Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef UK 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I would kill for some hasselback potatoes right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I would kill for some hasselback potatoes right now!
    I never even heard of the things before tonight, but they looked quare tasty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

Evening All!

Enjoyed that. Annie did very well, I also liked the way she said she was delighted with her dish to another contestant right at the end. No self-deprecation or anything and then her confidence was well-founded with her feedback. Happy for her.

Then we move onto the extremely attractive Jane :) I'm happy she got through. There is a Lioness under the there awaiting to be unleashed.

Fair play to Liz getting through aswell, though she seems wound extremely tight and mad stressed. She has a manic anxious smile.

That Jamie guy was an idiot with his Thai Green gravy, disaster. I thought Billy was lucky to go through, he will be gonzo soon enough. He is likely to go out through a complete disaster which might be entertaining.

There are a few next week that are blessed to have gotten through that I think will fall by the wayside and there were 3 in my mind, though now 4 with Annie, who I think are in the running to win it.

Juanita[Lauren to me], Annie, Liz from today, and the chap with glasses that looked similar to the Masterchef Professional winner at Chrimbo, who did the coriander dessert.

Oh ho ho..... sneaky schedule change warning!!

Not one, but two episodes next Monday - then Wed, Thu, Fri as usual.

Don't say you weren't warned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Some wonderful dishes but a lot in danger (watching on delay)

Some clear leaders too, love Jack and Pedro, really like Liz, Jane and Annie

• Advertisement

Predicting mike and Julie going, didn't think they were up to that level

Very surprised with the third person, thought some of the others were worse

Nobody around tonight? I'm just watching back now, have got through the first lot and about to get into the second.

Poor Jane! I think she's fantastic, and she just didn't quite make it. I really hope she gets through.

Annie.... meh. That midnight feast did nothing whatsoever for me. The judges seemed to be bowled over, though. Meh.

Pedro (aka Colin Farrell) - didn't quite know what to make of his dish. But he's still trading on his granny's menu! I suspect it tasted a lot better than it looked. Although quite how raw spring onion can bring any opposing (or otherwise) flavours together is beyond me.....

I'm running out of names now....

Ex army guy..... sweet gloopy plate of stodge is all I could think of his dish. Not my cuppa tea at all.

Mammy - couldn't quite see what the huge problem was with her presentation. OK, it wasn't 3* michelin dining, but IMO it looked better than Colin Farrell's dish of duck!

Jacob.... now THAT was car-crash presentation! Why didn't he get told to go off and read books on how to lay out a plate?? OK, I know his brownie collapsed on him, but it looked like someone had taken a lump hammer to the plate while his back was turned!

Guy with glasses wins in my book just for that 6" high Yorkshire pudding filled with gravy! That was a Sunday dinner I'd die for!!

Now..... can the second lot match, or even top, the first batch???

I'm still catching up. Just watching Annie's dish at the moment. Nothing has looked all that great so far, but maybe I'm just too picky!

I know I've missed a few posts, which I'm ignoring for fear of spoilers.

But in the meantime.... I'm slightly uncomfortable with the number of cooks who come onto the show (over various series) and trade on slagging off their mother's cooking :eek:

Is that really the best "inspiration" they can come up with for their dish?

• Advertisement

Not that I'm disagreeing with him, exactly... but Greg "I'm not sure the world of the sea and the world of the meadow go together quite as well as he thinks they do".

Eh.... surf'n'turf :confused:

Kim's dish just looks burnt :confused:

Agree with the judges though, that mash looks properly delish!

ETA -- whoops - Liz, not Kim where did I get that from? :o

G'wan Juanita!

Despite her dish consisting almost entirely of tomatoes (and I HATE tomatoes, I cannot describe how much) I think she's my favourite of the lot.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I know I've missed a few posts, which I'm ignoring for fear of spoilers.

But in the meantime.... I'm slightly uncomfortable with the number of cooks who come onto the show (over various series) and trade on slagging off their mother's cooking :eek:

Is that really the best "inspiration" they can come up with for their dish?

Ya, when Liz said that I put on my Dr Melfi hat and thought that explained why she is so highly strung. Something dark going on in the background there....:eek:

Evening all.

Ya Juanita [Lauren] is great, hope she wins, I got a bit emotional again at Gregg and John's comments :o

I thought it was a bit weird Billy going from more or less last to first. I thought he would have been lucky to get through.

No shock Mike or Stretch Armstrong didn't get through just not up to the level.

Finally in to the professional kitchens which could be good for a larf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

They're in professional kitchens tonight, that should separate the good cooks from the very good cooks.

Who's in tonight??

I'm falling behind a bit, but not far off live.

For fellas and girls who've never filleted/butchered before, they're looking very sanguine about it. Wonder did they get grinds beforehand?

Also wonder just how much a line-caught turbot costs :eek:

Nooooo..... c'mon Juanita, get your **** together!

Hold on a minute..... I thought it was a five-course tasting menu? So surely everyone should be getting every course? So what's all the shouting different orders about? :confused:

"They don't looook nice, like mine did...." :D

• Advertisement

Jaysus, I wouldn't last a lunch service without stabbing yer man :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I never knew David Brent became a chef

So..... what exactly is the difference between a raviolo that's closed and one that's open?

Cos Marcus clearly thinks they're a world apart :confused:

And how could you cook a partridge (other than in the microwave :eek:) without browning the skin even a little bit?

And if you somehow achieved that feat, why would you serve it???

Was Natasha's a chocolate cake or a chocolate fondant? :confused:

Jaysus, I wouldn't last a lunch service without stabbing yer man :eek:

The head chef? Thought he was OK, have seen far more prickly ones on it.

So..... what exactly is the difference between a raviolo that's closed and one that's open?

Cos Marcus clearly thinks they're a world apart :confused:

AFAIK an open one is a total disaster, should be flung in the bin. He shouldn't have served it IMO.

Hmmm, I'm fairly sure that I've seen open ravioli served and raved about - the difference being they were intended to be open. So what's the actual difference between open and closed? It's still just pasta and filling.

Smacks a bit of the emperor's new clothes to me......

Ello, ello, ello.

Quiet around here tonight.

My thoughts:

Thought a lot of the food looked rank in that Italian restaurant. The Octopus and black pasta not too appealing.

Stuart seemed to be the one who coped worst with the pressure. Everyone always has a few wobbles, though.

Annie doing well again.

Think Stuart could be gonzo here...

Looked a bit weird without a sauce.

Liz going for spud fondant again...

Jesus she looks gutted. I have a feeling she takes criticism badly.

Oh dear Jane. Greg giving her a boost though.

Ha ha. Marcus' face was priceless there at the sight of Pedro's dish. Ooh, harsh criticism there.

If Jen nails this she could breeze through which would have been surprising at the start. And she does!

So Jen and Annie are dead certs to go through. Perhaps Stewie to go or Jane maybe? Think Liz is safe.

Ooh, Pedro. Maybe a teeny bit harsh based on what he had done before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Ah so disappointed Pedro went :( I thought he was great.

I don't know what it is about Annie but I can't warm to her.

Advertisement