Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Cazale wrote: »
    Where did you get the 21 redbreast and how much?

It was €30, a bottle share on the Irish whiskey Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

actuar90 wrote: »
    It was €30, a bottle share on the Irish whiskey Facebook page

5cl? That's bloody pricey in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Wailin wrote: »
    5cl? That's bloody pricey in fairness.

10cl. Given its 190 for a 70cl bottle I thought it was very good actually

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Came through Malaga duty free last night, looked for a bottle of redbrest but couldn't find it, picked a a bottle of JW double black plus a few bottles of red wine.

A bottle of 101 edition Markers mark caught my eye, 1lt must be 80 euro here, on sale at 45 euro. put it in the basket, went and paid for 'everything' at cashier....

And to me delight she didn't put the Makers mark through the till. So I'll be enjoying it free of charge..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

actuar90 wrote: »
    10cl. Given its 190 for a 70cl bottle I thought it was very good actually

How was the RB21? I have a bottle at home but am reluctant to open it for some reason. Sitting in the press since Christmas.

• Advertisement

Why the reluctance? Why don't you just open it and enjoy it for what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Picked up a bottle of each of the glendalough whisky and the quiet man one for father's Day. I'll no doubt get to sample tomorrow, anyone here tried either before?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I love the Glendalough 13, maybe my favourite Irish at the moment.

I love the Glendalough 13, maybe my favourite Irish at the moment.
    A beautiful whiskey and one of my favourite's at the moment. The redbreast 12 cask strength just edges it for me but the Glendalough Mizunara is just so unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gonna pick up a bottle if Dalmore. Was tossing up the 12 vrs the 15. But seen a cigar malt yesterday that sounded interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If anyone is interested in my rankings of the weekend, all very good whiskeys, not the biggest fan Laphraoigh but I knew that going into the weekend.

1. Aberlour 12
    2. Dalwhinnie 15
    3. Talisker 10
    4. Redbreast 12
    5. Highland Park 12
    6. Bushmills 10
    7. Laphraoigh 10

Picked up the Aberlour for £29 in Sainsburys based on this ranking -- they've a fairly decent sale on whisky at the moment. Will report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

Had a good few of the method and madness range over the weekend. Well worth the time if you haven't dived in yet. The single pot still was a real winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Picked up the Aberlour for £29 in Sainsburys based on this ranking -- they've a fairly decent sale on whisky at the moment. Will report back!

Hope you like it! pressure is on now

Apparently the Scotch Whiskey association has updated the technical file for scotch whiskey. Now scotch isnt only limited to aging in casks used in traditional methods (new oak, bourbon, sherry, etc) but has been expanded to include beer, wine, and other spirits.

Can't help but feel that they are taking some Irish inspiration on that one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Had a glass of The Palace Bar Dingle and and their Redbreast 17. Dingle was nice the Redbreast was fantastic. Have a bottle of Dingle Brianas Choice to drink as well when I can a few bods in the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Wailin wrote: »
    Why the reluctance? Why don't you just open it and enjoy it for what it is?

I don't know tbh. It's a weird mental block or something. Just think it should be enjoyed by the many rather than me just having one or two a night for a couple of weeks

I'll share it with you! Joking aside, it's a lovely whisky, and a good one for special occasions. It's a step up from the 12 and 15, and also the 12CS. More complex, it has surprising little notes that the others don't have. Not as in your face as the CS, but it's a superior whiskey imo.

I've been meaning to get another bottle but so many other, less expensive whiskies I've been wanting to try instead.

To be honest, while it's great to enjoy with others, I sometimes find you get the most out of a whiskey on your own, in familiar surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Tickets for whiskey live on 22 and 23 of November are now on sale. One session on the Friday and two on the Saturday as usual. Tickets are €47. No word on.the masterclass sessions just yet. Thankfully I'm off work that weekend!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I see McGregors stuff is coming under scrutiny by the IWA...
    It is understood that the Irish Whiskey Association (IWA) is looking into whether the name Proper No. Twelve leaves consumers with the impression that the spirit has been aged for 12 years, and is therefore misleading.

The association has been reviewing the case for some time
    https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2019/06/conor-mcgregors-proper-no-twelve-whiskey-under-scrutiny-from-iwa/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

To be fair, and I'm not a fan of him at all. That's a bit OTT. If someone cared enough about whiskey to want a particular age statement, they would not be looking in the direction of a €30 whiskey made by a disgraced MMA fighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I was convinced that they wouldn't get as far as releasing the whiskey with that name. I was wrong about that.
    It's still wouldn't surprise me if the name gets pulled. If this happens and they handle the publicity correctly, it could give the brand a boost by being in the headlines again. I think the IWA were asleep at the wheel when that brand came out.

Nobody, who knows that whiskey can be aged, thinks Proper 12 is 12 years old.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I suppose the regulator is more concerned for the casual whiskey drinker who scans a shelf and sees a plethora of names and numbers and lands on "Proper Twelve" thinking it's very good value compared to all the other 12 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Didn't crested ten eventually become crested to avoid misleading people into thinking it was ten year old whiskey?

Cazale wrote: »
    Didn't crested ten eventually become crested to avoid misleading people into thinking it was ten year old whiskey?

Yes, I believe that was the reason for the name change.

Mellor wrote: »
    Nobody, who knows that whiskey can be aged, thinks Proper 12 is 12 years old.

Don't underestimate the ignorance that is out there regarding whiskey.

A barman once explained to me the difference between Irish and Scotch whisky - Scotch is blended and Irish isn't.

Tour guide at a large distillery - "It has to be triple distilled to be legally called Irish whiskey."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Bought a bottle of Method & Madness Single Pot Still at the weekend. Haven't opened it yet but have tasted it before and I'm a fan of these in general, particularly the pot still bottles. This one is batch 2, "French Chestnut"
    Batch 2 of this special Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey has been matured in a combination of ex-oloroso Sherry and ex-Bourbon barrels before being transferred to chestnut casks sourced from the Isére region in France.
    Method and Madness reinforces Irish Distillers’ “continued commitment” to experimentation and innovation at the Midleton Distillery.

There is a newer version aged in Hungarian Oak but that one is a bit more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Was in the UK last weekend and there was a 2 1000cl for £75 deal for certain whiskeys. Got a bottle of Jameson Signature and a bottle of Aberfeldy Single Malt. Had never had the Jameson before so having a wee one now, tis nice, very subtle. Havnt had any of the Aberfeldy yet but the chap in the store recommended it. Any opinions?

As an aside, drinking whiskey is only a recent phenomenon to me and its very much a home drink rather than a night out one. How does one know whether a particular brand is better with an ice cube or not or is it purely personal preference?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

How does one know whether a particular brand is better with an ice cube or not or is it purely personal preference?

Always going to be personal preferences

A few glasses in I'll argue to the death that certain brands need ice/a bit of cold water/nothing but that's my preference on them - others will be different.

I use a small amount of ice in most. I've found a few that benefit slightly from being a little bit cold but the melting ice kills them for me (the basic Jura) - but others will disagree; and that's fine. They're right for them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

L1011 wrote: »
    Always going to be personal preferences

A few glasses in I'll argue to the death that certain brands need ice/a bit of cold water/nothing but that's my preference on them - others will be different.

I use a small amount of ice in most. I've found a few that benefit slightly from being a little bit cold but the melting ice kills them for me (the basic Jura) - but others will disagree; and that's fine. They're right for them!

Cheers. I generally stick a cube or two in myself alright. Have mainly been drinking Red Breast 12 (absolutely love it) or Black Barrell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement