Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Winner/Ryder Cup Captain/US Senior Open Champion 2022!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

That makes no sense, it's only because of his success that he's got so many supporters in the first place. I don't see any Seamus Power thread on here.

Anyway it's not the fact he's no longer winning, it's the delusional stuff he keeps trotting out.

Thats ridiculous.

The majority of professional golfers,have never won a major,but keep trying.

Are they delusional?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

abff wrote: »
    I've been a huge fan of Padraig's for years, long before he won his 3 majors. I remember all the second place finishes he had over the years before getting his second win on the European Tour.

I remember the way he comported himself when he was disqualified at the Belfry when he was found not to have signed his card for one of the earlier rounds shortly before he was due to tee off in the final round with a 4 or 5 shot lead. And this was at a time when he'd not won that many tournaments.

I remember being in the States on holidays in 2002 watching him on TV when he bogeyed the 72nd hole of the Open Championship to miss out on a playoff by one shot. He went for birdie because he thought par would not be good enough, but some late dropped shots by others meant it would have been.

I remember him holding a 'garage sale' in Dundrum Town Centre a few years ago to raise money for charity where he sold off a lot off his old clubs and other items. I think the sale was due to last two hours and he ended up staying for an extra two and seemed to have all the time in the world to talk to everyone who turned up.

I could go on and on, but it's not just his 3 majors and his many other tournament wins that make me a fan of Padraig Harrington. It's the man himself and everything he has done for golf both on and off the course. And I've never seen him display even the slightest hint of arrogance, despite all his successes.

He was always someone who gave absolutely 100% and has always been honest and forthright in his dealings with the media. Sure he's made mistakes - who hasn't? And I admit it can be frustrating seeing him struggle when I so badly want him to do well.

But, really, what gives anyone the right to have a go at him just because he has a bad round of golf (or even a bad 9 holes) or if he misses several cuts in a row because things just aren't working for him?

I'm hoping to see him on the podium on Sunday but if he doesn't make it there, I won't be getting on here to criticise him for failing to do so.
    I'm with you, abff. Huge fan and am absolutely delighted he is representing us in Rio.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great post abff.

Of course he drives me crazy - but that is always the case with the ones we love.

Remember his first major going into a pub in real hard GAA country in Kerry, golf wasn't even on. Got it turned on watched him win and cried my eyes out (LOL). I wouldn't cry too often.

I think we have a right to complain if you are a fan. But you should always support him. I remember saying when he was at his real low - that he would have a few big majors in him and he has. I genuinely see him giving another a major a go and maybe a win in The Open.

You need characters in sport and life. He is fascinating to listen to but an absolute walking contradiction at times. He seems to try and convince himself of stuff - almost fool himself , it seems to have worked for him at times , but the falls are dramatic and that is the crazy ride you are on with him.

We do have unrealistic expectations of people at times. Padraig had an incredible period of form and that is the standard that he has been held to. It was way too high. There is an incredible long list of golfers that look like they will win many many majors - but it never happens. They win , but have dramatic falls in form or simply fail to.

Langer
    Norman
    Montgomerie
    Garcia
    Westwood
    Oosthuizen
    Schwartzel
    Kaymer
    McIlroy (half joke)

Ernie Els only has 4 majors and won one of them with a long putter

I think people who go over the top on Padraig - don't know how hard it is to win , or they don't know what it was like for Irish golf before him.

So it doesn't really matter how he does - he has already done it.

For me it is bonus stuff now - and I think I will get one. The one reality I have to accept he has an incredible number of hours on the body. He worked harder on his game than most.

But thanks Paddy - you mad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Nearly chipped in for an Eagle there. Tap in birdie.

PARlance wrote: »
    Nearly chipped in for an Eagle there. Tap in birdie.

Is this live?

• Advertisement

gladrags wrote: »
    Is this live?

Live on the RTE Player on the RTE News Now channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

sword1 wrote: »
    Saw his interview in the build up there,looks to me like he wants this too much, going to put himself under unnecessary extra pressure

Impressively unbearable cliché right there. "wants this too much"... Seriously like???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

callaway92 wrote: »
    Impressively unbearable cliché right there. "wants this too much"... Seriously like???

Less of a cliche than "seriously like",did you see the interview how he was one of the main people trying to get golf to the Olympics but circumstances changed etc .Of course it puts him under extra pressure if he has been a decade building up to this competition

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

sword1 wrote: »
    Less of a cliche than "seriously like",did you see the interview how he was one of the main people trying to get golf to the Olympics but circumstances changed etc .Of course it puts him under extra pressure if he has been a decade building up to this competition

'Wanting it too much' makes no sense.

callaway92 wrote: »
    'Wanting it too much' makes no sense.

Most of the golfers get training how to deal with the pressure as many bottle it .It a mind over ability when it comes to the big competitions .If he wanted to win it a bit less it would be easier to concentrate on playing golf

• Advertisement

That makes no sense, it's only because of his success that he's got so many supporters in the first place. I don't see any Seamus Power thread on here.

Anyway it's not the fact he's no longer winning, it's the delusional stuff he keeps trotting out.

Might be time for a Seamus power thread,fair play to him

-5 after 3 rounds.

He was -5 after 8,then slipped to -3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Currently tied 7th - 4 shots behind 3rd and 1 shot behind 4th. Rose and Stenson may be a bit too far ahead, but a bronze medal is not out of the question with a good round tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

abff wrote: »
    Currently tied 7th - 4 shots behind 3rd and 1 shot behind 4th. Rose and Stenson may be a bit too far ahead, but a bronze medal is not out of the question with a good round tomorrow.
    Fraser was getting jittery out there today, can't see him staying in 3rd so Harrington in with a chance of a medal. Some great players on -6 though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Pagraig looks like missing the cut in Italy, unfortunately. He was in quite good shape at 4 under with 7 to play, but bogeys at the next 2 holes followed by failure to birdie any of the remaining holes (including the par 5 ninth, his final hole) now has him in a tie for 68th.

He was in a tie for 61st when I checked earlier this morning, so it looks like the playing conditions this morning are relatively easy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

slave1 wrote: »

Remind me of the seve par back in the day....I.e making par without ever being on the fairway or green!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

No post here for almost a month!. To get it going again he's just birdied the first 2 holes in Portugal, going to be a birdie fest by all accounts so wouldn't read too much into it, anyhow long overdue for a low one from PH.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

He's Joint Leader now!

Early days but -5 after 6 holes today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭paulos53

Started off with 3 birdies for the 2nd day running

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

He's definitely back. Pity the majors are done for the year, but he could pick up a couple of wins now as practice for next year. He'll win at least two majors next year then, hopefully the masters and US to complete the collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

blue note wrote: »
    He's definitely back. Pity the majors are done for the year, but he could pick up a couple of wins now as practice for next year. He'll win at least two majors next year then, hopefully the masters and US to complete the collection.
    399740.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

IMG_6733.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Just holed a long range putt on 16 for birdie to bring him to -12. Chronically slow as ever unfortunately.

HighLine wrote: »
    Just holed a long range putt on 16 for birdie to bring him to -12. Chronically slow as ever unfortunately.

As long as he got the right result, great putt

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Shot a 63 today - excellent!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The Man

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Jammied a bladed wedge in the hole for birdie on 11. Laughing his ass off and the sky boys going on as if he meant it.

Great to see him playing well.

Advertisement