Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I keep meaning to go to the Midleton distillery in Cork when im home every so often.

Does Midleton VR still come with two free tickets to the distillery or is that a thing of the passed? I bought a bottle of Barry Crockett about 18 months ago and was disappointed to see it didnt come with the tickets, mind you it was bought in Dublin airport so that might be the reason why it didnt come with tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭sceach16

Hogzy wrote: »
    I keep meaning to go to the Midleton distillery in Cork when im home every so often.

Does Midleton VR still come with two free tickets to the distillery or is that a thing of the passed? I bought a bottle of Barry Crockett about 18 months ago and was disappointed to see it didnt come with the tickets, mind you it was bought in Dublin airport so that might be the reason why it didnt come with tickets.

Up to and including 2017 old box contained voucher. 2017 and 2018--both new---do not. So it's gone .

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

sceach16 wrote: »
    Up to and including 2017 old box contained voucher. 2017 and 2018--both new---do not. So it's gone .
    Is that a ticket for the tourist distillery tour or the actual distillery tour?
    Boasting here but I did the factory tour of the actual distillery a few years back when I was doing an important project for IDL down there. It was brilliant seeing everything from the mashing to the distillation to the warehouses. Old processes controlled by new (and some old) technology.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it but had been massively hungover (we had all been out the night before) and don't think I got the most from it.

Boasting here but I did the factory tour of the actual distillery a few years back when I was doing an important project for IDL down there. It was brilliant seeing everything from the mashing to the distillation to the warehouses. Old processes controlled by new (and some old) technology.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it but had been massively hungover (we had all been out the night before) and don't think I got the most from it.

Its the tourist one but it is very good. The mini/experimental/yuppie distillery is included in it. I really enjoyed it (May 2018). It is the old premises and my missus loved the place from a photographic angle.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My dad, who doesn't drink, got to do that tour some years back. Rather annoyed I didn't get to go; but he did get a bottle of Crested 10 out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

L1011 wrote: »
    My dad, who doesn't drink, got to do that tour some years back. Rather annoyed I didn't get to go; but he did get a bottle of Crested 10 out of it.
    When I was working on that particular project, I used to get freebies from my contact there which obviously were always appreciated including Crested 10/Crested, Jameson Black Barrell, Powers Three Swallow, Powers Johns Lane and a few others).

That was a great project to work on but in fairness it was hard work and they continue to benefit a lot from what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Picked up a litre bottle of Ardbeg 10 in Faro Airport. Just counting down the time until the child and wife head off to bed so I can crack it open

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Felexicon wrote: »
    Picked up a litre bottle of Ardbeg 10 in Faro Airport. Just counting down the time until the child and wife head off to bed so I can crack it open

Don't fall asleep on the couch.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Nothing like a peaty ash tray to enjoy alone when they're all gone to bed. I had an Ardbeg Uigeadail last night and the missus recoiled when she walked into the room from the lovely pungent aroma....love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

When it comes to Scotch, amn't a big fan of heavily peated whiskies, usually more of a Speyside fan.
    But Jura Superstition just hits that balance of sweetness and smoke for me.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Wailin wrote: »
    Nothing like a peaty ash tray to enjoy alone when they're all gone to bed. I had an Ardbeg Uigeadail last night and the missus recoiled when she walked into the room from the lovely pungent aroma....love it :D

My missus tells me I stink like an ashtray. I take that as a complement..💪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

How much as a matter of interest?

I get it locally here for £47.00 (up from £43.00) from 4-5 years ago in my local Sainsbury’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Loathe as I am to recommend a "rival" bar, Revolution in Waterford has the GoT collection with a taster flight for €50

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Adyx wrote: »
    Loathe as I am to recommend a "rival" bar, Revolution in Waterford has the GoT collection with a taster flight for €50

That's a good idea!

FYI the Redbreast Dream Cask just went on sale. I got one bottle after encountering loads of issues with the website, being kicked out etc.

€388 incl of an €8 shipping cost.

UPDATE: Website says its now out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Cormo87

I was lucky enough to get two.

Website giving me issues too, had to sign in and out three times as I was being logged into different people's accounts. Very strange

Cormo87 wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to get two.

Website giving me issues too, had to sign in and out three times as I was being logged into different people's accounts. Very strange

Yeah same, I was called Jason, Meg, Sean, Brian etc, until I logged in again and it was my own name and thats when I got to buy the bottle. Regret not buying two now lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Cormo87

Yeah same, I was called Jason, Meg, Sean, Brian etc, until I logged in again and it was my own name and thats when I got to buy the bottle. Regret not buying two now lol.

Was planning to buy one but when I got in, I got a rush of blood to the head and added the second one into the cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Also managed to get one after loads of issues, given how popular it is (based on the website issues) regretting not getting a second!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Didn't manage to get one - i would have thought a 1 bottle max might have been sensible, well done to those that were successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Of course a a genuine Redbreast collector I couldn’t get one bottle. I just hate flippers so much why don’t they just limit it to one bottle?? So pissed off

paddyh117 wrote: »
    Didn't manage to get one - i would have thought a 1 bottle max might have been sensible, well done to those that were successful.

Agree with you there. Id imagine the majority of purchasers would have bought two bottles. Seems odd that when there are 900 odd bottles going to the market that you would maximise the reach of potential customers.

900 happy customers with 1 bottle is better than 450 with 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

Didn't get one either. Got caught in that terrible sign in, sign out with different name loop for half an hour and then it was all gone. Pretty disapppointed but not much you can do. Cry into a pillow tonight I guess!

I find it disgusting to see flippers looking for 900 euro for it already. Shows fans of the whiskey aren't getting the majority of these bottles. Also shows the massive demand for these premium irish releases now.

I find it disgusting to see flippers looking for 900 euro for it already. Shows fans of the whiskey aren't getting the majority of these bottles. Also shows the massive demand for these premium irish releases now.

WHAT?????? Where?:eek:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/472564593089415/ Irish whiskey buy /swop/sell

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

Facebook group - not even in hand and looking for this price! Sad thing is it will probable be taken as well eventually.

Seen some trading first DC plus retail difference which is very fair for DC2. You know people doing that are trying to do right by people.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Love the big names, the peaty scotches etc...but you'd be broke buying it. For an everyday whiskey I think Tullamore Dew is excellent taste for the price. Last one I got was €22.

I find also that if you've guests around, yer Talsikers, Bowmores, Lagavullins, Laphroigs etc are wasted on people who are not really into the unusual flavours.

The other factor is of you want to have more than one drink, I find my taste buds can't appreciate the good quality, so I might as well go back to the ordinary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I thought I was the only one having trouble logging in to the birdhouse, what a calamity of a website.

I would have only bought one if I got through but to be honest I'd be a flipper.

No way I'd be able to tell the difference between a 12 year old or a 20 year old Redbreast so if I could have doubled my money straightaway and been able to buy 6 bottles of 12 year old with the profit I'd have been all over that with haste.

The previous Dream Cask was dearer and is now worth 3-4 times what it sold for but it was 32 years old and there was fewer of them too I think.

I probably wouldn't know the difference in taste of that from the 12 year old either, it would want to taste like manna from heaven at the price it's selling for.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

sceach16 wrote: »

Feck sake, just after buying a further two bottles of whiskey after discovering this site. :o

Todays spend on whiskey is a bit high :eek:

Edit: Now 3 bottles (none of which are dream cask)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

It's a shame that very few of them will be opened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement