Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Yeah i joined aware zoom call last week and i am going to a pyschiatrist next monday. Sometimes i just think that if i tried harder then i would be able to drag myself out of this

Oh I understand that, then again if you broke your leg this minute I doubt you'd try fix that yourself no more than I would! It does seem different when talking about mental health, it's taken me a long time to come around to it, I still question sometimes. I use a mood app too, it's probably not for everyone however it's worth considering. Well done on every fight you've won so far, may there be many more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Sorry to hear you are going through all that. Give that cancer hell!

If you don't mind me asking what is the Aware zoom call and how would I join?

https://www.aware.ie/support/support-groups/

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Dr. Em wrote: »
    Sunnyday,
    Your situation is massively stressful - you need a holiday! Could you designate a few days to take a virtual holiday in your house?
    More seriously, the HSÉ has a registry of private and public councellors in every county. If you can't find it on their labyrinthine website, a friend was able to get next-day help from their GP, and your GP should also be able to direct you to any local supports. If councelling isn't for you (and it doesn't suit everyone), could you delegate any day-to-day stresses to family or friends? You mentioned a son - could you ask grandparents/cousins/siblings/etc. to arrange an online date with your son while you do something relaxing? Could they do anything practical to help? Often times, friends and family don't know what to do to help and might like to be asked.
    Don't be too hard on yourself and remember to do things that make you feel better, be that a cup of tea, a walk, or running around the house screaming. :-)
    Best of luck.

Hi - thanks for the reply. My wife is here and able to mind my son so he isnt causing me any stress and to be honest looking at him is one of the only reasons i can keep going. I am working with a pyschologist also but not a councillor

I am so disinterested in life and everything is grey, nothing really makes me feel better at the moment and i feel like it will never get better, i feel very hopeless

My wife is amazing but she is losing patience a bit now, saying that she advised me not to stop the new medication and now i am back to square one

I cannot make a decision as to what is right or wrong for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Hi - thanks for the reply. My wife is here and able to mind my son so he isnt causing me any stress and to be honest looking at him is one of the only reasons i can keep going. I am working with a pyschologist also but not a councillor

I am so disinterested in life and everything is grey, nothing really makes me feel better at the moment and i feel like it will never get better, i feel very hopeless

My wife is amazing but she is losing patience a bit now, saying that she advised me not to stop the new medication and now i am back to square one

I cannot make a decision as to what is right or wrong for me

You kind of said something interesting- 'nothing makes me feel better', yet as you pointed out, your son keeps you going.
    Not picking on you or your wording. But I think finding a bright spark to hold onto is important.

The feeling of hopelessness has really encompassed the year (plus change) tbh. But it's important to note that much of the mental health journey you make, is, unfortunately, one only you can take. IF you weren't feeling right with the medication, then maybe it's something you need to talk to your Gp/ therapist about. Sometimes it's the meds, sometimes it's our differing constitutions.

And I know from personal experience, family can get annoyed when things aren't working out (regarding treatment). The last year alone I was not fun to be around. Surprised I wasn't punched in the face, tbh.

But that's not to say people are losing faith in you. It's just... these are trying times, and many of us are more stressed than usual.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Bunny that is a terrible state to exist in.. Have you been to a gp?. I understand that it will cost you but health is a justifiable expense? Well done on posting here, hopefully you will find some comfort and i'm glad posting has helped you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

anybody experience tooth ache and jaw pain on sertraline before?

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Do you grind your teeth perhaps? I've had ongoing issues with that over the years.

Do you grind your teeth perhaps? I've had ongoing issues with that over the years.

im starting to think i may do, im experiencing tooth ache and jaw pain over the last few days, i have an old dodgy tooth, thats close to the end of its life, but the pain seems to be moving around my jaw and teeth, thats a very unusual situation, so im thinking i might be grinding my teeth, im also thinking, maybe my wisdom teeth are on the move or something

It's a common thing with anxiety in particular while asleep.. Say it to your gp..

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Did you check the massive list of side effects in tiny print? I wouldn't be surprised if it was sertraline causing it.
    I have tinnitus from it. It says ringing in ears as a side effect. It doesn't mention that it can be permanent, even after you stop it.

• Advertisement

Meeoow wrote: »
    Did you check the massive list of side effects in tiny print? I wouldn't be surprised if it was sertraline causing it.
    I have tinnitus from it. It says ringing in ears as a side effect. It doesn't mention that it can be permanent, even after you stop it.

im looking around alright, only thing i can see is 'tenderness around cheekbones', nothing directly about tooth ache, i might bring down my dosage, just to see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Is anyone else having absolutely woeful service from the local mental health department??
    Four times in a row my prescriptions were short, nobody has any clue what is going on and today I ran out and ringing the pharmacy to arrange my script, they hadn't received it (had a call with consultant doc two days ago)
    At this point the only thing negatively affecting my mental health is the service and how stressful it is trying to constantly arrange medication (getting emergency scripts and rooting through drawers, sometimes halving my dose to keep it going) as I can never get through to anyone at the clinic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

im starting to think i may do, im experiencing tooth ache and jaw pain over the last few days, i have an old dodgy tooth, thats close to the end of its life, but the pain seems to be moving around my jaw and teeth, thats a very unusual situation, so im thinking i might be grinding my teeth, im also thinking, maybe my wisdom teeth are on the move or something

I clench my jaw on all ssri meds, But just a thought based on you saying that the pain moves around your jaw and teeth - I get this a lot and mine is caused by sinus problems. Once the tooth pain starts I know I’m in for sinus pain and headaches for the next day or two.

Multipass wrote: »
    I clench my jaw on all ssri meds, But just a thought based on you saying that the pain moves around your jaw and teeth - I get this a lot and mine is caused by sinus problems. Once the tooth pain starts I know I’m in for sinus pain and headaches for the next day or two.

yea i think mine is all sinus related, have to contact the doc next week anyway, so i think i ll request a covid test anyway, im not showing any of the serious signs, no fever, virtually no cough, no difficulties breeding etc. this is going on almost a week now

Sleep has been really messed up this week. Monday and Thursday, went to bed at 6pm, for a nap. Ended up sleeping 16 hours each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

I cant sleep without taking benylin 4flu everynight to knock me out. Suffering bad insomnia and stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Told the clinic I didn't want to come up on the mirtazapine because most of the stress and low mood I've been having comes from their absolute lack of communication and care towards me and whether I'm content and on my medication, but its so ****ing hard just to get a script from them I'm tempted to just leave it, what hurt could it do..

Lockheed wrote: »
    Told the clinic I didn't want to come up on the mirtazapine because most of the stress and low mood I've been having comes from their absolute lack of communication and care towards me and whether I'm content and on my medication, but its so ****ing hard just to get a script from them I'm tempted to just leave it, what hurt could it do..

Usually the team there would email your gp to keep them up to date with things, perhaps your gp could help by issuing the script?.

I cant sleep without taking benylin 4flu everynight to knock me out. Suffering bad insomnia and stress.

Not good, sorry to hear it.. You been to your doctor?. Not a healthy habit plus doesn't treat the stress

Not good, sorry to hear it.. You been to your doctor?. Not a healthy habit plus doesn't treat the stress

Plus it's not quite a 'true' sleep. If its the codeine that's making one fall asleep, then you're going to wake up just as tired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 PatFran96

One week done taking these and feeling terrible nausea, dizziness, trouble sleeping and even more anxiety than normal. Really hoping I get through this phase soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

PatFran96 wrote: »
    One week done taking these and feeling terrible nausea, dizziness, trouble sleeping and even more anxiety than normal. Really hoping I get through this phase soon.

The first week I felt like that as well but it does ease off eventually. If you're really bad go to Caredoc and ask for something to help the sleeping.

Just to let you know the sexual side effects never fully go away. That's why I'm talking to my doctor about trying a different antidepressant other than an SSRI

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rain_Dog_Brian

Hi there. This is frequent. I did get Anxicalm to help me sleep. I didn’t want to take it at start because I wanted to assess the effectiveness of the SSRI alone, but it definitely helped. I stuck with my first SSRI for 8 weeks just to be sure to give it full chance. But remained “more anxious”. Then changed fairly quickly to a second type. This worked better but took a fair while (6wks-ish) to have full effect. I’m currently about 10 was into that second type, and I’m significantly improved (incl. other things like meditation, no drink, using CBT). That’s after at least 1yr of being in a bad hole, and a few decades of under the radar anxiety.
    SSRI definitely changed my entire perspective for the better (along with other things as mentioned above).
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Just started on Brintellix and dont really notice any side effects but not sure if I feel any different. Has anyone tried this medication before? Thoughts?

Just started on Brintellix and dont really notice any side effects but not sure if I feel any different. Has anyone tried this medication before? Thoughts?

How long are you on it?. As frustrating as all the mood drugs it takes a few weeks foe effects to become apparent and of course dosages may be changed too. My partner found it useful initially but it levelled off so docs changed her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

How long are you on it?. As frustrating as all the mood drugs it takes a few weeks foe effects to become apparent and of course dosages may be changed too. My partner found it useful initially but it levelled off so docs changed her again.

Im just on it 3 weeks, 2 weeks on 5mg and one week on 10mg. Ive read from comments on other forums that it can stop working after a few weeks, not sure if thats common with all meds or just Brintillex?
    I dread the thought of having to changed meds as ive been on 2 other ones over the years and the side effects were unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Anon.123

Hi all,

I’m having a really tough time of it lately, have had anxiety for over a year & feel like I’ve tried everything besides medication. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I’m currently on a Grow programme which I find very helpful.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Anon.123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’m having a really tough time of it lately, have had anxiety for over a year & feel like I’ve tried everything besides medication. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I’m currently on a Grow programme which I find very helpful.

Thank you.

Anxiety is sh1te. It snowballs.
    Try exercising. Breathing. Mindfulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

FHFM50 wrote: »
    Just to let you know the sexual side effects never fully go away. That's why I'm talking to my doctor about trying a different antidepressant other than an SSRI

Can I just check what you meant here? Do you mean the side effect doesn’t fully go away while you’re on it or it’s a a life-long side effect that you get?

Just a bit concerned for myself now!

• Advertisement

Im just on it 3 weeks, 2 weeks on 5mg and one week on 10mg. Ive read from comments on other forums that it can stop working after a few weeks, not sure if thats common with all meds or just Brintillex?
    I dread the thought of having to changed meds as ive been on 2 other ones over the years and the side effects were unbearable.

It can take six to eight weeks to see results at varying doses. Do talk to your gp/health professional about it, they'll have been through similar with others and can allay your fears. There is a big enough range of medications and combinations out there that you shouldn't have to tolerate bad side effects

Advertisement