Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do for a living?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I'm an artist. Started my own business in college and expanded to professional printing not too long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Trainee Accountant.

When I was 16, I had a list as long as my arm of careers I was interested in. Accountancy was never one of them. Funny how life surprises you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

I instruct computers on how to properly send and receive strings of text over a network.

Ah I love it really and am pretty lucky in that regard. If I had a winfall tomorrow I'd still spend *some* time doing open source or mucking around with code in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Wage slave for the state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

padd b1975 wrote: »
    International truck driver.

Do International make trucks now?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Do International make trucks now?

Have done since 1986. International Harvester are known as Navistar International Corporation nowadays, but still use the International badge on truck products.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm a level 42 paladin. *takes inhaler*

I also work IT but I've been looking to bail and move into a different career for a while now, good pay but it bores me. Kinda sick to death of looking at computers, phones, printers, networks........the whole shagging lot :pac:

It was never supposed to be a permanent one and have spent my 20's doing it so wanna go off and do what I really want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

jimgoose wrote: »
    Have done since 1986. International Harvester are known as Navistar International Corporation nowadays, but still use the International badge on truck products.

Very popular with haulage firms in the USA.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Duggy747 wrote: »
    It was never supposed to be a permanent one and have spent my 20's doing it so wanna go off and do what I really want to do.

Have you considered the glamorous career choice of being a gigolo? I can help manage your contracts, the finances and I'll also keep you in line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Im a professional quoter, like for example did you know "you make a living by what you get and a life by what you give"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Have you considered the glamorous career choice of being a gigolo? I can help manage your contracts, the finances and I'll also keep you in line.

I like the cut your jib, you're hired!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Wall to wall transparency coordinator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Frynge wrote: »
    Wall to wall transparency coordinator.

So you make buildings out of glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

JustShon wrote: »
    So you make buildings out of glass?

No, I wash windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Chef, although I occasionally moonlight in my job as a kp, glass collector, barrel changer and bar man.
    Whatever needs to be done in the pub; we all muck in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Started in IT in 1999, moved through various functional roles, escaped the horrors of projects and now manage contracts, relationships between a few large companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I am Chandler Bing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Elemonator wrote: »
    How did you go about that actually? Did it take long?

Something I'd seriously consider myself, if I didn't get the FE1's.

Nothing exciting I'm afraid! Got my degree in 2009. Foolishly ;) got engaged and bought a house with my now husband so the bills had to be paid. With the recession etc there was more money in trainee accountant than trainee solicitor! And easier to get a job. Did the ACCA (took me the guts of 2-2.5 years to complete the exams, only one excemption with the LLB) and The rest is history :)

To be fair the LLB has stood to me big time and has helped me in my career. Always hope to go back and do the FE1s at some stage but maybe when the kids are grown up!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm Aongus Von Bismarck's boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Boom_Bap wrote: »

aka Nurse Ratched

Make sure he takes his pills today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Best spoken and most ambitious shelf stacker you ever had?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

BraveDonut wrote: »
    I am Chandler Bing

Are you a transpondster?

I'm currently not working. Graduated with a BCL last year but it's not the career path for me. Looking into re-training as a make-up artist in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'm a Leonard Zelig impersonator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Digs wrote: »
    Nothing exciting I'm afraid! Got my degree in 2009. Foolishly ;) got engaged and bought a house with my now husband so the bills had to be paid. With the recession etc there was more money in trainee accountant than trainee solicitor! And easier to get a job. Did the ACCA (took me the guts of 2-2.5 years to complete the exams, only one excemption with the LLB) and The rest is history :)

To be fair the LLB has stood to me big time and has helped me in my career. Always hope to go back and do the FE1s at some stage but maybe when the kids are grown up!

Ah you can't deny its a cracking job though! Maybe even recession proof, with insolvency and all that. Were the exams hard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

I wash ducks for a living. Plenty of money in washing them ducks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,827 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm a part time soccer coach in schools. It can sometimes feel like a glorified baby sitting job but sometimes you just get to have a good game of ball with the kids and they love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭cena

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm a part time soccer coach in schools. It can sometimes feel like a glorified baby sitting job but sometimes you just get to have a good game of ball with the kids and they love it.

I feel like this every week at football training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I've had a few insurance claims ;)

Advertisement