Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

bk wrote: »
    Wait a second, I'm not saying it is ugly! But the Leaf is unarguably "odd looking"
    Sure -odd lucking or ugly - I won't contest either statement.
    As to your point, well the Leaf's odd looks mean it is less efficient at getting you from a to b then less "odd looking" cars like the Ionig and Tesla S.
    Sure, but you're missing my point. I mean relative to all aspects - and relative to the fact that the iconiq is brand new. I wouldn't buy either new - but I don't have the ability to buy the iconiq 2nd hand....yet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While clearly the Ioniq has a similar design as the Prius, I believe they have done a far better job at "disguising" it. The Prius is very boxy and square looking at the back, which doesn't gel well with it's sleeker shapes on the front and top.

The Ioniq designers have done a much better job breaking up the boxiness of the back and making it all blend better. The sleeker, LED lights, in an attractive horizontal design, versus the square vertical design of the Prius. Also the black "grill" at the bottom by the license plate and the gentle curves in the middle all help to make less square and "boring" looking.

The Ioniq is a smart design. Having said that, I think they could have done better with the front "grill" on the BEV version, the Hybrid "grill" looks far nicer IMO (yes, I know BEV's don't need a grill).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Alu

While clearly the Ioniq has a similar design as the Prius, I believe they have done a far better job at "disguising" it. The Prius is very boxy and square looking at the back, which doesn't gel well with it's sleeker shapes on the front and top.

The Ioniq designers have done a much better job breaking up the boxiness of the back and making it all blend better. The sleeker, LED lights, in an attractive horizontal design, versus the square vertical design of the Prius. Also the black "grill" at the bottom by the license plate and the gentle curves in the middle all help to make less square and "boring" looking.

The Ioniq is a smart design. Having said that, I think they could have done better with the front "grill" on the BEV version, the Hybrid "grill" looks far nicer IMO (yes, I know BEV's don't need a grill).

I think EV designers, including Tesla, are still struggling with how best to replace the grill with something that's both aeordynamic and nice to look at.

tesla-model-3-cual-sera-el-precio-600x240.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Alu wrote: »
    I think EV designers, including Tesla, are still struggling with how best to replace the grill with something that's both aeordynamic and nice to look at.

But it is so simple...

Boobie-Beanie_pinksheetsphotography2.jpg

Ticks all the boxes for me ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sure, but you're missing my point. I mean relative to all aspects - and relative to the fact that the iconiq is brand new. I wouldn't buy either new - but I don't have the ability to buy the iconiq 2nd hand....yet.

Ah, yes, we are looking at it from different perspectives. You are looking at your persoanl needs and what you can get now, which of course is completely understandable. While I'm looking at the big picture of the motor industry and what needs to be done to make EV's more popular to take over from ICE.

With the exception of Tesla, most companies have been making terrible looking EV's.

The only reason I can thing that they have done that is that they don't want their EV's to be too popular and take from their mainstream ICE sales.

The design of the Leaf, i3, etc. certainly don't have anything to do with aerodynamics or efficiency. In fact short of sticking batteries in a SUV or van, they are pretty much the least efficient design you could choose.

As we have seen from Tesla, the most efficient design is actually one that looks sleek and sporty, something that would be very popular with mainstream buyers. And I'm delighted to see Hyundai follow with a more affordable version of that concept.

Sure, in the long term we also need BEV SUV's, Van's, city cars, box cars, etc. But it never really made sense to start there, not if you really wanted EV's to be successful!

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Halogens? The Ioniq has LED lights, brighter, lasting longer and using a lot less power. Welcome to 2017 ;)

I never suggested the ioniq had halogens read my post again I think it started something like "compare to basic halogens" i was merely stating the fact that lights don't matter regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

The only reason I can thing that they have done that is that they don't want their EV's to be too popular and take from their mainstream ICE sales.
    Quite possibly - although it seems a foregone conclusion that they have to embrace it - with Tesla being the industry driver....?

I think it may be something to do with what was suggested (by you or someone else) - they used the synergy of the existing base of another vehicle and tacked the Leaf on top of it. We have to bear in mind that the Leaf is old at this point. It's been (relatively) successful by comparison with others. Comparing it with what is just coming out isn't necessarily fair.

Yes, you could take the view that they should now change their offering to meet the competition but I'd imagine it's not that simple. Perhaps they want to sweat their existing capital expenditure and try and get as much out of what they've got right now (with facelifts and other minor improvements) for the time being before starting afresh with a brand new EV?

....or - as per someones suggestion - maybe they're looking at a strategic shift from BEV to PHEV? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Which echoes Elon Musk's point about the approach of Tesla Vs the others - EVs have to work for Tesla, there is no other strategy.

For the others, well ...

Car manufacturers will make better electrics if the demands is there and if Governments clamp down on emissions and get rid of diesel once and for all.

Truth be told Nissan are holding off with Leaf II until Trump gets established in his new position, they're probably thinking that he will considerably relax emissions laws and fuel efficiency standards and also tax on ICE's.

I don't know for a fact, but the U.S could be the Leafs largest market and if Trump does try to kill electrics then Nissan simply might throw in the towel altogether, who knows. He's hell bent on going after the EPA also. But the reality might be entirely different. But it could very well be that Nissan are holding off for a while to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

Truth be told Nissan are holding off with Leaf II until Trump gets established in his new position, they're probably thinking that he will considerably relax emissions laws and fuel efficiency standards and also tax on ICE's.

Trump has also brought Musk into his advisory team - although I am not sure if Trump has it in him to actually list to the advice that will come out of such a team.. interesting times indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Drove the Ioniq EV for about 160km since yesterday. Mix of all sorts of roads, town driving, up the Dublin mountains, and motorway (120km/h). And I drove it hard. Harder than I would have driven my normal car. Plenty of foot down acceleration, had the car in sports mode most of the time. And the range went down by about 160km too. That is doubly impressive. Not only is the range indicator seemingly very accurate, but also that the car does have a substantial range. There's no doubt in my mind the car can come very close to the promised 280km range if you don't push it like I did

Now for some negatives. This is a cheap car. It looks cheap and it feels cheap. The interior is cheap, the materials are cheap and the seats are basic and cheap. Not much back support there either. Cheap. But not quite so cheap it is nasty. My last 10 or so main cars were mainly BMWs, with a Saab, Rover and a Jaguar thrown in, so I guess I'm used to substantially better interiors. I guess if you came from another cheap car like a Toyota Avensis or a Skoda Octavia, Nissan Leaf, you would perceive of the car being in about the same class.

The car is loaded with bells & whistles as standard, nothing is an optional extra. I won't go into the details much, but everything you expect is there and then some. LED lights, active cruise control with lane assist (something not even standard on some €50k cars, never mind a car half that money), 8" touch screen satnav, rear camera with radar warnings, bluetooth, Android auto / Apple carplay, wireless charging of your phone. The latter actually works amazingly well. The phone easily slots in at an angle and charges without interruption. The regenerative braking level can be controlled by steering wheel paddles. There are 4 settings from 0 (coasting like a manual car not in gear), 1 (coasting like an automatic car in drive), 2 and 3 for active and aggressive regen braking. Use whatever you like. I quite like level 2 and 3 myself. Herself preferred 1 (it's like what she is used to)

The Ioniq drives well, it is light for an EV (1420kg) but has a very low centre of gravity because of the heavy battery. It accelerates from standstill very well, particularly in sport mode. This is a huge benefit of an EV. All the torque is available immediately. You'd need a 3l or 4l petrol engined car to keep up for the first bit off the lights. Then it flattens off, but the official 0-100km/h time is 9.9s is by no means slow. It is a lot quicker than the Leaf and funny enough the exact same time as my previous car, an '04 BMW 520i 2.2l 6 cylinder petrol automatic.

That said, it is not a sports car. It is not a drivers car. It has front wheel drive, which is never good, but less so again for a car with a good bit of torque. Accelerate hard from standstill while turning the steering wheel and the torque steer is so bad the car feels like it is going to eat its own wheel. Terrible. Treat it a bit gentler and it's fine, accelerating while in and coming out of a slower bend is actually quite fun. The car has a comfortable ride. Not too soft, but certainly not too hard either

Space is adequate for a family of 5 but I'm a bit concerned going forward 4 or 5 years when I'll have 3 teenagers in the back. Leg space is ok, but I don't think anyone over about 1.78m (5'10 or 5'11) in height would have enough head space. Boot is not big, but more than big enough for the weekly shop and the rear bench can be folded down (in two unequal parts). Fine for my needs, but if you use a large double buggy and some other stuff, you might be in trouble

Now the value for money. Let's not make any mistakes. This is an almost €40k retail price car. We get a €5k subsidy from the government and another €5k discount on the VRT. Then Hyundai give you another €4k scrappage, so this ends up as a €25k car (plus delivery charges and extras), which is incredible value for money, considering it costs just €120 to tax it, is in the cheapest insurance bracket, costs almost nothing in maintenance, and last but not least, you can charge this car up at home from empty to full for just €2. And completely free on any public charge point. You also get a free charging point installed at your home

5 year full warranty on the car and 8 years on the battery

The future was always going to be electric cars, but now there is one that actually looks and feels like a normal car. A car that is cheaper to own than a similar car with a fossil fuel burning engine. With a range that most people can easily live with. That future is the Hyundai Ioniq EV.

positron wrote: »
    Trump has also brought Musk into his advisory team - although I am not sure if Trump has it in him to actually list to the advice that will come out of such a team.. interesting times indeed!

Indeed , he also has Mary Barra CEO of GM and she's crying already to have emissions and fuel economy standards cut dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Thanks for the review unkel, very thorough.

I didn't pass one of you guys driving a white 162-D Ioniq on N4 Palmerstown yesterday, did I?

I think the Ioniq looks pretty good. I think silver with the black front panel looks the best:

2017-hyundai-ioniq-electric_100581832_l.jpg

Leaf is quoted as having around 11 seconds according to Nissan but I believe this has been independently tested as 10 or a fraction less, hardly a lot quicker ?

hardly a lot quicker ?

It's a little bit quicker all right. Though not as quick as the 85kW motor and lower weight would suggest.

Leaf is quoted as having around 11 seconds according to Nissan but I believe this has been independently tested as 10 or a fraction less, hardly a lot quicker ?

Significantly more weight and significantly less power. Ergo significantly (squared) slower than the Ioniq ;)

Significantly less power ? Significantly more weight ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Leaf

Quote.

The 2011/12 model Leaf has a top speed of over 150 km/h (93 mph). Unofficially, 0 to 97 km/h (0 to 60 mph) performance has been tested at 9.9 seconds.[9]

end quote.

Hardly "significantly faster"

cros13 wrote: »
    I didn't pass one of you guys driving a white 162-D Ioniq on N4 Palmerstown yesterday, did I?

I think the Ioniq looks pretty good. I think silver with the black front panel looks the best

No I had a black one with big decals on the sides saying it's an EV. Got quite a lot of looks :p

Silver (Platinum Silver metallic) is the one I thought I was going to mask the ugly plastic front the best, but there is also a colour more like gunmetal grey (Aurora Silver metallic), that looks to do that job even better. I thought that colour was reserved for the non-EV Ioniqs, but apparently not.

Hardly "significantly faster"

Yes it is dude. And I don't need a stopwatch or wikipedia for that. Get over it.

• Advertisement

LOL you're the one who needs to get over it mate, "significantly" LMAO

I thought that colour was reserved for the non-EV Ioniqs, but apparently not.

Could be.... that image is a production-intent car in north america.
    I think the black version of the plastic front makes the Ioniq look a bit more aggressive and the frosted white makes it look more boxy than the hybrid/plug-in...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yes it is dude. And I don't need a stopwatch or wikipedia for that. Get over it.

Why don't you two have it out down on the Carrigrohane Straight some night?
    Sort it out once and for all.
    Put a vid of it up on the dashcam thread.

Haha, if I end up buying one I'll accept the challenge :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

It's quicker than the Leaf.

You have a leaf, don't you?

The Ioniq is quicker than your car.

And lighter.

With better range.

Better warranty.

Better looking, by a long way.

But yeah, focus on 'significantly' if it makes you feel any better.

Ta for the review, Unkel.

Drove the Ioniq EV for about 160km since yesterday. Mix of all sorts of roads, town driving, up the Dublin mountains, and motorway (120km/h). And I drove it hard. Harder than I would have driven my normal car. Plenty of foot down acceleration, had the car in sports mode most of the time. And the range went down by about 160km too. That is doubly impressive. Not only is the range indicator seemingly very accurate, but also that the car does have a substantial range. There's no doubt in my mind the car can come very close to the promised 280km range if you don't push it like I did

Re-reading my post again, this can be interpreted as that I got 160km range out of the car. This was not the case. I got the car with 70 something procent charge and 142km range left. I drove it for about 120km (really hard) yesterday and had about 23km left. Both lights and heating (air conditioning) were on all the time.

I charged it on the granny cable last night for an hour or two and did the rest of the driving today.

I seriously think that if I drive the car in the same way as I drove my last few family cars, mostly in and around Dublin with a lot of short trips, I'd be getting well over 200km, possibly very close to the 280km official range.

I'd say anyone into eco driving (but not a hypermiling nutter with their antisocial pulse and glide behaviour on the open road) will get the full range without too much effort

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Nice review of Ioniq but you don't need a 3l or 4l car to match it, my 1.6l petrol Megane has exact same Torque as my leaf had 280nm and the 0 to 100km is 7 seconds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Are we in the 'mine is bigger than yours'?

Villain wrote: »
    Nice review of Ioniq but you don't need a 3l or 4l car to match it, my 1.6l petrol Megane has exact same Torque as my leaf had 280nm and the 0 to 100km is 7 seconds :D

You missed my point entirely! And the main reason I used to own 3l or 4l cars for a long time

A modern small engined turbo charged engine has a tiny amount of torque at idle. So there is nothing in the first bit away from the lights. Now I know at some point the turbocharger compensates for that, showing decent 0-100km/h figures, but the start off is poor.

But I guess you know all that having owned a Leaf and all ;)

• Advertisement

I bet no one else in Ireland has these two cars on their driveway :p

406777.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement