Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAP CARD - Updated Summary of Cards / Functionality Available - March 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,642 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

danko82 wrote: »
    if I buy an annual ticket it means I will use it.

they can use other way.

How exactly?

Getting accurate travel statistics as in individual journeys made is rather important to transport planning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

kline64 wrote: »
    Hi my daughter has a child leap card she's only just gone 16 would she get away with the child card just for the 2 free wks

She needs to get the 16-18 card.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

email wrote:
    Údarás Náisiúnta Iompair, National Transport Authority

‘Kids go Free’ with Child Leap Card from Monday 3rd July
    Thursday 29th June 2017

It’s ‘Kids go Free’ on all public transport services covered by the Leap Card from Monday 3rd July to Sunday 16th July.
    The announcement was made today by Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Minister Shane Ross and Anne Graham, CEO of the National Transport Authority.
    Free travel will automatically apply to any holder of a Child Leap Card when the card is presented.

The promotion covers the vast majority of public transport journeys in the state:

All Dublin Bus scheduled services (excluding Airlink)
    All Luas services
    All DART services
    All Commuter Rail services in Dublin’s “Short Hop Zone”
    Bus Éireann services where Leap Card Validators are available. This includes:
    * Bus Éireann services in Dublin and surrounding counties (Excluding Expressway)
    * Bus Éireann Services in Cork city, Limerick city, Galway city, and Waterford city
    Ashbourne Connect
    Minister Ross said: “This is a fantastic initiative from the National Transport Authority which I hope will encourage lots of families to avail of public transport this summer.

“A festival like the Irish Youth Dance Festival whose performers have kindly joined us today, is a great example of an event that, thanks to this promotion, is now even more accessible to young people and families who choose to use public transport.

"I’m sure many of its participants and its audience members will avail of this great deal, and if that means attracting more young people and more families into the city centre to enjoy the great range of cultural, artistic and heritage attractions that we have, then all the better."

Anne Graham, CEO of the National Transport Authority said: “Of course, this promotion doesn’t just apply to Dublin. The historic cities of Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford are also included.

“At a time when a lot of people still find themselves under financial pressure, we want to do everything we can to make it easier for families to get out and enjoy all there is on offer throughout the network of public transport services covered by Leap.

“One way we can do this is by making sure that the cost of transport for families is not prohibitive and our Kids Go Free promotion does precisely that.

“It also gives that extra bit of freedom to the teenagers who can now meet up with their friends in town without breaking the bank and just as important, gets them into the habit of using public transport.”

This offer is valid for Child Leap Card 4-15 and Child Leap Card 16-18, (which is valid up to the holder’s 19th birthday), as long as the card has at least 1 cent credit.
    If you don’t have a Child Leap Card, a limited number of free 4-15 Child Leap Cards are now available at the following locations:

Dublin Bus Head Office, 59 O’Connell Street, Dublin 1
    Connolly, Heuston and Pearse Train Stations
    Bus Station, Parnell Place, Cork
    Bus Station, Ceannt Station, Eyre Square, Galway
    Bus Station, Parnell St, Limerick
    Bus Station, The Quay, Waterford
    For more info about the offer here

This free travel promotion will encourage families, children and teens to use public transport for their leisure activities in the school holidays, and to get out and about and enjoy more of what Ireland has to offer. It also highlights the cheaper fares which are available to Child Leap Card holders, and serves as a reminder for families to get their Leap Cards, and to get used to using them, in plenty of time before the new school year begins.

About Irish Youth Dance Festival

IYDF is a Festival of performances and workshops of dance by young performers, with an exciting programme of events in Ark Theatre, Temple Bar; Pavilion Theatre, Dun Laoghaire; and Liberty Park, Foley St, Dublin 1, during the month of July.

Most of the participants and many of their audience members are under the age of 18, and so stand to benefit from the promotion.

The festival is organised by Dublin Youth Dance Company and is in its 17th year, and has been hugely successful.
    Visit their website: Dublin Youth Dance Company

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

Does anyone know if this promotion includes the Waterford to Dublin train ?

Thewife wrote: »

No it doesn't.

It's only on the local bus networks and Dublin & Cork commuter services where LEAP is accepted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Does anyone have a reason why a student leap card wouldn't top up with a rambler ticket? My card will top up in shops for a cash amount but I can't buy tickets?

It's not expired until Dec 2017 and I have it less than 12 months...

Thewife wrote: »
    If you mean the ‘Kids go Free’ promotion, no it wouldn't, as a Leap Card is only valid on urban / suburban services.
    OttoPilot wrote: »
    Does anyone have a reason why a student leap card wouldn't top up with a rambler ticket? My card will top up in shops for a cash amount but I can't buy tickets?
    Did you try to put an adult ticket on a student Leap Card?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭danko82

hi,
    i found a leap card that it doesn't work..
    what can I do with it?
    get a refund of 5 euro? throw away?

Return it to Leap Card so they can reunite it with the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭danko82

Victor wrote: »
    Return it to Leap Card so they can reunite it with the owner.

most of the cards are without owner...you should know it..

it is not a card with the photo or whatever..just anonimous card

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They can be registered. If it doesn't work, chances are it's been blocked already.

No need to send it to'em. You can call them and give'em the number on the card. They can follow up with whoever owns it, if registered.

danko82 wrote: »
    most of the cards are without owner...you should know it..

it is not a card with the photo or whatever..just anonimous card

There may not be a photo ID on it, but that does not stop the owner having registered it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Does a 'Galway' Leap card work on Luas services in the big shmoke?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Does a 'Galway' Leap card work on Luas services in the big shmoke?

There is not such thing as a Galway Leap Card.

A leap card is a leap card and can be used everywhere a leap card is accepted, not just restricted to the city it was purchased in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

devnull wrote: »
    There is not such thing as a Galway Leap Card.

A leap card is a leap card and can be used everywhere a leap card is accepted, not just restricted to the city it was purchased in.

Hence the '', just thought id recalled hearing something about not being able to use them on Luas but couldnt find anything anywhere saying it. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have a Leap card, registered to my name.

Is it possible to add a 1-day family ticket for Dublin city to this Leap card?

To cover bus, tram and DART?

I have looked online and it seems impossible?

Geuze wrote: »
    I have a Leap card, registered to my name.

Is it possible to add a 1-day family ticket for Dublin city to this Leap card?

To cover bus, tram and DART?

I have looked online and it seems impossible?

It should be possible. You may have to buy it a a Dublin Bus agent.

There isn't one. The Rambler is only for Dublin Bus.

Yes, okay, I thought so.

There was one last year, for the 2016 Centenary.

Okay, any alternatives?

Travel plans
    • Arrive into Dublin Connolly by train, 2 adults, 2 children [3 and 6]
    • some time later, go to Blackrock
    • might use bus in Blackrock
    • return to city centre
    • might use tram in city centre

You might be wanting to see if those journeys will come up to the fare cap rate. Although each will need their own Leap Card. Except for the 3 year old. They can travel free.

The only operator you can purchase additional tickets for a group through one Leap Card is with Dublin Bus. But these "Companions" do not count towards the cap, nor apply one themselves. The Cap is only for the cardholder.

https://about.leapcard.ie/fare-capping/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Yes, okay, I thought so.

There was one last year, for the 2016 Centenary.

Okay, any alternatives?

Travel plans
    • Arrive into Dublin Connolly by train, 2 adults, 2 children [3 and 6]
    • some time later, go to Blackrock
    • might use bus in Blackrock
    • return to city centre
    • might use tram in city centre

Would you not use the Dart to go to Balckrock. Bus service there is very hit and miss espeically on weekends.

I meant DART to Blackrock, and then possibly a bus in Blackrock.

Another query, this time about Child Leap cards.

In Connolly, the IE machines would only sell the adult version, so I queued up at the IE ticket desk.

They don't sell them. Why not?

They sent me to the small Eason shop.

They do sell them.

The shop staff member said the machines don't sell any cards, only do top-ups.

I pointed out to him that a few mins earlier I had bought an adult Leap card from a machine

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

May well be to stop adults buying child cards to save money.

Another query, this time about Child Leap cards.

In Connolly, the IE machines would only sell the adult version, so I queued up at the IE ticket desk.

They don't sell them. Why not?

They sent me to the small Eason shop.

They do sell them.

I pointed out to him that a few mins earlier I had bought an adult Leap card from a machine

The cards need to be activated at point of sale. They wanted to focus the required devices in Payzone Agents.

devnull wrote: »
    May well be to stop adults buying child cards to save money.

Yes, I guessed this about the IE machines.

But at the IE ticket desk, with the child beside me, I then thought it would be possible.

But no.

And yet, 40m away, across the hall, I could buy it.

Note that the Eason charged 50c card fee, and also earned commission.

You'd think that it would be better than IE earn the commission?

The cards need to be activated at point of sale. They wanted to focus the required devices in Payzone Agents.

Does this mean that if I arrive into a railway station, e.g. Blackrock, and wish to buy a Leap card, then I can't?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Does this mean that if I arrive into a railway station, e.g. Blackrock, and wish to buy a Leap card, then I can't?

You can buy an adult card from a TVM.

Generally (but not always) if a station has a shop, it will sell child ones. Blackrock has a shop, but I've no idea if it sells child ones.

This is what the Leap card website says:

Where to buy

You can buy your Leap Card using one of the following options:

The quickest way to buy an adult or child Leap Card 4 – 15 is over the counter in one of over 650 outlets in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford. Click here to find your nearest outlet. Alternatively, you can buy online or at selected DART ticket machines in Dublin.

Child Leap Card 16 – 18 needs to be personalised with your photo. You can apply online here.

Student Leap Cards need to be personalised. Visit www.studentleapcard.ie for full details on how to get yours.

• Advertisement

In fairness, shop staff might not know what exact products that other businesses sell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement