Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAP CARD - Updated Summary of Cards / Functionality Available - March 2016

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

garrettod wrote: »
    Is that instant AngryLips ?

Thanks

... on hold 15 minutes for their customer service, which closes at 3pm on a Saturday (they must think no one uses Leap cards after that time of the day so never need any help :()

Yes, the app is instant (only available on Android tho- iPhone don't allow 3rd party apps access their NFC functionality)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭garrettod

Many thanks G_R

devnull wrote: »
    This has been discussed time and time again but the credit is stored on your card - since your card does not have a connection to the leap network, the card cannot know that you have topped up until it comes into contact with a system which does have a connection.

Devnull,

I've no particular issue with having to connect the card with a terminal, it's the 24 hour delay for update after credit has been applied via online payment that's the issue.

The fact that it's been discussed "time and time again" suggests to me that other people are not happy with it either - and to be fair, it's not unreasonable to expect them to apply money they have taken from you, instantly (subject to you swiping your card on a terminal etc.)

Lets face it, if we can transfer money instantly worldwide via Paypal etc. then it's not a big ask to have a payment system that hundreds of thousands rely on daily to be efficient .... and dare I suggest, be supported by customer service (with ability to instantly update card information) 7 days a week, during the hours that public transport runs.
    ....If you have an Android phone I'd advise using the Leap Top up app which works instantly or if you are a regular user to look into the Auto Top-up option.

Thanks.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

garrettod wrote: »
    I've no particular issue with having to connect the card with a terminal, it's the 24 hour delay for update after credit has been applied via online payment that's the issue.

You don’t have to wait 24 hours, once you can collect the credit from a collection point, be it your phone or elsewhere, the credit can be collected instantly. The 24hour wait is for it to be reflected on your online account. And that’s about as fast, or faster, than many other electronic payment methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I have a question for the resident experts..

I will be flying into DUB next Wednesday. Normally I get collected by a family member but it's not an option this time. I have to get to Newcastle, Co. Dublin. I have some luggage but don't really feel like shelling out over €50 for a taxi all the way when it seems I can take either the 750 or 726 to Red Cow Luas every 30 mins and either take a 68 bus if the timing works out or order an Uber to meet me there and take me the last leg.

I have a leap card with a bit of credit on it so was hoping to be able to use it up this but the TFI site seems to suggest only the 726 option to Red Cow accepts the Leap, even though both services are operated by Dublin Coach. Dublin Coach's website says nothing about Leap at all.

Can someone confirm if Dublin Coaches accepts Leap and if so, on what routes?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Dublin Coach do not accept leap at all unless something has changed in the last week or two that they've not advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Thx devnull.

The TFI journey planner is not clear enough at all in these cases where one operator takes Leap and another doesn't and it's very misleading.

It says in the fare summary at the top:
    Leap €2.60 / Cash €8.30

Then you scroll down and it just has a '-' for the Leap fare for the DC leg and €5 for the cash fare for this leg. Then it shows the Dublin Bus leg as:
    Leap €2.60 / Cash €3.30

If an operator of a particular leg doesn't accept Leap then the Leap price in the summary should not simply ignore the fare completely in the calculation! It should obviously add the cash fare to the Leap fare as there is no Leap option available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭garrettod

AngryLips wrote: »
    You don’t have to wait 24 hours, once you can collect the credit from a collection point, be it your phone or elsewhere, the credit can be collected instantly. The 24hour wait is for it to be reflected on your online account. And that’s about as fast, or faster, than many other electronic payment methods.

Sorry to contradict you, but that's not what Leap's Customer Service told me when I phoned them ... and credit was not added to the card when tested that same day, so I'm afraid you are incorrect (at least with regards to topping up via a Luas ticket machine).

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

I use my leap for personal use and for work, for work I am reimbursed however I need to show the journeys and cost etc
    is there any simple way showing exact cost of getting this information?

all i can see is deduction and returned info but not a breakdown of what the journey costs unless it's done manually, I would have presumed I could of printed it off with a breakdown of journeys like my eflow tag etc

patrickc wrote: »
    I use my leap for personal use and for work, for work I am reimbursed however I need to show the journeys and cost etc
    is there any simple way showing exact cost of getting this information?

all i can see is deduction and returned info but not a breakdown of what the journey costs unless it's done manually, I would have presumed I could of printed it off with a breakdown of journeys like my eflow tag etc

With bus journeys yes as it's just a simple deduction, but not with luas as it deducted the max fare and refunds the difference when you tag off. If you copy and paste into excel and do a sum function on it, it will give you the total

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

G_R wrote: »
    With bus journeys yes as it's just a simple deduction, but not with luas as it deducted the max fare and refunds the difference when you tag off. If you copy and paste into excel and do a sum function on it, it will give you the total

Thanks for that

It cant be rocket science to have a cost per trip on the site

• Advertisement

Thanks for that

I would imagine no, it's not , but at the moment that functionality isn't there I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Bus Eireann's Cork fare structure recently changed and my journeys are now cheaper.

However, on multiple occasions I am still being charged the old higher fare on Leap.

I've emailed Leap and Bus Eireann twice and have had no reply. It's been over a month.

This horrendous, non existent customer service seems to be a constant issue. Bus Eireann sometimes don't even bother replying to my emails and complaints are often not taken seriously. Who can I go to with this? It's ridiculous that they can get away with this kind of thing, emails don't take months to reply to. I've already tried TFI and they didn't want to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,315 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Drop an email to info@nationaltransport.ie with a screenshot of your online account, showing the higher fares.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Thanks for that

The leapcard history is just showing each action the card did. To you it's one trip, but to the card it's 2 actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lillymcg

I was interested in getting a student leap card for it’s overall handiness but I am just quite confused as to how the zones work. I currently am travelling from Kells to Cavan on the 109x daily so from what I gather I would be buying an orange zone 7 day ticket??... do I buy this from the driver or online?
    Another question is what does it cover me on, like does purchasing for orange zone cover me in all zones on other routes, or just where I purchased it from Kells to Cavan on 109x?
    Thanks

You can buy the zonal tickets from the driver

1487149565_content_main.png

If you buy the Orange Zone (5) it will cover you on all journeys in all zones 1-5 since your boundary for the ticket is no higher zone than the zone number you have bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lillymcg

devnull wrote: »
    You can buy the zonal tickets from the driver

If you buy the Orange Zone (5) it will cover you on all journeys in all zones 1-5 since your boundary for the ticket is no higher zone than the zone number you have bought.

Thank you, so if it covers me in all zones I’m assuming I can use it on other routes such as the 190 or 111?

All the routes covered by Leap are here:
    http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=234

So if it's in that list you can use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

How do the "stages" work for BE Cork city services? I can't seem to find a map that lists what areas are 12+ stages or what a stage even is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How long does it take to get a replacement leap card sent to you?

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    How long does it take to get a replacement leap card sent to you?

About a week. If there was just money on it and no tickets then it might be easier to just request a refund of the credit on it back to your bank account then buy a new one in the shop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement