Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

ChaDeMo is only king because the ESB won't install new chargers, they've hit a dead end for a long time now and we're greatly behind and no private company nor garages would dare install chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Doesn't really matter why. It's here for the foreseeable!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Had a short drive today of the Ioniq BEV and its brilliant. Been a couple years since 48hr leaf test, but this is so much better. one significant issue with my growing family of 3 children, sports gear, picnic plus dog, the boot space is quite small relative to what we are used to, and quite a bit smaller than the Ioniq hybrid. Sadly I don't think it's going to suit us as a family vehicle. I may wait for the range increases in the Kangoo or env200.

I liked the paddle control for regen braking and especially liked being able to have it on zero. I didn't expect the paddles to rotate with steering wheel! I was looking for them while doing a turn and they were at 12 and 6 oclock.

No prob getting an extended test drive, but don't think I'll bother, but will take rest of family to view in case they feel they can adapt their lifestyle to suit the boot size.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,058 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What age are your kids and what boosters / restraints do they have, if any? And you reckon the 3 would fit in comfortably in the back? Boot space is not much of an issue for me. Waiting for an extended test drive myself. Hopefully get it booked in for the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭axe2grind

I didn't pay too much attention to rear seat space, but the car I drove did have a high back booster and an infant seat leaving room for small adult/large child in middle so probably similar to my Octavia, not great but kids tolerate it. The kids (14, 11 & 5) are keen to see it so they will appraise it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Alu

Had a drive in an Ioniq EV yesterday and was very impressed. Based on some of the UK car website reviews, I was expecting to be a bit small and awash with cheap plastic. Mind you, I don’t find my Prius (2010) too bad and it too gets slated by the same sites.

My first impressions were that the switches and controls are of very high quality – clearly Hyundai prefer real buttons over touch screen control for everything, which suits me (though there are a lot of buttons and switches to figure out). I only played with it briefly but the touch screen info/ navigation/ entertainment computer seemed very responsive and easy to navigate.

Seats were not leather as I expected (seems to have all the features of the top UK model apart from that) but are comfortable with lots of support (at least during my short drive). I was impressed by the amount of legroom in the front - it felt bigger than my Prius with as much if not more headroom. I’m 6’ 3” but even with the driver seat fully back I was comfortable sitting in the back seat. Again, based on some reports I expected to be bothered by the low roofline in the back but in reality I didn’t notice my head hitting the roof – I wouldn’t be sitting in the back seat anyway!

I just had a quick look in the boot (raining), it seemed shallow but otherwise big enough and easy to access. There’s also storage space below the boot floor. The boot contained a 3 pin connect EVSE and another cable (I didn’t open the bag). As expected, there was a puncture repair kit but no spare wheel.

The car was lovely to drive, in normal mode take-off acceleration was noticeably quick. Traffic was heavy so I didn’t get a chance to put my foot down but it gave the impression that it could move if necessary.

I tried regen at all levels, 3 was perfect for traffic but not being used to it I was more comfortable with 1 or 2. Turning regen off was strange as the brakes took more pressure than I expected to stop - possibly because it was a new car (?). I forgot to test lane assist but not sure if the conditions would’ve suited anyway.

I covered about 10km with heating on - it was cold, 6C, and raining. After the drive range had dropped by 8km, but as I said that was driving mostly in traffic so plenty of regen.

Overall I am very interested in buying an Ioniq and much preferred it to the Leaf SV I tested a while back. Aside from the reported longer range, I think the Ioniq looks better inside and out and has more toys. Then again I expect Nissan to release something new soon, and are reports of a higher range Ioniq before 2018, so will more than likely wait a bit longer before I buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No doubt, its a fast maturing tech. It's a personal choice for each person when they jump, but 2/3 years will have EVs suitable for the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Alu wrote: »
    I tried regen at all levels, 3 was perfect for traffic but not being used to it I was more comfortable with 1 or 2. Turning regen off was strange as the brakes took more pressure than I expected to stop - possibly because it was a new car (?).
    I guess you're used to the Prius where there would always be some regen when over 10km/h. Brake pedal sensitivity can vary significantly between different cars anyway - try driving an old Citroen with hydropneumatic suspension (Xantia, BX, CX, etc.) if you want to experience the other extreme!

Regarding interior: With the 3rd gen Prius they used a lot of rather thin, hard plant-based plastics to reduce weight and environmental impact during manufacturing. I'm sure similar has been done with the Ioniq for similar reasons - so I guess you're just used to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

Alu wrote:
    Seats were not leather as I expected (seems to have all the features of the top UK model apart from that) but are comfortable with lots of support (at least during my short drive). I was impressed by the amount of legroom in the front - it felt bigger than my Prius with as much if not more headroom. I’m 6’ 3†but even with the driver seat fully back I was comfortable sitting in the back seat. Again, based on some reports I expected to be bothered by the low roofline in the back but in reality I didn’t notice my head hitting the roof – I wouldn’t be sitting in the back seat anyway!

Thanks for the review. I felt the same away about the car and similar conclusions about waiting another year. I am only 5' 11" and in the back if I try to rest my head back on the headrest my head was also touching the roof. If car goes over a speed bump a little too fast with me in the back, there would be a lot of cursing.

I guess you're used to the Prius where there would always be some regen when over 10km/h. Brake pedal sensitivity can vary significantly between different cars anyway - try driving an old Citroen with hydropneumatic suspension (Xantia, BX, CX, etc.) if you want to experience the other extreme!

That’s probably it, just caught me by surprise after dropping the regen from level 2 straight to 0!
    Regarding interior: With the 3rd gen Prius they used a lot of rather thin, hard plant-based plastics to reduce weight and environmental impact during manufacturing. I'm sure similar has been done with the Ioniq for similar reasons - so I guess you're just used to it :)

Yeah, probably true! The Prius plastics are quite thin - it could be that the texture/ colouring hides that a bit because I don’t perceive a big difference in quality when I sit in a VW, Merc, etc. (gain might be just me as most reviews make a big deal of hard vs soft plastics).

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »
    Thanks for the review. I felt the same away about the car and similar conclusions about waiting another year. I am only 5' 11" and in the back if I try to rest my head back on the headrest my head was also touching the roof. If car goes over a speed bump a little too fast with me in the back, there would be a lot of cursing.

Good point, I hadn't thought about what it would be like as a tall passenger in the back over rough roads! Interestingly there are plans for an update in March which will increase ceiling space by 4cm - http://www.etnews.com/20170103000233 (Korean). I assume that'll require a modification to the battery pack which is under the back seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

So finally collected my Ioniq EV today from Murphy and Gunn in Rathgar. Have to say I'm very happy with it, so much fun driving home and checking out all the features.

The drive home was a distance of 64.2km according to the sat nav. This included a stretch on the M50 and N4 from Dundrum to the Kilcock exit. I also stopped off in. Liffey Valley on the way home to get a bite to eat, (and go to the Yankee shop for a car scent).

When leaving Murphy and Gunn, distance on battery was 212km. Driving on the M50 would have been at the 100km average, while probably averaged 110km on the N4, and also done a bit at 120 while overtaking. Turned on the heating for 15 minutes, temp at 21c during that time. Both wipers and lights were on auto, wipers came on a few times due to the sprinkling of rain that came down, and had regen at level 2. Radio was on for 90% of the time I was driving.

When I got home, distance remaining on battery was 139km. According to the usage on th dash, 13.6kw/100km.

So all in all, very happy with how the car and battery performed. Judging by today usage,I'll get 2 full days driving to every charge. The Almere I traded in was costing me anywhere between €280 - €400 per month in petrol.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

Congratulations on the new car! Do post some photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

Nice choice Fiery mutant, best of luck with her.

Driving the hybrid for the last 2 weeks, still retraining my lead foot tendencies, but overall I'm very impressed with it. I'm starting to get the hang of more efficient driving, scoring 6-7 out of 8 in the efficiency monitor on the dash, so I might be doing something right.

Took the car from Wicklow to head home, then on to Galway and back this weekend, it's filthy now :D

Nice one, well wear, seems very efficient !

One thing about the heater, cycling it on and off consumes a lot more energy because the car cools down and has to heat up again, Turn it on, leave it on, it takes a lot less energy to keep it warm than to have to keep warming it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

Nice one, well wear, seems very efficient !

One thing about the heater, cycling it on and off consumes a lot more energy because the car cools down and has to heat up again, Turn it on, leave it on, it takes a lot less energy to keep it warm than to have to keep warming it up.

Is this really the case with the leaf?
    Because from a basic thermodynamics perspective, I don't think it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

josip wrote: »
    Is this really the case with the leaf?
    Because from a basic thermodynamics perspective, I don't think it's true.

When the car is cold it uses a resistive heater to heat up quickly. Otherwise it uses the more efficient heat pump. So could drain battery more. I always leave the heating on in my car. Constant fresh air is better than stale air.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Fiery and Scan, best wishes on yer new motors.

So finally collected my Ioniq EV today from Murphy and Gunn in Rathgar. Have to say I'm very happy with it, so much fun driving home and checking out all the features.

The drive home was a distance of 64.2km according to the sat nav. This included a stretch on the M50 and N4 from Dundrum to the Kilcock exit. I also stopped off in. Liffey Valley on the way home to get a bite to eat, (and go to the Yankee shop for a car scent).

When leaving Murphy and Gunn, distance on battery was 212km. Driving on the M50 would have been at the 100km average, while probably averaged 110km on the N4, and also done a bit at 120 while overtaking. Turned on the heating for 15 minutes, temp at 21c during that time. Both wipers and lights were on auto, wipers came on a few times due to the sprinkling of rain that came down, and had regen at level 2. Radio was on for 90% of the time I was driving.

When I got home, distance remaining on battery was 139km. According to the usage on th dash, 13.6kw/100km.

So all in all, very happy with how the car and battery performed. Judging by today usage,I'll get 2 full days driving to every charge. The Almere I traded in was costing me anywhere between €280 - €400 per month in petrol.

Sounds great, every time I read posts like this I'm a little more tempted to take the plunge myself!

All the best with your new car - please keep us updated with how you find the range, charging, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Good luck with the new car and thanks for detailed feedback. We'd appreciate it here if you could provide some feedback in 2 months or so just to get an idea of performance. I test drove an Ioniq before Xmas and to be honest I liked it but it's the infrastructure supporting EVs in Ireland I'm more concerned about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

The Ioniq looks to have 28kwh battery available, which probably means it actually has a 30kwh battery pack installed. If so then that goes some way to explain why it has at least as much range as a 30kw Leaf. Personally i think the Ioniq will prove to be at least 30% better than the Leaf in terms of efficiency and range. The ioniq seems to be able to match the Leafs summer range in winter conditions, which leaves me to surmise that the Ioniq will have a range of somewhere in the region of 250km in warmer conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

macnab wrote: »
    The Ioniq looks to have 28kwh battery available, which probably means it actually has a 30kwh battery pack installed. If so then that goes some way to explain why it has at least as much range as a 30kw Leaf. Personally i think the Ioniq will prove to be at least 30% better than the Leaf in terms of efficiency and range. The ioniq seems to be able to match the Leafs summer range in winter conditions, which leaves me to surmise that the Ioniq will have a range of somewhere in the region of 250km in warmer conditions.

we shall see, as yet there is not enough real feedback as to range , under actual real life conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

TBi wrote: »
    When the car is cold it uses a resistive heater to heat up quickly. Otherwise it uses the more efficient heat pump. So could drain battery more. I always leave the heating on in my car. Constant fresh air is better than stale air.

I dont think there is any resistive heaters in the later Leafs

, in my 30Kwh, the heating whether ice cold outside ( like last week ) or other owes never has any great effect on range, the colder outside temp, might result in a 7Km range effect , and typically this falls quickly to 2-3Km when the cabin reaches temperature

The whole heater/air con issue simply isnt that , an issue , we just use it as we please

• Registered Users Posts: 65,058 ✭✭✭✭unkel

macnab wrote: »

The Ioniq has far better aerodynamics than the Leaf - this alone explains the superior motorway range at relatively decent speeds (110-120km/h)

It's also 60kg lighter than the Leaf (30kWh) and the regenerative braking seems to be more efficient / aggressive. Also the Leaf came out 7 years ago. That is a very long time in terms of an emerging mass market product like an EV. In that light, the Leaf is holding up remarkably well. But it is firmly yesterdays' technology...

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

I seen a video on YouTube where the Ioniq was CCS charging at 65-69KW up to 85% and dropped to 22KW all the way until 100%.
    It went from 10% to 100% in 30 minutes exactly.
    Really impressive.

boardzz wrote: »
    I seen a video on YouTube where the Ioniq was CCS charging at 65-69KW up to 85% and dropped to 22KW all the way until 100%.
    It went from 10% to 100% in 30 minutes exactly.
    Really impressive.

Impressive alright, I assume it was using a 100kW charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    It's also 60kg lighter than the Leaf (30kWh)...

Its 100kg based on the spec on their respective websites.

Thats alot of extra weight for the Leaf and the aerodynamics then as well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Wow, this sounds like a really nice, impressive car.

So close, but not quiet there yet for my needs *. But give it two years and a 40kwh battery and it sounds like it will be there and I'll be throwing my money at it.

* My mental good enough point is when I can do Dublin to Cork at motorway speeds without stopping.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the PHEV looks. Maybe the PHEV for 3 years and then change for a nice BEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

The Ioniq is the first EV I've seen that does not look ridiculous. It's the first EV that I would be happy to drive around in, all the rest, excluding tesla which are too expensive, seemed to be styled in a way that discourages rather than encourages purchasing one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,239 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

bk wrote: »
    Wow, this sounds like a really nice, impressive car.

So close, but not quiet there yet for my needs *. But give it two years and a 40kwh battery and it sounds like it will be there and I'll be throwing my money at it.

Almost the same for me. I'd prefer 50kwh though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement