Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

thank you, unfortunately i dont want to share much online for the moment, but it maybe needed soon for someone i know, im not related to them, im just trying to figure out their options, theyre stumped, as i am

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The hse website has sections about 'involuntary admission' which might be of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

My anxiety is killing me today. Like a bad hangover.

This is an absolutely beautiful poem, and just gets more and more relevant and powerful.

Energy been sapped the last few days. It's been the 2 month anniversary of everything pretty much going to hell in a handbasket.

Can't really discuss it with close family, because it's hitting them too. And I understand it. Genuinely do. Some have had a double whammy of death.

Last 7 days, I spent two in bed. Just....couldn't see anyone. A really odd feeling, but just got up to use the bathroom, and found myself needing to go back to bed. I don't like those 'long stays' in bed. Genuinely don't. It messes up my energy and rhythms. I feel 'on edge' the following day, and then it takes another day or two to feel somewhat in the same rhythm.

It's still raw.

• Advertisement

If my sleep gets affected then my anxiety ramps up. Coffee, alcohol, late nights, internet, lack of exercise all do this. Also, unresolved problems hit sleep quality hard.

I can understand why people choose to become monks !

my own sleep is starting to become very broken, its very difficult to function well without it....

Wrecked tired today. Can't focus on anything. The house is in a heap and a ton of things to do, fix in it. On a very short fuse.

Got out of the house and got a coffee and a GoldenCrisp. 😁 Feel a bit more alive now. Have some tax crap to do. Going to do it tonight and get it out of the way and not have it hanging over me anymore!

• Advertisement

Yes, lovely, but especially nice when you haven't had one in ages.

There's an interesting article here about Michael Phelps, he Olympian who won 28 Olympic medals in a professional swimming career, before his retirement in 2016.

He suffers from depression and anxiety, some days he may not be able to get out of bed. It's a really interesting, and somewhat insightful. Like, this guy essentially has had 'it all'... yet still gets troubled by mental anguish.

Thought it might be of interest to people in this thread.

https://www.eonline.com/news/1329860/michael-phelps-credits-wife-nicole-johnson-with-helping-him-through-anxiety-and-depression-struggles

Just feel overwhelmed at weekends. Work is easy in comparison. Go in, do your job, go home. Home and weekend is just problems after problems and trying to get **** done.

In bits today, like a hangover. Have a family religious event coming up on Saturday and absolutely dreading it.

That's on top of all the other stuff.

fcuk i hate those type of events, especially when im not doing well.

sadly a friend is doing very badly at the moment, they refused to be taken into care during the week, but at least theyve accepted out patient help, hopefully this is a major turning point in their life, they really need it, a lifetime of pain

Life can be so hard for people. I hope they get some peace.

i hope so to, it has been extremely upsetting to watch them and their close loved ones suffer, an incredible feeling of helplessness, but it wont be an easy journey, or quick

Oof, friday the 13th strikes again. My mum went into hospital for a minor procedure on her eye, and then the hospital say she has an irregular heartbeat, they can't do the procedure, and she has to stay overnight (at least one night, anyways). She is ticked off over it. (She had a procedure on her other eye, no problem, only 2 months ago.) Hospital said her heart rate was back to normal before she was left in the hospital, but they've given her medication to see if that helps.

It's odd-she went to the doctor two weeks ago for tests prior to this, and it all seemed fine (Just to make sure there were no underlying issues). She sometimes gets this odd heartbeat, and it only really springs up when she's been fussy and getting into a conniption if she has to make an appointment at a scheduled time. And Sure enough, she had to make this appointment at a certain time. Thinking that the stress of making the appointment on time, as well as making sure she had the correct stuff ready maybe triggered it. 

She's had this happen before (before the whole Covid lockdown situation), but the doctor's called her back for another round of tests two or three weeks later. It was all fine. Similar situation, got herself stressed about making the time of her appointment (she had the wrong time in her head, she was actually early rather than late to the appointment. But when they ran tests, she was stressing out-so they spotted something wrong).

Anyways, needed to vent this. Asking for positive vibes if at all possible, please.

Feeling completely burnt out today. Weekend was family religious shenanigans. At least that's over. It really was exhausting. Have a head cold now. Work, Monday, Hamster wheel time.

Family events are always rough, I find. I can't speak for everyone, but for me-it's people being judgemental. It puts me 'on edge', really anxious.

I hope it's just a head cold, and nothing worse. Had a family funeral a few months ago, and a few people came back from it with Covid. Wasn't too awful, but mainly got stomach issues and a bad head-cold like symptoms (they'd had all their shots) . Covid tests came back positive. But they're fine now.

• Advertisement

Family religious events are super extra judgemental, fake, expensive and exhausting. Some people are great at playing the game. I'm not.

It's a regular cold, did an antigen test. Had covid and vaccines so I don't care so much, but it's a pain in the ass when it spreads through the house.

Yep, just like that. Fake, judgmental... I tend to avoid the cost thing. If they want money from me, they'll have a long wait. Know a few who just couldn't get enough money, no matter how much they were paid.

I've always hated being 'patient 0' when it comes to viruses. As a kid, I hated being sick. Especially when I was careful nobody would get sick. But they always did. And my parents worked jobs that meant they couldn't take a day off, so if they got sick, you'd be hearing about it for a week or two afterwards. Still have this weird hypochondria about it.

a similar story to myself, i only become aware of the term anxiety in my 20's also, i guess thats where my journey truly started...

Yep, it's a killer. I think it's saved my bacon a few times, but it's a curse. I've many reasons to be anxious, but when I'm holding my breath when opening a cardboard milk carton, then I know I've a serious problem. Not sure when this got so bad, think definitely in the last 5 years.

(Edit)

And yes, it need to be something people are educated about and learn how to spot and reduce it rather than letting it grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

I've depression over 20 years. I find the constant tiredness is the worst symptom, most of the time. But my anxiety has really spiked the last few years, and it for me is far harder to manage than depression. I constantly second guess and doubt myself. I take offence to everything, I have alienated most of my friends, if they let me down or are not as loyal as I am. It is really affecting my work, as I have serious imposter syndrome. I messed up a few interviews, cause I don't think I'm good enough, even though I have more experience than a lot of my colleagues. I go over conversations and situations and over analyse them. It is exhausting.

I am walking a lot and taking cold showers to try to reset myself. It is just a constant battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

That's the way to do it, don't dwell on what's in front of you just deal with it, from reading the earlier threads here that seems to he the common fiture, people just not willing to face up to things, get an early start to the day, get up out of bed, face the day and get you jobs or job done

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Just getting a bit off my mind here.. Things have not been so good.. My partner is suffering badly with her mental health, my own is not brilliant either.. We will push through, that's how it works but it's been a bit dark and lonely lately.. Normal everyday problems are getting magnified now which is making the whole 'take things day by day or hour by hour' that much harder..

• Advertisement

Ah, there are a lot of varied reasons, why things are very difficult for people. Mental, physical, family, sexual, addictions, finances, .. combinations of these. And there may be no easy solution.

So, facing up to things can be incredibly hard or even impossible. Or maybe possible with lots of professional help long term, which is very expensive.

My comment was something I said lightly that day, and in no way intended to dismiss other people's situation. Coffee and chocolate is definitely a short term fix.

Really, I am using this forum as a way of offload stuff, when I feel overwhelmed, and I think that has great value.

Advertisement