Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 World T20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Dreadful performance indeed.
    I am a true believer than when you are playing the poorer sides you need to chase rather than bat first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

BarryD wrote: »
    Leveler or lottery - amounts to much the same :) But I agree, they do seem to call for specific skill sets, each ball is amplified in importance way beyond the more conventional games. The better teams will prevail in the end because they make better than average luck for themselves. However luck still plays a big part - look how many edges you see flying for boundaries.

Look at how many no balls, wides and extras we gave away yesterday. Absolutely nothing to do with luck.

They were 90-5........and only scored 40 runs after that yet chased down 155. Not lucky

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Scotland have a chance against Zimbabwe at the moment, as long as this current partnership bats through to near the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Look at how many no balls, wides and extras we gave away yesterday. Absolutely nothing to do with luck.

They were 90-5........and only scored 40 runs after that yet chased down 155. Not lucky

Agreed in the context of this match but overall in general luck plays a much larger part in this T20 format. When batsmen have to go after balls, good or bad - luck comes into it. Conventional batting wisdom says respect good balls and don't chase bad balls too wildly. But that goes out the window in T20, where nearly every ball has to be thrashed in the last third of an innings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Leveler or lottery - amounts to much the same :) But I agree, they do seem to call for specific skill sets, each ball is amplified in importance way beyond the more conventional games. The better teams will prevail in the end because they make better than average luck for themselves. However luck still plays a big part - look how many edges you see flying for boundaries.

Individual performance is more important as well. One dropped catch, one poor over can change a game with far greater effect than in the longer formats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

In fairness its a hard game to get to grips with. You have to go for it which leaves you open half the time. It can be hit and miss which is evident considering no country has won more than 1 world cup. I prefer 1 dayers but the randomness of this game is compelling and great for people new to cricket. And let's be honest some of the catches so far have been unreal great advertisement for the game, and the big boys haven't even started yet

Agreed in the context of this match but overall in general luck plays a much larger part in this T20 format. When batsmen have to go after balls, good or bad - luck comes into it. Conventional batting wisdom says respect good balls and don't chase bad balls too wildly. But that goes out the window in T20, where nearly every ball has to be thrashed in the last third of an innings.

I agree that it is potentially the batsmens mindset to hit every ball......I still think that more conventional shots have a place in the format.

The pressure is constantly on the bowlers and if a batsman could take singles and 2's and then punish the bad balls it should win you more games than not. Im speaking from and irish point of view however.

If we had a player the calibre of de villiers or warner i would expect a boundary every ball

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Lashing rain in Dharamsala - a no-result would be mean curtains for Ireland, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭markbrop

Yes a no result in our game will put us out. A no result in Holland-Oman will still keep us in the hunt if we can beat Bangladesh and Holland and they beat Oman - it will all depend on run rate then.

I guess that's what can happen when you schedule a venue close to large mountains..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

First match called off - Netherlands out. If the same happens with our game, the Bang-Oman match is basically a playoff.

Rain can happen in most places, but it's a shame that the tournament progression gets decided like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

TrueDub wrote: »
    First match called off - Netherlands out. If the same happens with our game, the Bang-Oman match is basically a playoff.

Rain can happen in most places, but it's a shame that the tournament progression gets decided like this.

Don't understand why the game can't just be rearranged for the next day, it's not as if many fans are going to these games..

And having both games in the same ground is just stupidity, especially when it's right beside a mountain range.

TrueDub wrote: »

True, but choosing a venue that is close to a large mountain range kinda asks for trouble. These places attract precipitation. You'd think they might have planned for this contingency?

What happens by the way for washouts at later stages of this tournament when the big boys come in?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 machomac

Please stop raining. I can't handle going out like this. I've looking forward to this ever since the world cup last year. I just want to see the lads play again. I'm just sitting watching the forecast wondering if I can head to the pub to cheer them on. I'm in Sydney so match kicks off at 1am.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭josip

Absolute disaster. I'm disgusted. There has to be a better way. You train for years and then just get dumped. Play it tomorrow for God sake.

The rain has stopped. Field been given a clean-up. There may be a ball bowled tonight. C'mon lads.

When you look at the situation, it seems that the organisers just wanted to get this qualifier part out of the way as quick as possible. A sop to the Associates. From their point of view, I guess the tournament starts next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

When you look at the situation, it seems that the organisers just wanted to get this qualifier part out of the way as quick as possible. A sop to the Associates. From their point of view, I guess the tournament starts next week.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/video_audio/980827.html
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/video_audio/981243.html

You and everyone should listen to the interview from the Scotish and Dutch captains and try your best not to lose your cool.

Next chance for the associates to participate on the world stage is the quaifiers for the world cup in 2019 which have been set up to ensure they fail.

I try not to think about the treatment of the associates that much, not because I don't care, but because how utterly infuriating it is.

Giles Clarke a picture tells so much.

gcstanfjulainhuntg_3300288b.jpg

Its sickening listening to those interviews.

Its crazy to think of all the qualifying games that both nations had to go through just to get to the next qualifying round where the odds at stacked massively against them. They play one game and thats it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,533 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Game on in 15 mins or so. 12 overs. Ireland win the toss and will bowl.

Ireland win the toss and opt the Bat last. I'm looking forward to the chase down. Only 12 overs a side. Let's play ball..

Poor drop

And now poor fielding. Messy start

12 overs a side, sh*tty weather, soggy outfield.

A total lottery. Anything could happen here.

Getting hammered here

Another drop :(

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭markbrop

Bring on the spinners for heavens sake - this is India remember!

Is it just me or have our fielding standards dropped noticeably in the last few years?

• Advertisement

Getting smashed here. C'mon lads

Advertisement