Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

anyone have an interest in this ? would it be a good investment based on the cult following ?

https://www.obrienswine.ie/blog/entry/game-of-thrones-whisky/

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭sceach16

Bartyman wrote: »
    anyone have an interest in this ? would it be a good investment based on the cult following ?

https://www.obrienswine.ie/blog/entry/game-of-thrones-whisky/

See p222 postsc3323 (I think). IMO, Any notion of investment is for an expert on game of thrones collectibles rather than as whisky. 500 euro is a lot for a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

Probable in a few years they'll be worth more - by how much is any mans guess. From what I've read they have/ are set to release a second round of them. There's loads on the market still so you would need to hold for a good while.

As with all collectible whiskey, buy if you actually are interested/want the whiskey for what it is. If it doesn't work out at least you've fed your whiskey hobby in some way and can drink it/gift it/sell close to retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't think any of these pre-mixed drinks actually use the branded spirit to provide all the alcohol.
    Probably a good dose of neutral grain* spirits to achieve the desired ABV more cheaply. Your average Jack & Coke or Smirnoff Ice drinker isn't going to care.

I think an old fashioned is meant to be drunk as a proper cocktail though, rather than as a long drink like Jack & Coke; so there'd be a lot more of the spirit in it, it's bottled at 38% rather than under 10%.
    So in this particular bottle I would expect Powers?
    It'd be helpful if they declared that in their marketing promos, wasn't totally clear from the blurb I read.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think an old fashioned is meant to be drunk as a proper cocktail though, rather than as a long drink like Jack & Coke; so there'd be a lot more of the spirit in it, it's bottled at 38% rather than under 10%.
    So in this particular bottle I would expect Powers?
    It'd be helpful if they declared that in their marketing promos, wasn't totally clear from the blurb I read.

That's an old fashioned alright, it's just booze and bitters with sugar and an orange twist. That doesn't mean they wouldn't throw cheaper stock into it and use the Powers brand.

Seems a bit strange to me. Most people would strongly associate an old fashioned with bourbon or rye, so making it with Irish whiskey is quite unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Picked up a bottle of Connemara for £20.39 at Glasgow Airport this evening. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Walsh's The Irishman Founders Reserve is €30 in Dunnes at the moment (down from €35) - much better value than what you'd get from Irish Distillers at that price.

Also Green Spot is €5 off in Dunnes - down to €55.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Drinking 18 year old Arran. A light and fruity whiskey. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Having a J+B rare blend with some crushed ice and sparkling water.

It's 47% and it still tastes every bit of it even when it's diluted.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Walsh's The Irishman Founders Reserve is €30 in Dunnes at the moment (down from €35) - much better value than what you'd get from Irish Distillers at that price.

The Irishman founders reserve is a really, really good whiskey. Great value.

• Advertisement

Drinking some Caol Ila 18 year old tonight. Another wonderful islay whisky.

Midleton Very Rare has 5 off and Yellow Spot also. If U have vouchers (10 off 50), Midleton is 140 and Yellow Spot is 60. These are exceptional prices on stuff rarely on special offer. Green Spot at 44 after vouchers is also cheap. Johns Lane and Redbreastalsoo have 5 off.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

sceach16 wrote: »
    Midleton Very Rare has 5 off and Yellow Spot also. If U have vouchers (10 off 50), Midleton is 140 and Yellow Spot is 60. These are exceptional prices on stuff rarely on special offer. Green Spot at 44 after vouchers is also cheap. Johns Lane and Redbreastalsoo have 5 off.

€10 of €50 vouchers are currently available in the My Vodafone app if you don't already have one or you need multiple vouchers to buy something like Midleton. Can print off multiple vouchers from the app so if you're not a Vodafone customer, just ask someone who is!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Currently have a bottle of this winging its way over from the US

angelsenvy_1_1200x1200.jpg?v=1542762241

Why You Need to Try Angel's Envy Bourbon - Perfection in a Glass

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Are you saying so that Midleton VR is 130eur with the 10eur off 50eur voucher??????

How is it so cheap? Do they not retail at 180?

If this is the case im heading straight to Dunnes to pick up a bottle!!!!

Hogzy wrote: »
    Are you saying so that Midleton VR is 130eur with the 10eur off 50eur voucher??????

How is it so cheap? Do they not retail at 180?

If this is the case im heading straight to Dunnes to pick up a bottle!!!!

Normal list is 180. 5 off most Irish whiskies so 175. If you have 4 vouchers for 10 off 50, You can combine them (buy /spend 25 more on anything else to bring spend to 200). Effectively 20% off 175 or 35 euro which brings it down to 140.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Travelling to Fort William tomorrow for a weekend with a few friends, we've pool our resources for a mini stash of :

Talisker 10
    Laplroaig 10
    Aberlour 12
    Dalwhinnie 15
    Highland Park 12
    Redbreast 12
    Bushmills 10

Had to add the irish 2 as not everyone in the group is a scotch fan....

If anyone is interested in my rankings of the weekend, all very good whiskeys, not the biggest fan Laphraoigh but I knew that going into the weekend.

1. Aberlour 12
    2. Dalwhinnie 15
    3. Talisker 10
    4. Redbreast 12
    5. Highland Park 12
    6. Bushmills 10
    7. Laphraoigh 10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Normal list is 180. 5 off most Irish whiskies so 175. If you have 4 vouchers for 10 off 50, You can combine them (buy /spend 25 more on anything else to bring spend to 200). Effectively 20% off 175 or 35 euro which brings it down to 140.

Brilliant didn’t realise you could combine vouchers!!!

Has anyone tried the jameson black barrel cask strength? Worth picking up?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Has anyone tried the jameson black barrel cask strength? Worth picking up?

Which one is that? The bottle your own cask strength in the distillery for 100€?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Would anyone be willing to do a sample swap? I would like to try Yellow Spot. I live in Scotland and have a reasonably good collection so if someone was in agreement I would let them select a bottle and I'd put a sample of it into a wee sample bottle.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Would anyone be willing to do a sample swap? I would like to try Yellow Spot. I live in Scotland and have a reasonably good collection so if someone was in agreement I would let them select a bottle and I'd put a sample of it into a wee sample bottle.

https://mitchellandson.com/collections/irish-whiskey/products/single-pot-still-4x50ml-gift-pack.

This set is available in a number of whiskey shops in Ireland . 50 ml each of yellow spot, redbreast, johns lane and barry crockett for about 35 euro. Might be worth checking if is available where U are. Celtic whiskey and others will ship.

Sorry should have said I ain't got a bottle of yellowspot!

Which one is that? The bottle your own cask strength in the distillery for 100€?

Yep the fill your own.

Btw if anyone is looking to get a bottle of the distillery 12 year old it has been discontinued and only a few left in stock. Might want to grab!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

For those that have err.....'cousins in the UK' (let's not discuss specifics here!), Amazon have some great deals today (several awaiting stock though):

Midleton Barry Crocket Legacy £139.29.
    Ardbeg Uigeadail £44.11.
    Ardbeg Corryvreckan £53.46.
    Redbreast 15 £58.
    Redbreast 21 £138.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

https://mitchellandson.com/collections/irish-whiskey/products/single-pot-still-4x50ml-gift-pack.

This set is available in a number of whiskey shops in Ireland . 50 ml each of yellow spot, redbreast, johns lane and barry crockett for about 35 euro. Might be worth checking if is available where U are. Celtic whiskey and others will ship.

Sorry should have said I ain't got a bottle of yellowspot!

That pack looks good but it's a green spot not yellow.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    That pack looks good but it's a green spot not yellow.

EEEk. Sorry. Senior moment! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Nice selection of miniatures for the weekend!

Grace O'Malley rum cask in the hip flask

actuar90 wrote:
    Nice selection of miniatures for the weekend!

Where did you get the 21 redbreast and how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭facehugger99

For those that have err.....'cousins in the UK' (let's not discuss specifics here!), Amazon have some great deals today (several awaiting stock though):

Midleton Barry Crocket Legacy £139.29.
    Ardbeg Uigeadail £44.11.
    Ardbeg Corryvreckan £53.46.
    Redbreast 15 £58.
    Redbreast 21 £138.

Had a bottle from Amazon confiscated by customs last week :(

• Advertisement

Drinking 21 year old Girvan 1993 which is a single grain scotch that comes in at 51.6%. Starts off smooth and creamy with a spicy and fruity finish. A slight oily and bitter aftertaste which would put me off getting it again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement