Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Reserve 26 Y/O Single Malt Whiskey - Aldi - 49.99€

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

VW 1 wrote: »
    Where was that TB?

Dicky Macks in Dingle!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Dicky Macks in Dingle!

Mad culchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

Crazy the shot is 6x the cost per shot at retail price, never mind trade price.

Understand that there needs to be a mark up but that's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

15 a shot

That's saucy.
    Abbot's in Cork charging €10.

On the one hand, €15 for an Irish 26 year old malt seems not too bad but then you take in the fact that the dogs on the street know it retails for €50, it seems a bit daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

VW 1 wrote: »
    Crazy the shot is 6x the cost per shot at retail price, never mind trade price.

Understand that there needs to be a mark up but that's crazy.

Aldi don't sell trade and generally there is very little difference between trade and retail on spirits

Its also not 6x, more 4x as you get about 16/17 shots from a standard bottle unless you measure precisely - and dick macks are known for a decent over pour.

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Aldi don't sell trade and generally there is very little difference between trade and retail on spirits

Its also not 6x, more 4x as you get about 16/17 shots from a standard bottle unless you measure precisely - and dick macks are known for a decent over pour.

Considering RB 12 is 60e a bottle in the shop and you can normally find it and 9/9.50 in a pub

15e for a shot of this is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

CeilingFly wrote: »

Not to attack you personally, but....
    Even at your minimum of 16 measures that works out at €240 being paid per bottle. Considering a bottle is €50, I would say that 4.8 times mark up is taking the piss. I've very rarely seen more than 2 times mark up. 4.8 (at best) is extortionate and I would love to hear a legitimate argument that genuinely backs this robbery up.

dos29 wrote: »
    I would love to hear a legitimate argument that genuinely backs this robbery up.

Some people who don't know the origin of the bottle may think that €15 for a 26 year old Irish malt is good value and happily hand over the money, making a handsome profit for the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

If anyone can sort me out with a bottle of this I'd be very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Had a couple of drams of this last night before bed.
    My second impression is better than my first.
    Nice burn and finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 blind mans bluff

Meant to say, thanks vm for the Tralee tip off. I have a buddy down there who took a look and found a solitary bottle on the shelf, perhaps the last bottle anywhere?? It should be a nice Christmas dram, Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

limnam wrote: »
    Considering RB 12 is 60e a bottle in the shop and you can normally find it and 9/9.50 in a pub

I pay 6.50 for Redbreast in a rural pub.

Geuze wrote: »
    I pay 6.50 for Redbreast in a rural pub.

Great.

But hows the broadband! :pac:

Seriously though

6.50 sounds about the right price in order to get people to pay for it.

I tend not to bother with whiskey in pubs most of the time due to price of anything I'd want to drink.

limnam wrote: »
    Great.

But hows the broadband! :pac:

Seriously though

6.50 sounds about the right price in order to get people to pay for it.

I tend not to bother with whiskey in pubs most of the time due to price of anything I'd want to drink.

Yeah, most pubs charge silly money for premium whisky.
    They're not really interested in selling them, they just want to have a couple on the shelf.
    I know bars that make a massive margin on the cheap spirits and sell the premium stuff cheaper. They still make good money on them per shot just less gross profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,126 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My local back home puts a flat 50% margin on the bottle of whiskey and is extremely damn careful with measures as a result. As a result they charge <€5 for the normal "premium" bottles and maybe €8 for the stuff that's 20+ elsewhere. This is a pub which had €3 pints of Heineken until this summer though...

I'd need to actually work the price out but I think they might go as daringly high as 75% margin on stuff like Black Bush but those aren't measured like they're liquid gold :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

So, back on topic. Is this now all gone?
    I tried Limerick a few times again but there is none ever on the shelf and when I inquired about going on a waiting list I got puzzled looks and some lame excuses by staff who couldn't be bothered.

Hard to say.....I made calls to head office and some stores about a week and a half ago, most I could get was that they intend to restock infrequently between release and Christmas, though no clue as to when, where, or how many. I would think looking at the demand in UK and Europe it may be spread a lot thinner than planned.... but this is all just speculating. I would say the best bet is to check stores or ask friends in other towns to do similar if they happen to be passing a store; I would suggest early afternoon on Mondays and Thursdays (11th, 14th, 18th, 21st) as optimum days for this, but that's just guessing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭brevity

It could be gone for good or turn on some random Thursday in February. Neither would surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭sceach16

Aldi 26 yo
    Melendez wrote: »
    I got a bottle in East Wall on Thursday despite being told it was gone forever a couple of days after the offer was available (and sold out).

Ditto in Swords on Thursday last. I got the last one and was told each store had got 3 cases in total (36 bottles?) and that was it !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Having a tough time holding off on opening this. Is it Christmas yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yes, it's Christmas since yesterday,

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Half way through a bottle and more than happy with the purchase.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It's advertised again in next week's Aldi leaflet so I don't think we've seen the last of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭brevity

My Dad said picked up another bottle in Killarney this week. He said there was about 4 or 5 on the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭EriT

Any sign of this back in stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭tphase

EriT wrote: »
    no sign of any in Clifden yesterday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭sceach16

EriT wrote: »
    tphase wrote: »
    no sign of any in Clifden yesterday evening

Nor in Dundrum....

Gave them a ring, they did a search for me by county and I was told that there's definitely none anywhere in Kildare or Dublin. I was also told that if there was any more it would be released without notice.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Checked Wilton, both Ballincollig branches and Mahon...none left there either

Advertisement