Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Seems like I'm not getting the option.
    Have been unable to load the Red Breast site all day :(

me too

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hogzy wrote: »
    me too
    Don't you mean #MeToo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

They are new whiskeys - not reskins. Lag is a 9 year old. Can't remember about the other but not many have age statement from what I can recall.

They were initially released in states and then eventually over here this year.

Reviews were mixed for them - very few people felt they were worth the asking price. I guess if you are into the series it would be nice to have a few to try.

Deal with Diageo so had to be all the distilleries they own. A Bushmills version would have been good though!

Ah fair enough, i thought this was different to the US release. Not overly into the TV series, liked the books allright but wouldn't go out and spend €60 on a bottle unless it was going to be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

Seems like I'm not getting the option.
    Have been unable to load the Red Breast site all day :(

I got in earlier but you know on the day of sale it's going to be a probable sh*tshow.

It tanked completly for the press release at 7 when most people were probable trying to get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Christ, it's not out until the 27th and website has crashed already! Demand for this will be off the charts with only 924 bottles available.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I'm seeing a few ads on facebook and instagram for the Game of Thrones whiskey collection €500 for 8 bottles of scotch, usual suspects like Cardhu, Laguvalin, Talisker are in it but I don't see any age statements or what the blends are. Anyone know anything about it? I remember lots of posts on r/whiskey a few months back of Game of Thrones whiskies but they were mostly Johnny Walker from memory, is this a new thing or just only coming to here now? I'd have no interest in the full set but wouldn't mind one or two bottles if they were interesting.

It's being sold as a collector's item.
    There are a lot of sets being released, but so far they have been selling way above retail in auctions.

https://irishwhiskeyauctions.ie/IWA-Auctions/game-of-thrones-full-collection/

Only released officially here this week I think and they are flying off the shelves.

The big gain on a quick flip is likely gone, but they may go back up in a few years. Nice looking set for display too.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Local offie is selling all 9 for €560. Very tempted to buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,839 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

CosmicFool wrote: »

Buy 'um all, they'll be worth a fortune.

Especially with the extra bottle.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Anyone ever had local Chinese(not Taiwanese) whiskey? If so, any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Anyone ever had local Chinese(not Taiwanese) whiskey? If so, any recommendations?

I've tried various types of hooch there but nothing I'd describe as whiskey.

I did pick up a bottle of Midleton in Beijing Duty Free at a great price a couple of years ago so keep an eye out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Daughter got me a tour of Teelings distillery for Birthday, going this weekend, anyone done it, what should I expect..!!

not yet wrote: »
    Daughter got me a tour of Teelings distillery for Birthday, going this weekend, anyone done it, what should I expect..!!

It's okay.

No maturation warehouse in/around the distillery which was disappointing to me (insurance being the reason due to the previous big whiskey fire in Dub back in the day). Lovely to see the stills in person they are impressive.

Nice visitor centre. Whiskey tasting at the end is not really detailed. Kinda just thrown at you, not discussed at length (I did the more expensive whiskey tour for 30 euro I think).

Others might have a better impressions but I've been on better (more personable) tours.

Edit: Should say I went when they were flat out on a busy day so might have influenced the quality of the tour a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

not yet wrote: »
    It did the tour with my Da a couple of years ago. Really enjoyable why to let a few hours slip by.
    You'll get the story of the whiskey fire and history of the brand.
    The tour is good but prepare for serious heat.
    Found the tasting at the end good. If you want more info just ask. Our guide was more than happy to go in to detail for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Sipping a Balvenie 12 Double Wood in the Algarve.

Not bad, not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

Felexicon wrote: »
    Sipping a Balvenie 12 Double Wood in the Algarve.

Not bad, not bad at all.

Yea,,,Algarve is nice at this time of the year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No maturation warehouse in/around the distillery which was disappointing to me (insurance being the reason due to the previous big whiskey fire in Dub back in the day)
    Insurance isn't the reason. Bit I appreciate that's what they say the reason is.

The extra bottle being the White Walker one?

mik_da_man wrote: »
    The extra bottle being the White Walker one?

Ya the johnnie walker white walker one. I think I'm going to buy them. €560 I think it's a decent price. I did price them individually and they were around the €460. Obviously being GOT limited edition you'd expect to pay a premium for them. Some off licences are selling for €800+ which is ridiculous altogether.

Ya the johnnie walker white walker one. I think I'm going to buy them. €560 I think it's a decent price. I did price them individually and they were around the €460. Obviously being GOT limited edition you'd expect to pay a premium for them. Some off licences are selling for €800+ which is ridiculous altogether.

That is a bit mad @ 800+, but they were making that at auctions all right.
    I grabbed a set myself, but must pick up the white walker one too, it's meant to be Sh1te, but good to have it with the set I guess.

O'Brien's have the set @ 490 at the moment

Oh really? Might have a look there so instead. Thanks

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Insurance isn't the reason. Bit I appreciate that's what they say the reason is.

Care to share?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Care to share?
    Presumably it doesn't make economic sense to buy expensive city centre land just to build warehouses on it, especially when you already have warehouses that pre-date the distillery.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Presumably it doesn't make economic sense to buy expensive city centre land just to build warehouses on it, especially when you already have warehouses that pre-date the distillery.

They are using Cooley warehouses in Louth at the minute I think? They got refused planning though to build more warehouses in Louth earlier this year so not sure what's going on with them.

Just shame they can't warehouse even some of their selection in Dublin. To me the warehouse is always the most fun when at a distillery.

Just shame they can't warehouse even some of their selection in Dublin.
    Well, they do -- it's the very small glass-fronted room between the distillery floor and the tasting bar.

Well, they do -- it's the very small glass-fronted room between the distillery floor and the tasting bar.

Aye I know that, it's not the same as walking around seeing the different sections in an actual warehouse.

That's there primarily for show - no tour guide is pulling cask strength whiskey from that selection for you to have a small taste of.

no tour guide is pulling cask strength whiskey from that selection for you to have a small taste of.
    Yes I noticed when that didn't happen :(

Yes I noticed when that didn't happen :(

One of the Teeling daughters would be very upset :D

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

One swallow and all that, but.....

Any recommendations for a summer scotch?

Otherwise I'm thinking of just plumping for an ardbeg uigeadail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Arberlour A'Bunadh is a gorgeous one if you can get your hands on it.

Caol Ila 18 is another cracker too.

Can't go wrong with Ardbeg uigeadail either, though not necessarily one for the summer. Personally Id drink it all year round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Care to share?

Fire suppression systems have significantly improved since the 19th century. Flammable liquids are also much more common, petrol stations are everywhere, and much more flammable that alcohol.
    Teelings take up almistvthe entire block. The only adjacent property is liberties distillery.
    The didn't build a warehouse because there was t room in the location they built. And, even if there was the cost would have been prohibitive.

As far as the tour goes. I fount the tasting at Teelings to be one of the better ones. But the distillery itself feel devoid of character. Understandable being so young.

Bow street on the other hand, is full of character, but also feels forced and fabricated given it's not real.

Midleton is an improved version of Bow street. A bit more genuine being in the former distillery buildings.

Bushmills is probably the one that ticks the most boxes. The best one that I've been to.

All are worth the visit imo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement