Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 World T20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Damn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

3 to win off 2, no 10 on strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

That's an awful mess

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Urrrrgh.

That last ball summed it up. Ireland should never have lost that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

You'd have to say we threw that away.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jemser

What a pathetic last over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Collective failure

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

That was terrible at the end stop bowling fecking full tosses

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Some really poor decisions made there, Rankin should have been bowling that last over and Dockrell should have been in that side. Threw it away but fair play to Oman, a huge moment in history for them

I mean fair play to Oman but Ireland threw it away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

What was the story?
    Were Oman much better than expected or were Ireland just poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,031 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Infuriated with that result.

How Young and Boyd only bowled 5 overs between them while Sorenson bowled the last over is absolutely ****e captaincy.

The less said about the final over from Murtagh the better.

Ireland are in serious decline, but Oman should be beaten every day of the week, a very low moment for Ireland.

We will be hammered by Bangladesh and Holland.

Would have been fantastic if Gary Wilson's superb fielding had won us the game, but Murtagh's over was absolutely disastrous

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

oh man oh man oh man!

What was the story?

I only say the last six overs on tv but there were some really poor bowling and fielding and just weren't clinical enough.

What was the story?

Oman are a side who have came on leaps and bounds in the last few years and this was always a potential banana skin.

I think a huge problem for Ireland is we don't have the bowlers to bowl out a game, we are much much better chasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

The bowling was piss poor the fielding was farcical at times. And if we are mediocre at that we need to be a lot better at bat. Well done to Oman but Ireland should beat them everyday of the week. That's that I suppose. We will probably produce 1 amazing performance and another mediocre 1 which seems to be the trend for this team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭Augme

What was the story?

Ireland bottled it basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,031 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Would have been fantastic if Gary Wilson's superb fielding had won us the game, but Murtagh's over was absolutely disastrous

It was horrible, and the most depressing thing is he probably should have gone for more runs. Maybe we should have listened to him when he retired from international t20s?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

That was awful to watch. After 12 overs in each innings we were well set just to see indisicpline with both bat and ball kill our chances

• Advertisement

These 20 over matches are always a bit of a lottery - poor form of cricket, but still we had our chance to toughen it out. And couldn't take it. The first and last balls of that final over were shockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,893 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just been watching a few highlights on New Zealand morning telly. Needless to say, the sportsguy was suitably scoffing...

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

Sorry but we're not a good t20 outfit.

Sorenson bowling the worst over in World t20 history certainly didnt help.

At the end of the day this side struggled in qualifying, no surprise they lost if im honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I only followed the match on cricinfo, so my summary may be a bit awry.

I think Ireland are in unknown territory at the moment and have gone from plucky underdogs, to one of the top ten teams in the world. This puts extra pressure on them when they are playing teams like Oman. They need to learn to deal with this.

The pressure really mounted for the last few overs and the obvious thing, is put your most experienced bowler in to close the innings out.

I'm presuming Murtagh and Rankin were earmarked for this, but Murtagh having a mare of an over forced a decision, keep him on for the last, or make a change. Obviously the wrong decision was made and a nightmare first ball from Sorensen just added more pressure.

Great match though, two amazing pieces of fielding and a nail biter of a finish made for a great spectacle, but Ireland really need to learn from this.

Hats off to Oman though, great first world cup game for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I had to leave at 86-5 so I was pretty surprised to see we lost from there. But in general at t20 we have not been good lately, I said it before but this is the lowest expectations I have ever had going into a major tournament for ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

BarryD wrote: »
    These 20 over matches are always a bit of a lottery - poor form of cricket, but still we had our chance to toughen it out. And couldn't take it. The first and last balls of that final over were shockers.

I wouldn't call it a lottery. It's a leveler where the relative rankings of teams do not mean a lot.

Courageous batting, disciplined bowling and good captain-ship are required to win, Oman had all 3, we had none. Well done Oman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Sorry but we're not a good t20 outfit.

Sorenson bowling the worst over in World t20 history certainly didnt help.

At the end of the day this side struggled in qualifying, no surprise they lost if im honest.

As above, it's not a format that we are good at. Did anyone see Portersfield's interview afterwards where he said nations were putting money into T20 to better themselves. (Was that a dig at CI?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭Augme

HonalD wrote: »
    As above, it's not a format that we are good at. Did anyone see Portersfield's interview afterwards where he said nations were putting money into T20 to better themselves. (Was that a dig at CI?)

Given his own horrific performance as captain this isn't the best time to be having a pop at other people(that's if he meant it to be).

HonalD wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it a lottery. It's a leveler where the relative rankings of teams do not mean a lot.

Courageous batting, disciplined bowling and good captain-ship are required to win, Oman had all 3, we had none. Well done Oman.

Leveler or lottery - amounts to much the same :) But I agree, they do seem to call for specific skill sets, each ball is amplified in importance way beyond the more conventional games. The better teams will prevail in the end because they make better than average luck for themselves. However luck still plays a big part - look how many edges you see flying for boundaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭markbrop

Dreadful tactics from Ireland I'm afraid. Oman should have been dead and buried at 92 for 5 but our tactics from then on were mindboggling. Rankin and McBrine should definitely have bowled their full quota of overs and I couldnt believe it when Sorenson was given the last over. It must have been one of the worst overs ever bowled in international cricket.

Advertisement