Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington - 3 Time Major Winner/Ryder Cup Captain/US Senior Open Champion 2022!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Tockman wrote: »
    Padraig up to 20th, -4 for round so far with 2 holes to play, -5 overall. Inside the top 125 projected fedex rankings at moment...

And a nice birdie to finish. Great chance to seal his place in the Fed Ex tomorrow, not to mention lots of encouragement for Rio!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Superb back nine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Superb back nine

Great round - after taking a 6 at the par 5 4th, he was 6 under for the remaining 14 holes. Probably needs a similar performance tomorrow to make the play offs, but he's put himself in with a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'm lazy :pac:

Do you have a link?

Sorry I don't. Search for the podcast on your mobile. It'll take you 30 seconds to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

A big ugly 6 after splitting the fairway on the Par 5 sixth today.

• Advertisement

A big ugly 6 after splitting the fairway on the Par 5 sixth today.

Yikes. 3 putt from 24 feet! Hopefully he can bounce back from this.

Funny game golf. After missing a 3 footer for par on the 9th hole on day 1, Padraig has birdied the 9th each round since then, from ever increasing distances - 10'9" today.

Fair dues to you Padraig. Pick up another couple over the back 9 and you might yet make the play offs. Here's hoping.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

And now he is having a back 9 melt down and blown his FedEx cup chance!

And now he is having a back 9 melt down and blown his FedEx cup chance!

Not over yet, but needs to bounce back from here. Come on Padraig, you can do it!

An atrocious round considering it's playing so easy. Three over for the day, and back outside the top 125.

• Advertisement

An atrocious round considering it's playing so easy. Three over for the day, and back outside the top 125.

Let's give the guy a break. He's played some pretty consistent golf over the past few weeks. He's having a bad day today, which is very disappointing for him ( more so than for us).

So he probably won't make the play offs and it's not ideal from the point of morale heading into the Olympics, but next week is a new start and I can't think of any golfer more deserving of an Olympic medal than Padraig.

So roll on next week!

Just the 7 over for the back 9 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Solid birdie on 18 to only be 6 over for his back 9!!!!

Hopefully takes the positives into next week

Not sure what to make of the negativity on this thread. I can't really understand why some people seem to only come on here to criticise Padraig or to comment when he's doing badly, while remaining resolutely silent when he's doing well.

I for one feel fortunate to have been around during Padraig's career and I got great pleasure out of his three major wins and many other successes. Yes, I get frustrated when he plays badly, but I always remember that whatever disappointment I'm feeling must be multiplied many times over by how he's feeling.

Just saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

abff wrote: »
    Not sure what to make of the negativity on this thread. I can't really understand why some people seem to only come on here to criticise Padraig or to comment when he's doing badly, while remaining resolutely silent when he's doing well.

I for one feel fortunate to have been around during Padraig's career and I got great pleasure out of his three major wins and many other successes. Yes, I get frustrated when he plays badly, but I always remember that whatever disappointment I'm feeling must be multiplied many times over by how he's feeling.

Just saying...

Hear, hear. He has given us the greatest of days. So what if he now has ups and downs. The very fact that he is still competing at the highest level is to to be celebrated.

Go Padraig for the Olympics. Behind you all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

abff wrote: »

Just saying...

Couldnt agree more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Heard him say yesterday he's 'never been in a better position mentally'. That's just plain annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Heard him say yesterday he's 'never been in a better position mentally'. That's just plain annoying.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

It doesn't make me as annoyed as seeing a comment like this...

I just love how you can say that a course is playing easy. Posted from the comfort of the couch in your sitting room of course.

BigCon wrote: »
    Why?
    Because winning majors puts you in a better position mentally than eking out a few cuts here and there. But not in the wonderful world of Paddy it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Because winning majors puts you in a better position mentally than eking out a few cuts here and there. But not in the wonderful world of Paddy it seems.
    He finished top 20 recently in the US PGA championship and was the best placed person going to the Olympics. He has been doing well recently, had a bad day Sunday but sure even the best in the world can have an off day. He is in a great position heading to the Olympics and is in with a real shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Tempting and all as it is I will attack the post not the poster. I think this is nonsense and quite obvious trolling. If Paddy himself says he's in great shape mentally then you take his word for it because there is no more honest golfer in terms of self appraisal out there then Paddy himself. How on earth does any of us know what kind of mental shape winning 3 majors puts you in.

Personally I think I understand why he says it. My reading between the lines says that for a 3 time major winner and multiple winner outside of this on tours around the world to find himself in a position whereby he is battling to make cuts week in week out, it takes a lot mentally to keep tee-ing it up each week. He's wealthy, his legacy is secured already, not many European golfers have won more majors than him, most golf fans consider him a legend and dare I say it a national treasure (to rob a british expression!) in the sporting sense...he could easily regress on tour and count the days down to the seniors gravey train tour whereby i'm sure he will be very competitive. But he doesn't, he grinds it out and goes out there each week thinking he has a chance.

Lately, after a run of missed cuts, he's battled his way back into some kind of decent form whereby he's knocking on the door of a big week. Maybe he thinks this is the strongest he's ever been mentally because he can take the rough with the smooth, knowing that there is going to be a hell of a lot more rough at this stage of his career. 10 years ago coming back from a missed cut was easy because of the player he was. Now, its no where near as easy but he does it. I tip my hat to him every time he makes a cut because given the standard out there now, that's pretty damn good, especially given how far his form has dropped in the last few years. I can think of two high profile players who were pretty good in their day, lost form and never even came close to getting it back....Ian Baker Finch and David Duval, maybe they just didn't have Paddy's mental strength?

Of course, if you are a troll and a paddy basher/begrudger, you will interpret the positivity that comes from this mental strength as delusion and thats your own business and your entitlement, even on this thread on boards. I prefer to look at it differently and in the way that i'd like to think Paddy himself sees it.

As for yesterday's round, really disappointing. I always look forward to his own view of that kind of major melt down. To be fair, he hasn't had one of this magnitude in a long time so hopefully just a blip in an otherwise good run of form. Especially disappointing because of the fed ex and that it was another good chance to break into the top 10 again...he was still hanging in there (fed-ex) with a few holes to go all be it relying on things to go his way in the next tournament which he isn't playing.

Its funny, I used to bemoan his lack of progress in the 3rd round whereby he'd do nothing and then score well in the 4th and then wonder what could have been if he'd done something on moving day. However, there's about 2 or 3 tournaments recently whereby he's made a good move in the 3rd round like i'd hoped but then failed to capitalise on it on the final day....oh well, the joys to following the great man sometimes!

Fingers crossed now for Rio....

Not at all, I was a big fan in 2007/08 before the swing changes and related mumbo-jumbo cost him the chance of 6 or 7 majors. Just my opinion. Anyway when he flunks out in Rio no doubt he'll assure us he's in great shape for Tokyo 2020.

Not at all, I was a big fan in 2007/08 before the swing changes and related mumbo-jumbo cost him the chance of 6 or 7 majors. Just my opinion. Anyway when he flunks out in Rio no doubt he'll assure us he's in great shape for Tokyo 2020.

Harrington has always messed around with his swing...once he won his 3 majors he decided he needed to make changes to his game in order to win the 6 or 7 you talk about...it didn't work out and if he could do it all again, with the benefit of hindsight I'm sure he'd do things differently.

So basically what you are saying is that you were a big fan of his while he was one of the top 2 or 3 golfers in the world but now that he's not so successful, you'd rather slag off arguably our greatest ever and most loved golfers? Hmmmm....I'd say you're a big fan of dustin Johnson at the moment! Obviously you're entitled to your opinion and that's fair enough but I find it a bit fair weather to be honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

It is not easy to stay in the top level for so many years,it is easy to say that he would have done better if he did things differently but we don't know and don't have all the facts and advice he got .Who could have predicted tiger would fail the way he has.He seems like an honest kind of guy who gives it his best and i have taken alot of entertainment from following him down through the years.If you only support him when he is winning majors i think it says more about you than him.

sword1 wrote: »
    It is not easy to stay in the top level for so many years,it is easy to say that he would have done better if he did things differently but we don't know and don't have all the facts and advice he got .Who could have predicted tiger would fail the way he has.He seems like an honest kind of guy who gives it his best and i have taken alot of entertainment from following him down through the years.If you only support him when he is winning majors i think it says more about you than him.

I think the competition in the last few years is a lot stiffer also and as such the standard is probably higher. When Harrington was in his prime tiger was streets ahead and there wasn't really many others capable of winning 3+ majors at the time.els, michaelson, furyk, goosan were the main men if I recall plus Harrington. He was actually the best of the rest when tiger had his injury problems over that period that he won his majors. Now you have 3 guys who are the next tiger all around the same time plus add in Johnson, Watson, stenson etc. Just seems to me that the average bar has risen and makes it harder for a veteran like paddy to be competitive week in week out...

sword1 wrote: »
    If you only support him when he is winning majors i think it says more about you than him.
    That makes no sense, it's only because of his success that he's got so many supporters in the first place. I don't see any Seamus Power thread on here.

Anyway it's not the fact he's no longer winning, it's the delusional stuff he keeps trotting out.

That makes no sense, it's only because of his success that he's got so many supporters in the first place. I don't see any Seamus Power thread on here.

Anyway it's not the fact he's no longer winning, it's the delusional stuff he keeps trotting out.
    I think the term is glory supporter ,i find his positive outlook refreshing, better than most making excuses before the competition has started

Saw his interview in the build up there,looks to me like he wants this too much, going to put himself under unnecessary extra pressure

• Advertisement

I've been a huge fan of Padraig's for years, long before he won his 3 majors. I remember all the second place finishes he had over the years before getting his second win on the European Tour.

I remember the way he comported himself when he was disqualified at the Belfry when he was found not to have signed his card for one of the earlier rounds shortly before he was due to tee off in the final round with a 4 or 5 shot lead. And this was at a time when he'd not won that many tournaments.

I remember being in the States on holidays in 2002 watching him on TV when he bogeyed the 72nd hole of the Open Championship to miss out on a playoff by one shot. He went for birdie because he thought par would not be good enough, but some late dropped shots by others meant it would have been.

I remember him holding a 'garage sale' in Dundrum Town Centre a few years ago to raise money for charity where he sold off a lot off his old clubs and other items. I think the sale was due to last two hours and he ended up staying for an extra two and seemed to have all the time in the world to talk to everyone who turned up.

I could go on and on, but it's not just his 3 majors and his many other tournament wins that make me a fan of Padraig Harrington. It's the man himself and everything he has done for golf both on and off the course. And I've never seen him display even the slightest hint of arrogance, despite all his successes.

He was always someone who gave absolutely 100% and has always been honest and forthright in his dealings with the media. Sure he's made mistakes - who hasn't? And I admit it can be frustrating seeing him struggle when I so badly want him to do well.

But, really, what gives anyone the right to have a go at him just because he has a bad round of golf (or even a bad 9 holes) or if he misses several cuts in a row because things just aren't working for him?

I'm hoping to see him on the podium on Sunday but if he doesn't make it there, I won't be getting on here to criticise him for failing to do so.

Advertisement