Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Will reiterate my belief that IDL should sell clone bottles filled with caramel water for those that just want to say they have it. There are people investing for profit but plenty of collectors who'll never sell and want the box/sealed bottle

Bought a Scapa NAS yesterday as it's the only Island scotch I haven't tried - but I now can't remember which one and the price was cheaper than anything on the normal sites so I'm slightly worried it's some awful airport release.

Someone in front of me bought one of every release of Laphroaig they had and was then convinced to buy some non-peated stuff by the saleswoman who I hope was on comission with that load!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I will be flipping one to pay for the other. Not a matter of shame. More a matter of not being able to afford a bottle like this.

Sorry for those who missed out. I missed out on the 32 and was ready this time around.

There really should be a quota of 1 and a geo lock so they all went to Irish addresses. Would save alot of angry locals. Redbreast facebook page is on fire with complaints about their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Cazale wrote: »
    It's a shame that very few of them will be opened.

Eh not sure if this is a response to me but the three bottles of whiskey I bought on the facebook group arent Dream cask. I only bought one bottle of DC myself through the redbreast site.

Just wanted to clarify that in case people thought I was hoarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I will be flipping one to pay for the other. Not a matter of shame. More a matter of not being able to afford a bottle like this.
    I imagine a lot will do that or buy obevto drik, one to invest.
    There really should be a quota of 1 and a geo lock so they all went to Irish addresses. Would save alot of angry locals.
    Don't agree with that at all tbh. Everyone has the same opportunity.

I was tempted to buy in, but decided against it. Bad timing for me is all. If I bought it i'd have been drinking it. The true value will increase slowly once the frenzy dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Hogzy wrote: »
    Eh not sure if this is a response to me but the three bottles of whiskey I bought on the facebook group arent Dream cask. I only bought one bottle of DC myself through the redbreast site.

Just wanted to clarify that in case people thought I was hoarding.

Is the DC for drinking hogzy or future selling? Just curious is all. Personally if I had managed to get one I'd be drinking it, same with the 32 year old DC.

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »
    Is the DC for drinking hogzy or future selling? Just curious is all. Personally if I had managed to get one I'd be drinking it, same with the 32 year old DC.

Adding it to the collection. Might sell it in 10-20 years if I ever needed the money but not flipping it in the normal context if thats what youre asking. Had I bought two bottles id have drank one and kept the other in the collection, hence my regret :(

EDIT: My passion for collecting trumps my passion for drinking lol

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

A ballot should be a fair way to go for IDL going forward I think because this was a joke. Not to even mention their ridiculous website. I presume they are planning this yearly DC release now. 50% of the bottles ended up with flippers with the quota of 2. I would have loved to buy one but not that much to pay the hyperinflated prices on the secondary market. At the end of the day it’s a 20yo Irish sps albeit single cask...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

A ballot should be a fair way to go for IDL going forward I think because this was a joke. Not to even mention their ridiculous website. I presume they are planning this yearly DC release now. 50% of the bottles ended up with flippers with the quota of 2. I would have loved to buy one but not that much to pay the hyperinflated prices on the secondary market. At the end of the day it’s a 20yo Irish sps albeit single cask...

A very very rare one.

All the hype and disgust and not getting one
    will drive these well over 1k I rekon.

A very very rare one.

Well the 32yr Dream Cask retailed at €500 and is fetching €2,000 on Celtic Whiskey Auctions. Madness to be paying that much so close to them being released.

Well the 32yr Dream Cask retailed at €500 and is fetching €2,000 on Celtic Whiskey Auctions. Madness to be paying that much so close to them being released.

Not even close to that, don’t know where you got that number from they are around 1250€ at open market, still high but not 2k high.

• Advertisement

A very very rare one.

1000 bottles is not that rare. All the best of luck flipping your bottle.I managed to get one from a very good friend in the meantime.

Not even close to that, don’t know where you got that number from they are around 1250€ at open market, still high but not 2k high.

Sorry it was whiskeyhammer.co.uk and not celticwhiskeyauctions, winning bid was £1,725 which is a €1,956 at todays FX rate.

See link:
    https://www.whiskyhammer.co.uk/item/14045/Midleton/Redbreast---32-Year-Old-Dream-Cask--2-glasses.html

Sorry it was whiskeyhammer.co.uk and not celticwhiskeyauctions, winning bid was £1,725 which is a €1,956 at todays FX rate.

See link:
    https://www.whiskyhammer.co.uk/item/14045/Midleton/Redbreast---32-Year-Old-Dream-Cask--2-glasses.html

I actually remember that bottle, the very first one made it to auction, the price kinda settled around the 1200-1300 mark since. Luckily I got a bottle from the birdhouse back then...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

mik_da_man wrote: »
    That's a good idea!

I didn't get it that night (already had a few drinks in me at that stage) but I tried the Oban Single Malt a few weeks ago. Not a distillery I've had before but I enjoyed it for what it was

Im after sourcing a bottle of Dingle Single Pot Still Batch 2, Red Spot and Jameson 18yr limited reserve for 300eur total.

Would I be mad not to go for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Im after sourcing a bottle of Dingle Single Pot Still Batch 2, Red Spot and Jameson 18yr limited reserve for 300eur total.

You'll find it hard to lose money on those bottles at that price unless you open them.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

At the end of the day it’s a 20yo Irish sps albeit single cask...

It's not a single cask.
    A very very rare one.
    It's not really that rare relatively speaking. As less rare than single cask bottling.
    There's a huge buzz about it, but if it becomes an annual thing. That might depreciate the secondary market.
    Primary will never go down obviously.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

That's the old J18 I guess

Drinking or collecting? either way it's good value, and worth picking up at that price.

That's the old J18 I guess

Drinking or collecting? either way it's good value, and worth picking up at that price.

Its the old bottle alright. Id say ill drink the red spot and the Jameson and leave the Dingle gather dust. I have about 4 bottles of other whiskey that I have in the cupboard so once theyre gone the Jameson will be cracked open.

Anyone not get their Dream Cask? I see quite a few people have had delivery but I havnt even had a notification that its been dispatched.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Anyone not get their Dream Cask? I see quite a few people have had delivery but I havnt even had a notification that its been dispatched.

I haven't got mine yet or a shipping notification.

At the end of the day it’s a 20yo Irish sps albeit single cask...

It's a blend with the youngest being 20yo and the eldest being 33yo they just went with the youngest on the label.

Rew wrote: »
    It's a blend with the youngest being 20yo and the eldest being 33yo they just went with the youngest on the label.
    They didn't just go with 20, they had no choice.
    And it's a blend of different casks. But it's not a blended whiskey. It's a single pot still.

The nomenclature is confusing at times.

Mellor wrote: »
    They didn't just go with 20, they had no choice.
    And it's a blend of different casks. But it's not a blended whiskey. It's a single pot still.

The nomenclature is confusing at times.

Yes all that hurts my brain :confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I missed out :(

See some mad offers going on for swaps etc, so I'm sure I'll pick one up

I missed out :(

See some mad offers going on for swaps etc, so I'm sure I'll pick one up

800-900 from what I've seen. Mine is still in limbo hoping to word on shipping today.

Got my shipping details, arriving Wednesday.

Got my shipping details, arriving Wednesday.

lol just got the text too

lol just got the text too

If you planning on keeping it the later the delivery the lower the bottle number appears to be.

• Advertisement

If you planning on keeping it the later the delivery the lower the bottle number appears to be.

As in if I delay the delivery theres a chance I could get a different bottle number?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement