Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

Tbh, it's still a no-no. Whether we like it or not.

I imagine it will always be a no-no. Even something like dyslexia ( a strange analogy, but one I feel is pertinent) is even a no-no, just from folks I've spoken to.

We'll always find weird things to make 'no-no's'. Human's are very reluctant to discuss 'weakness'.

True enough but it’s getting better I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A very brief visit as I am in the worst physically affected M.E relapse for longer than I can remember.

Things just went worse and worse over the season. Pain levels and despair and increasing … it has been one of the darkest times of my life.

But now I have a ( new) GP and I have my meds back.

The Christmas Angel. did me proud.. ....enlisting human help of course. No help came from HSE about it but all is in place now as it should be.

Angels have many shapes.

It will take a while to get pain levels down but working on it and sleeping up to 18 hours a day with the M.E. Zombie

Cannot express the sheer relief.

Thank you all here for the support over the last while and I hope all is copable with thee. You were here for me so much

I am so aware of the extra stresses covid is inflicting. Safe here and so peaceful. But we have lost three "family" .

And covid has advanced into Mayo now.

Tbh, it's still a no-no. Whether we like it or not.

I imagine it will always be a no-no. Even something like dyslexia ( a strange analogy, but one I feel is pertinent) is even a no-no, just from folks I've spoken to.

We'll always find weird things to make 'no-no's'. Human's are very reluctant to discuss 'weakness'.

I used to describe attitudes to mental health as being about " the new leprosy"

Graces7 wrote: »
    I used to describe attitudes to mental health as being about " the new leprosy"

PS I think that if someone has a broken leg it is easy to see and treat. If somoen has more inner issues>

There was one time someone from church who was very wary of such places visited me in a psych place

A lady sitting near me was prone to emitting sudden shrieks..

The visitor never came back. really when ti is so hard for US to understand?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Endless job rejections, bad sleep. Everything is a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Had a pretty good Christmas break, anxiety and OCD to a minimum. As soon as work hit again my head went into overlord, week and a half of neverending obsessive thinking and anxiety since we started back. Clean eating, exercise and hobbies having little affect. I'll have to wait this one out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Kilboor wrote: »
    Had a pretty good Christmas break, anxiety and OCD to a minimum. As soon as work hit again my head went into overlord, week and a half of neverending obsessive thinking and anxiety since we started back. Clean eating, exercise and hobbies having little affect. I'll have to wait this one out again.

Same here, I usually hate Christmas, but I really enjoyed not having to think about work. Back to the grindstone now, 2 crappy nights sleep over me.
    I used to like working, but lately, I find it hard to cope with people. My tolerance levels are tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Mental health is taking a bit of a dive this week, keep getting flashbacks of embarrassing or hurtful things I said or did and cringe again like im reliving it. Does anyone else get this? I know im getting depressed/anxious when these thoughts take over just dont know how to make them stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mental health is taking a bit of a dive this week, keep getting flashbacks of embarrassing or hurtful things I said or did and cringe again like im reliving it. Does anyone else get this? I know im getting depressed/anxious when these thoughts take over just dont know how to make them stop!

yup, happens me a lot, its very upsetting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I dont experience those specific type of thoughts but I do have a familiar pattern of intrusive, unwanted thoughts that herald an episode. Its good that you can recognise these thoughts as 'symptoms' or signs. Could you try focusing on that when you notice yourself having them? This might help you from bring sucked into a negative thought spiral. I've found deliberately trying to change my focus doesn't work for me. I try and let the thought happen, remind myself this is a symptom and try and let it wash over me. It doesn't always work, but it can slow down or interrupt the cycle.

I'm on day 8 of Prozac. No real dude effects until today, now I feel really rough today.

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I dont experience those specific type of thoughts but I do have a familiar pattern of intrusive, unwanted thoughts that herald an episode. Its good that you can recognise these thoughts as 'symptoms' or signs. Could you try focusing on that when you notice yourself having them? This might help you from bring sucked into a negative thought spiral. I've found deliberately trying to change my focus doesn't work for me. I try and let the thought happen, remind myself this is a symptom and try and let it wash over me. It doesn't always work, but it can slow down or interrupt the cycle.

I'm on day 8 of Prozac. No real dude effects until today, now I feel really rough today.

Thanks that was really helpful.

Give the meds another week or 2, they take a good bit of time to work. Your body might be adjusting to them.

Ha ha, same here. Glad I'm not the only one. I am going to get out for a walk this evening, it seems to help.

Meeoow wrote: »
    Ha ha, same here. Glad I'm not the only one. I am going to get out for a walk this evening, it seems to help.

Doesn't it? I went for one earlier and feel a bit better.
    Ive not been active lately because its just so cold and I think thats playing a part. Being active is so important for mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Had a sh11ty day at work, went out for a walk too lads even though it was drizzling and dark.

Good to clear the head!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

The key may not be to make them stop, but more about not making them a bother.
    I had a lot of issues with this in the past and one thing that helped was realizing that we don't own our thoughts and our thoughts do not define who we are. They are simply reflections of a certain memory.

A technique I found helpful was the following:
    1. when a negative or disturbing thought enters your mind. Observe the thought, acknowledge it and then decide to let it go. Almost visualize it floating away. And then re-focus your mind on what ever you are doing at the time. rinse and repeat,
    2. to take number 1 a bit further, after observing and acknowledging the thought, then challenge it. As in, if you are thinking "why did I say X to that person"? Then ask yourself, how bad was the actual outcome? what resulted in it? Is the persons life destroyed? is mine?"
    Ultimately rationalize and try to not be so hard on yourself. Give yourself a break or purposely respond with an opposite positive response.

Hope that helps! Good luck

The key may not be to make them stop, but more about not making them a bother.
    I had a lot of issues with this in the past and one thing that helped was realizing that we don't own our thoughts and our thoughts do not define who we are. They are simply reflections of a certain memory.

A technique I found helpful was the following:
    1. when a negative or disturbing thought enters your mind. Observe the thought, acknowledge it and then decide to let it go. Almost visualize it floating away. And then re-focus your mind on what ever you are doing at the time. rinse and repeat,
    2. to take number 1 a bit further, after observing and acknowledging the thought, then challenge it. As in, if you are thinking "why did I say X to that person"? Then ask yourself, how bad was the actual outcome? what resulted in it? Is the persons life destroyed? is mine?"
    Ultimately rationalize and try to not be so hard on yourself. Give yourself a break or purposely respond with an opposite positive response.

Hope that helps! Good luck

Yes, that was really helpful, thank you for posting that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Kilboor wrote: »

I'm the exact same was able to switch off for a while at xmas but anxiety slowly building since starting back after xmas and now back to negative thoughts, stress and panic so looks like no sleep tonight 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Exhausted, irritable and fed up. Breathing exercises not really working. Just want to go home and crawl into bed until this passes.

Mind working against me today, reminding me of every stupid mistake I've ever made

Mind working against me today, reminding me of every stupid mistake I've ever made

I did the CBT course on the Aware website. It was helpful in trying to turn my negative thoughts into less black and white thinking.
    You should have a look at their site, there are some good talks on it.

• Advertisement

I did the CBT course on the Aware website. It was helpful in trying to turn my negative thoughts into less black and white thinking.

I'll do that straight away thanks!

Expressed interest in the next life skills course beginning next month

Expressed interest in the next life skills course beginning next month

That's the one that I did. It is good, you get out what you put in.
    When negative thinking is our default, we have to challenge it and replace it with less negative thoughts. It takes a lot of practice.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

When negative thinking is our default, we have to challenge it and replace it with less negative thoughts. It takes a lot of practice.

The negative thinking sometimes takes over to an obsessive level :o One negative thing that drives me crazy is my appearance. I can't even look at myself in a picture, the negativity would get to me :o:o

That's the one that I did. It is good, you get out what you put in.
    Best of luck!

Thanks so much for sending me that way, a doctor had mentioned it years ago and I never paid attention to the opening dates so never bothered. Sounds good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Hi All - I am going through a severe anxiety and depressive episode and near breaking point.

I have had anxiety all my life but only started medication a few years ago when i had a nervous breakdown and lost a lot of weight and was crying all the time. I became obsessed with the medicine side effects and reliance on them and took a long time to accept them

I was doing very well then until last Sept when i had a shock cancer diagnosis and a very large operation, my prognosis is very good but it pushed me back into a severe anxiety and depression phase. My Doctor recommended i add a medication and i welcomed the chance for it to help but then since starting taking it i have fallen back into my old way of "i should be able to beat this on my own, maybe im not trying hard enough" and things like "the medication will help me sleep so i wont ever be able to fall asleep again naturally for the rest of my life and i have lost my old life "

I look at photos of my son and cant stop crying, i think that suicide would be a better option sometimes even though deep down i know i wouldnt do it. I stopped my new medication for a few days and then went back on it yesterday because again i thought stopping it was the wrong decision , and now i was on my knees crying worrying that i should not have gone back on the medication.

I am not asking for medication advice as i know thats not allowed - but what i am asking is for help on how to accept my condition. I often think i am exagerating everything and just wallowing in it all and im not that bad at all and everything will just lift if i give it time. I feel like my mind is locked and im very trapped.

I want so deperately to just hand over control of my decision making to my wife and doctors and feel good when i do this but then the worries return and think that only i can make the right decision for my head and condition

Is crying a sign of severe depression or am i just exagerating it ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hey Sunnyday, depression does leave many with a massive feeling of self doubt. Has your gp referred you to your local mental health clinic?. Also Aware are running online courses that i know some have found helpful. Keep to the schedule of medication too if you can, starting and stopping can make your outlook even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Hey Sunnyday, depression does leave many with a massive feeling of self doubt. Has your gp referred you to your local mental health clinic?. Also Aware are running online courses that i know some have found helpful. Keep to the schedule of medication too if you can, starting and stopping can make your outlook even worse.

Yeah i joined aware zoom call last week and i am going to a pyschiatrist next monday. Sometimes i just think that if i tried harder then i would be able to drag myself out of this

Yeah i joined aware zoom call last week and i am going to a pyschiatrist next monday. Sometimes i just think that if i tried harder then i would be able to drag myself out of this

Sorry to hear you are going through all that. Give that cancer hell!

If you don't mind me asking what is the Aware zoom call and how would I join?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Sunnyday,
    Your situation is massively stressful - you need a holiday! Could you designate a few days to take a virtual holiday in your house?
    More seriously, the HSÉ has a registry of private and public councellors in every county. If you can't find it on their labyrinthine website, a friend was able to get next-day help from their GP, and your GP should also be able to direct you to any local supports. If councelling isn't for you (and it doesn't suit everyone), could you delegate any day-to-day stresses to family or friends? You mentioned a son - could you ask grandparents/cousins/siblings/etc. to arrange an online date with your son while you do something relaxing? Could they do anything practical to help? Often times, friends and family don't know what to do to help and might like to be asked.
    Don't be too hard on yourself and remember to do things that make you feel better, be that a cup of tea, a walk, or running around the house screaming. :-)
    Best of luck.

Advertisement