Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 blind mans bluff

Teeling was the first that came into my head alright, nearly everything I think. I was thinking of Walsh's as well, but on checking, I don't think that's right. I can tell you Tipperary seems to be, but without saying it on the bottle, as the bottom of their range 'watershed' is definitely natural coloured as well as another I can't think of the name of. So I assume its a trend they maintain thoughout their range, but I cannot say for certain.

I think, as the above poster says, anything that is bottled in Ireland, for sale on both the Irish and European markets has to be labled because of the laws in Germany. Anything that does not specifically say colour has been added, can be assumed to be uncoloured, but how to establish which bottles are produced for sale in both locations is a guessing game right now. I have a bottle of Knappogue which is for sale across all markets, as it is clearly marked 'mit farbstof'. The Tipperary has been sold in Germany having been bottled in Ireland, and it does NOT say 'mit farbstoff', because it does not have to. Maybe they think its obviously naturally coloured, and therefore there is no need to mention it on the clear bottle, but they really should, as it certainly adds value in this day and age.

I find it very difficult to believe that companys like West Cork or Walsh's etc can have the financial and logistical capacity to sell their juice in different bottles for different locations. But I also assume they are have colouring added, and so I am puzzled......but that may be wrong, they may be natural. Take Tullamore for example, which is a larger company, they put 'mit farbstof' on everything because they sell everywhere and realise how impractical it is to have different labeling for different markets.

EDIT: I was full sure Teeling was, across the board........ but I am wrong. I have just checked several bottles, non of which have a colour statement, only a filtration statement, which does indeed appear to cover their entire range. Do Teeling sell their Irish bottles on the Euro markets...... I would think they do. But I also think there is no way they would leave a natural colour statement off the bottle, with the way they do their labling. So.........?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I find it very difficult to believe that companys like West Cork or Walsh's etc can have the financial and logistical capacity to sell their juice in different bottles for different locations.
    It's really trivial for a company to have different labels for different markets. Food products have to do it all the time due to different regulations.
    ...But I also think there is no way they would leave a natural colour statement off the bottle, with the way they do their labling. So.........?

Teeling's is non-chill filtered and non coloured. At least that was part of their ethos originally.
    You only have to state if the colouring is added. If it's not added, its fine to have no statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you ever do a tour of Rye River - yes I know it's beer, but it doesn't reduce the point - they have an entire storeroom for various country specific labels for export packaging. Different health warnings, ingredient requirements, bottle return notices etc mean that most food and drink items have minorly different label requirements.

Spirits always have UK and non UK labels at the very least due to the UK Duty Paid logo. Won't find a German warning on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 blind mans bluff

OK, points well made...... too many assumptions on my behalf. I have not been to the Rye River, though I know where it is and I will take a tour as you suggest, thank you.

You got me thinking that perhaps beer that is sold as craft beer, they are selling it under so many different labels because it adds to the overall value of what they are selling. It may be somewhat of a cost they are prepared to endure because it benefits the market, where as with whiskey the margins may be a lot finer, especially for small fledgling operations. Beers do not stay on the shelf in the same way that whiskey does, and products within the modern 'craft' industry rebrand themselves several times because this adds to the value and encourages repeat custom. I would have thought it a little different with whiskies.

Point taken though. I wasn't considering everything; take American bottles as well...... the whole 700 v 750ml, which of course means different labeling as well as different bottles, and you almost never see a 750ml bottle on an Irish shelf.

.........On Teeling, I still believe as has been said that the vast majority of what they put out is natural coloured as well as the stated non-filtered. But why do they not add value to their product by putting it on the label?? I think you may see them do it in the future; perhaps the consistency of a lot the liquid they bottled in the past could not be completely established for sure, therefore they choose to leave it off until they are fully in command of their own devices? Or perhaps they are just following an Irish tradition..............

It may be somewhat of a cost they are prepared to endure because it benefits the market, where as with whiskey the margins may be a lot finer, especially for small fledgling operations.
    There's hardly a cost involved. Labelling, bottling, sorting is all automated (it's quite impressive if you ever see it).

I've a bottle of RB12 here with a UK label. And my Coffey Malt has a label that mentions it was imported by a French company. I'd imagine I'd see an Australian label in the local bottle shop.

But why do they not add value to their product by putting it on the label?? I think you may see them do it in the future;
    I don't think it particularly adds any value over keeping the label simple.
    I disagree with the need to add colour. But I certainly wouldn't pay more for a uncoloured version of a favourite whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mellor wrote: »
    But I certainly wouldn't pay more for a uncoloured version of a favourite whiskey.

Plenty of twats would I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Is it only €40.... I have been ripped off on the 2 bottles I bought so. One I paid €50 for and the other was €55. Ah well, not the end of the world so.
    Oh really, I didn't know that about the distillery. Hopefully they get it set up because they know how to make a good whiskey.

It's a lovely drink as is the Dúlamán maritime gin they produce. The price varies- the higher price is the RRP but you'll get it cheaper in the shops and bars around the local area. We've paid €55 a bottle in Dublin, but got it cheaper in bars in Carrick and in SuperValu Killybegs.

Did the distillery tour recently and good news is they've sourced a location for the Silkie distillery in Ardara.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

Was having a RB21 over the weekend. Anyone get a mint note in it? I don't get it off any of the others just the 21.

Side question, has anyone tired the RB 12 CS B18 batch yet? I saw it was in the airport last week. B17 was delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭BobMc

Small Confession, bought myself a nice RB12 cask strength for Xmas.

Was a slight incident leading up to Christmas, (ie went to a gig and got leggless)

havent been able to face much drink since, going to rectify this weekend and open it,

Had confirmation couple weeks ago and hid it from the outlaws, gave them black barrell.

Looking forward to the RB12 saturday night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Wailin

Was having a RB21 over the weekend. Anyone get a mint note in it? I don't get it off any of the others just the 21.

Side question, has anyone tired the RB 12 CS B18 batch yet? I saw it was in the airport last week. B17 was delicious.

Just coming to the end of a bottle of B18 and it's very nice. Apparently B17 (if you believe Jim Murray and his whisky bible) is the best so far. I have it unopened at home so might compare the two before I finish the B18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whiskey Eire

Wailin wrote: »
    Just coming to the end of a bottle of B18 and it's very nice. Apparently B17 (if you believe Jim Murray and his whisky bible) is the best so far. I have it unopened at home so might compare the two before I finish the B18.

B17 was my first so i've no reference point. I loved it though so going to try hunt down another bottle before getting the B18 later in the year.

Is there ever a powers cask strength on the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭sceach16

B17 was my first so i've no reference point. I loved it though so going to try hunt down another bottle before getting the B18 later in the year.

Is there ever a powers cask strength on the market?

Answer is yes and no ! No in that there is no equivalent of Redbreast Cask Strength. Powers do a number of limited issue cask strength bottles but they tend to be 200 euro plus and very limited runs. Celtic whiskey/ Supervalu and the airports have had them.

On a price point Redbreast Cask Strength is a bargain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

I have no experience of Bushmills 21yo.. but my local off licence mailed saying they are doing it for €120 ..is it worth it tastewise?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yup just this weekend. Exceptional imo. Though I hadn't tried the B17 to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I have no experience of Bushmills 21yo.. but my local off licence mailed saying they are doing it for €120 ..is it worth it tastewise?

Thats a great price but are you sure its not the 16 year theyre selling?

Hogzy wrote: »
    Thats a great price but are you sure its not the 16 year theyre selling?

No, its Def the 21, I know the price is very good.. but my next purchase was going to be the Glendalough Mizuna...so kinda looking to see if the Bushmills is a superior taste experience as I have no knowledge of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

No, its Def the 21, I know the price is very good.. but my next purchase was going to be the Glendalough Mizuna...so kinda looking to see if the Bushmills is a superior taste experience as I have no knowledge of it

Which off license? :pac:

Hogzy wrote: »
    Which off license? :pac:

I've just asked if it's still available...when they reply I'll let you know...they do nationwide delivery ;)

A nice little find while doing a bit of a clear out in the attic!

I remember the missus bringing this back from a holiday about 5 years ago and at the time I didn't think much of it. No interest in scotch back then.

Things have changed a bit since! It smells very nice, sherry casks for sure.

46574616404_5000c219fd_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭sceach16

If U tell me where the Bush 21 is available for 120, I will tell U that CelticWhiskey have the Mizunara on special at 80 from 100 for the next week. :D

• Advertisement

sceach16 wrote: »
    If U tell me where the Bush 21 is available for 120, I will tell U that CelticWhiskey have the Mizunara on special at 80 from 100 for the next week. :D

Haven't gotten an answer yet... but when I do I'll let ye know.. otherwise I'll be passing by after work I'll give a shout in and ask

Things have changed a bit since! It smells very nice, sherry casks for sure.
    Yeah it's basically an ode to sherry cask. It's been on my try list for a while.
    From memory it's 100% sherry cask. Splits between 3 types.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

sceach16 wrote: »

Mizunara is 80 in O'Briens too.

jh79 wrote: »
    Mizunara is 80 in O'Briens too.

Think you just dropped seac in the Winnie!

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah it's basically an ode to sherry cask. It's been on my try list for a while.
    From memory it's 100% sherry cask. Splits between 3 types.

That's what I thought too Mellor but on the CWS website it's actually aged 12 years in ex bourbon casks. You're right about the 3 sherry types though for the last 3 years.

There's also a cheeky poke at the colour too :D

That's what I thought too Mellor but on the CWS website it's actually aged 12 years in ex bourbon casks. You're right about the 3 sherry types though for the last 3 years.

There's also a cheeky poke at the colour too :D

I think you've misunderstood. 100% was referring to the blend, not 100% of the time.
    100% of the whiskey was aged in different sherry casks (post-bourbon), before being blended together and finished in a sherry butt.

As opposed to say Bushmills 10 year which is also bourbon and sherry, but aged separately in something like 80/20 ratio. The 20% in sherry full term. Black bush has higher percent of sherry.

Redbreast is also bourbon and sherry, but again aged separately. I don't know the ratio there, if anyone else does.

Picked up the Bushmills 21yo for €120 this evening...they have 3 more in stock...and that's it...do ye want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Greg81

Picked up the Bushmills 21yo for €120 this evening...they have 3 more in stock...and that's it...do ye want?

Yep. Any link?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭FlicFlak

Any name or location, or even a link???

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭bluetractor

a quick google of "Bushmills 21 year 120.00" give you this :)
    https://nutsaboutwine.ie/shop/bushmills-21-year-old-malt-whiskey-70cl/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement