Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Anon.123

Meeoow wrote: »
    Anxiety is sh1te. It snowballs.
    Try exercising. Breathing. Mindfulness.

Have you tried Rescue Remedy by any chance I’ve heard it being recommended?

I’d like to try the herbal remedies if possible before going on anything further.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Anon.123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’m having a really tough time of it lately, have had anxiety for over a year & feel like I’ve tried everything besides medication. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I’m currently on a Grow programme which I find very helpful.

Thank you.

There are lots of things around meditation that you can try, breathing exercises, yoga etc. Then there are things you would learn with a psychologist or people like Grow or Aware about coping skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Hi all,

I’m having a really tough time of it lately, have had anxiety for over a year & feel like I’ve tried everything besides medication. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I’m currently on a Grow programme which I find very helpful.

Thank you.

This might not be the popular opinion but there is nothing wrong with medication even if it's to give you some respite in your mind so you can practice non medicinal methods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

Can I just check what you meant here? Do you mean the side effect doesn’t fully go away while you’re on it or it’s a a life-long side effect that you get?

Just a bit concerned for myself now!

The side effect doesn't fully go away while you're on it.

In some cases the effect can be permanent even when you come off them. It's called PSSD (Google it)

A lot of people are going on Mirtazapine because it doesn't cause sexual side effects like SSRI's and SNRI's do .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

statto25 wrote: »
    This might not be the popular opinion but there is nothing wrong with medication even if it's to give you some respite in your mind so you can practice non medicinal methods.

It's legitimately frustrating that people are so opposed to medication.

One book I read about mental health basically describes medication as water wings. Helps you stay afloat.

Too many people die because folks are opposed to medication. I even saw one video game artist who died (in the last week or so) primarily because he was told 'toughen up' and his parents were opposed to medication.

So he self-medicated... which only made his mental illness worse. He sadly didn't see life getting better, and made a very tragic decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Have you tried Rescue Remedy by any chance I’ve heard it being recommended?

I’d like to try the herbal remedies if possible before going on anything further.

I haven't tried it. I would like to know if its any good. Definitely something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

One book I read about mental health basically describes medication as water wings. Helps you stay afloat.

Too many people die because folks are opposed to medication. I even saw one video game artist who died (in the last week or so) primarily because he was told 'toughen up' and his parents were opposed to medication.

So he self-medicated... which only made his mental illness worse. He sadly didn't see life getting better, and made a very tragic decision.

It’s equally frustrating when you take medication after medication and always end up still in the same place. Doctors just throw these at you and don’t want to hear from you again, it’s not a solution for everyone.

Multipass wrote: »
    It’s equally frustrating when you take medication after medication and always end up still in the same place. Doctors just throw these at you and don’t want to hear from you again, it’s not a solution for everyone.

Oh I agree. But some needlessly suffer. And Mental health services here in IReland are... inadequate, at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Oh I agree. But some needlessly suffer. And Mental health services here in IReland are... inadequate, at best.

...and quickly getting worse, as far as i can see

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ...and quickly getting worse, as far as i can see

Legitimately, yeah. You have to go private. And not everyone can afford private.

• Advertisement

Legitimately, yeah. You have to go private. And not everyone can afford private.

absolutely, shur one of my therapists is 70 a visit

Especially when they raise their prices. €200 for an online follow up appointment with one of the major private providers, raised from €150 this January. That’s me done.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Plus it's not quite a 'true' sleep. If its the codeine that's making one fall asleep, then you're going to wake up just as tired.

I just checked and there is no codeine in Tamy4flu It is the antihistamine causes sleepiness.

I take prescription codeine at night for nerve pain and I sleep like a baby and wake refreshed and eased. Ready for the day ahead. Very much a true sleep . It sets the issues that are preventing sleep aside.

Graces7 wrote: »
    I just checked and there is no codeine in Tamy4flu It is the antihistamine causes sleepiness.

I take prescription codeine at night for nerve pain and I sleep like a baby and wake refreshed and eased. Ready for the day ahead. Very much a true sleep . It sets the issues that are preventing sleep aside.

It can vary. If you're taking it for a prescribed reason, then it will help. If it's not prescribed and the issue is psychological, then it's going to do more harm than good.

Sleep when whack the last few days. Tho this time, it's not inexplicable.

Someone my brother used to work with passed away last week (his funeral was a few days ago). He'd been given a terminal diagnosis roughly 2 years ago, and sadly his time came.

While initially I didn't think it would affect me, I watched his funeral (it was streamed online, and on the radio, due to Covid and a limited number of people being allowed attend his funeral) out of respect, as I knew his family. (His dad and my dad often worked together too).

Listening to the details of his passing, the final days, how his family and his fiancee couldn't hug him goodbye and instead had to say goodbye while standing at the window of the hospice...
    It got to me.

Been weirdly hazy since then.

It can vary. If you're taking it for a prescribed reason, then it will help. If it's not prescribed and the issue is psychological, then it's going to do more harm than good.

Sleep is sleep. and a well known side effect of codeine thankfully. Bliss!

And of course there are other major issues I battle with. But sleep helps those too however it is achieved.
    And I wake refreshed and renewed and able to face another day,

it is personal choice. Taking psych meds I mean. As is every form of medical treatment

I personally would never again touch psych meds after years of them . So many side effects and an unreliable outcome. Pain control is enough for me in my old age

But my generation were not raised that way.
    And this is my choice now after trying it both ways.

And many on them make that last choice anyways. Sadly so . Thinking of young Shpud

Graces7 wrote: »
    it is personal choice. Taking psych meds I mean. As is every form of medical treatment

I personally would never again touch psych meds after years of them . So many side effects and an unreliable outcome. Pain control is enough for me in my old age

But my generation were not raised that way.
    And this is my choice now after trying it both ways.

And many on them make that last choice anyways. Sadly so . Thinking of young Shpud

Young Shpud? Aw, I didn't know they made that choice... I may have been away from the forum at the time. Very sorry to hear that.

Yeah... they're not for everyone. Some people respond well to them, some people find them disagreeable.
    There's also this fear of taking pills.

I know my parents hate(d) taking an anti-biotic (come to think of it, so do I-but for different reasons. The side effects tend to be annoying, as it affects my skin.). They'd be very slow to take them, often trying over the counter stuff, or home remedies.
    If things didn't get better after about 2 or 3 weeks, they'd go to the doctor.

Been lying here in the darkness. Once again I am being left with no pain meds. Quite deliberately and knowingly again.

Utterly weary of being some kind of pawn in all this. Heartsick that any dr could do this. Weary of spending the best part of a day when pain and exhaustion were so bad anyways battering down the wall of silence to learn that this is the same people etc Everyone just walking by on the other side.

It is a dark place. Where I cannot stay any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PatFran96

Anyone any experience of taking Setraline for anxiety, 3 weeks in now and feeling just horrible, still got nausea, feeling really down and depressed with it and anxiety is still very high. Trying to decide whether to just kick them or keep with for another while

• Advertisement

PatFran96 wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of taking Setraline for anxiety, 3 weeks in now and feeling just horrible, still got nausea, feeling really down and depressed with it and anxiety is still very high. Trying to decide whether to just kick them or keep with for another while

That one didn’t suit me, but I’d say that if you’re 3 weeks in it might be worth carrying on a few more to give it a proper chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

It didnt suit me but if youre 3 weeks in keep going, another 2 weeks and you should start to feel better.

PatFran96 wrote:

I'm on it a year now, first ssri, so I've nothing to compare to, but I think it's helping me a lot, with both anxiety and depression. took a while to find the right dosage though, was originally prescribed 150mg, but side effects became too much, blurred vision and severe eye irritation, down to 50mg now, little or no side effects

I'm on it a year now, first ssri, so I've nothing to compare to, but I think it's helping me a lot, with both anxiety and depression. took a while to find the right dosage though, was originally prescribed 150mg, but side effects became too much, blurred vision and severe eye irritation, down to 50mg now, little or no side effects

Thanks for the reply, how long did it take until you started to see the benefits of it, I'm on 50mg for the last 3 weeks and seeing no benefits, actually have been feeling worse than before I started taking it.

It didnt suit me but if youre 3 weeks in keep going, another 2 weeks and you should start to feel better.

Thanks, yeah I hope I will see some positive benefits to it soon, so far it's been horrible, from nausea, headaches, brain fog etc. If dont see an improvement soon will head back to doctors

Thanks for the reply, how long did it take until you started to see the benefits of it, I'm on 50mg for the last 3 weeks and seeing no benefits, actually have been feeling worse than before I started taking it.

i was originally prescribed 150mg, i slowly increased dosage, until i got to the 150mg per day, in 50mg intervals. i actually felt a difference almost immediately, on the 50mg, but this improved as i increased dosage. unfortunately the side effects became too much as i increased the dosage, becoming unbearable at the 150 level, leading to severe eye irritation and very bad blurred vision. doc recommended dropping dosage until things settled down, leaving dosage up to myself. im currently on 50mg, have been for a couple of weeks now, but my mood is starting to wobbly a bit, so i may have to increase it back to the previous amount, 75mg, which i was at for a few months, with little or no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rain_Dog_Brian

Hi there. I started on 50mg Sertraline, and after 4wks moved up to 100mg.
    In the (first) fourth week I felt noticeably better (much reduced anxiety) for a few days (my perspective shifted). It was near instantaneous as opposed to slight improvements over time.
    It dipped after about 1 wk.
    Then 4wks into 100mg there was a significant improvement again.
    I’m now nearly 8wks in at 100mg, and enjoying life.
    Happy to pm more if you want.

I did get prescription to help me sleep, through the initial weeks, where the side effects seemed to be increased anxiety. Don’t need them now.

Also doing CBT.

Best of luck giving them the full chance, rather than stopping before giving them a chance to work, so long as you are able to that is.
    I didn’t have any luck on the first SSRI I tried (gave it 8wks), so don’t give up if this one doesn’t happen to work.

Sleep is kind of gone to wack again.

I've found that I've been trying to pull 16 hour days, with a 4 or 5 hour sleep. It's not productive, and it makes me crash and sleep for 17 hours after a couple of days of that.

I don't like it. I don't like feeling like I'm wasting days.

I don't like it. I don't like feeling like I'm wasting days.

I'm in a similar frame of mind here, sleep has gone ta sh1te

• Advertisement

I'm in a similar frame of mind here, sleep has gone ta sh1te

I don't like it. Genuinely. It makes me irritable beyond belief. Like a hangover.

Advertisement