said ‘save my baby.’

“It was terrible. The baby was handed to me and the father had to make a decision, he could have saved himself because he was out of the car, but he went back into his family.

“I couldn’t do anything else, the car went down instantly."

“I took the baby and held it above my head and swam back to shore."

“I took the baby back to shore where my girlfriend was waiting. I was exhausted, I just lay on the pier on the algae "

Read more: Buncrana pier tragedy: Brave hero too upset to speak to mother of baby girl he saved

“My girlfriend stripped the baby down and got her warm with the blankets and saved the baby’s life.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Awful, awful. I was listening to it this morning in the car. Newstalk seemed to keep repeating the same report every 3 or 4 minutes with the same bit of audio. In the end I just had to turn it off.

The fella that went in did a very fine thing that day - he's quite a guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

RIP to those who died and my heart goes out to those family and friends who's lives will be in tatters after this. The buck who risked his own life to go in and save the baby is undoubtedly a hero. Someone in the car must have been more concerned with getting the kids out and saving them than getting themselves out if the baby was removed from a child seat and passed out the window.

Sick to the stomach really.

As for the debates in this thread, they're mostly pointless and probably shouldn't be happening. However there's one thing I will say is that every parent should have their kids in swimming lessons as early as possible and bring them to water as much as possible. They should also learn to swim themselves.

yes. I don't think theres any type of real discussion to be had here that could prove worthwhile. a book of condolence RIP thread seems more suitable. by allowing discussion it leaves too much room for arguing petty details,pontificating from afar, hindsight and of course the blame game. people lose the run of themselves and it justs cards, bans, warnings and ultimately thread closure.

little point saying what you WOULD do in a situation like that. once adrenaline takes over things mightn't be so clear cut.

with the Berkeley thread last time there were people asking what they were doing on the balcony, bitching about the rotten wood on the balcony and
    other things. does it matter? hindsight is a great thing. it helps no one other then amateur architect. the focus should be on the lives lost. god help that woman. no words or prayers are enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Can I ask what you mean by this? I've generally only heard 'strong/experienced swimmer' in relation to tragedies like this and it seems to be a bit of a media phrase. I assume it's not all down to strength and maybe more so ability to deal with the water as whole. Different story at sea, mind you.

I meant that I consider myself a good swimmer, I don't know what else it would mean. Maybe other people/the media mean it in a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

What a hero, and his girlfriend too. Well done to all the emergency services too. Such a tragedy.

Someone who is good at swimming, has plenty of practice in the open water and would not have gotten into difficulties were it not for other extraordinary circumstances.

I'm a very strong swimmer and many years ago qualified as a lifeguard. I'd consider my experience both in pools and more importantly in the open water as something that would count towards being "strong".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

armaghlad wrote: »
    RIP. Heart breaking. Surely the pier should be closed to cars if the ferry isn't running (or has it just started up again?)
    No. In fact I was parked on it yesterday afternoon. It's perfectly normal for cars to be on it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

When I trained as a lifeguard one of the tests was to swim a certain distance in open water fully clothed, about 500m.

That was classed as a strong and experienced swimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,383 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You'd never think a slipway could be so potentially dangerous, but looking at it on the news you can see it could be a death trap for any car if the driver was unable to stop the vehicle from sliding.

That wonderful guy who dived in should be given a medal. He has given that poor mother something to cling onto and something to live for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Stheno wrote: »
    When I trained as a lifeguard one of the tests was to swim a certain distance in open water fully clothed, about 500m.

That was classed as a strong and experienced swimmer.

I would consider myself a strong swimmer but not a hope I could do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Strazdas wrote: »
    You'd never think a slipway could be so potentially dangerous, but looking at it on the news you can see it could be a death trap for any car if the driver was unable to stop the vehicle from sliding.

That wonderful guy who dived in should be given a medal. He has given that poor mother something to cling onto and something to live for.

Yeah the terror of stripping off and jumping into the freezing water in the dark and knowing that not only will you be trying to keep yourself afloat and alive but also possibly unconscious victims or non swimmers. God. That man really is brave.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I would consider myself a strong swimmer but not a hope I could do that!
    Yeah the terror of stripping off and jumping into the freezing water in the dark and knowing that not only will you be trying to keep yourself afloat and alive but also possibly unconscious victims or non swimmers. God. That man really is brave.

You'd be amazed at how you react. I've been fortunate twice in my life to be able to enable someone to live. The first was when I was about 9 and came across a man who had slashed his wrists near a river in a van. I ran to the nearest public place to get him help.

The second was as a lifeguard, when a small child ended up in the deep end and in difficulties. I jumped in and got them out.

In such scenarios you forget about yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

There truly are no words to describe this tragedy. I think we can all picture times we have gone out for a drive, just enjoying a fine evening, as these people probably did, never imagining the horror that was to unfold.

Watching the news this evening I thought that two people, in particular, displayed huge courage and dignity. One was the brother of the man who died, and he spoke, onscreen, to the man who saved the baby's life, saying that he didn't know his name, but wanted to thank him for what he did.

The other was, of course, the man who saved the baby's life. As has been said, here and elsewhere the word 'hero' is often misused. That man is a true hero.

I can only, as many others have done, express my sincere condolences to the families, and hope that they get strength somehow to cope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement