Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAP CARD - Updated Summary of Cards / Functionality Available - March 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Seems alot of hassle to top up when you don't live in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 78,314 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Gael23 wrote: »
    Seems alot of hassle to top up when you don't live in Dublin
    Outside Dublin, you can (a) auto-top-up (b) mobile top-up (c) top-up with Payzone: http://www.payzone.ie/paywithpayzone.jsp (d) top-up at certain Irish Rail stations and ticket machines and (e) top-up online and collect at Payzone / Irish Rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

I was at a small shop earlier in bray, charged a five euro surcharge to buy a leapcard. Is this right? Paid fifteen, five euro surcharge, five euro deposit, and got five euro credit...

adam240610 wrote: »
    I was at a small shop earlier in bray, charged a five euro surcharge to buy a leapcard. Is this right? Paid fifteen, five euro surcharge, five euro deposit, and got five euro credit...
    No, that's wrong. It should be five euro (useable, refundable) deposit and five euro credit. Complain to the shop: https://about.leapcard.ie/about/card-ticket-types If you don't get a refund, complain to Leap Card: https://about.leapcard.ie/contact If you get nowhere, talk to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

Victor wrote: »
    No, that's wrong. It should be five euro (useable, refundable) deposit and five euro credit. Complain to the shop: https://about.leapcard.ie/about/card-ticket-types If you don't get a refund, complain to Leap Card: https://about.leapcard.ie/contact If you get nowhere, talk to us.

The shop said they don't get commission so they charge five euro. Which sounds like a load of bull... Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The shop said they don't get commission so they charge five euro. Which sounds like a load of bull... Thanks

So they think they deserve FIVE EURO commission?

Even if there was an argument that they deserve commission (which I'm not fully convinced by) why so much?

Do you have a reciept? Did they ring it up as €15 on the till? What did you pay with?

They would certainly get a commission on the €5 top-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Leapcard.ie is undergoing essential maintenance from Saturday 30th September until Tuesday 3rd October.

Leap Cards will function as normal but you will be unable to buy, top-up, register or check your account using the website.

If you need to top-up over this maintenance period, all other options will be available. So you can top-up via the Leap Top-up App, through Leap Card Agents and at Luas and Irish Rail Ticket Vending Machines.

The full website should be back up and running on Tuesday 3rd October in the afternoon.

We apologise in advance for any inconvenience this maintenance may cause.

Follow us on Twitter at @LeapCard for updates during this time.

Yours sincerely,
    Leap Card Customer Care

Three day maintenance window is pretty poor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ED E wrote: »
    Three day maintenance window is pretty poor.

Depends on what they are doing surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Three days mustn't have been enough, just went to the site and got this:
    Our website is temporarily undergoing maintenance. You will be unable to access your account during this period. We apologise for the inconvenience. Please try again later.
    It was working earlier so I assume it's nothing major.
    Edit: and it's back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

The system baffles me sometimes - I loaded 10 euro to my card a few weeks ago, and then later in the day boarded a bus which I had selected as my load location. For some reason it didn't load the money, and after checking today it's still "awaiting collection". It's unlikely I'll have the use the bus until after the collect by date.

Anyone know what happens if you don't collect a top up by the collect by date?

Elessar wrote: »
    The system baffles me sometimes - I loaded 10 euro to my card a few weeks ago, and then later in the day boarded a bus which I had selected as my load location. For some reason it didn't load the money, and after checking today it's still "awaiting collection". It's unlikely I'll have the use the bus until after the collect by date.

What operator was the bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

devnull wrote: »
    What operator was the bus?

Swords Express.

My balance is negative now also, does this mean I can't actually use the bus even though i have a top up waiting?

The system baffles me sometimes - I loaded 10 euro to my card a few weeks ago, and then later in the day boarded a bus which I had selected as my load location.
    Are you allowed do same-day collection on Swords Express?
    My balance is negative now also, does this mean I can't actually use the bus even though i have a top up waiting?

You may have to swipe the card twice when boarding the bus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You should get a refund, but it may take a few days to go through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when requesting a replacement card, is it normal that it wants to send out a personalised one with my photo?
    the one i have been using *is* personalised (and is faulty); had been used as a monthly ticket which i let lapse a year or two ago, was just topping it up in a PAYG fashion; is this why the replacement has to be personalised?

They can only replace like for like. You can always just buy a new card and get the old one refunded, if you don't plan on going taxsaver again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers, i usually try to avoid handing out bank details where possible. may just go personalised again, but the problem there is the card can only be used by me i guess.

cheers, i usually try to avoid handing out bank details where possible. may just go personalised again, but the problem there is the card can only be used by me i guess.
    I have three cards - useful for visitors, etc.

If travelling with other people by bus (not rail), you can buy more than one cash fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Does anyone know if it is possible to load a second 30-day rambler ticket onto my leap card before the journeys from my last 30-day ticket has been fully used?

• Advertisement

Yes, but they are 2 separate tickets. they don't add the days between both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Can anyone clarify something, apparently when changing from one line to another you have to tag on and off on both lines, which seems absolutely ridiculous, for example going from Dundrum to Heuston would mean tag on in Dundrum, tag off in Stephens Green, tag on in Abbey street and tag off in Heuston....

This is going to become even more ridiculous with the new cross city line, they just announced a leap off peak fare of 1 euro for travel between Parnell/Connolly/Stephens Green/Jervis - I am not even sure how this makes sense, surely if I got on in Stephens Green (and tagged on) and got off at the GPO (and tagged off) and then got on at Abbey Street (tagged on) and got off at Connolly (tagged off) wouldn't that deduct from me 1 euro for each of the two journeys?

I'm struggling to understand how tagging off and on in the middle part (the connection) of the journey makes any sense...?

If you do the tag off / tag on between crossing the lines it recognises it as one journey and will charge you for one over all. If you don't, it'll charge you for 2 tag ons.

This is more of a luas thing btw, their smart card should have behaved in the same manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Anyone been in this position?

Only the older pre 2008 buses/coaches and private operators are where you may have the potential to travel without charge.

http://www.thejournal.ie/leap-cards-bus-eireann-3703056-Nov2017/

Another extremely poorly researched article by The Journal to go alongside it's Eastern services one last week.

Bus Eireann have had the TGX150 machines for a good while now and the roll-out has been going on for quite a few years, it is just been so slow and pedestrian and there have been some cases when brand new buses have got the old machine.

The TGX150 machine they are upgrading to is highly outdated, it's over 15 years old already and has shown itself as being completely incapable to serve the needs of Dublin Bus because of being based on 20 year old technology and a paltry 1MB of RAM which is useless.

The NTA might well operate the Leap Card scheme, but to claim that they have got €576m in revenue - they wish! All that revenue is cycled back to the operators..

Deedsie wrote: »
    Will the expressway coaches be using leap cards eventually?

As a commercial service there is no obligation for them to do so, just the same as any other commercial operator, it would be a commercial decision for Expressway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

I can't believe this .. Leap don't add credit instantly online !

Whatever about needing to go to a terminal to refresh the balance on your card, their useless website takes 24 hours to update credit before it can be collected, despite them taking your money instantly via credit card.

Talk about an inefficient and unhelpful system !

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Download the leap app and add the credit through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭garrettod

Is that instant AngryLips ?

Thanks

... on hold 15 minutes for their customer service, which closes at 3pm on a Saturday (they must think no one uses Leap cards after that time of the day so never need any help :()

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

This has been discussed time and time again but the credit is stored on your card - since your card does not have a connection to the leap network, the card cannot know that you have topped up until it comes into contact with a system which does have a connection.

The reason that it takes 24 hours is that the updates have to be pushed to all of the validators and the various collection points overnight and they are processed in batch - I agree that this aspect could be improved however but the need for collection would still be there even if this aspect was changed.

If you have an Android phone I'd advise using the Leap Top up app which works instantly or if you are a regular user to look into the Auto Top-up option.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement