Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five dead in Buncrana accident

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,052 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Such a thing to happen to one family is so heart breaking.

For those going on about it, not that it needs to be done but flags are a half mast

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35881640?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_news_ni&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=northern_ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Turns out the father couldn't swim :(

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,992 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm not the better of watching the funeral on the news....

How that woman got through it I do not know.

RIP again to them all, and strength to those left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I still can't stop thinking about this poor family. Initially I was thinking of the horror of the deceased but now my thoughts are with that poor woman, how do you even begin to move forward having lost your beautiful children, your partner, your mum and little sister. It's so unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

She sounded so broken, my heart broke for her. So sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I hope her baby gives her the strength to carry on. The priest said that had the baby not been saved, there would have been 7 coffins today and not 5. I know lot of people have troubles in life but there are some crosses that are harder to bear than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

It takes alot to make me cry but this whole story has brought me to tears all week.

I can't help but think of that poor woman who lost her whole family. The dad, grandmother and kids and the panicking they must have been doing while it was all happening.

The hero that saved the baby, it must be tough on him too.

Its really heartbreaking.

I sobbed my heart out when I heard about this. I've some idea of what that woman is going through, and yet I couldn't possibly know the pain she will suffer.

It's incomprehensible. Truly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I sobbed my heart out when I heard about this. I've some idea of what that woman is going through, and yet I couldn't possibly know the pain she will suffer.

It's incomprehensible. Truly.

This. And I am familiar with the absolute horror that you have experienced WDD. I am blessed with a close and supportive family and I had this conversation with Mr. Merkin during the week. If something happened to him, or our child or a sibling or a parent then there would always be someone close to turn to amidst the horror. If I lost my baby or my husband I feel I wouldn't be capable of continuing and yet I'd want my Mum or my Dad or brothers more than ever. To have everyone close and so beloved wiped out in one felt swoop is almost gothic in its horror. The poor, poor woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Been keeping an eye on the coverage about this for the week. Things like this don't normally affect me, I mean I don't know those involved in incidents like this. I read about them and see the coverage I would feel sorry for those involved and move on. The incident for some reason is a little different.

Maybe it's because I can relate a little more - having a young family of my own, I'm not sure. But I was genuinely welling up watching the coverage last night . The bit about the little boy saying he missed his mum so much and that he was going to give her the tightest hug when he seen her. It's just truly awful. Which leads me to my next point and maybe is for another discussion.

But how anyone can believe in a powerful or almighty God after incidents like this or similar , the local priest was quoted during the week as saying one ,use be wondering how has God "forsaken" them. I wonder too.

• Advertisement

Been keeping an eye on the coverage about this for the week. Things like this don't normally affect me, I mean I don't know those involved in incidents like this. I read about them and see the coverage I would feel sorry for those involved and move on. The incident for some reason is a little different.

Maybe it's because I can relate a little more - having a young family of my own, I'm not sure. But I was genuinely welling up watching the coverage last night . The bit about the little boy saying he missed his mum so much and that he was going to give her the tightest hug when he seen her. It's just truly awful. Which leads me to my next point and maybe is for another discussion.

But how anyone can believe in a powerful or almighty God after incidents like this or similar , the local priest was quoted during the week as saying one ,use be wondering how has God "forsaken" them. I wonder too.

Definitely for another discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Still hearing reports on the raadio about them going off the pier in Buncrana, but it wasnt the pier, it was the adjacent slipway.

Maybe I am being pedantic, but vcisually in my minds eye, when I hear that a 'Jeep' had gone off the end of the pier in buncrana, I had a totally different picture to what really happened, if you know what I mean.

Car drives off pier, SUV slips down slipway . . . .very different.

God bless the Mother and the baby who survived. The whole story is such a freak accident if ever there was. Algae on the slipway! and the fact that the slipway barrier was unlocked and wide open. If only that barrier had been closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Well I've just sent in a (furious, slightly incoherent, ranting) complaint to RTE about their coverage.

complaints@rte.ie, if anyone else is interested in doing the same.

I'm quite sure they haven't breached any guidelines or rules (they have plenty lawyers to advise them on that) but I'm happy to have expressed my utter disgust at the manner of coverage, and hope that someone somewhere takes note.

I also complained to them - I got a nice form letter back from them, feature this noncommital paragraph of waffle:
    RTE wrote:
    When reporting events such as the shocking deaths in Buncrana, RTÉ must balance responsibilities as journalists and as a national broadcaster reflecting the reaction of the whole island with sensitivity towards those who have been bereaved and others who have been traumatised by a direct involvement in the events. Such reporting is inevitably distressing to listeners and viewers, and indeed to our journalists, and we do understand your concern that the participation of interviewees was voluntary. Please accept our assurances that, for RTÉ journalism, that is always the case.

My actual complaint had been about the gross insensitivity of asking Davitt Walsh how he felt about not being able to save everyone. :mad:

B0jangles wrote: »
    I also complained to them - I got a nice form letter back from them, feature this noncommital paragraph of waffle:

My actual complaint had been about the gross insensitivity of asking Davitt Walsh how he felt about not being able to save everyone. :mad:

I got the same! It was a bit above the generic, automatically-generated fob off that I'd been expecting, but now I see that someone else got the same, word for word, makes me wonder....

I've replied, pointing out that they COMPLETELY missed the point of my complaint, and reiterating it in words of one syllable that hopefully even they can't misinterpret this time.

I have also asked, for the second time, what exactly the point of sending the 6-One team and SNíB up to broadcast from the fecking pier was - but they've completely ignored that bit. Possibly becore there is no answer to it?

I'm realistic/cynical enough to realise that it will probably make no difference in the overall scheme of things, but if it gives even one manager/producer pause for thought then it'll have been worth it.

In a small aside I was pleased (if that's the right word) to note that RTE reported last night that Davitt Walsh slipped in and out of the church through a side door, clearly trying to avoid the media, and left it at that. But TV3 - classy gents and ladies that they are - obviously found the side door, and nearly knocked him off his crutches filming him leaving the church and getting into a waiting car :mad:

ETA - oh, and within that waffle, you've gotta especially love this bit ..... "Such reporting is inevitably distressing to listeners and viewers, and indeed to our journalists" The poor, poor journos.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Yeah, I was guessing it was a form letter because it was pretty noncommittal and could be used to respond to a wide range of complaints - you getting the same one proves it was. That they bother creating a form letter does suggest that they got a fair few complaints, so that might encourage them to review their journalistic standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    ETA - oh, and within that waffle, you've gotta especially love this bit ..... "Such reporting is inevitably distressing to listeners and viewers, and indeed to our journalists" The poor, poor journos.....

I'd actually believe it. Put yourself in their shoes - they're not the ones who decide how it gets reported. They're just given their assignment and told to go and get the story.

I'd be mortified if I was one of them and had to stick a camera in someone's face. While I'm sure some of them are ruthless, I'm just as sure that some of them hate having to do it.

Blame the bosses, not the reporters.

maudgonner wrote: »
    I'd actually believe it. Put yourself in their shoes - they're not the ones who decide how it gets reported. They're just given their assignment and told to go and get the story.

I'd be mortified if I was one of them and had to stick a camera in someone's face. While I'm sure some of them are ruthless, I'm just as sure that some of them hate having to do it.

Blame the bosses, not the reporters.

Fair enough, I suppose. If I was in the state I was in watching it on the telly from the comfort of my sitting room, then I can't imagine what it was like to get personally involved. But in the end of the day, they were the ones asking the questions over and over again, so I'm afraid I'd implicate them to a certain extent.

But yes, I'd agree that it's editorial decision and choices that need to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I thought that poor man davitt needed a councillor not an interview. God help him he was bereft you could see in his face how he felt about not being able to save them he was a broken man they didn't need to even ask. I think hes an amazing person for doing what he did and although he'd never take or seek credit he deserves it on a grand scale.
    I also thought it insensitive broadcasting from the pier eerie almost. Perhaps it's rte trying to do a sky on it.
    Lastly I thought it far too intrusive showing that poor mother breaking her heart carrying her little sons coffin on tv. They really have no cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

screamer wrote: »
    I thought that poor man davitt needed a councillor not an interview. God help him he was bereft you could see in his face how he felt about not being able to save them he was a broken man they didn't need to even ask. I think hes an amazing person for doing what he did and although he'd never take or seek credit he deserves it on a grand scale.
    I also thought it insensitive broadcasting from the pier eerie almost. Perhaps it's rte trying to do a sky on it.
    Lastly I thought it far too intrusive showing that poor mother breaking her heart carrying her little sons coffin on tv. They really have no cop on.

I think it's just a little too raw for him to start counselling just now. I think when you are faced with any traumatic event,the days immediately after aren't "real" and you need to come back into a sense of reality before seeing a counsellor. The hose photos on today's papers were a bit over the top too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The reporting at the inquest of this case has been harrowing to read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

3 times above the drink driving limit?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

I'm all for free speech but I'm thinking perhaps this is one thread that should be closed, that poor family have suffered enough, it serves no sympathetic purpose leaving this open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Misadventure is the verdict. If even one person this Christmas thinks twice about putting themselves and kids into a car with a driver who’s technically pissed then at least some good will have come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

embraer170 wrote: »

I read somewhere else he had been out the night before so therefore may not have actually been drinking that day. Who knows. Such a terrible tragedy. The poor family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

RIP to them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Blingy wrote: »
    I read somewhere else he had been out the night before so therefore may not have actually been drinking that day. Who knows. Such a terrible tragedy. The poor family.

The accident happened in the evening so I reckon that’s unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm all for free speech but I'm thinking perhaps this is one thread that should be closed, that poor family have suffered enough, it serves no sympathetic purpose leaving this open.

Then you are not for free speech.

I'm no ghoul looking for all the gory details, but I think a lot of lives could be saved if people really knew what happened in many incidents rather than them being hushed up and forgotten about.

It has been 18 months or more since the incident, if there are lessons to be learned then stop with the censorship and let people learn them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

embraer170 wrote: »

I heard the same, couldn't believe it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

The reporting at the inquest of this case has been harrowing to read.

The reports of Davitt Walsh's testimony are hard to read. They all are of course, but his is particularly sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Just goes to show that you never really know what really went on.

I heard so many different versions of events of this accident.

I think there is other things that weren't discussed at the inquest.

The simple fact is he shouldn't have got behind the wheel and drove that day.

Got love the innocent lives that were lost.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement