Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's not the seasons or different light that affects me.

Just all my problems. I wish I could escape from them.

I've noticed repetitive noises really getting to me at the moment. Dogs continually barking. Loud Traffic noises. Certain sounds just grate on my nerves.

Peace and quiet would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Seems to be that we get heightened awareness ( wrong word but cannot find the right one) of sound. I have in the past resorted to ear plugs to get me through a bad patch. But out here ( offshore island with tiny population) it is really quiet - until the gales start.. The wax ear plugs worked best for me.

Island life sound lovely. Maybe bleak in the Winter. But you've got so many other advantages to compensate.

Yes, I use foam earplugs for sleep. Don't want to use them all the time.

Did a bit of googling and one can have hypersensitivity to sound from anxiety or trauma.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I am very sensitive to noise to a point where I can't concentrate in work when other's are talking around me or if I'm even visiting my mam and the tv is on in the background I get so agitated.

Bleak is good. Clean if you know what I mean. Simple; uncomplicated. I lived on an island a decade before I came to Ireland and was restless until I got back to this life. Not been off island for several years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I got an S.A.D lamp because I often find when the Autumn/ winter months come in, I feel my energy being sapped. Sleep longer than needed and so on. They can help. You do sorta feel a tad better. They have a time out feature in some of them, but you may need longer exposure than needed.

They're really cheap now, I think 20 euro for my one on amazon.

I tried one but the M.E light sensitivity zapped that idea! I was sitting there with my eyes closed..lol.. I think awareness is the real key. Compensating in whatever way you can.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Have psychologist for the first time in a good few weeks later today. It's badly needed, vicious mood cycling recently

Low mood and the wild wet weather adds an expressive dimension. But the day is mine. Just the fuel to get in.. eejit that I am not doing it yesterday.. old age forgetfulness...

Best of luck with it Grem. Have you noticed a pattern that 'might' have triggered the mood cycle? Like events, the weather, or just anything in general?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Work stress and annual leave simultaneously and a few weeks without psychologist I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭apache

What's the difference between a psychologist and a therapist? Psychologists are more expensive so they must be better right?

Nah, i mean more qualified but in various therapies, for me i waited close to ten years for talk therapy from hse as i couldn't begin to afford someone of that qualification, in the interim though i did meet a therapist and a psychologist who were helpful temporarily but expensive, i do think it's such a personal relationship that once the therapist/psychologist has a proper rapport it can be helpful.

I'm genuinely interested in the difference because I just don't know.

To be fair i'm no expert, now there are links in one of the stickie threads at the top of the forum page that may help

See here

The therapist - counsellor - psychologist - psychiatrist information thats availble is patchy but a good start point is https://www.iacp.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

I think the main difference is level of qualification. From personal experience, therapists are trained in less techniques, sometimes just one or two of the most effective, are cheaper, more widely available, and can be less trained about complex mental health conditions, whereas psychologists have to do a degree and a masters, cover much more complex techniques, can be super expensive, but can be better qualified to treat certain mental health conditions.

IMO a decent therapist can be better than a bad psychologist, it can sometimes depends on whether there's trust with them.

Took a neighbors dog for a long walk this morning along a quiet wooded road before work. It helped enormously today with my mood.

Hadn't taken the dog in a while as it had become a chore. But I'd forgotten the benefits. You do need a quiet relaxed dog though otherwise it'll be more stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Evening dread, has this ever happened to anyone?

Yep. Had it bad the last 2 evenings with having to be up earlier than usual, it's like an inner skin crawling can't relax on edge kind of feeling for me

Dread of the evening or dread in the evening? I definitely have had dread happen at all sorts of different times, then again we all have our own experoence too.

• Advertisement

That's a good synopsis. I agree a good therapist is worth their weight in gold.

I am sorry to hear you are going through this nothing :( ...thanks for sharing your experience.

In the evenings this past week. can't seem to identify any specific reasons for it. I am sorry you eperience dread grem, it's not a pleasant feeling. :(

Been experiencing weird, erratic sleep patterns this last week+ change, possibly the whole of September. Had a birthday of a loved one that I gave gift for, but didn't see until 12.30, (30 minutes past midnight)... and it's been a weird 7 or 8 days since. Its bothered me. I feel guilty for not being there, but I've also been weirded out that I've been experiencing Long Covid... because I've been experiencing weird fatigue. Just 'randomly drained' at strange moments. Can't plan anything, because my energy can desert me.

And this isn't a recent thing, it's been happening often. I was meant to be going somewhere tomorrow, I had to tell them that I just couldn't. I woke up early, feeling 'off' (always a sign something might happen) and managed to give myself a panic attack. Usually I don't get those until the evenings or late at night. Strange to get one when I got out of bed. It threw me out of whack, like I was kind of speaking foolishly for the rest of the day, things like 'Dish the washes', instead of saying 'wash the dishes'. Odd sweats, just on edge.

Had to just chill out-watch TV. Do stuff to distract me. Haven't had a counselling session for a few weeks, which might be playing in to things.

Can't turn my bloody mind off after a tough day, angry, frustrated, upset. Trying to work through it by writing it down. Really missing the regular support of counselling. Seeing the psychiatrist on Wednesday, need to give them another push about getting someone in place for the 3 to 6 month gaps between appointments with them. Too wound up to sleep. No fecking chocolate, so can't even eat away these feelings temporarily. 🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Stressing out about a medical issue. Doctor has told me what it is but I'm convinced its something more serious and am analysing what I said to her the other day and thinking I should go back and explain it differently so she'll tell me what I 'want' to hear.

Is anyone else else feeling completely hopeless because of what's going on in Ukraine? I've been struggling to 'be' myself just because I'm worried about how fucked the world is. Everything seems pointless. I'm not getting anything out of my usual hobbies, can't concentrate, just slip into constant worst case scenario thoughts and screaming 'what's the point?' inside my brain.

Sleep's gone to ****, too. Roll over to go to sleep and my anxiety springs forth and takes over. I anxiety myself to sleep and wake up three or four hours later feeling rough as **** and just have to get on with my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Cant remember when I last slept right. Therapist says to journal but I don't even know where to start. And yes the war in Ukraine along with the cost of living is very tough to contend with

You inspired me to get mine out but same issue that the M.E renders me unable for bright light. I will try again

Can you try to cut right down on watching the news? I have no TV and just check online once or twice a day. Watching more and more does not help the situation there. Just extends the conflict to you..

• Advertisement

I barely made it to my 3 pm ( will not crash for the night before that) deadline y'day, and the night gale and deluge appalling.... Ear plugs did help and slept like the dead. Thankfully no real obligations now apart from getting my supervalu shopping list away... Just drained all the time and that drags the mind down..

I admire totally the way folk here manage to keep hold of so many strands but then at four score years.... Only strands here are my knitting..and feeding the cats..

Advertisement