Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Punching up the script was serious input, never said it wasn't; rather, that she didn't have any say on the overall direction or thrust of the story - which would have been locked in before filming started - and is kinda what your own article says!

“It’s about just offering different alternatives. They did give me some scenes and then be like, can you write some alternatives for this or have another idea about where it could go in the middle or how it would end. And then I would just give them options and various scenes and then they would take what they want. But there was a lot people writing — the director [Cary Fukunaga] was a writer on it as well. And there’d been a few writers before.”

So yeah, exactly what I understood it to be: she wrote some new material, and sounds like some of it was shot - some of it wasn't and she's not that sure herself. But the overall plot wouldn't have changed from the beginning, which involved Bond & his previous love. I didn't particular like No Time to Die, but nor was its approach of "Bond Finds Love" especially new or modern either? It's literally just another variation on what we saw way back with On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Funny the one bit I did like about NTTD was the new 007 sparring with Bond and his presumptive "that's my number" swagger. That was fun, the familiar stuff was dross - I can imagine which parts were Waller-Bridge's own. The good, combatative bits - cos she's a good writer of dialogue, among other things.

But again. She's not writing for Indy 5. Relax - there's plenty of other things to worry about this film, starting with Ford's age ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Sure, but even if shes not writing this attempt to include her in all these franchises has been a failure thus far.

Her character in Solo was one of, if not the absolute the worst character ever in a Star Wars property, and that is saying something given some of the shite that has come out recently.

Shes good in stuff she writes herself, stories focused on women. Any attempt to venture outside that bubble has been catastrophic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well not to constantly seem like I'm berating you ... but we don't know exactly what parts she wrote for NTTD so it's all just speculation - but given her CV I'd speculate her footprint was felt most around the quips, dialogue and situational comedy. Rather than the (melo)drama of the overall story.

Otherwise though, who's including her? She appeared in Solo and that's it really; IIRC an interview with her, she simply auditioned as a rando - don't forget it was originally supposed to be a comedy from Lord & Miller. I recall her joking she didn't even know what a "droid" was when auditioning; it never sounded preordained, just a job. Other than that she's hardly at Chris Pratt levels of saturation - she's barely at Chris Hemsworth levels.

I'd be surprised if she's playing it totally straight in this, but unsurprised if she's not either. Best approach in all these cases is to just wait and see; like I said, plenty other reasons to be annoyed that we're getting another Indiana Jone movie ;-) (even I've maintained more optimism than most, purely 'cos of the director TBH)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Even putting aside Waller-Bridge being just one of multiple writers behind No Time To Die, 'catastrophic' is pretty hyperbolic for that particular film. The film was a 'success' by most common metrics - financial, critical, even general audience reaction. Yes, it's a flawed film (like virtually all Bond films, TBH), but the Bond franchise itself has had far more catastrophic entries over its long, messy history - Die Another Day being a particular nadir, and frankly even Craig entries such as Quantum of Solace and Spectre are much less interesting films IMO.

There wasn't much of her in Solo either, and the film's problems ran far, far deeper than an annoying droid in a few scenes. It had a case of terminal blandness and pointlessness at its very core. Dire direction and scripting were far more detrimental in that particular film.

Just very peculiar to see Waller-Bridge being accused of being some singularly toxic presence TBH, especially when the few projects she's had creative control have been warmly received almost universally. And she has also defied most 'strong female character' clichés by crafting uniquely complex, messy, self-destructive and multi-layered protagonists.

No idea how she'll fare acting-wise in Indiana Jones 5. Historical precedent shows the odds are very much against this film in general, but I retain some very cautious optimism that a new director and writing team may add some much-needed fresh perspective to the series. There's fundamentally no need for the film to exist - it comes from a fundamentally cynical commercial place, and it's a series that has already dabbled in tired 'I'm getting too old for this ****' nonsense well over a decade ago. But, as much as I like Spielberg, Mangold taking over is the one thing that has me at least semi-interested in seeing where this goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I'm not saying that this will certainly be bad, I'm just laying out the reasoning why some would be wary of her - which is something you seemed previously mystified by.

I think some of her quotes about Bond are absolutely, completely and utterly delusional also.

"There’s been a lot of talk about whether or not [the Bond franchise] is relevant now because of who he is and the way he treats women” - Nobody who likes James Bond cares about this. The only people talking about how Bond treats women are twitter feminists who couldn't care less about the Bond franchise.

"“It has just got to evolve, and the important thing is that the film treats the women properly.” - I would have thought that the most important thing was making a good movie, but aul Pheobs knows best. It's the way women are treated in the movie that's the most important.

• Advertisement

Jesus he looks old. Not surprising but still. If this doesn't interrogate the ludicrous nature of old man indy on adventures, then the script has failed. The Empire link has the article too...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Absolute nonsense, did you not watch Craig's other Bond films?

CR he falls in love (the only difference here is that they had chemistry), Vesper slaps him down in there very first encounter, and he quits his job for her.

QoS is literally about Bond dealing with his grief and everyone telling him he's too emotional.

Skyfall Bond gets all huffy because MI6 thought he was dead and goes sulking on the beach. And then he gets all emotion about M because be clearly has both mummy and daddy issues.

Spectre is actually where he falls in love and again quits MI6 and gives up everything for a woman, so you definitely cannot blame the Swann storyline on PWB because that was there from this movie and was definitely going to be continued. Bond dying was also Craig's idea and would have been in the screenplay long before her arrival.

Craig's Bond films have literally seen Bond at his most emotional and that's not necessarily a bad thing, believe it or not emotion actually makes for good story. I don't like that every film has had to be personally linked to Bond as some sort of special chosen one but it really doesn't bother me that he gets emotional because that's not new. I literally watched Goldfinger last night and Bond is visibly upset about Jill Masterson's death in M's office.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,378 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ford is 80 and looking every bit of it.

More details emerge and the setting is around the Moon Landing, and the former Nazis involved in it.

Reading between the lines and I can't help think there's going to be a time travel plot? Just something about the language used herr...

Enter Mads Mikkelsen’s villainous Voller – see above – inspired partly by real-life Nazi-turned-NASA-engineer Wernher von Braun. “He’s a man who would like to correct some of the mistakes of the past,” teases Mikkelsen of Voller. “There is something that could make the world a much better place to live in. He would love to get his hands on it. Indiana Jones wants to get his hands on it as well. And so, we have a story.”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The more I read about this, the more shit it sounds.

• Advertisement

Sounds like they were desperate to work Nazis into the film somehow, sense be damned. Mind you the series was never accused of being an accurate depiction of archaeology 😂

Too much spoilers. I’m out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Not a plot spoiler per sé, but I'll spoiler tag it just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Empire Magazine cover. If we could all look like this at 80 we would be doing well...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A trailer and a title: Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny.

On the plus side, looks lively and colourful if nothing else. On the other hand, there’s some dodgy looking CG there (granted, it’s seven months til release).

Also: Harrison Ford doesn’t look ‘young’ by any stretch, but having seen the not-much-older Anthony Hopkins in Armageddon Time recently, Ford is looking remarkably good and sprightly for his age!

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

What a terrible title. Looks fun though. Probably be plenty of “I’m too old for this shït…” type comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Not a terrible trailer by any means, but it's still hard to get excited about the whole enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,378 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

the Dial of Destiny sounds more like a title The Asylum would come up with for one of there knock off movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well doesn't look as bad as Patrick Stewart (2 years older) in Picard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭RickBlaine

I'm approaching this film with very cautious optimism. I hate to treat Spielberg as a liability but he certainly was for Crystal Skull, as was Lucas. The fact that neither are involved in the major creative roles gives me optimism for fresh talent making a good film, and Mangold has had a few decent hits behind him.

I'm actually most worried about Indy dying at the end of the film. I know the hero dying worked very well in Logan and Endgame, but I'm kinda sick and tired now of seeing childhood favourite characters dying in newer movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Very Millennium Falcon type shot there.

Terrible, terrible title. But that looks like it has a chance. I can't deny I'm a sucker for a Thrilling Adventure Around The World.

The parade CGI looked outrageously bad, which is obviously papering over lots of where it was shot - Glasgow. The deageing looked good, however briefly we saw it. Shooting at night probably makes it easier to hide the fakery.

Mind you, I'm sure the Crystal Skull trailer looked good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

looks like the time travel is locked in, the name of the film and the plane looks like its going- into a time vortex. The name is bad, sounds the title to a parody film

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

10 bucks says that them travelling through time and the last act is a big Back to the Future 2 style adventure between old and young Indy. There's too many ww2 scenes to be just a bookend flashback; and I swear I've seen moments with old indy fighting Nazis.

On a side note, strange that the trailer is only released in 1080p. I thought it looked unusually soft and compressed on my TV last night, but checking on YouTube and Apple today it's the only option available.

Makes it hard to judge some of the shots as they look like pixellated messes when you add streaming compression to the mix. You'd think they'd want to launch their big flashy trailer in the highest quality!

I wonder if it's too late to change the title if there is a fan backlash.

Rumours initially were that it was just going to be called Indiana Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I won't judge the CGI until the movie is released. They still have about 7 months to finish / improve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭santana75

I was trying to recall my own reaction to the Kingdom of the Crystal skull trailer and If memory serves me, I thought it looked dodgy. I know its easy to say that now, but watching the trailer for the new film I have to be fair and say it looks pretty decent.

Advertisement