Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Graces7 wrote: »
    Anyone else finding the shorter days and the dark weather affecting energy and mood? SAD is a feature of M.E and slowed down here. Knowing why feeling like this helps as I can compensate.

There are LED lights available specifically to help overcome this. I personally haven't ever used them but I understand that they can be quite good and are relatively low cost (less than €50).

As well as that, the concept of hygge is something which could be embraced throughout the winter months so the thoughts of darker days could be associated with more positive experiences than negative.

Think you are already on top of this when you refer to being aware of something and compensating to overcome it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

There are LED lights available specifically to help overcome this. I personally haven't ever used them but I understand that they can be quite good and are relatively low cost (less than €50).

As well as that, the concept of hygge is something which could be embraced throughout the winter months so the thoughts of darker days could be associated with more positive experiences than negative.

Think you are already on top of this when you refer to being aware of something and compensating to overcome it.

id like to try one of those sad lights, have looked into them before, worth a shot i think

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    id like to try one of those sad lights, have looked into them before, worth a shot i think

The year I was finally diagnosed with the ME and understood I tried a lamp but with ME light sensitivity is very painful. Irony!

Sitting in front of a lamp with your eyes closed! lol so I gave it to someone who could benefit

I tried also 5HTP and while it helped one year the next it had strange side effects,

I read up on it carefully and fully. And know now why a sunny day in winter does not help. The "lux" factor.

And life here is so seasonal and weather dominated.

Now I understand and out here am in a position where no one can make any demands on me. I can rest and take care and enjoy what I have in my own way. I do have distant "family" who totally understand. THAT is essential and I am here for others.

Because this is related to M.E that idea does not work. Hibernation is the key. The energy just switches off. Not that I have much to start with!

But maybe some reading this are less aware? Depression can be seasonally affected.

Graces7 wrote: »
    The year I was finally diagnosed with the ME and understood I tried a lamp but with ME light sensitivity is very painful. Irony!

Sitting in front of a lamp with your eyes closed! lol so I gave it to someone who could benefit

I tried also 5HTP and while it helped one year the next it had strange side effects,

I read up on it carefully and fully. And know now why a sunny day in winter does not help. The "lux" factor.

And life here is so seasonal and weather dominated.

Now I understand and out here am in a position where no one can make any demands on me. I can rest and take care and enjoy what I have in my own way. I do have distant "family" who totally understand. THAT is essential and I am here for others.

im autistic myself, and suffer mildly from photo-sensitivity, its very uncomfortable

• Advertisement

What I am trying to express is that our bodies are so closely interwoven with our minds that it gets hard to perceive what pain /symptoms /emotions and mental issues are. Often we have some physical issues that affect our minds,

A friend told me that her father had been diagnosed with agoraphobia as whereas usually he loved going out now he stayed home, and he was being put on anti-ds. I asked if he had had a very thorough physical check. She made sure of that; emerged he had mild Parkinsons, easily controlled with vitamins. Hence the change in behaviour .

That kind of thing happened to me way back before the M.E was diagnosed. Now I know that a trip to town would be hard as I am always exhausted.

All so complicated ! Hard to discern.

Stay well; stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I'm in a bit of a rut, I've an exam in 1.5 weeks and I've no hope of passing it. My brain just isn't working for some reason, any advice anyone?

I'm in a bit of a rut, I've an exam in 1.5 weeks and I've no hope of passing it. My brain just isn't working for some reason, any advice anyone?

do you like listening to audio in the form of podcasts etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

First of all, switch off that voice that says you won't pass it! Set yourself some simple goals like finding out three pieces of specific information and go about it that way. I've been where you are and surprised myself. You'll be amazed by what you can do. Rather than trying to take in a pile of info set about getting specific facts, the orher knowledhe sort of stick to these.If you've got past papers they will guide you.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Day 16 on citalopram 10mg - im actually doing this! Had a very heavy head today, first time since starting this. Cant be bothered to move either. Not in a negative way just a cosy weird way. Hoping its the meds doing something but could just be the long catch up sleep i had last night.

• Advertisement

fr336 wrote:
    Day 16 on citalopram 10mg - im actually doing this! Had a very heavy head today, first time since staring this. Cant be bothered to move either. Not in a negative way just a cosy weird way. Hoping its the meds doing something but could just be the long catch up sleep i had last night.

Unfortunately I think I may need to change my meds, side effects are getting a little too much now, I'm getting blurred vision from time to time

Unfortunately I think I may need to change my meds, side effects are getting a little too much now, I'm getting blurred vision from time to time

Sorry to hear that wanderer blurred vision isnt acceptable. Have you tried other meds in the past?

fr336 wrote:
    Sorry to hear that wanderer blurred vision isnt acceptable. Have you tried other meds in the past?

No, my current is my first ssri, I'm reluctant to change, but I may have to, wonder would a reduction in dosage solve the vision issues

No, my current is my first ssri, I'm reluctant to change, but I may have to, wonder would a reduction in dosage solve the vision issues

Definitely worth a try what dose are you on now?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I do hope you and your doc can solve it quickly, disheartening when things don't feel to be working. Kind of relentless depression here lately, always makes me question everything i've done to this point.

fr336 wrote:
    Definitely worth a try what dose are you on now?

Its a different dosage method to your own, 150mg, therapeutic range

Its a different dosage method to your own, 150mg, therapeutic range

Hmm anything youve started or done that could be interacting? Defo speak to your doc dont leave it things can get us down more than we think i get dry eyes and its not ideal

I do hope you and your doc can solve it quickly, disheartening when things don't feel to be working. Kind of relentless depression here lately, always makes me question everything i've done to this point.

I'm sorry to hear that, it's a dreadful pain, impossible to explain, only truly understood by other sufferers, I just hate it. Sadly the medication is working wonders, I felt it's effects almost immediately, pre therapeutic range

fr336 wrote:
    Hmm anything youve started or done that could be interacting? Defo speak to your doc dont leave it things can get us down more than we think i get dry eyes and its not ideal

I can't think of anything only the medication, doc said it's the one he's found the least issues with, hence my reluctance to change, I regularly flush my eyes to prevent issues

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hopefully it'll be a simple fix for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

I can't think of anything only the medication, doc said it's the one he's found the least issues with, hence my reluctance to change, I regularly flush my eyes to prevent issues
    My doctor said the same, is it Sertraline?
    I have tinnitus from 3 doses of it. Some people are just unlucky with them.

Meeoow wrote:
    My doctor said the same, is it Sertraline? I have tinnitus from 3 doses of it. Some people are just unlucky with them.

Tis indeed, any recommendations?

Tis indeed, any recommendations?

No, sorry. I think all SSRIs can have side effects. I have depression 20 years, and have been on them before, with no problems.
    I'm trying to pull myself out of it without medicine this time, but I'm struggling.

Meeoow wrote: »
    No, sorry. I think all SSRIs can have side effects. I have depression 20 years, and have been on them before, with no problems.
    I'm trying to pull myself out of it without medicine this time, but I'm struggling.

i hear you, im probably struggling on and off since childhood, if im honest with myself

I live with it most of the time. I guess that most people wouldn't believe me if I told them I had depression, cause I hide it well. But I developed anxiety about 10 years ago, and I find it much harder to manage. I let myself get really down, then kind of break down. I'm at that stage now. I hate it.

Day 17 of citalopram. Stomach upset, feel shivery and under the weather. Yet yesterday found sex drive had returned a bit :pac: Have i just got a bug or something as i sailed through the first two weeks with barely any side effects.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It's been a difficult few days, not helped by bad sleep. I thought the middle of last week was an actual turning point as things seemed to lift, but feel back to square one now. Slept a little better last night. I'm off work tomorrow, typically don't sleep well Sunday into Monday, though. Shattered, same as before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

fr336 wrote: »
    Day 17 of citalopram. Stomach upset, feel shivery and under the weather. Yet yesterday found sex drive had returned a bit :pac: Have i just got a bug or something as i sailed through the first two weeks with barely any side effects.

That sounds more like a bug. Hope nothing drastic. How's the mood? Have you had any 'sunshine breaking through the cloud' interludes? When I first started taking Prozac, about 8 years ago now, I was having a very rough time to begin with. Nausea and bouts of yawning and feeling doped up. About 3 weeks in I got my first short lived taste of what it felt like when they worked - clear headed, calm, and content. I had forgotten what it felt like to feel 'normal' which is the ultimate point of taking SSRI'so. It convinced me to stick with it and I never regretted that decision. My only regret is struggling through some incredibly dark episodes of depression while stubbornly refusing pharmaceutical intervention. I will never do that again.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    That sounds more like a bug. Hope nothing drastic. How's the mood? Have you had any 'sunshine breaking through the cloud' interludes? When I first started taking Prozac, about 8 years ago now, I was having a very rough time to begin with. Nausea and bouts of yawning and feeling doped up. About 3 weeks in I got my first short lived taste of what it felt like when they worked - clear headed, calm, and content. I had forgotten what it felt like to feel 'normal' which is the ultimate point of taking SSRI'so. It convinced me to stick with it and I never regretted that decision. My only regret is struggling through some incredibly dark episodes of depression while stubbornly refusing pharmaceutical intervention. I will never do that again.

Ive been checking my sense of smell to rule out covid lol...its fine. No cough either.

The two weeks have been okay. Still nowhere close to normal, but yes one or two very brief sunshine moments. Quite literally. One morning i went out and it was really sunny as i walked to work. Usually the heat would stress me out but now i was thinking "this is a nice day isnt it". I just felt it naturally no forcing it. I will carry on and go up to 20mg probably...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

More Music for the soul ...........

Bliss
    https://youtu.be/8nS1K-ke_gg

Gregorian Chants by Angelic Choir
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYeRKozxlA

Positive Energy Music
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jXxO9YO4Ig

Advertisement