Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAP CARD - Updated Summary of Cards / Functionality Available - March 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'm visiting home (Dublin) with my missus and son (turned 4 in March) and wondering can I get a single Leap card and use the e-purse for all three of us on Bus, tram and rail in Dublin region or can I only buy companion tickets on DB?

We have access to a car so won't be buying any weekly tickets etc. just for the odd trip into town or on the DART it would be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭wench

murphaph wrote: »
    I'm visiting home (Dublin) with my missus and son (turned 4 in March) and wondering can I get a single Leap card and use the e-purse for all three of us on Bus, tram and rail in Dublin region or can I only buy companion tickets on DB?

We have access to a car so won't be buying any weekly tickets etc. just for the odd trip into town or on the DART it would be handy.

Companion tickets are bus only, as the other services are tag-on, tag-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor

murphaph wrote: »

There are a variety of family tickets you can look at.

Note that the capping on Leap Card only works for the user - companion tickets won't contribute to the cap.

There is also a Victor Leap Card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

I have a leap card. Have to go home from work tomorrow evening on the bus and back in Saturday and home Saturday evening.

If I get a bus home from Dublin tomorrow evening at 5:15, does the 24 hour ticket cover me on the way home at 5:15 on Saturday ? If the bus Saturday is late by a couple of minutes will I have to buy a ticket of the bus driver ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor wrote: »
    There is also a Victor Leap Card.

How much do you charge and what does it cover? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor

L1011 wrote: »
    How much do you charge and what does it cover? :pac:

That was mean to be "Visitor Leap Card". :p:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

piplip87 wrote: »
    I have a leap card. Have to go home from work tomorrow evening on the bus and back in Saturday and home Saturday evening.

If I get a bus home from Dublin tomorrow evening at 5:15, does the 24 hour ticket cover me on the way home at 5:15 on Saturday ? If the bus Saturday is late by a couple of minutes will I have to buy a ticket of the bus driver ?

This is a Bus Eireann 24 hour ticket I take it?

It is valid for 24 hours from the time you validate it first - if you validate your last journey just before the 24 hours are up then it is still valid for that entire journey, but it will not cover buses showing up after the 24 period is up I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Load location - Leap Top-Up App
    Top-Up Travel Credit ? 10.00
    Total ? 10.00
    Total ? 10.00
    Important Notes:
    ? Top Up Travel Credit and/or Travel Tickets purchased before 10pm is normally available for collection by 8am the following day.

Previously I've paid in app, this time I used the site for convenience. Do I now have to wait to load the card with the app? Surely not...

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭kc56

ED E wrote: »
    Previously I've paid in app, this time I used the site for convenience. Do I now have to wait to load the card with the app? Surely not...

Yes. The site has no way of contacting the card so the App needs to be used to download the top-up since that is the method selected. If you use the App for the top-up, the app can update the card immediately.

kc56 wrote: »
    Yes. The site has no way of contacting the card so the App needs to be used to download the top-up since that is the method selected. If you use the App for the top-up, the app can update the card immediately.

Thats the thing, the site has it pending collection but the app is totally unaware. The dialogue suggests the API that the app checks wont have it until tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭kc56

Thats the thing, the site has it pending collection but the app is totally unaware. The dialogue suggests the API that the app checks wont have it until tomorrow.

On-line orders with App delivery are probably bundled with the ticket machine/validators/barriers overnight updates.

kc56 wrote: »
    On-line orders with App delivery are probably bundled with the ticket machine/validators/barriers overnight updates.

Thats what I hoped couldnt be the case. F'sake. Antiquated banking mentality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why didn't you just use the app to purchase? I don't get how using the site is considered convenient in any way.

Why didn't you just use the app to purchase? I don't get how using the site is considered convenient in any way.

Primarily because my debit is stored there and I was already booking tickets etc on the desktop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You can save payment details on the app too.

You can save payment details on the app too.

Really don't trust the TII devs to not store them in plaintext tbh.

Needless scaremongering. You create a pin, and it'll only be used with any leap cards the payment details have been related to.

If I put my mother's card up to my phone, I'd have to go through the full process all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

Merchants aren't allowed accept or store card details without being compliant. Their acquiring bank will insist on an external PCI-DSS audit. One of the fairly obvious things that is checked during the audit is that card details are properly and securely encrypted and that CVVs are not stored.

TII don't store the card details at all. They outsource their card acceptance and tokenisation to Payzone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Yet again,we have one of the most positive elements of Leap Card being somewhat ignored...Busdrivers will spend the fortnight still issuing Child Cash fares to chizzzlers who apparently don't read newspapers,take notice of adverts,listen to radio,check apps...etc....The list is endless.

The Free Fare Fortnight is available to ALL Child Leap Card holders...even the 6' 4" deep voiced,bearded ones...USE it or LOSE it !

It's a bit earlier this year,but hey...FREE STUFF...No hidden catches...except that you MUST have a Child Leap Card with at least 1c Credit on it....

No Child Leap Card = Money out of your Pocket !

https://about.leapcard.ie/kids-go-free:eek:

:D:D:D:D:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

The correct link is here: https://about.leapcard.ie/kids-go-free

It is for the period 3-16 July - that's over a week away.

Plenty of time to publicise it yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

lxflyer wrote: »
    The correct link is here: https://about.leapcard.ie/kids-go-free

It is for the period 3-16 July - that's over a week away.

Plenty of time to publicise it yet!

Apologies for the outdated link.

When considering the application time for 16-18 Child Leapcards,I would suggest a week is cutting it fine,particularly as this is the third year (?) of the Free Fare Fortnight.

This is one of the COOLEST,BESTEST most AMAZING offers available to members of ANY card based scheme,and yet it remains one of the most resolutely ignored by a significant number of those who should & could be making hay on it.

I sometimes think that,the process of seeking explainations for how our economy managed to collapse so apectacularly,could well begin here... :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭danko82

Hi all,
    i use to have a leap carp connected with dublin bike, it is registered on website.
    Now for July I got annual tax saver leap card just for the luas.
    few questions:
    1) do I need to touch on the validator? It seems yes, but WHY?
    2) can I register 2 card with the same username?
    3) can I connect everything with one card? i mean dublin bike, automatically top up and tax saver all together?

Thanks

You do need to tag on every time you travel and you S hould also tag off.

Tagging on validates the ticket and tagging off provides them with statistics as to numbers travelling - that's rather important for service planning.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Apologies for the outdated link.

When considering the application time for 16-18 Child Leapcards,I would suggest a week is cutting it fine,particularly as this is the third year (?) of the Free Fare Fortnight.

This is one of the COOLEST,BESTEST most AMAZING offers available to members of ANY card based scheme,and yet it remains one of the most resolutely ignored by a significant number of those who should & could be making hay on it.

I sometimes think that,the process of seeking explainations for how our economy managed to collapse so apectacularly,could well begin here... :)

There are some advertisements about this on bus shelters now.

You do need to tag on every time you travel and you S hould also tag off.

Tagging on validates the ticket and tagging off provides them with statistics as to numbers travelling - that's rather important for service planning.

what for if I forget sometimes to tag on ?
    will I get a penalty from the inspector?

It is so ridiculous to buy an annual ticket and to be forced to tag on and off.
    It never happened in all the countries I have been in.

The card needs to tag on and off to be kept valid and receive any updates to be sent to it.

The card needs to tag on and off to be kept valid and receive any updates to be sent to it.

yeah, but I mean that is the point to tag every single day multiple times.

danko82 wrote: »
    what for if I forget sometimes to tag on ?
    will I get a penalty from the inspector?

It is so ridiculous to buy an annual ticket and to be forced to tag on and off.
    It never happened in all the countries I have been in.

Is it really that hard to do - would you board a bus without tagging on?

It really should become second nature to you.

And how else do you expect them to build up travel statistics to plan service levels?

Is it really that hard to do - would you board a bus without tagging on?

It really should become second nature to you.

And how else do you expect them to build up travel statistics to plan service levels?

if I buy an annual ticket it means I will use it.

they can use other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭kline64

Hi my daughter has a child leap card she's only just gone 16 would she get away with the child card just for the 2 free wks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement