Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

TheLight

Give it a listen, very powerful lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

penovine wrote: »
    thanks - i know.. but i would rather try and determine what it is exactly that I have exactly before going down the meds route.. or at least get some clinical evidence of damage,.

my neuropathy seems to be small fibre... burning all over hands and legs and stiffness etc..

its not in specific areas so nerve blocks etc don't apply..

i am trying to eat better - less sugar etc.. as it makes it worse - inflammatory agent..

taking some nutritional supplements too - no B6 mind you - they think that B6 might be the cause of all this - mine is sky high and it won't come down to normal level even though I am no longer on a B6 supplement (was in the past - little did i know that too much B6 can cause Neuropathy)

Hi penovine,

Greens are a natural anti inflammatory e.g spinach and broccoli. If legs and lower back at you, stretch out the legs and glutes.

Have similar to yourself, have had 12 procedures on the spine. At one stage I took over 500 ibuprofen in a year. I know this cause I bought a 500 pack bottle in the US and was gone before had been back 10months. Thankfully now take a handful a month and some months none.

But mentally it can be exhausting, don't want to elaborate but let's leave it at it got bad!!

I do a tuina massage every month, sometimes cupping and learned some acupuncture plus a bit of stretching and when gyms were open a lot of weights. Now that I cant go gym, I have lots of recurring pains but will pass.

Because of the last paragraph, I never thought I could lift heavy again but before lockdown was doing sets of 100kg DLs and I haven't had to have a spinal procedure for 4 years from next week (been close though)!!

Once you get on track it will eventually fall into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Day 6 of citalopram and the dry mouth that has accompanied my anxiety for years appears to be disappearing....interesting...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Good on you, hopefully you're getting enough sleep.

I am surprisingly grem. Takes a bit longer to get to sleep at night then I get up early to take the tablet then go back for an hour or two. Not perfect as I have very sensitive sleep but miles better than insomnia I had years ago - and that was without taking any meds

• Advertisement

And you were right! You said it'd pass! First night was bad enough but been uphill since

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

fr336 wrote: »
    And you were right! You said it'd pass! First night was bad enough but been uphill since

It's hard to hear it because it sounds like a lame platitude but it's true in most cases.

It's hard to hear it because it sounds like a lame platitude but it's true in most cases.

Yes you think people are just trying to be nice but in most cases people are fine. It's natural the worst cases will be documented online. It's still early days and I'm only on 10mg at the moment but I've got that elusive thing again - hope.

People are quicker to complain than congratulate I find

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Hey Guys,

I have been very down and depressed for the last 2 days like I can never remember.
    I'm crying on and off almost constantly for the last 2 days. I feel a very slight sense of panic that won't go away, Experiencing very bad thoughts of death also.

It's been years since I has this panic feeling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

I'm the same the last few months. I think lockdown isn't helping. I let things build up, then just break down. I started antidepressants 3 months ago, and they gave me tinnitus. So I had to stop them.

Meeoow wrote: »
    I'm the same the last few months. I think lockdown isn't helping. I let things build up, then just break down. I started antidepressants 3 months ago, and they gave me tinnitus. So I had to stop them.

I've been working through the lockdown so things are fairly normal for me. Really struggling though.

carzony wrote: »
    I've been working through the lockdown so things are fairly normal for me. Really struggling though.

Working through has been stressful for me, I'm swaying back and forth a bit. Stay posting here anyway, are you in touch with a GP or local service?

Meeoow wrote: »

Did your doc or whoever you deal with try anything else?.

are you in touch with a GP or local service?

No. I have not visited the GP for any mental health issues for years now. I'm not sure what has brought this on but I can't see a way out of it.

No. I have not visited the GP for any mental health issues for years now. I'm not sure what has brought this on but I can't see a way out of it.

Perhaps time to speak to a professional if you are struggling, I know it's so much easier said than done..

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Did your doc or whoever you deal with try anything else?.

Referred to Ent to see if they can recommend an alternative. All SSRIs can cause tinnitus, so not sure what to do. I hate taking tablets, and they were a last resort. I feel like I need something to lift me. I am at counselling, and have improved my diet, no alcohol in months. But still I'm finding its not really helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Time to visit the gp my friend, the first visit is always the toughest, but they are there to support you and listen

Had a great high last night for a few hours. I felt normal for a while.

Trying my best Cope atm.. I'm back in work on Saturday, hopefully I'm able for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭statto25

Had a great high last night for a few hours. I felt normal for a while.

Trying my best Cope atm.. I'm back in work on Saturday, hopefully I'm able for it.

Did anything spark the high? If there was an event or some trigger maybe try and focus on that positive thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

high grade CBD oil is far far better for anxiety and depression that prescription pills, American CBD is what you want like Nu Leaf Naturals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭statto25

jonnny68 wrote: »
    high grade CBD oil is far far better for anxiety and depression that prescription pills, American CBD is what you want like Nu Leaf Naturals

There isnt near enough scientific evidence that CDB helps with Anxiety or Depression

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jonnny68 wrote: »

never used cbd, but im grateful for my ssri's, i did try alternative anti-depressants in the form of johns wort, they were okay, but had limitations, hence the move to ssri's

Day 7 on citalopram. Not as good as yesterday. Hard to keep track. Could be the med working, could be me having a good or bad day, or simple placebo. Doubt the last one though as it is so up and down (though never worse than i would be without the med). Only on 10mg at mo and guessing ill try 20mg after the two weeks are up

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fr336 wrote: »
    Day 7 on citalopram. Not as good as yesterday. Hard to keep track. Could be the med working, could be me having a good or bad day, or simple placebo. Doubt the last one though as it is so up and down (though never worse than i would be without the med). Only on 10mg at mo and guessing ill try 20mg after the two weeks are up

i started a sleep and mood diary a few months ago, its generally recommended by therapists, might be worth looking into for yourself

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i started a sleep and mood diary a few months ago, its generally recommended by therapists, might be worth looking into for yourself

Still dont have the energy for that lol taking things very easy. Work and sleep for me

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The pandemic has made the entire world a hard, harsh and dangerous place. Period. Just be easy on you? Know that these are taxing times.

Out here I am in the safest place in one of the safest countries in the world and covid has of course affected how I think and react, and my health in all areas. Even the severe arthritis I now have is new with this situation! ( no covid out here and I was already "cocooning" as with severe M.E my immune system is down)

Some are doing the " eat , drink and be merry" reaction.

We all and each have a different response .But we all do have a response. That is normal. It helped me when someone far wiser than I will ever be pointed that out to me. Passing the wisdom on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Pardon the turn of phrase, but what works for the goose doesnt' always work for the gander.

While I have taken over the counter (legal, never turned to anything illegal) stuff for my depression, anxiety, and OCD, I don't discuss it on here because I know we're all different, what works for me doesnt' work for everyone.

I know soothing scents, like lavender, can help-but those are sprayed on pillows or handkerchiefs. Nothing one ingests.

Quick tip:

For anyone who may feel lonely (me at present) and dealing with our issues, then please stay away from those dating sites. Tinder, POF etc.. I joined last week and the lack of replies and compatible people on there is very sad. and doesn't help matters tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Quick tip:

For anyone who may feel lonely (me at present) and dealing with our issues, then please stay away from those dating sites. Tinder, POF etc.. I joined last week and the lack of replies and compatible people on there is very sad. and doesn't help matters tbh

I know not to sign up to those sites. I'm honest with myself. I make a terrible first impression. I find I have to build up trust and friendships. (Trust that's legit trust, not some cloak and daggers nonsense).

If one makes a bad first impression, it's not a lot of hard work to work back from that.
    We're all fallible.

Advertisement