Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Bigus

I think you've a safe bet there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭stesaurus

unkel wrote: »
    Drove the Ioniq EV for about 160km since yesterday. Mix of all sorts of roads, town driving, up the Dublin mountains, and motorway (120km/h). And I drove it hard. Harder than I would have driven my normal car. Plenty of foot down acceleration, had the car in sports mode most of the time. And the range went down by about 160km too. That is doubly impressive. Not only is the range indicator seemingly very accurate, but also that the car does have a substantial range. There's no doubt in my mind the car can come very close to the promised 280km range if you don't push it like I did

Now for some negatives. This is a cheap car. It looks cheap and it feels cheap. The interior is cheap, the materials are cheap and the seats are basic and cheap. Not much back support there either. Cheap. But not quite so cheap it is nasty. My last 10 or so main cars were mainly BMWs, with a Saab, Rover and a Jaguar thrown in, so I guess I'm used to substantially better interiors. I guess if you came from another cheap car like a Toyota Avensis or a Skoda Octavia, Nissan Leaf, you would perceive of the car being in about the same class.

The car is loaded with bells & whistles as standard, nothing is an optional extra. I won't go into the details much, but everything you expect is there and then some. LED lights, active cruise control with lane assist (something not even standard on some €50k cars, never mind a car half that money), 8" touch screen satnav, rear camera with radar warnings, bluetooth, Android auto / Apple carplay, wireless charging of your phone. The latter actually works amazingly well. The phone easily slots in at an angle and charges without interruption. The regenerative braking level can be controlled by steering wheel paddles. There are 4 settings from 0 (coasting like a manual car not in gear), 1 (coasting like an automatic car in drive), 2 and 3 for active and aggressive regen braking. Use whatever you like. I quite like level 2 and 3 myself. Herself preferred 1 (it's like what she is used to)

The Ioniq drives well, it is light for an EV (1420kg) but has a very low centre of gravity because of the heavy battery. It accelerates from standstill very well, particularly in sport mode. This is a huge benefit of an EV. All the torque is available immediately. You'd need a 3l or 4l petrol engined car to keep up for the first bit off the lights. Then it flattens off, but the official 0-100km/h time is 9.9s is by no means slow. It is a lot quicker than the Leaf and funny enough the exact same time as my previous car, an '04 BMW 520i 2.2l 6 cylinder petrol automatic.

That said, it is not a sports car. It is not a drivers car. It has front wheel drive, which is never good, but less so again for a car with a good bit of torque. Accelerate hard from standstill while turning the steering wheel and the torque steer is so bad the car feels like it is going to eat its own wheel. Terrible. Treat it a bit gentler and it's fine, accelerating while in and coming out of a slower bend is actually quite fun. The car has a comfortable ride. Not too soft, but certainly not too hard either

Space is adequate for a family of 5 but I'm a bit concerned going forward 4 or 5 years when I'll have 3 teenagers in the back. Leg space is ok, but I don't think anyone over about 1.78m (5'10 or 5'11) in height would have enough head space. Boot is not big, but more than big enough for the weekly shop and the rear bench can be folded down (in two unequal parts). Fine for my needs, but if you use a large double buggy and some other stuff, you might be in trouble

Now the value for money. Let's not make any mistakes. This is an almost €40k retail price car. We get a €5k subsidy from the government and another €5k discount on the VRT. Then Hyundai give you another €4k scrappage, so this ends up as a €25k car (plus delivery charges and extras), which is incredible value for money, considering it costs just €120 to tax it, is in the cheapest insurance bracket, costs almost nothing in maintenance, and last but not least, you can charge this car up at home from empty to full for just €2. And completely free on any public charge point. You also get a free charging point installed at your home

5 year full warranty on the car and 8 years on the battery

The future was always going to be electric cars, but now there is one that actually looks and feels like a normal car. A car that is cheaper to own than a similar car with a fossil fuel burning engine. With a range that most people can easily live with. That future is the Hyundai Ioniq EV.
    Great post. It's a pity so few on the main motors forum will see it though. You'd be someone with a good deal of respect there and could influence others to at least consider EVs.
    I wonder is there anything you could post up there that would be allowed to stay. Just to get a bit of interesting discussion going other than with just the usual folk in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'm surprised how good it looks in black in the pic, looks funky yet conservative at the same time. Almost has a 5 series GT vibe about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

You missed my point entirely! And the main reason I used to own 3l or 4l cars for a long time

A modern small engined turbo charged engine has a tiny amount of torque at idle. So there is nothing in the first bit away from the lights. Now I know at some point the turbocharger compensates for that, showing decent 0-100km/h figures, but the start off is poor.

But I guess you know all that having owned a Leaf and all ;)

Actually one thing that annoyed me about the Leaf was having to hold the brake at idle as it would a fair bit once you let off brake I know on the Tesla you can adjust that, what's it like on the Ioniq?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Got the charge point installed this morning. The guy doing the install said they are up the walls with them, can't keep them in stock, which is good news to hear so many buying EV.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭positron

That was quick! Any pics? What is involved in charge point installation - I am guessing they will have to wire a wallbox outside straight to the main box (possibly via attic etc?)

josip wrote: »
    Why don't you two have it out down on the Carrigrohane Straight some night?
    Sort it out once and for all.
    Put a vid of it up on the dashcam thread.

Can be done. :D

I see Leaf 24 Kwh weight 1493 Kg Ioniq 1475 Kg

Anyone have specs on the 30 Kwh Leaf ?

Arranging a test drive in the Ioniq through Michael Lyng in carlow, probably Tuesday. On my week off of course, but anyway. I'm going to drive it to work and back to see how it does. I'll drive it up at 100-110Kph and back 110-120 Kph.

Naturally it will give better range with the larger battery but to see the efficiency figures and try out that auto cruise !

I might even over take a car or two to see how "significantly" faster it is. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I see Leaf 24 Kwh weight 1493 Kg Ioniq 1475 Kg

Anyone have specs on the 30 Kwh Leaf ?

This is the Nissan specs doc for the Leaf and the one to use to compare to the Ioniq is the "Kerb Weight Tekna" under the 30kWh column (1535/1570)

406813.jpg

This is the official doc for Ioniq. The first two colums are for the hybrids. The last column in red is the EV.
    Again, Kerb Weight min/max is what you need to compare... 1420/1475

406814.jpg

The 30kWh Leaf is 100kg heavier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Drove the Ioniq EV for about 160km since yesterday. Mix of all sorts of roads, town driving, up the Dublin mountains, and motorway (120km/h). And I drove it hard. Harder than I would have driven my normal car. Plenty of foot down acceleration, had the car in sports mode most of the time. And the range went down by about 160km too. That is doubly impressive. Not only is the range indicator seemingly very accurate, but also that the car does have a substantial range. There's no doubt in my mind the car can come very close to the promised 280km range if you don't push it like I did

Now for some negatives. This is a cheap car. It looks cheap and it feels cheap. The interior is cheap, the materials are cheap and the seats are basic and cheap. Not much back support there either. Cheap. But not quite so cheap it is nasty. My last 10 or so main cars were mainly BMWs, with a Saab, Rover and a Jaguar thrown in, so I guess I'm used to substantially better interiors. I guess if you came from another cheap car like a Toyota Avensis or a Skoda Octavia, Nissan Leaf, you would perceive of the car being in about the same class.

The car is loaded with bells & whistles as standard, nothing is an optional extra. I won't go into the details much, but everything you expect is there and then some. LED lights, active cruise control with lane assist (something not even standard on some €50k cars, never mind a car half that money), 8" touch screen satnav, rear camera with radar warnings, bluetooth, Android auto / Apple carplay, wireless charging of your phone. The latter actually works amazingly well. The phone easily slots in at an angle and charges without interruption. The regenerative braking level can be controlled by steering wheel paddles. There are 4 settings from 0 (coasting like a manual car not in gear), 1 (coasting like an automatic car in drive), 2 and 3 for active and aggressive regen braking. Use whatever you like. I quite like level 2 and 3 myself. Herself preferred 1 (it's like what she is used to)

The Ioniq drives well, it is light for an EV (1420kg) but has a very low centre of gravity because of the heavy battery. It accelerates from standstill very well, particularly in sport mode. This is a huge benefit of an EV. All the torque is available immediately. You'd need a 3l or 4l petrol engined car to keep up for the first bit off the lights. Then it flattens off, but the official 0-100km/h time is 9.9s is by no means slow. It is a lot quicker than the Leaf and funny enough the exact same time as my previous car, an '04 BMW 520i 2.2l 6 cylinder petrol automatic.

That said, it is not a sports car. It is not a drivers car. It has front wheel drive, which is never good, but less so again for a car with a good bit of torque. Accelerate hard from standstill while turning the steering wheel and the torque steer is so bad the car feels like it is going to eat its own wheel. Terrible. Treat it a bit gentler and it's fine, accelerating while in and coming out of a slower bend is actually quite fun. The car has a comfortable ride. Not too soft, but certainly not too hard either

Space is adequate for a family of 5 but I'm a bit concerned going forward 4 or 5 years when I'll have 3 teenagers in the back. Leg space is ok, but I don't think anyone over about 1.78m (5'10 or 5'11) in height would have enough head space. Boot is not big, but more than big enough for the weekly shop and the rear bench can be folded down (in two unequal parts). Fine for my needs, but if you use a large double buggy and some other stuff, you might be in trouble

Now the value for money. Let's not make any mistakes. This is an almost €40k retail price car. We get a €5k subsidy from the government and another €5k discount on the VRT. Then Hyundai give you another €4k scrappage, so this ends up as a €25k car (plus delivery charges and extras), which is incredible value for money, considering it costs just €120 to tax it, is in the cheapest insurance bracket, costs almost nothing in maintenance, and last but not least, you can charge this car up at home from empty to full for just €2. And completely free on any public charge point. You also get a free charging point installed at your home

5 year full warranty on the car and 8 years on the battery

The future was always going to be electric cars, but now there is one that actually looks and feels like a normal car. A car that is cheaper to own than a similar car with a fossil fuel burning engine. With a range that most people can easily live with. That future is the Hyundai Ioniq EV.

All well said and done until you realise this is part of the Ioniq equation. Draw a line from Dublin to Galway and forget going too far north of it.

406816.JPG

Well if you can squeeze 200 Kms from the Ioniq by maybe sticking to 100 Kph I don't see much of an issue if someone doesn't frequently travel further, with a 30 min QC can reach perhaps another 150 kms.

Or one could wait until later this year to see if Hyundai upgrade the battery. 40 Kwh would give decent range in the ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Alu

I emailed ESB ecars recently regarding N3 and N4 fast charging , this was their reply:
    Thank you for your email.

ESB Ecars are currently coming to the end of the Fast Charger Roll Out and we have very few chargers left to install. We have identified a gap in the Cavan area and we are currently working to agree a site near Cavan town. We hope to have news on this shortly.

We are also reviewing the N4 route. The number of CCS vehicles has been very low to date and we will need to review this in the near future.

If you have any further queries, do not hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,
    The ESB ecars Team

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Well if you can squeeze 200 Kms from the Ioniq by maybe sticking to 100 Kph I don't see much of an issue

The Ioniq can do 220km at 110km/h (proven in tests), so the 174km between Castlebellingham and Laghey (Donegal) isn't an issue, bearing in mind that wouldn't be the natural way to go from say Dublin to most parts of Donegal

And that's by far the biggest distance in Ireland between 2 CCS chargers. So I'm the first to admit the CCS charger situation in this country is very short of adequate, but it's not a big problem either.

Well if you can squeeze 200 Kms from the Ioniq by maybe sticking to 100 Kph I don't see much of an issue if someone doesn't frequently travel further, with a 30 min QC can reach perhaps another 150 kms.

Or one could wait until later this year to see if Hyundai upgrade the battery. 40 Kwh would give decent range in the ioniq.

If you have no charger at your destination your effective range is only half as you have to get back again. Means the northwest of Ireland is essentially off bounds.

Even though it has longer range than the Leaf, you can still go further in the Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭josip

n97 mini wrote: »
    If you have no charger at your destination your effective range is only half as you have to get back again. Means the northwest of Ireland is essentially off bounds.

Even though it has longer range than the Leaf, you can still go further in the Leaf.

Ioniq strategy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-znjDGubE#t=3m50s

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Are we going to ignore the public type 2 chargers that exist?

I'm not sure there are many people going to drive from Dublin to the Northwest and only stay for 30 mins.

liamog wrote: »
    Are we going to ignore the public type 2 chargers that exist?

I'm not sure there are many people going to drive from Dublin to the Northwest and only stay for 30 mins.

Type-2 are destination chargers, they're too slow to use mid-journey.

If your destination has one, great, if not then take the ICE.

You would also need to factor in the reliability of chargers been blocked by an ICE or just a queue of EVs.

One of the few occasions I relied on an FCP left me 30 minutes late for my destination as the FCP had a queue and that was with me factoring in an extra 30 minutes to journey already.

The reports I got from Hyundai dealer who had driving the Ioniq for a few weeks were that 180km to 190km was the real range, not sure of how they drove it but if it's higher than that in 28kw this bodes very well for when they increase battery capacity.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Type-2 are destination chargers, they're too slow to use mid-journey.

If your destination has one, great, if not then take the ICE.

It just seems that some people are discounting the range because there isn't a fast charger at the destination and ignoring the destination chargers completely. Its not perfect but also not quite as doom and gloom.

I think there will be pressure on the charging network to supply more CCS. The German manufactures are behind it and will be lobbying. Ideally they should be injecting upgrade funds into the network. Especially given the desire to spread 350k CCS as the max charging standard.

Back on topic, Bjorn has a video of the Ioniq taking 70kw from a 100kw DC charger so it looks like that's the top figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭stesaurus

If all/most Hyundai garages would install a CCS charger then we'd be in great shape. We'd have Tralee, Wexford, Castlebar and another 3 in the midlands
    R2ba3lS.jpg

It just seems that some people are discounting the range because there isn't a fast charger at the destination and ignoring the destination chargers completely. Its not perfect but also not quite as doom and gloom.

I think there will be pressure on the charging network to supply more CCS. The German manufactures are behind it and will be lobbying. Ideally they should be injecting upgrade funds into the network. Especially given the desire to spread 350k CCS as the max charging standard.

Back on topic, Bjorn has a video of the Ioniq taking 70kw from a 100kw DC charger so it looks like that's the top figure.

Yeah I saw the video. I witnessed an Ioniq pull 50kw for a sustained period at an FCP here. Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ioniq EV bought :)

Well wear! Welcome to the future!

BTW, if you're on FB the two EV groups are worth joining.

I think it's very relevant to the Ioniq, now in fairness it was the first week Hyundai had the cars in dealers when I visited by my local dealer but he didn't know the FCP in the area wouldn't charge an Ioniq, the increased range on the cars will help reduce the impact in the future but for now the lack of CCS chargers and the lack of investment in the infrastructure is very relevant.

However the biggest issue I see for the Ioniq is the depreciation on the current model when the larger battery models are released, I would like to hope that Hyundai will look after early Ioniq adopters better than Nissan is with 24kw owners but it is only a hope!

BTW, if you're on FB the two EV groups are worth joining.

Prepare for some fun when you do join them, including loads of photos of cars at chargers, including those of EVs actually still charging but the owner isn't sitting in it :rolleyes:

Villain wrote: »
    Prepare for some fun when you do join them, including loads of photos of cars at chargers, including those of EVs actually still charging but the owner isn't sitting in it :rolleyes:

True, but there is some good stuff in there among the noise.

Any half decent town has a 22 Kw Dual outlet AC charge point or two. No major deal if you don't need to return very quickly as I expect most people won't.

When I'm going on longer trips I use the AC points, the 6.6 Kw in the leaf means no waiting at fast chargers for a lot of my driving. Unless of course there are no AC points within a convenient distance of where I need to go. But that isn't a common situation for me.

• Advertisement

Good man, welcome to the world of EV motoring, and to think of all the flack you gave me when I first brought up Electrics in the motors section of boards you O'l Divil you and look at you now !!! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement