Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Finally rang the gp this morning and they squeezed me in this afternoon. There's a new doctor, he's brilliant, really listened and understood, increased one of my meds and will see me again in a few weeks to see how I'm getting on. He'd done 6 months at the public mental health clinic I attend, and he's very familiar with the failings within that system. Still feel rubbish, but at least it's a move in the right direction.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Well done!. Huge step to take, i'm glad the doc was receptive and understanding

I'm super lucky with my gp, and especially glad of them at times like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

I am so miserable. All I want is to be alone while also wanting someone to comfort me, vicious circle. Not been this low now for over a year. Life is a load of bollocks really. Not looking for any advice, just want to tell someone in some form.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Home from work, hopeless and can't sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Not sure if this was posted before, anyway it's worth posting again .... I think I've done this 3 times in the past hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

part and parcel of my own disorder unfortunately, id like to think im getting better with it

God, I'm in a mental panic today. Just a few things building up to remind me of my problems and trigger me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

If you can, write them down on paper. It can help enormously to take away their power.

Increased meds have improved my overall mood, though still not quite right in myself, but it'll take time, have been here many times before.

• Advertisement

Glad to hear you've had some respite, well done, it's bloody hard..

As for me, things not been great. My partner and i had a row and neither one of copes well at all. She had very valid points so I've got some thinking to do.. On a twelve hour shift. In my small office..

I think this heat is genuinely affecting people's mental health. My own included. Barely able to function, sleep gone to crap.

Anything that messes with sleep does upset everything else alright

Yep, bad irregular sleep = hell the next day. Got to bed late last night and suffering now. It's like full on anxiety hangover. Can't think at all and no energy. And crankyness up to 11.

Valid points good! An awful lot of bullshit, lies and fake ness everywhere. It's good to have someone to clear the air.

My partner always hitting me with the truth. I'm just too worn down and exhausted to deal with it. Could do with 2 years to take a career break, try something else and sort my **** out.

Odd to say, but sometimes you need someone to hit with the hard truths. Brutal as that may be. Sometimes, fighting against those truths, or the 'nerves' they strike can sort of show you what you really care about, versus what you think you do.

That said, if something is hitting you 'too' hard, maybe you do need some respite. Even a walk can help clear the mind. We all have different thresholds and our battery for each day can only hold so much energy.

As for me, today I was off-kilter. I took a tablet yesterday, for a headache-one of those soluble ones that you dissolve in water. Well, those soluble ones, they often disagree with me (ever since secondary school, they just started to disagree with me). I should have just grabbed an easy to swallow pill, but my headache made me desperate (the heat and sweating so much brought this headache on). Today I paid for it. Stomach was sore all day. Had to take something else to alleviate it, and was just in a rotten mood all day.

Ah valid points, i mean it helped me regain some perspective but the fight or flight response was just exhausting to wrestle.

@RabbleRouser2k sorry to hear you were unwell, hopefully you're not following with insomnia tonight?

Thanks. It's a temporary thing. My stomach has always been my Achilles heel. Sensitive to certain things, fine and dandy with others. It's feeling better. Anything with Peppermint helps.

As for insomnia-not really. It's the heat. And some stuff needs to be done tonight. My internet's been acting up in this weather, meaning some things I needed to get done I couldn't do until about now.

Ah, good, there are thunder warnings for tomorrow so you might indeed have to get stuff done while you have the chance

Should not have said "always" above. Partner very kind, and gives me the truth only when I'm being particularly unreasonable. Important to make note and then tackle your issues later when you have the energy to face them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Hi All,

Well I took a huge step and got myself a new full time job.

I start in 2 weeks time so that should at least get me out of the house more and keep my mind occupied.

Today I had to travel to the new job for a quick induction, It was the furthest I've travelled in nearly a year. The funny thing is the anxiety of it all is only hitting me now. I don't respond well to change though.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Best of luck in the new job. I think everyone gets nervous when they start somewhere new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Nice to see you mate, long time. Hope all is well with you

I'd been reading this guy's posts on and off for years, but dropped away for years too.

He writes very clearly and simply about things that cause and help with anxiety and depression.

And he never comes across as too preachy.

Check out the archives section to get to past posts.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

Last 2 or 3 days have started to feel... normal is the wrong word, maybe back to baseline describes it better. Managed to get out and be what passes for social for me. And had a call today about a potential part time job (well a ce scheme placement) - if the call had been a week ago or more, I'd have turned it down immediately. Have a week to think about it, it's a specific role that's being created for me, so it's nice knowing that I wasn't useless at it (had 2 stints in a similar position a few years ago). Not much thinking needed though, times suit me, it's only a few minutes walk, and I need some structure to my day.

Glad you've managed to find a neutral sort of baseline, that's a tough haul, long main it continue

Thanks @Gremlinertia now if I can just stop overthinking so many other things that I'd like sorted out. Sigh.

Oh boy do i hear that, i'm attempting compassion based therapy and between the super critical voice in my mind and it's tendency to wander and ruminate i never get a bit of peace.

• Advertisement

Ain't it funny how compassion for other people comes so easy to many of us, yet compassion for ourselves is in scant supply?

Advertisement