Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    60 to replace a 3 year old battery that is on its last legs is the least wasteful 60 he ever spent. Up to fricatus how he spends his money, but if he is smart, he won't be taking your advice ;)

How did you determine it’s on its last legs?

My advice is put it on a charger and see what the readings are then. Then put in a new one if it’s screwed.

Lead acid doesn’t die just because it hit 12v a few times.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Old Jim wrote: »
    Have a question on the re-sale value of the Ioniq.
    The last 3 cars I’ve bought have been 3yr olds and cost between 8 - 9.5K and two of those were from a garage.
    Average asking price of a 2017 Ioniq seems to be around 20K private.
    Is it simply the economics of supply and demand or have cars gotten a lot more expensive in recent years?
    Looking back over this thread, the 2017 Ioniq could be bought from 26K (with scrappage) to 28k new. Seems extraordinary low depreciation on a new car.
    I would be worried that the brunt of the depreciation will be felt by the 2nd owner as opposed to the 1st. How much will a 7 yr old Ioniq be worth, I wonder?
    What do people think?

The Ioniq new was 30-31k from my experience. The scrappage deals that some were able to get where as a result of EVs not being popular at the time, so garages did what they could to sell them. Now there's not enough.

EVs have typically held their values pretty well. This time last year 22k for a 2017 Ioniq in a private sale was a good deal. Now, 19-20k is a good deal. Over 3 years that's probably slower depreciation than average.

What did those 3 year old cars which cost 8-9.5k cost when brand new?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

The Ioniq new was 30-31k from my experience. The scrappage deals that some were able to get where as a result of EVs not being popular at the time, so garages did what they could to sell them. Now there's not enough.

EVs have typically held their values pretty well. This time last year 22k for a 2017 Ioniq in a private sale was a good deal. Now, 19-20k is a good deal. Over 3 years that's probably slower depreciation than average.

What did those 3 year old cars which cost 8-9.5k cost when brand new?

I got the 28k value from looking back over the thread. Most people seemed to pay this. It was mentioned that 28,995 was the RRP at the time. 26k was the exception alright.

I've never bought a new car so don't know what they cost but they were standard golf/focus segment petrol cars

I got the 28k value from looking back over the thread. Most people seemed to pay this. It was mentioned that 28,995 was the RRP at the time. 26k was the exception alright.

I've never bought a new car so don't know what they cost but they were standard golf/focus segment petrol cars

If you've read the thread, firstly fair play, but also, you've probably noticed a trend (albeit biased) that everyone's very happy with their Ioniqs, and many regard it as the best affordable EV to date. Undoubtedly that'll positively affect the second hand value of the car.

To answer your original question.
    Supply and demand is certainly a factor in helping EVs hold their value just a bit better than traditional cars.
    EVs are more expensive than ICE cars, so yeah, their value after 3 years is going to be more.
    Not sure I see a bump in depreciation just yet for the ioniq. There's 8 years of warranty (or 200,000km on the 28 ioniq) on the battery, so lots of security yet, and by 8 years anything which could of gone wrong should of gone wrong by then, and after 8 years it's value will have depreciated towards the "worth the risk for the low cost" end of the market anyways.

As for a 7 year old Ioniq... look at 7 year old leafs. Arguably worse looking, shorter range from release, no battery cooling (so more battery degradation as the year go by), slower to charge, yet it's commanding 7-8k asking prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Well, she did it!!!
    300km+ confirmed range on an Ioniq :eek:.

qEA1qtG.jpg

54.5km driven with 247km left - average speed 42km/h :cool:.

Pity it'll likely be parked up now for a while unless a new owner appears.
    https://carsireland.ie/2540636

:).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sure who's going to drive 300kms at 42km/h

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »

Need to see the GOM showing 300km before it's real.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

and to continue the term real world, real world means real world driving pattern.
    Hey, maybe you're saying the same thing and I'm just misreading.
    Moot point actually, wouldn't touch an EV without a remote access App

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Moot point actually, wouldn't touch an EV without a remote access App

You bought a Leaf instead of an Ioniq, because the Leaf has an app? :p

.......rushes off to bodge something up on Photoshop....... :D

• Advertisement

Apparently, Mrs. Kramer :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You bought a Leaf instead of an Ioniq, because the Leaf has an app? :p
    Leaf app may as well be named as app beginning with CR, takes days to load.
    All the while to tell you, hey I've sizzled away another kWh today!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭zg3409

Have a question on the re-sale value of the Ioniq.
    The last 3 cars I’ve bought have been 3yr olds and cost between 8 - 9.5K and two of those were from a garage.
    Average asking price of a 2017 Ioniq seems to be around 20K private.
    Is it simply the economics of supply and demand or have cars gotten a lot more expensive in recent years?
    Looking back over this thread, the 2017 Ioniq could be bought from 26K (with scrappage) to 28k new. Seems extraordinary low depreciation on a new car.
    I would be worried that the brunt of the depreciation will be felt by the 2nd owner as opposed to the 1st. How much will a 7 yr old Ioniq be worth, I wonder?
    What do people think?

Typically new petrol/diesel cars drop 20% in year 1 and 10% on all following years. Naturally exceptions apply such as cars with low demand on used market (big engines/tax/insurance) and cars with an over supply on used market e.g. focus and when rumours or public opinion changes such as dieselgate or talk of banning petrol or diesel or a looming recession (covit-19)

To try stay on the Ioniq topic, typically EVs have kept their value and there was over demand on used market and in some cases lack of supply on new market (e.g. Tesla model 3, kona/niro). Some used EVs went up in value as used demand has grown.

You should probably allow 2000 euro plus for depreciation annually, but also factor in fuel savings.

Oil prices are set to drop, so that might put people off buying EVs, and a recession is looming so that might mean less new cars entering market and a glut of reprocessed nearly new models with no demand from the public to buy them.

In terms of new Ioniq the 28kWh was 26,000 to 31,000, the new 38kWh model is 38,000 but presumably will be discounted if they can't sell them, which it seems they can't.

What seemed to help the Ioniq keep its value was the low numbers sold/available (resulting in hyundai & EV dealers importing used models from UK) and great feedback from owners saying range, bells and whistles and charging speed was better than 30kWh leaf.

The last time it was charged to 100% (last week, before the last trip with estimated 301.5km range), it showed 285km om the GOM.
    It would probably show close to 300km if fully charged now but as it won't be used for the next several days, it won't be charged.
    It wasn't ever let sit at a high SoC for too long.

edLtGdv.jpg

I might see what's the lowest I could get the GOM to show at 100% SoC when this lockdown eases (if it's not sold before then).
    I'm quite good at driving very inefficiently at times too :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Kramer wrote: »
    Well, she did it!!!
    300km+ confirmed range on an Ioniq :eek:.

qEA1qtG.jpg

54.5km driven with 247km left - average speed 42km/h :cool:.

Pity it'll likely be parked up now for a while unless a new owner appears.
    https://carsireland.ie/2540636

:).

How do you drive 54km at 42km/h without being blown off the road?

JPA wrote: »
    How do you drive 54km at 42km/h without being blown off the road?

It's averages. Including stopping time in heavy traffic, at traffic lights, etc. Over the 3 years I had mine - in Dublin city area traffic 95% of the time - my average speed overall wasn't an awful lot faster than that...

It's averages. Including stopping time in heavy traffic, at traffic lights, etc. Over the 3 years I had mine - in Dublin city area traffic 95% of the time - my average speed overall wasn't an awful lot faster than that...

Yup, you'd be surprised what your average speed is with a bit of city driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I do 150km round trip a day. Nearly all national road, My average speed is only 60 odd. Go through a few villages, traffic lights on junctions and roundabouts. All brings down the average speed.
    I'd love to see what her e-soul would get if it was all city driving.
    Wouldn't help me in my i3 though as I always drive it like I stole away from any lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Anyone any tips for good insurance for their ev? Mine is with Aviva but is up soon, and having no luck with regards decent priced quotes.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭zg3409

Anyone any tips for good insurance for their ev? Mine is with Aviva but is up soon, and having no luck with regards decent priced quotes.

Off topic, shop around, ring brokers, adding a second named driver that may never sit in vehicle can sometimes reduce premium. Play around with your job title may help. Try its for women (even if male) and axa, and also I find haggling and making up pretend quotes they match or beat can help. Finally go back to existing provider to see if they will match other quote to save hassle of switching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Mine was approx. €385 with Aviva last April with the Leaf and there wasn't much extra to pay when I changed to the Ioniq in late June/early July.

Renewal noticed arrived a few weeks ago for approx. €585 !! Almost 30 years on my own policy and never had a claim, f** that!!

Tried the old trick of keying in my details on the Aviva website to see if I could get it down but after spending time keying in all my details and hitting "Get Quote" it came back to say a quote couldn't be supplied so total waste of time.

Got a quote online from Allianz for just over €400 so went with that. Had also tried AA and was quoted €484. Didn't try anyone else. Wife as a named driver, fully comp and most of the add-ons.

Anyone using a broker these days?

What's peoples thinking around EVs being cheaper to insure? I don't see the reason for them being cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Less interest from boy racers (myself excluded of course).

General perception that they are driven by people with no interest in cars and in their seventies or with a crop of their own organic veg growing at home.

My >400hp , 0-60 in 4s Tesla was cheaper to insure than most cars I had in the couple of years before, that were nowhere close to those numbers. I had an e60 535d bmw (275 bhp, 0-60 in ~5s) and was loaded to hell with insuring it!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

It's all risk. There's some benefit that they don't breakdown, so less breakdown cover required. A certain type of driver has gone for EVs. Most companies only have a few years of data, and so far the risk for EVs is less than ICEs. This is a huge generalisation I know. But at the end of the day that's what they're going on. They have no idea how to characterise the power trains either. Engine cc usually gives nice correlation with BHP and risk.

The car is only a tiny proportion of car insurance risk. The driver profile is way more. Huge proportion of insurance costs are for third party damage/injury.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I had an e60 535d bmw (275 bhp, 0-60 in ~5s) and was loaded to hell with insuring it!

E60 535d is the new Honda Integra Type-R from an insurance point of view, very popular with a certain demographic :pac:

Before anyone blows a gasket, all essential journeys.........Mrs. K donned the green jersey (redeployed due to the bug).

No motorways, low average speed etc.

iIZ77nS.jpg

Your missus has a light foot :)

But yeah, that's pretty comprehensive support for what I've been saying for a long time. You can get 300km out of an Ioniq if you want, without resorting to hypermiling techniques. But not at motorway speeds or in winter obviously.

Stick above picture in your ad. Seriously. And explain that the car has 28kWh usable battery capacity. Take the weighted average of above figures and say that (i.e. 305km or whatever the figure is) is the typical range you've been getting lately

Haha, did it for you took 3 minutes. 306km is her weighted average range of Ioniq :)

Car is/was due its yearly service a few weeks ago, but with everything closed I didn't bother looking into it. Kearys emailed to say they're reopening for essential maintenance and pre-nct (I wouldn't count my car service as essential), so I contacted Hyundai.

In the agents own words - "I am not certain if it will affect your warranty". They're going to contact me about it and I guess try schedule a service. I've no intention of getting my car services under the current regulations though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

With the restrictions in place I'm only driving a few kms a day and only need to charge once a week or so. Everyday the car now says the battery auxillary was used to charge the 12v battery. Should I be worried? Should I bring the car out on a few longer drives to recharge the 12v battery fully or is the car just topping up the 12v as needed? Or will I need a new 12v soon! It's a 191. Anyone else having the same issue?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement