Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Winner/Ryder Cup Captain/US Senior Open Champion 2022!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

-2 through 7 at French though is making a dogs dinner of the 8th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

No better man than Padraig to measure the real risk of contracting a virus. I'd let the medically qualified advise on that, and I'm sure he has. Honourable mention for Mrs. P.H. at this point too though. Now there's a woman who has her head screwed on. Good on you, Caroline.

The risk of getting it is known. 1 in 20 athletes at the Olympics will get it. The risk of dying of it is very low. But exists.

If the Olympics were on in my back garden I would draw the curtains. Fully understand golfers who have no interest in what many of us regard as a worthless golf competition, if there were no such risk attached. With the risk, then certainly prudent for anyone with such a view of it to stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

The risk of getting it is known. 1 in 20 athletes at the Olympics will get it. The risk of dying of it is very low. But exists.

If the Olympics were on in my back garden I would draw the curtains. Fully understand golfers who have no interest in what many of us regard as a worthless golf competition, if there were no such risk attached. With the risk, then certainly prudent for anyone with such a view of it to stay away.

indeed, 1 in 20 would be worrying. Where did you get that stat?

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/leona-maguire-reiterates-desire-to-compete-at-rio-olympics-1.2705882

Leona aware of the stats but willing to take the risk. To each his/her own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

That par 5 9th was a disaster. Greenside in 2 finish with double! Needs a good day tomorrow if he's to play the Ryder Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Needs a good day tomorrow if he's to play the Ryder Cup.

I assume this is a joke.

First Up wrote: »
    I assume this is a joke.

Has to be. He doesnt need anything from this weekend particularly.
    A win for P in either the Open or the USPGA, and two of any other tournaments will see him comfortably make the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Made the cut comfortably today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Has to be. He doesnt need anything from this weekend particularly.
    A win for P in either the Open or the USPGA, and two of any other tournaments will see him comfortably make the team.

That's the spirit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

PH being seriously cavalier with his health and that of his family. Surprising from a seemingly sensible and level headed man, but he does seem very out of step on this topic. Is he letting his view of representing his country and an over-rating of the Olympics colour his judgement ? It seems so to me. Maybe now that the issue is really in his face rather than judged a theoretical one when it seemed the better golfers were going, he will rethink.

It's winter there and the risk is minimal. He as good as said that Shane wasn't going because his wife didn't want him to go (not his exact words, but that was the message that came through).

• Advertisement

Putting that issue to one side, it was nice to see him finish with a strong last round today - 4 under 67 to bring into the top 30 or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

4 under today, nicely done. 5 birdies and a bogey - back 9 in 4 under

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Nice article by Denis Walsh in today's Sunday Times about PH and the Olympics. He finishes with "In any case, Harrington wants to go. He's going. Brilliant".

Disappointing. Irish golf had a chance to stand up for golf, and against the cesspit that is the olympics. Our three players who are world contenders today stood up and were counted. Unfortunately we didnt close the deal. And are sending a golfer or two who are not at the reckoning of world golf at the moment. Even worse than sending genuine contenders (although if the standard dips of course, even they might contend - but that will just highlight the nonsense it is).
    Very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Disappointing. Irish golf had a chance to stand up for golf, and against the cesspit that is the olympics. Our three players who are world contenders today stood up and were counted. Unfortunately we didnt close the deal. And are sending a golfer or two who are not at the reckoning of world golf at the moment. Even worse than sending genuine contenders (although if the standard dips of course, even they might contend - but that will just highlight the nonsense it is).
    Very sad.

The players that pulled out aren't doing it because of a moral objection.They play tournaments all over the world in worse countries than Brazil.

They either couldn't be bothered or they don't want to take the chance of getting Zika or their girlfriends/wives told them they don't want to take a chance of getting Zika.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

PH to fin best of the Irish at the open.
    I believe Ph and Clarke are the only ones who have played Troon before.
    Clarke actually fin 2nd in 97 and 11th in 04.
    Ph fin 5 in 97 and mc in 04.

Good vid of Ph and Monty talking about the ultimate open holes. Troons 8th and 11th are in it.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Op221OqMo

Monty to be best Scot!
    Shares course record of 64

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

The players that pulled out aren't doing it because of a moral objection.They play tournaments all over the world in worse countries than Brazil.

They either couldn't be bothered or they don't want to take the chance of getting Zika or their girlfriends/wives told them they don't want to take a chance of getting Zika.

I'm zika hearing about it at this stage....... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Paddy is -3 after 8 holes of his second round of the Scottish Open. 3 off the leader.

Good practice for the Open

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Good to see Paddys name up near the top of a leaderboard again. 2 off lead going into weekend

Looks like the afternoon conditions were a lot easier today than yesterday. I expected him to be a lot nearer the top of the leaderboard than tied 8th. Still, he's in a position to challenge if he can put together two good rounds over the weekend and his play yesterday proves that he's still up there with the best when it comes to playing in windy conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Finished tied 21st ,respectable but going into day 3 i think he had a real opportunity to win it

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

very good finish to the tournament, 3 rounds under par and one lvl is good going in tough conditions, on to next week..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Currently tied 27th in the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Currently tied 27th in the open.

Yes. I have always maintained that he will have more chances in majors.

This one won't suit as too low scoring .

Padraig is type of player that would grind out a score like he has in this . But this is a course were it will be 15 under or more to win.

Equal leading Irishman - come on Paddy.

Bounce back with a bogey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

He parred the first.

Good luck Paddy,you have it in ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

gladrags wrote: »
    He parred the first.

Good luck Paddy,you have it in ye.

And birdied the second to go joint top of the leaderboard ;););)

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    And birdied the second to go joint top of the leaderboard ;););)

Double bogey on the par 3 4th unfortunately to fall back to 1 over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

One over through seven, the good scores seem to be on the back nine so it could be a good day yet

Advertisement