Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

The de-aging they did on Ford looks very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

He travels back to WWII, fights nazis with his younger self, then fathers a child, who he travels to in 1970s and hands over the hat & whip to Chris Pratt who is called Henry Jones after his dad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I just think the CGI is a problem full stop, I know it's how movies work but the original trilogy didn't use CGI or at least minimally. Practical stunts and miniatures was how most of the stunts were done and it shows. It's the beauty of those movies, they feel real. The action in KotCS never had that feeling and I'm concerned this will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The dialogue doesnt sound great " i dont believe in magic" from a guy who once saved his life by keeping his eyes closed so angels wouldnt melt his head. or the its not what you believe but how hard you do, seriously cringe, even fleabag's line indicates she is going to be annoying.

Post edited by silverharp on

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Post edited by pixelburp on

he is probably correct, hes lucky disney dont have a history of disrespecting IP characters

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Im going into this with optimism only because Mangold has a lot of solid pictures under his belt. The trailer didn't impress though. The originals had great lighting and cinematography , very vibrant looking films. . This one looks too computery.

Oh and Fleabag is not the right choice as an action adventure sidekick. She's a good writer. Yeah , and? So is Lena Dunham.. lol

I can think of better choices just off the top of dome - Charlize Theron , Zendaya , Kristen Stewart , Jodie Comer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I read a couple so called leaks (I won't post here) from test screenings which aline with my fears for the film. Which are based on what happened with Kennedy's influence over the recent SW movies.

Hopefully, they are bullcrap. The directors tweets in the above post have settled my nerves a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭xper

Christ, that cover is like some parody/as-if prop from an '80's or 90's film. Just a long list of overextended franchise instalments over a picture of a movie star in their iconic role but clearly far past it. Its like the Jaws 19 joke in BTTF2 or similar references elsewhere to Rocky <insert long roman numeral here> but this is a real magazine cover in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Liking the look of that trailer!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Trailer does look good.

Am I alone in thinking that while the de-aging looks great, but that bit where Indy is on the horse looks bad? The bit where the horse buckles up at 55 seconds in. Look at his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

That was a stuntman wearing a mask, Ford was injured at the time.

I have very low expectations for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Of course I'd like to be proved wrong, but it looks pretty terrible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Too much of a CGI fest for my liking. I loved the original trilogy and the use of practical effects, miniature sets etc worked great.

The trailer shows this will rely heavily on CGI which just doesn't work for me. I don't watch Marvel films etc because of the over use of CGI, I'd rather play a video game than watch a film that looks like one.

I have low expectations for this one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ultimately this is just more "product" based on intellectual "property" bought for a vast sum of money, and made by committee; same as all the recent Star Wars "product". The original films were born out of love for the old movie serials and featured producer, director and lead actor all at the top of their game. It might not be terrible, but it won't come anywhere near those 3 films.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

That was some really annoying dialogue in a speach full of meaningless platitudes which don't even make a lick of sense, awful writing. It bugged me in much the same way that Ghostbusters 2 did when everybody collectively seems to have decided, despite being on the cover of Time and a giant marshmallow man tearing up New York, aparently ghosts don't exist.

If I'd seen even half of the stuff Indiana Jones had, there probably isn't a myth or conspiracy theory too wild that I wouldn't give at least a bit of creedance to it. But sure it was the same with The Last Crusade. Indy, you just literally witnessed the wrath of God, how is the holy grail a bridge too far for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Strictly speaking Indy didn't see what happened to the Nazi's in the first film, did he? He'd have no idea it was angels or whatever. All he'd know is the Nazi's all died.

Even then the line 'I don't believe in magic' can still make sense though we'd have to see the full context. Plenty of people have deep faith in Christianity/spiritualism but don't believe in magic.

e.g., if Indys line is in reply to someone saying that an event can't possibly be otherworldy but must be a magic trick then Indy's 'I don't believe in magic' is a perfectly fine answer based on what he has witnessed previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

he chants a spell at the end of Temple of Doom and it causes the sacred stone to become burning hot in Mola Ram's hand. So not only has he seen magic, he's performed it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Hmmmm. Could also say 'he made a prayer to some Hindu god and it caused the sacred stone to become hot etc....'.

I still think that would make the 'don't believe in magic' line perfectly consistent, but I guess it depends on where we stand on religion and magic. Clearly in the Indy universe a powerful God force does exist (generally approximating to Christianity) but proof has only been witnessed by Indy and a few others, and there is also some truth in the Buddhist/Hindu teachings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That may be true, and would have agreed with you broadly, but Andor has showed there's still space for genuinely riveting, creative stuff if given the runway to happen. For me Star Wars had become functionally, creatively bankrupt until I started watching that show. Now, could still turn out to be a single swallow not meaning a summer but it does also mean the franchise isn't completely beyond hope.

Indiana Jones of course is a much reduced, more limited and specific IP; not least by the fact it's set around a single individual, rather than a toybox universe. I keep seeing there's a National Treasture TV spin-off and that'll be interesting: a blatant Indy Jones knock-off but minus the actual actors who made the thing even remotely watchable (ie, Nicholas Cage)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The "I don't believe in magic" line is just stupid on face value. Let's be honest about it. However, if it's Uri Geller or David Copperfield type "magic", then that's a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

No doubt that the Disneyfied Indiana Jones doesn't believe in magic. He now works for a company that killed the artistic magic of his actual original creator's well crafted efforts. Just like they did to Luke Skywalker. Only works though if you watch this new trash and remember it as well as you did the originals, which nobody seems to accomplish, no matter how much they hype the new trash when it comes out.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

A scoop by the looks of it, John Williams let slip that "there is a new ending to shoot and record in a couple of weeks" 5:50 , maybe all the endings leaks were spot on

John Williams says they are shooting a new ending. Perhaps the rumours of poor test screenings were true

Too late to write a new ending for KOTCS? Thought I’d ask… we were all thinking it!

That movie needs much more than just a new ending.

More comedy? I know you're a big fan of that in your Indy movies 🤡

• Advertisement

Comedy is only good when it's funny.

Advertisement