Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont know how substantiated this is but at this rate they will have to call it The Curse of....

"Filming on the latest 'Indiana Jones' blockbuster has been thrown into peril once again after a norovirus outbreak on set.

Up to 50 people have reportedly been sent home from Pinewood Studios in the UK after the winter vomiting bug spread across the site of the fifth 'Indiana Jones' movie, which sees Harrison Ford as the legendary archaeologist.

It is the latest disruption to production on the movie after Harrison spent three months out of action following surgery on a shoulder injury sustained rehearsing a stunt.

The outbreak has also had an impact on the production of the new 'Ant-Man' movie at the site in Buckinghamshire while the coronavirus pandemic also continues to wreak havoc on filming, but an insider confirmed that no A-listers have been affected.

A source told The Sun newspaper: "The crew have been dropping like flies. There's also a lot off with Covid, so it's been a double whammy.

"Two films have been affected. Over 50 people have been struck down, but luckily that doesn't include the big stars.""

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well the broadsheet outlets are reporting it, assuming they did their due diligence. Bad luck for the shoot for sure; the world doesn't want this film to happen lol. I suppose the detail here is who have been affected: critical staff necessitating the shoot closing down, or dogs-bodies and runners easily replaced?

God though. After 2 years of CoVid to then have noro come along and strip your dignity with some seasonal vomiting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Filming is currently going on in Sicily, with Harrison Ford & Mads Mikkelsen both spotted on set.

is it clear whether the film is set in 2 periods or is this going to be a time travel film?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Just when you think things cant get any worse, a Time travel plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Booby traps sprung by light, magic box with ghosts that only kill people who don’t close their eyes, life raft as parachute, ripping out heart with bare hands, magic stones that only burn the bad guys, magic water that that either kills you or saves you depending which cup you use.

Thankfully, those movies were made before the internet !!!

The Daily Mails love of describing the clothes is always so weird.

Time travel eh. Not sure how I feel about that. As Wedwood says the series is scarcely averse to outlandish science or whatnot; like anything else it'll all be in how it's handled. I maintain giving this film a chance, it's the fair thing to do given the people involved are solid.

Most interestingly, Ford is wearing a parachute so begs the question is it the end of a set piece that causes a literal fall through time.

Don't forget surviving a nuclear blast in a fridge. I know it's a sore point with some but it's all part of the same thrust of thjngs.

it could still be flashbacks but for a film that has God & Aliens, time travel/time traveling nazis isnt such a leap , once they dont do any retcon shenanigans

I never got the hate for having trans-dimensional beings, considering the previous magic settings.

For all Skull's fault that was not one

• Advertisement

There is a bit of a difference between something being a bit supernatural and time travel .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I remember Harrison Ford saying interview that when they were sketching out the character, he questioned whether it was appropriate for an archaeologist working in hot climates to wear a leather jacket: "Then I found out he would be carrying a whip so I realised it didn't make any f**king sense anyway."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Time travelling nazis?

Good god no...

My spitball is this will be an Odd Couple setup; Waller-Bridges the gutsy original brand feminist clashing with old man Jones, adrift in a 60s world he doesn't recognise. We'll have the classic "what does this old codger have to teach me?" with maybe the time travel showing indy in his prime, Waller Bridge learning the value of older generations etc etc

That just sounds awful TBH.

Well someone's not getting invited to the premiere when my scriptwriting career takes off 😤😆

I don't see any other way of working with a 79 year old Indy and not having it be something relating to age and obsolescence. Last Crusade and Crystal Skull both kinda dealt with Indy dealing with his maturity; so against the backdrop of a noted decade of transformative change, would make sense to me to pair him up with that contemporary aspect.

Cos Crystal Skull just about got away with Jones still taking a pounding; no chance now so the action will need to come from somewhere/someone else

So youve come round to the Critical Drinkers and my way of thinking.😀

Well, I really don't see this thing working at all, no matter what they do, but time travelling nazis and a feminist critique where Indy and whomever "learn" some stuff about "isms" and whatnot just gets the hairs on the back of my neck standing up...no offence to your future screenwriting career. 😛

Either way, Indiana Jones is dead and has been since the 80's. All of this cinematic necromancy is just sad at this point.

Well yes. We shouldn't have an indy 5 but here we are. Might as well hope for the best before the inevitable Chris Pratt helmed reboot once Ford passed on (IIRC he maintains veto control on the property?)

Oh I didn't mean Indy getting schooled on gender or anything, more it would fit with a natural push-pull of two generations clashing with each other (with the 60s being a very particular example of that), but eventually learning the value of each others skillset. It's a classic enough format for Buddy Movies; oil and water somehow coming together. They kinda approached it in Crystal Skull with Mutt, but for various reasons the implementation let it down big time. There were still moments where you could see the potential of Indy vs. the next generation. The scene in the diner a good example of it working, however briefly.

No offence taken with the screenwriting; you hate Last Crusade so we already know your taste is questionable anyway 😄

Was I ever against the idea? I'm sure he sometimes throws out some good ideas; it's just too often surrounded by a lot of guff and performative outrage 🙂

The Indiana Jones movies are fantasy action movies, so whether it’s supernatural, alien, time travel, whatever, the movies have always required suspension of disbelief.

I do have some faith that Mangold will recognise the shortcomings of Crystal Skull and deliver a fitting conclusion to Harrison Ford’s iconic role. It’s clear from the set photos there will be scenes from different eras and some deaging of Ford, so we’ll be seeing Jones in his prime as well as his older self.

If the movie’s scenes and screenplay are well executed, like the originals, then the premise of the story will not really matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Along with the next few MCU movies, Disney has pushed the release of this back 11 months to 2023. Less surprising here given the setbacks already suffered.

So if my reading of Harrison Fords birthday is right, he'll be a couple weeks shy of 81 when Indy 5 finally comes out. Yikes. And just this week 'aul Michael Caine admitted he might be done with acting at the age of 88.

seems weird, presumable all the outdoor stuff would be done in the next month so it should be ready for the summer 22?

They’re probably looking at the poor enough box office returns for movies with reduced cinema audiences and hoping normality will be restored by 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

‘Well ack-tually’, incoming…

Avoiding the ‘wrath of God' by closing your eyes at least has some biblical precedence and thus it maintains a degree of ‘consistency with the in universe logic where the Ark of the Covenent actually exists’. The problem is that it was poorly established in the movie. All they needed was Marion to ask Indy how they hell they survived and he could have recounted the story of how Lot and his wife (almost) escaped the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, one righteous man was allowed to leave but on the condition of never looking back, his wife however did and turned into a pillar of salt (as opposed to her face melting off). "That was the Wrath of God, I was the one righteous man in that corrupt nest of Nazi vipers and you had better sense than Lott's wife honey."

I saw Temple of Doom in the cinema as a kid and even then I wanted to have a full ‘Kathy Bates in Misery’ moment and shout “that’s just cock-a-mamy nonsense!” at the screen when the movie had it pre ‘nuke the fridge’ moment with Indy and the gang using a life-raft as a parachute.

When it comes to aliens and time travel though… just, no. They should have stuck to the established formula that works and the logical consistency of the rules established in Indiana Jones universe. Could Indy not go looking for the lost cities of gold or Shangri-La or The Spear of Destiny or some other mystical item? Surely there’s no shortage of them to choose from. Sticking aliens and time travel in an Indiana Jones movies is like sticking Aliens in a Harry Potter movie or magic in a Blade Runner movie. It just doesn’t fit and asks too much of the already established cannon to add 'yet another thing' into that universe that ultimately breaks the suspension of disbelief.

Edit: Because I’m on a rant-roll and don’t feel like stopping!

The time travel McGuffin feels like it exists only because, ‘Member how Indy’s always punching Nazi’s?’

The screenwriters didn’t need to be so JJ Abrahams-esque lazy, have they never seen ‘The Boys from Brazil’? Have Indy trying to beat a Hitler clone to the vast treasures of the lost city of Z in the Amazon in a race against time to thwart the South American Nazi's from accessing the kind of vast wealth that would enable them to fund a 4th Reich…. but it’s guarded by an ancient Aztec god Quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent! There, problem solved.

Post edited by conorhal on

I think if have an Indy movie in the 50s and not feature the zeitgeist of the time, IE aliens saucer people and Soviets under the bed, then that movie failed from the outset. Mythical supernatural hoodoo was part of the initial movies' DNA, but that was because the era the films existed in were when that kind of thing flourished in media. Mysterious lands beyond the map, lost tribes and so on; it doesn't really gel a few decades later when satellites were already shrinking the globe.

Now, what did grind my gears with Crystal Skulls aliens was the scripts bizarre insistence that they technically weren't aliens, but "inter dimensional beings". Why the script wanted to undercut its own contemporaneous ideas and motifs was beyond me.

Disney now pushed release date to 2022, ironic that people complaining about rumoured time travel plot will now have travel two years into the future to see this thing !!

On other news, John Williams starts work on the score next week. Loads of new set photos from Sicily online for those interested.

Director James Mangold reveals there’s about a month of filming left before going to post production. Given the expected de-ageing effects etc, you’d imagine a fairly extensive post production will be required which would likely miss the summer season window, probably explains why the movie bumped to 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Really they should have left Indiana Jones alone after Raiders, which is a fantastic film. None of the sequels have been any good in my view, and only sully the memory of the original. Of course, Hollywood being Hollywood that was never going to happen. I can only imagine the horrors of Number 5. Indy should be in a nursing home by now for Crissakes, boring the carers with stories of his adventures as a young man. Actually, that might not be bad. Start with Ford and have him narrate a flashback story with a younger actor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Niska

Actually, that might not be bad. Start with Ford and have him narrate a flashback story with a younger actor.

Wasn't that the usual framing device for each episode of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles?

Advertisement