Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Kramer wrote: »
    Carrying on from recent posts, I just checked the Ioniq again with Torque/OBD.
    Cumulative charge/discharge current are near identical - 20,800Ah odd.

Interesting :).

What OBD unit are you using with torque?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

In terms of running costs, I calculated it has cost €0.004/km in energy costs (night rate @ 7.5c/kWh & free Ecars/EasyGo etc.), €0.007/km in servicing costs (tyres & servicing) & saved over €1,000 in tolls, motor tax & parking.
    It probably all works out at 1c/km running cost.

Depreciation too should be very small, going by unkel's experience.

All in all, financially a great car & the added kudos of saving penguins :D.

lafors wrote: »
    What OBD unit are you using with torque?

It's just a generic ELM327 bluetooth unit, probably from Amazon or China, several years ago now. I think it was €5 or €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Where is your windscreen washer tank and brake fluid tank located in the ioniq?

Gael23 wrote: »
    Where is your windscreen washer tank and brake fluid tank located in the ioniq?

:confused:

Same as in any car, under the bonnet :confused:.

• Advertisement

Gees, no love for the Ioniq since unkel bailed out & jumped ship to Tesla :eek:.

So, following on from someone's question regarding their Ioniq & OBD data etc., I installed CanIoniq on my Android phone & was impressed with its GUI & presentation of Ioniq data.
    It's very like Leaf Spy & far better than the presentation of the Torque Pro app I used previously.

My fully charged Ioniq showing the top buffer - 100% SoC on GOM = 95% in BMS. Fully charged battery shows as 398v.
    8dIRFwy.jpg

Again, fully charged, all 96 cell pairs show at 4.14v with zero deviation - great indicator of longevity IMO.

OJ1VYX8.jpg

At 79% SoC indicated (GOM), pack voltage 373v, all cells showing at 3.88v. Again, zero deviation for all 96 cell pairs.

PByr9GE.jpg

State of Health = 100% approaching 49k on clock.

There are other screens/graphs within the app, all presented well & interesting for those with an analytical mind.

Altitude graph from phone's GPS which can be correlated with accelerator position, energy consumption, odometer etc.

WyQnixX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Kramer wrote: »
    Gees, no love for the Ioniq since unkel bailed out & jumped ship to Tesla :eek:

Nope, I'm still subscribed to this thread and I'll help out with any questions if I can

Ioniq is an excellent EV and you will never hear me say otherwise :)

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

unkel wrote: »

Ioniq is an excellent EV and you will never hear me say otherwise :)

... The 38.... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm of the same boat as Unkel.
    Ioniq 28 is the best non Tesla EV out there.
    38 is a sham

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

So I took the last 30 trips data (what the Ioniq records) and for 688km my average is 16.76kWh/100km

So actually working that out it's around 167km range I think.
    I'd say you're right then, clearer roads and a heavier than normal foot are the factors :o

Is there any way of clearing the memory of those trips? I'd be interested to see what the current distance is without driver influence :)

So interestingly enough I decided to do a test, I turned off regenerative braking, I always had it set to 3 (full). I've now turned it off completely.
    With it off I'm now getting 12kWh/100Km consistently on my ~60km return journey from work.
    That works out at a max range of ~233km. The range on the car on 100% is increasing day by day so it's obviously using those last 30 odd trips to calculate it.

I guess regenerative braking is useful for city driving but not for motorway driving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

So interestingly enough I decided to do a test, I turned off regenerative braking, I always had it set to 3 (full). I've now turned it off completely.
    With it off I'm now getting 12kWh/100Km consistently on my ~60km return journey from work.
    That works out at a max range of ~233km. The range on the car on 100% is increasing day by day so it's obviously using those last 30 odd trips to calculate it.

I guess regenerative braking is useful for city driving but not for motorway driving?

personally I would never have any regen on when on a motorway (unless it was very very congested).

From a pure physics pov the most efficient way to drive is always going to be minimal acceleration and minimal or zero breaking (through regen or traditional)

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'm of the same boat as Unkel.
    Ioniq 28 is the best non Tesla EV out there.
    38 is a sham

The dreaded second album

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I always drive with the least regen possible. It takes more power to build up the speed than regen can ever recover, so while regen is good for some situations, it's not good for most.

Coast on 0 regen as much as you can and use the paddles to slow you down when you need to. I know the brakes bring on regen, but not as efficiently as I can when I control it with the paddles.

Exactly. Regen braking is nowhere near 100% efficient, so it is only beneficial if you had to brake anyway, like coming to a stop for a traffic light. Everywhere else it wastes energy (and if you have to brake, then the brake pedal has a very high level of regen too, the friction brakes are rarely used). So if you want to maximise your range (not in city driving), switch off regen completely. This is also where Ioniq is best of all as it has incredibly low resistance when coasting.

In Ioniq I left my regen at 2, only to switch it off occasionally if I was a bit pushed for range or on long motorway journeys. But that was more laziness than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cluaindiuic

Relatively early on when I got my Ioniq I tried a couple of tests with the regen. I always felt you get better range with it fully turned off. You lose all coasting benefits when you have regen on. So I always have it at zero, except when rolling down the Connor pass. That's good fun with regen on.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bootser

Hi All,

just looking for a bit of your 'nous! Seen this ad and I'm wondering whats wrong with it?!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-ev-5dr-auto/24871330

Is this one to avoid? Is the price so low because of the mileage?!:confused:

It's very, very cheap. At that mileage (136k km) you almost certainly will have some noticeable degradation, but we are probably talking a range reduction of not much more than 20km here (giving you 180km instead of the original 200km or something of that order)

And for peace of mind, the car still has an additional 2 years of bumper to bumper manufacturers warranty and 5 years of battery warranty. I sure would buy it at that price, no problem.

bootser wrote: »
    Hi All,

just looking for a bit of your 'nous! Seen this ad and I'm wondering whats wrong with it?!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-ev-5dr-auto/24871330

Is this one to avoid? Is the price so low because of the mileage?!:confused:
    Please note €2,000 Scrappage Allowance included, full retail price €17,900

There's your hint there. Still an ok price given the high mileage.

That's some deal.

Wonder if he'd do a cash my way deal for my S.
    I do miss the Ioniq 28. But it's because I'm not driving as much these days with Covid. A gen1 leaf with 60km range would do me right now!

That's some deal.

Wonder if he'd do a cash my way deal for my S.
    I do miss the Ioniq 28.

I'm sure he would. He sold a Model S a few days ago (to one of the posters in here)

Remember why you got rid of the Ioniq though? Apart from needing to free up your financing you buy your house? The range wasn't quite enough for you (in winter at motorway speeds). Public fast charging hasn't improved much since then, but maybe there is a crucial new charger on one of your tighter routes?

But as a general rule, cash outflow for a small business like a second hand car dealer, is not good, so don't expect a good deal there. Sell your Model S on here for a decent price and you will probably do a better deal, not that I expect that Ioniq to hang around long...

• Advertisement

I'm sure he would. He sold a Model S a few days ago (to one of the posters in here)

Remember why you got rid of the Ioniq though? Apart from needing to free up your financing you buy your house? The range wasn't quite enough for you (in winter at motorway speeds). Public fast charging hasn't improved much since then, but maybe there is a crucial new charger on one of your tighter routes?

But as a general rule, cash outflow for a small business like a second hand car dealer, is not good, so don't expect a good deal there. Sell your Model S on here for a decent price and you will probably do a better deal, not that I expect that Ioniq to hang around long...

Yeah, Gorey and Athlone Ionity have removed that problem. Range wouldnt be an issue now.
    Ah I don't know, when/if we go back to 50k km a year I'm sure I'll be fine in the S, it's just annoying me sitting there saying "drive me"!

Who'd buy my S here anyway... sure all I get is anti tesla hate :P

Ah I don't know, when/if we go back to 50k km a year I'm sure I'll be fine in the S, it's just annoying me sitting there saying "drive me"!

Ah sure it could be worse. The big Tesla is costing just €0.30 in motor tax sitting there. I have looked at cars wasting away €5 a day in motor tax alone, doing nothing :(
    Who'd buy my S here anyway... sure all I get is anti tesla hate :P

I'd say you'd be surprised. For a realistic sales price there are always serious bargain hunters out there that can get their finances sorted at very short notice.

It's very, very cheap. At that mileage (136k km) you almost certainly will have some noticeable degradation, but we are probably talking a range reduction of not much more than 20km here (giving you 180km instead of the original 200km or something of that order)

And for peace of mind, the car still has an additional 2 years of bumper to bumper manufacturers warranty and 5 years of battery warranty. I sure would buy it at that price, no problem.

So, would there be an easy way to check the battery SOH? just look on the dash? and how does the battery warranty work? If it drops to a certain level within the 5 years will Hyundai replace it?
    Sorry for all the questions, never really looked into the Ioniq too much as felt it was too expensive for me(new or second-hand), but could possibly stretch at that price!

So, would there be an easy way to check the battery SOH?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113570721&postcount=9307

:)

and how does the battery warranty work? If it drops to a certain level within the 5 years will Hyundai replace it?

Yeah pretty much. And I think the warranty might be limited to 200k km too, whatever comes first. But in practice it is very unlikely you will need to get the battery replaced. Just have realistic expectations that the car will likely only have about 80% capacity when it is 10 years old with 300k km on it.

Just on the mileage , so you reckon it will have about 180km range now? Down to maybe 160km at 300k? TIA

Just on the mileage , so you reckon it will have about 180km range now? Down to maybe 160km at 300k? TIA

A YouTube EV reviewer got his hands on an ioniq with ~100k km on it, and somewhat crudely calculated about <10% battery degradation (if I remember correctly). YouTube Bjorn Nyland and you'll find him.

So at a guess, it'd have 10% degradation. Mine is at 65k and the battery says 100% health, but I've not manually seen how much the battery can hold (involves running the battery down to near 0 and charging up again to see how much power it consumes). I'm not bothered. Local driving in winter I get 170+km, summer is about 200km.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ballylad

Yes, I owned that ioniq, a fantastic deal for sure,, it owed me nothing as I bought it cheap as a demo model and got free charging in work. Didn’t notice any battery degradation, always charged at 7kw ac,, was getting 190km range in winter and 250km in summer although I only driven it in economy mode!

So, would there be an easy way to check the battery SOH? just look on the dash? and how does the battery warranty work? If it drops to a certain level within the 5 years will Hyundai replace it?
    Sorry for all the questions, never really looked into the Ioniq too much as felt it was too expensive for me(new or second-hand), but could possibly stretch at that price!

Ballylad wrote: »
    Yes, I owned that ioniq, a fantastic deal for sure,, it owed me nothing as I bought it cheap as a demo model and got free charging in work. Didn’t notice any battery degradation, always charged at 7kw ac,, was getting 190km range in winter and 250km in summer although I only driven it in economy mode!

Snap it up lads! A regular boardsie EV forum members car is nice piece of mind when buying an aged/high mileage/no warranty EV.

• Advertisement

Snap it up is right. The trade explains it, the Tesla you traded it for was pretty decent value too. I can't believe that Ioniq is not gone yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement