Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭worded

Boards thread .... important life lessons ...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058108041

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Anyone have any tips on relaxing? Need to lower my heart rate

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Stick youtube on and listen to Erik Satie. Works for me.

Sardonicat wrote: »

What's that? Sounds interesting

Oh hell yes, this is good, thank you! I've youtube music subscription as well so I can stick it on in the background

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Oh hell yes, this is good, thank you! I've youtube music subscription as well so I can stick it on in the background
    Better than drugs, isn't it?:D

Better than drugs, isn't it?:D

Almost ;) thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

One thing I am sure of is that I cannot get covid - unless a bird carries it in. When the dr had to come a few weeks ago she was in full PPE.

The offshore islands were quarantined as soon as it all kicked off. Now they are freed but great care is being taken.

Even so the stress reaches us ail. It is in the air we all breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I found this video pretty helpful. It's only 9 minutes long, and while he does speak some pseudoscience and mumbo jumbo at the beginning, the meditation itsself is pretty useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭penovine

stress management on line courses...

https://stresscontrol.ie/

• Advertisement

For me, the simplest things prevent stress from damaging. Knitting for others.. watching anything with a story. Listening to the deep silence out here. All the care my cats need and the simplicity of them. Simple food.. just enjoyed a slice of wholemeal toast with butter, marmalade and honey... mmmm

The things that have always been there and always been dependable in a shifting world.

Little news items like that baby giraffe.. Named it after me!

Moments of joy that are like rainbows. Like rifts in dark clouds .

BED! Snug. lol.... Yawn..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Graces7 wrote: »
    For me, the simplest things prevent stress from damaging. Knitting for others.. watching anything with a story. Listening to the deep silence out here. All the care my cats need and the simplicity of them. Simple food.. just enjoyed a slice of wholemeal toast with butter, marmalade and honey... mmmm

The things that have always been there and always been dependable in a shifting world.

Little news items like that baby giraffe.. Named it after me!

Moments of joy that are like rainbows. Like rifts in dark clouds .

BED! Snug. lol.... Yawn..

Well that's it really keep kinda busy, if you find yourself lazing around thinking crap...just jump up do something anything,. Wholemeal toast with butter, marmalade and honey,just make it and eat it,... Plenty of water, keep somewhat busy and a decent diet. Cures everything. Unless of course you're a raving alcoholic and a 40 a day smoker.,well then yill-never-be-right!?

And remember: we're all depressed, but only drunks drink about it... Am kinda saying(and I'm sorry)don't be blaming the depression for your drinking,in fact 100% blame the alcohol for your ongoing never ending anxiety/depression..
    I always said if I was a psychiatrist,that I wouldn't treat a BIG drinker who came to me with depression unless they were free from alcohol first(it would be like pissing against the wind)
    Take my word on this because believe me: I could write a book about it and certainly about the effects of alcohol and it's terrifyingly underrated effects on the consumer and his/her close contacts....

Well that's it really keep kinda busy, if you find yourself lazing around thinking crap...just jump up do something anything,. Wholemeal toast with butter, marmalade and honey,just make it and eat it,... Plenty of water, keep somewhat busy and a decent diet. Cures everything. Unless of course you're a raving alcoholic and a 40 a day smoker.,well then yill-never-be-right!?

And remember: we're all depressed, but only drunks drink about it... Am kinda saying(and I'm sorry)don't be blaming the depression for your drinking,in fact 100% blame the alcohol for your ongoing never ending anxiety/depression..
    I always said if I was a psychiatrist,that I wouldn't treat a BIG drinker who came to me with depression unless they were free from alcohol first(it would be like pissing against the wind)
    Take my word on this because believe me: I could write a book about it and certainly about the effects of alcohol and it's terrifyingly underrated effects on the consumer and his/her close contacts....

Where'd she say she drinks??

Edit: I read this wrong I think

lol.. I don't think he does say that but does HE?

Just a rambling post is all!

Many with M.E are allergic to alcohol ….I certainly am

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

And remember: we're all depressed, but only drunks drink about it... Am kinda saying(and I'm sorry)don't be blaming the depression for your drinking,in fact 100% blame the alcohol for your ongoing never ending anxiety/depression.. I always said if I was a psychiatrist,that I wouldn't treat a BIG drinker who came to me with depression unless they were free from alcohol first(it would be like pissing against the wind) Take my word on this because believe me: I could write a book about it and certainly about the effects of alcohol and it's terrifyingly underrated effects on the consumer and his/her close contacts....

It is common that treatment for many disorders cannot truly begin, while substance abuse is occurring, but the truth is, many, possibly most, require support to do so, some simply cannot do it alone, therefore it self perpetuates, substance abuse is far from simplistic, logic sometimes doesn't work in order to deal with it, we re complex creatures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Edit: I read this wrong I think

No no no I didn't say she drinks. But I can see how you would 'gather' that from my post. I was just adding that throwing it in seeing as I was on the subject of anxiety and depression. I should made 2 different posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

might cheer some up here, or not! 1.30 mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Anyone else here find it more difficult being single? I keep thinking things would be easier to deal with if I had a partner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I feel a lot of guilt at times over my partner, things about bpd causing crap behaviour etc. On the fortunate side she also has illness so is more aware and understanding of things i do but it still weighs on me.. However the mutual support has done so much for us both at the same time..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

carzony wrote: »
    Anyone else here find it more difficult being single? I keep thinking things would be easier to deal with if I had a partner.

I don't think there's any hard and fast rule to be honest. I've never actively dealt with bad depression when in a relationship but I know someone who's partner couldn't have been more of a support, and another whose partner told them 'everyone has problem's you need to get over it'.

• Advertisement

No! I do have supportive folk though. And it can and does help. Without that close two way commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

I finished with my partner late last year. In a way, I regret finishing, but I was in a downward spiral of depression, with a smidging of stubbornness that I could fight it without help.
    I think if I'd of gotten help then, we might have stayed together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Anyone here take beta blockers for general stress relief? I was on them years ago for a city and the really helped with that.

I think I may be suffering with too much stress. I'm worried about the effects of it (can see my hair is beginning to thin lately)

Anyone here take beta blockers for general stress relief? I was on them years ago for a city and the really helped with that.

I think I may be suffering with too much stress. I'm worried about the effects of it (can see my hair is beginning to thin lately)

Yes but they only treat the manifestation of anxiety ie.incressed heart rate

Was on them for a while but they don't get to the root of the problem; in my opinion, counselling/CBT and anti depressants are far better options

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

3 weeks on citalopram 10mg. Definitely feel a bit less anxious, calm, easier to let things go etc. Less down too i suppose but still little motivation, energy, concentration. Big thing is the last week ive had real stomach issues, shivery, just not right. Initially thought it was a bug but feel it is the meds. I find it weird this came on after 2 weeks of barely any side effects - everything ive read says get through the initial side effects tgen youre grand? Yakult is helping my stomach a lot now but i dont want to be masking symptoms, i dont like meds doing this to my body. Got a prescription to go up to 20mg next week and its not feeling like such a good idea now lol

Im not saying today has been a bad day but i did just google "depression, cant move" lol

3 weeks and 2 days on citalopram. Awful day. Not mentally. Had to go home from work as had the worst constipation ever - sorry for the info but was so painful. Couldnt even buy a newspaper just wanted to get home. Never had constipation outside my own house ever (yeah lucky me...) - usually happens at night or when i get up. Has to be the citalopram. Thinking of ways to combat it. Have my daily apple which i forget sometimes. Have a walk every day no matter how short. And instead of getting up early to take the cit then going back to bed, stay up - going back after eating can cause constipation in the past for me. Any more ideas guys?? If this is going to be a regular thing i wont be able to handle it, ill be ditching the meds

fr336 wrote: »
    3 weeks and 2 days on citalopram. Awful day. Not mentally. Had to go home from work as had the worst constipation ever - sorry for the info but was so painful. Couldnt even buy a newspaper just wanted to get home. Never had constipation outside my own house ever (yeah lucky me...) - usually happens at night or when i get up. Has to be the citalopram. Thinking of ways to combat it. Have my daily apple which i forget sometimes. Have a walk every day no matter how short. And instead of getting up early to take the cit then going back to bed, stay up - going back after eating can cause constipation in the past for me. Any more ideas guys?? If this is going to be a regular thing i wont be able to handle it, ill be ditching the meds

Cup of prune juice if you can stomach it, orange juice good too. May be unrelated to the citalopram but possible

Cup of prune juice if you can stomach it, orange juice good too. May be unrelated to the citalopram but possible

Yeah the more i think about it i have been having a bananna with the cit to not have an empty stomach then going back to bed and sleeping on my stomach obviously! However only problem with thia theory is why am i not constipated every day why just certain times, and today i didnt go back as had work earlier. I was walking along saying what a nice morning then out of nowhere it started...thought i was going into a heart attack at one point

• Advertisement

fr336 wrote: »
    Yeah the more i think about it i have been having a bananna with the cit to not have an empty stomach then going back to bed and sleeping on my stomach obviously! However only problem with thia theory is why am i not constipated every day why just certain times, and today i didnt go back as had work earlier. I was walking along saying what a nice morning then out of nowhere it started...thought i was going into a heart attack at one point

Did you look up the leaflet in with the meds and see if it is a side effect? Bananas can bung you up a bit too

Advertisement