Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

There is also some speculation/concern that they are gonna do a Rey Skywalker > Luke Skywalker or the "things have moved on" thing with James Bond job with this with one of the female castings

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,057 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

BTW, just for those who hadn't seen Captain Marvel, this video shows some moments that I'm speaking of. Honestly, it was the first time I stopped "noticing" the de-ageing of the actor and accepted I was watching a mid-40s version of Samuel L Jackson.

Now, what probably helped here is Jackson has aged phenomenally well, so the artists had less to tweak than other actors who have aged more obviously in places, such as Michael Douglas or Robert DeNiro etc. And in the same movie, Clark Gregg looked a little fake and rubbery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,057 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Don't anyone pretend they didn't see this coming: the service does seem precision engineered to lazily recycle old IPs with "legacy prequels", new series and so on ...

Disney is actively looking to develop an Indiana Jones TV show for Disney+, Variety has learned exclusively from sources.

The Mouse House and Lucasfilm have specifically been bringing up the possibility of a streaming show set in the world of the globe trotting archaeologist in general meetings with writers of late, sources say. They are still looking for a writer to take on the project, thus no plot details are available. Given that, it is unknown if a series would serve as a prequel to or spinoff of the film franchise, or if it would tie into the upcoming fifth Indiana Jones film, similar to how Disney has tied its Marvel shows on Disney+ into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The move to potentially develop an Indiana Jones show comes as Harrison Ford has stated he is done playing the character after the fifth film, which is due out in 2023. In addition, sources say Disney is currently exploring a number of options to keep the franchise going, which could mean a series, new films, other media, or a combination thereof.

Reps for Lucasfilm declined to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,476 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This already happened 30 years ago.

Even young Indy himself Sean Patrick Flanery would probabaly be to old to play Indy now.

He turned 57 last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I cant imagine the film doing very well, off the back of that why would they green light a tv series?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Because Disney is all over the bloody place.

I suspect the angle will be a spin-off, knowing recasting Indy himself would be a precarious option. On the other hand, set photos have indicated there's to be some kind of Flashback set-piece, so maybe they will - and already have recast.

Devil's Advocate but their tactic of releasing (legacy) sequel after sequel seems to be doing well at Disney+: Hocus Pocus 2, Disenchanted, Willow, Home Alone X, etc. etc. I don't get the impression any have flopped or underperformed for them. It was only a matter of time.

if they stick to their knitting, recycling kids content that can be remade every 10 years or so for the next generation of kids? seems like their wheelhouse.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@pixelburp

Devil's Advocate but their tactic of releasing (legacy) sequel after sequel seems to be doing well at Disney+: Hocus Pocus 2, Disenchanted, Willow, Home Alone X, etc. etc. I don't get the impression any have flopped or underperformed for them. It was only a matter of time.

Perhaps. But their over all approach seems to be terribly scattershot.

As to an Indy TV series being "only a matter of time", well that's lamentably true. I cannot see it being anywhere near satisfying personally. Mind you, my Indiana Jones begins and ends with the first two movies so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement

Ah well we've covered the point of your incorrect opinion about Last Crusade 🤣

I'm resigned to an Indy TV series because I always knew it was coming; there was no way Disney could resist the urge to squeeze the nostalgia out of another of their many IPs - this film included, even if I've been fairly open-minded about it. I don't have the energy to be angry anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I wonder how much of Ford will actually be in the new film and how much will be cgi/stunt double ?

I forgot about the new Willow series, had a look at the trailer, perhaps I'd have been better off not, it looks very poor.

According to rumors they have multiple endings but all involve Indie dies and Wally Bridge becomes Indie for the tv series, also the test screenings are awful. So one sht show of a movie for next year lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Disney+

Indy-

I see Boyd Holbrook is in this he could be a decent Indy going forward in a series.

The "rumours" sound more like attempts to drum up viral outrage TBH. Easy clicks knowing how weirdly triggered some are by Phoebe Waller-Bridge

Especially considering even Variety hadn't a single hard-fact about the proposed TV series.

it can be fun to see how they track, you cant make a large movie without a hundred or so people knowing more or less everything so it would be weird if there were never any

Star Wars/Bond Spoiler below - don't know how to do spoiler tags in new system...

I wonder if HF did the same as he did with Han Solo, I'll do one more movie if the character is killed off. This is becoming all the more common with Daniel requesting the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Yeah, they really need to stop pandering to actors that hate the characters they portray. Ford was at the same shtick back in '80 and Lucas had to tell him th STFU and leave the writing to the writers.

As for the Disney plus series, the rumor is that the focus will be on Abner Ravenwood and his students..... AKA another Disney show that pulls a bait and switch that teases a fanbase with the return of a beloved character only to make the title character a debased supporting role in their own story like The Book of Boba Fett etc. Personally I won't be watching, fool me once and all that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the trailer drop next week for Thanksgiving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Muller1991

• Registered Users Posts: 25,081 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cant see her sign up for something like that unless maybe its a very limited series. She doesn't seem the type to get tied down with long term projects.

She wrapped up Fleabag when she could have kept milking and didn't stay on for the terrible milking of Killing Eve.

Well yeah; that's the other thing for sure. Waller-Bridge by precedent hasn't been the type to stay tied down with any one project: her departure after season 1 of Killing Eve was really felt, the overall quality went immediately downwards (heck I never bothered with that last season just gone). If Solo is anything to go by, she's doing this as a wheeze and something to gain a bit more traction & favour in Hollywood. Why not!

She is however, one of those totally coincidentally female figures like Kathleen Kennedy where simply invoking their name is enough to get a slew of clicks and angry comments on a given YouTube Channel. Heck we can see here the rumour-mill has already moved onwards to the show being an Abner Ravenwood spin-off.

On a related'ish note, I see we're also getting a National Treasure Disney+ show ... which looks to be a spin-off and only tangentially related to the Nicholas Cage version. I keep snarking it, but Disney keep proving its service is nothing more than a regurgitation of IPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

She was at least partly responsible for an absolutely atrocious James Bond entry so I imagine there is some worry about her coming along and doing similar to other established IP's - such as Indiana Jones.

Top Gun Maverick proved how audiences want legacy characters to be treated. With extreme respect, no dumbing down, no being rubbish at their job, not being a relic of the past, not being outshone by some typically female hotshot, not being this emotional quivering mess out of nowhere who makes every decision based on the absolute worst love interest he ever had (hi James).

Contrast the treatment of Maverick to the bastardisation of iconic male legacy characters such as Obi Wan/Luke Skywalker/James Bond.

I would put any amount of money that Indy will be presented as this bumbling oaf who can barely keep up with Waller Bridges character, while she gets to tee off on him with verbal barb after verbal barb that he will just take without response.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,862 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

didn't she just do some dialogue for NTTD? I don't think she's majorly responsible for its various problems (and it still did very well at the box office).

Phoebe Waller-Bridge is not writing Indy 5, she's the co-star and has had no hand in the writing. And at 80 years old I'd be shocked if this film doesn't try and portray Jones as old and bumbling. Cos he's old and bumbling!

She was hired to punch up the dialogue if I recall, add jokes n' zingers I believe. She wasn't responsible for the overall story or plot - though like I said she has become this lightning rod for overall grievances.

Actually, apparently Empire Magazine are releasing some "first look" promotional material from 5pm today - so couple of hours from now we can all really get annoyed at Waller-Bridge lol.

I don't think it's a spectacular leap to make, that the first instance of whatever the hell Bond was supposed to be in that movie - hyper emotional, in love with the worst love interest he ever had, does everything for a woman, no quips, gets verbally beaten down by all the female characters with no retort - coincided with Waller-Bridge's first involvement with a Bond movie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

“Look, we’re having a conversation about Phoebe’s gender here, which is **** ridiculous,” Craig said. “She’s a great writer. Why shouldn’t we get Phoebe onto Bond?”

Craig pushed back as the reporter asked whether Waller-Bridge’s hire was made to drag Bond into a more representative era. “I know where you’re going, but I don’t actually want to have that conversation,” the actor said. “I know what you’re trying to do, but it’s wrong. It’s absolutely wrong. She’s a **** great writer. One of the best English writers around. I said, ‘Can we get her on the film?’ That’s where I came from.”

Good on Daniel Craig here, honestly. She is a **** great writer, and Fleabag is one of the great television shows of recent times. Killing Eve, meanwhile, lost all direction when she stepped down as showrunner - under her guidance it was a fresh, playful delight. Waller-Bridge deserves all the success she's had.

Advertisement