Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Any advice on a whiskey? I love RB 12, compared it to Green Spot just now and although Green is excellent I still prefer the RB.

Anything in a similar vein i might like? Have an unopened bottle of Powers Johns Lane that I got as a present that should hit the spot.

Didn't like the Powers John Lane that much at first but it's definitely grown on me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Any advice on a whiskey? I love RB 12, compared it to Green Spot just now and although Green is excellent I still prefer the RB.

Anything in a similar vein i might like? Have an unopened bottle of Powers Johns Lane that I got as a present that should hit the spot.

If you want to move up a bit from Green Spot, Yellow Spot is a fairly logical choice. Not tried Red yet nor do I expect to until its bedded in and goes on a discount at some point!

Johns Lane is a very good product also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Might be of interest to some, RB tasting dinner that finishes with DC20

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dream-cask-tasting-dinner-tickets-64796342605

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Same as, hard to beat the RB 12 but a soft spot for Green Spot too. I keep going back to the Teelings small batch for good value, easy on the nose and smooth enough.
    I'm interested to hear more of what the two lads above were talking about, Method and Madness, and where it can be got?

Method and Madness are "experimental" bottles from Middleton. They are a bit different from normal middleton but are worth checking out.

I tasted a few of them at a tasting but they can be bought in the airport and celtic whiskey shop for sure.

They have a range, single malt, single grain, pot still etc. And then different batches within that.

There's also apparently a Gin and a 31 year old single grain if you've €2k+ lying around!

https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=madness

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Came across this and thought it might be of interest to the folks on here. The Irish Press Brewing And Distilling Industries Supplement, April 30 1955. Whiskey special.

https://twitter.com/Bill_Linnane/status/1147427574341087233?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

In South West France at the moment and spotted these on sale in my local supermarket, any particular bargains or anything to avoid?

IMG201907081320451562663972.jpg

IMG201907081320521562664052.jpg

IMG201907081321131562664090.jpg

IMG201907081321371562664124.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Jura is lovely. Monkey shoulder is nice too - almost too easy to drink, would be good in cocktails too.
    But think the Jura would be easier to get home as it is boxed up.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I don't see much there personally, the Laphraoig doesnt look to have an age statement, the Jura I've seen much cheaper, not a fan of JW, and never heard of Monkey Shoulder.......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't see much there personally, the Laphraoig doesnt look to have an age statement, the Jura I've seen much cheaper, not a fan of JW, and never heard of Monkey Shoulder.......

You won't get the Jura in ROI for €35? Unless you mean up North?

Monkey Shoulder is a new category of whisky, a "blended malt". Unlike other blends it doesn't have any grain, just malted whiskies. In this case, Balvenie, Glenfiddich and Kininvie. No age statement though. I'd say most similar to Chivas.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Thanks guys, might invest in a bottle of Monkey Shoulder to enjoy on the porch in the evening as the sun sets on another scorcher of a day :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Does it matter whether I store a hip flask closed with the dregs still in there, or rinse it out and leave it open?

It's stainless steel and has only ever contained whiskey.

Life ain't always empty.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You won't get the Jura in ROI for €35? Unless you mean up North?

Monkey Shoulder is a new category of whisky, a "blended malt". Unlike other blends it doesn't have any grain, just malted whiskies. In this case, Balvenie, Glenfiddich and Kininvie. No age statement though. I'd say most similar to Chivas.

It was actually Scotland and Spain I was referring too, should have said

Does it matter whether I store a hip flask closed with the dregs still in there, or rinse it out and leave it open?

It's stainless steel and has only ever contained whiskey.

My hip flask is never washed! My own type of blend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I've bought/tasted all of those I think. The Laphroaig is great at that price if you like Laphroaig. Select is way nicer than the Laphroaigs they have in the duty free too. It's a bit lighter than the core range but still very smoky/iodiney, so a good one to try if you want to ease into the world of Laphroaig.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Monkey Shoulder is a new category of whisky, a "blended malt". Unlike other blends it doesn't have any grain, just malted whiskies.
    Blending single malts together is exactly new.

For th sake of balance, I'm not a fan of monkey shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

gozunda wrote: »
    Sainsbury's usually have good deals on selected spirits including whiskey

Bottle redbreast up there is about 40 pounds compared to 65 euro in the south!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Monkey Shoulder is a new category of whisky, a "blended malt". Unlike other blends it doesn't have any grain, just malted whiskies.

New in that its existed for decades, just called Vatted Malt until regulations changed about a decade ago :pac:

L1011 wrote: »
    New in that its existed for decades, just called Vatted Malt until regulations changed about a decade ago :pac:
    Also called pure malt at one stage.
    I'd be surprised if it wasn't happening as long as whiskey distilleries have been licensed. (Unlikely to happen before that for obvious reasons, aside from unintentional blending on a small scale.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Recommendations for a nice whiskey for an upcoming birthday (mine :D)? I'm thinking Redbreast 21, but something a little different could be nice for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Picked up a bottle of Nikka Coffey Grain. Anybody tried it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Lovely drop like pretty much the entire Nikka range.

Wailin wrote: »
    Recommendations for a nice whiskey for an upcoming birthday (mine :D)? I'm thinking Redbreast 21, but something a little different could be nice for a change.
    Can't go wrong with the RB21.
    I'd also be interested to try the Auchentoshen 21 personally.

My next purchase will probably be a bottle of Dalmore. If you could stretch to it, the King Alexander sounds fantastic. But I doubt the 18 year old would disappoint

Very nice whiskey.

No longer produced so make it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Mellor wrote: »

My next purchase will probably be a bottle of Dalmore. If you could stretch to it, the King Alexander sounds fantastic. But I doubt the 18 year old would disappoint

Very nice whiskey.

Once upon a time when I paid 150 euro for a bottle of Yoichi 20. And I thought that was really steep...

Glendronach 21 old parliament is my suggestion if you can get it cheap

Once upon a time when I paid 150 euro for a bottle of Yoichi 20. And I thought that was really steep...

What was the price originally? It's like $2000 now

Very nice whiskey.

I tried the Auchentoshan 21 in a sample from Master of Malt. It was nice, but very light for a 21yo. Triple distilled, so has more in common to Irish rather than Scotch.

The Dalmore King Alexander is a good option, tasted it at whiskey live and it was lovely.

Glendronach 21 old parliament is my suggestion if you can get it cheap

That's a gorgeous whisky. I have the 18yo allardice and it's one of my favourites at the moment.

Auchentoshan is a lovely whiskey.

Best man at a wedding on Saturday so just picked up a RB12 Cask Strength for myself and the lads to sup on beforehand.

Your opinion. As is mine

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

What was the price originally? It's like $2000 now

I don’t really know what the original price was I got my first bottle from Japan then I picked one up in Germany back in 2011 for around 200 which I paid because I absolutely loved that release. Then Jim Murray came along and the madness really started so that’s why you need to pay in excess of a 1000€ nowadays for a bottle. It is also discontinued bottling. One of my all time favourites...

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »

Your opinion. As is mine

I know. It's a discussion board. That's the entire point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement