Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

carzony wrote: »
    Quick tip:

For anyone who may feel lonely (me at present) and dealing with our issues, then please stay away from those dating sites. Tinder, POF etc.. I joined last week and the lack of replies and compatible people on there is very sad. and doesn't help matters tbh

I always end up looking at those sites after talking to someone and they tell me about all the dates they're getting, only to quickly realise why I quickly ran away from them once I restart a profile.

People always recommend Bumble but I don't see any difference between that and Tinder. It's still the usual craic for me and just isn't worth triggering any FURTHER anxiety in me.

I was never really good at connecting to my peers either I'm real life or online. I'm a old fogie before my time at heart and happiest when not feeling like I have to catch up on what I'm "supposed" to be doing at this stage of my life.

Sorry, didn't introduce myself to the thread....long time struggler with the inner critical voice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Hi, I’ve recently been put on 10mg of Lexapro to deal with some ongoing anxiety I’ve had for last 2 years. I would have bouts on and off of not sleeping and eating. My doctor thought it would be good to take a medicated approach temporarily and look at being on it 3-6months as my anxiety is more triggered by circumstances at the moment which we expect to change in the next few months. I’m only a week in and luckily no side affects but starting to feel if I should keep managing without medication. I’m still no comfortable with medication.

She said she will check in with me at week 2. And I’m wondering about saying I want to go off then.

I’m reading stories about coming off it being difficult but I’m hoping after two weeks I should be okay? Anybody have experience with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Dolbhad wrote: »
    Hi, I’ve recently been put on 10mg of Lexapro to deal with some ongoing anxiety I’ve had for last 2 years. I would have bouts on and off of not sleeping and eating. My doctor thought it would be good to take a medicated approach temporarily and look at being on it 3-6months as my anxiety is more triggered by circumstances at the moment which we expect to change in the next few months. I’m only a week in and luckily no side affects but starting to feel if I should keep managing without medication. I’m still no comfortable with medication.

She said she will check in with me at week 2. And I’m wondering about saying I want to go off then.

I’m reading stories about coming off it being difficult but I’m hoping after two weeks I should be okay? Anybody have experience with this.

Best person to ask is your gp to be honest. It can take 8 weeks for an antidepressant to start to take effect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Back in work after 3 days off. I feel very strange, still not back to normal :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

carzony wrote: »
    Back in work after 3 days off. I feel very strange, still not back to normal :(

Maybe being back in work will give you some structure?

Been struggling myself, can't get into bed, then can't get out of it.. Mood swings and anxiety, fun times :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Been struggling myself, can't get into bed, then can't get out of it.. Mood swings and anxiety, fun times :rolleyes:

Same here. Its been a very strange/difficult week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I feel like nothing is behaving normally, from my own health to the weather to people in general, weird perceptions that leave this heightened anxiety

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I've been a bit hit and miss myself this last week or so.

Last Sunday, (15th, just for reference) woke up with a massive migraine. I partially blame thunder for it, as the day before there was seriously heavy thunder and boiling hot temperatures, as well as rain and so on.

(As a kid and a teenager, thunder used to always give me migraines-I have a few theories why, but they're theories). My brain had to reboot, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, I was all over the place. Like information wouldn't sink in, I had trouble understanding simple directions, literally confused at the slightest question.
    (Have not had a migraine that bad in years, so this was a real weird one).

Thursday I went to bed at 3pm, woke up at 1pm the following Friday. Definitely haven't had a day like that in a while now. Migraines can really mess your brain up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Given the way things are this is all to be expected. There is covid and there is coviditis.

A disgraceful admission for someone of my aged years, but since covid arrived - and we lost someone very dear to us in the very early stages - I am "comfort eating" . something I almost never did before. Every day starts with a bacon and sausage butty drizzled with honey and from then on.... It helps. There is sickness and fear and death everywhere. Much easier out here as we have no masks etc , How you cope out there is a sheer miracle of strength. WELL DONE!

The M.E is very bad too; so I am just going with it all. Had to increase pain meds . And no more walks or gardening. This is a long term stress situation and I wish the term " mental illness" would stop being used by experts when it is a normal and natural effect of a shattering situation.

Breakfast time here!

I'm off work now for a week. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

Before Christmas I suffered a terribly traumatic event and afterwards I began to suffer a variety of symptoms which my GP tells me are both anxiety and PTSD related. I had PTSD in the past from experiences in my childhood.

For the moment she is monitoring me every 2-3 months and has prescribed xanax and sleeping pills - both of which to be used sparingly - which I do. I can be ok for a few days then just get overwhelmed by the trauma (which was a life changing situation) and I just go down a hole into a very bad place. I see a counselor every 2 weeks (cant afford more often than that) and it helps too but I sort of feel like - the counselor cant UNDO what happened, no one can, so although I go there and talk about it, I dont really feel like Ive moved along. I still feel the same way about it.

Im female and my hormonal cycle definitely affects my mood, as I am always much worse just before my period.

The worst symptom for me is a sense of feeling unsafe. I quite literally flinch back from people as I think they are about to attack me. I hear voices outside my window and I perceive it as aggression - when in reality its a couple of people chatting normally. I have become hypervigilant (sp?), I must check my car is locked about 10 times. I check that my front and back doors are locked multiple times daily.

I also have other symptoms, auditory hallucinations, clenching my jaw at night, sleep disturbances, depersonalisation, "blank" patches where I seem to just lose time for hours and not know what I was doing.

Anyway - its very hard and covid has probably made it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I feel like nothing is behaving normally, from my own health to the weather to people in general, weird perceptions that leave this heightened anxiety

Its been a funny old year alright grem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭statto25

hayoc wrote: »
    Before Christmas I suffered a terribly traumatic event and afterwards I began to suffer a variety of symptoms which my GP tells me are both anxiety and PTSD related. I had PTSD in the past from experiences in my childhood.

For the moment she is monitoring me every 2-3 months and has prescribed xanax and sleeping pills - both of which to be used sparingly - which I do. I can be ok for a few days then just get overwhelmed by the trauma (which was a life changing situation) and I just go down a hole into a very bad place. I see a counselor every 2 weeks (cant afford more often than that) and it helps too but I sort of feel like - the counselor cant UNDO what happened, no one can, so although I go there and talk about it, I dont really feel like Ive moved along. I still feel the same way about it.

Im female and my hormonal cycle definitely affects my mood, as I am always much worse just before my period.

The worst symptom for me is a sense of feeling unsafe. I quite literally flinch back from people as I think they are about to attack me. I hear voices outside my window and I perceive it as aggression - when in reality its a couple of people chatting normally. I have become hypervigilant (sp?), I must check my car is locked about 10 times. I check that my front and back doors are locked multiple times daily.

I also have other symptoms, auditory hallucinations, clenching my jaw at night, sleep disturbances, depersonalisation, "blank" patches where I seem to just lose time for hours and not know what I was doing.

Anyway - its very hard and covid has probably made it worse.

I can relate to a hell of a lot of your past and current experiences so I understand what youre going through. It might seem like you're getting nowhere but you are gaining an understanding of yourself and why you feel the way you do and that's a good thing. Have you got any family or friends you can speak to also? Seeing the counsellor every 2 weeks is fine, I do the same myself but speaking in between with close folks helps too.

statto25 wrote: »
    I can relate to a hell of a lot of your past and current experiences so I understand what youre going through. It might seem like you're getting nowhere but you are gaining an understanding of yourself and why you feel the way you do and that's a good thing. Have you got any family or friends you can speak to also? Seeing the counsellor every 2 weeks is fine, I do the same myself but speaking in between with close folks helps too.

I feel like the counselling helps me because I dont always agree with the counsellor, but its useful for me to see a different perspective given constructively. And talking about how I feel can help organise my thoughts - even though I feel like I am either not moving or moving at a snails pace - or mostly, feeling like I am doing a bit better then sliding straight back to feeling terrible again out of nowhere.

I dont have any family at all, which has been difficult especially during lockdown - I had no "pod".

I do have good friends but I am mindful that I cannot be unloading on the same people all the time. People get compassion fatigue. Its also been going on a long time for me now and I know that people must wonder if Im ever going to "get over it" or "move on". Right now I feel like I cant ever get over it. Maybe I will move on, but I will be moving on a changed person than the one I was before it happened.

hayoc wrote: »
    I feel like the counselling helps me because I dont always agree with the counsellor, but its useful for me to see a different perspective given constructively. And talking about how I feel can help organise my thoughts - even though I feel like I am either not moving or moving at a snails pace - or mostly, feeling like I am doing a bit better then sliding straight back to feeling terrible again out of nowhere.

I dont have any family at all, which has been difficult especially during lockdown - I had no "pod".

I do have good friends but I am mindful that I cannot be unloading on the same people all the time. People get compassion fatigue. Its also been going on a long time for me now and I know that people must wonder if Im ever going to "get over it" or "move on". Right now I feel like I cant ever get over it. Maybe I will move on, but I will be moving on a changed person than the one I was before it happened.

I am the same, I'll never be the person I was 12 months ago. That feeling of feeling good right after a session and then something bringing you crashing down to reality will happen and the feeling is gone. CBT is a very useful tool for these type of situs. Talk to your counsellor about it and if it would work for you

I am the same, I'll never be the person I was 12 months ago. That feeling of feeling good right after a session and then something bringing you crashing down to reality will happen and the feeling is gone. CBT is a very useful tool for these type of situs. Talk to your counsellor about it and if it would work for you

Thank you, I will.

Feeling empty

fr336 wrote: »
    Feeling empty

What's happening?

What's happening?

Nothing that's the problem haha

Day 12 of 10mg citalopram....

Heya, you're only in the first days of trying a new drug, it can take up to 8 weeks to get going. I'm rooting for you that you'll have a better quality of life very soon. Stay strong

• Advertisement

Heya, you're only in the first days of trying a new drug, it can take up to 8 weeks to get going. I'm rooting for you that you'll have a better quality of life very soon. Stay strong

Thank you, as you may know yourself getting simple messages like this are very much appreciated at times like this! I'm not even down its just like what am I doing today? I see other people with depression who can concentrate on things and have a half decent life, usually better than decent. Then there's me with a simple job and years of no progress. Still have no mental energy. I'll probably be fine tomorrow, cit hasn't made anything worse to be fair

Thank you, as you may know yourself getting simple messages like this are very much appreciated at times like this! I'm not even down its just like what am I doing today? I see other people with depression who can concentrate on things and have a half decent life, usually better than decent. Then there's me with a simple job and years of no progress. Still have no mental energy. I'll probably be fine tomorrow, cit hasn't made anything worse to be fair

And you'll join them soon in fulfilling your fullest ability! Stick with it. Have you tried counselling or anything?

And you'll join them soon in fulfilling your fullest ability! Stick with it. Have you tried counselling or anything?

Yeah got a bad one years ago but i just need to get to stage 1 to benefit i feel. Even writing on here is exhausting sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Hi I am on it years and find it v good for depression, but all I'll say is for me 10mg daily was no good and my phy upped it to 20mg after a few weeks so see how you get on the 20mg v 10 is very evident I found

If you have anxiety you may be given something else to help I am on quetiapine 25mg, 1 morning and 1 evening but that's only last few weeks not sure what to make of it yet

Feeling a little better now but still ''fragile''.

I never suffered with depression until now usually just anxiety.
    I didn't even eat for 3 days and hardly noticed.
    Really hoping it doesn't come back..

Thanks to all for the support here.... It really helped during my very dark days last week..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭worded

Things that help me shake the blues .....

Sea swimming - very good to uplift you. We all lived there a few million years ago, so it’s just going home for a little while :-)

Cycling - a dream state if you can make it to the Wicklow mountains with world class amazing scenery

Mushy season - see cycling above

Sport - Anything that gives an Adrenalin rush can be elevating

Music for the soul:

Bliss
    https://youtu.be/8nS1K-ke_gg

Soothing chant
    https://youtu.be/zSWUWPx2VeQ

Alien like drums
    https://youtu.be/xk3BvNLeNgw

Anyone else finding the shorter days and the dark weather affecting energy and mood? SAD is a feature of M.E and slowed down here. Knowing why feeling like this helps as I can compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Graces7 wrote:
    Anyone else finding the shorter days and the dark weather affecting energy and mood? SAD is a feature of M.E and slowed down here. Knowing why feeling like this helps as I can compensate.

I don’t suffer from sad, but I know people that do, it's a dreadful thing, I do think most slow to some degree during the darker months, including myself, look after yourself grace

Graces7 wrote: »

Yeah that period of June and July where the weather was horrible crushed me. When the fine weather appeared at the start of August it was like a huge rush of happiness. You can get out of the house and do things whether its going on the bike, cutting the lawn or even just eating out in the sunshine.

• Advertisement

Yeah that period of June and July where the weather was horrible crushed me. When the fine weather appeared at the start of August it was like a huge rush of happiness. You can get out of the house and do things whether its going on the bike, cutting the lawn or even just eating out in the sunshine.

My happiest memories that week are of taking a deckchair out and sitting in the sun knitting gazing at the ocean. Now the seasons are closing in. Not bad weather but seasonal shortening and diminution of the intensity and quality of light even when the sun is out..

Advertisement