Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hurling League 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭PressRun

Very enjoyable game of hurling. The ref was clearly playing for a draw though, the equalising free was nonsense, so you'd have to feel for Waterford on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

carq wrote: »
    Daylight robbery.

The referee was a disgrace

Really poor on both sides i thought, never let the game flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Ref a complete joke, we were robbed, Never a free near the end and he was giving them soft ones all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Great result. Clare are a joy to watch... Hope that Waterford team never win anything... There is a nasty undercurrent to that team

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

blackwhite wrote: »
    He's spitting blood after that high tackle.

Some "diving" alright :rolleyes:

Even as a Clare man, Davy fitz's behaviour on that incident was a disgrace. Saying nothing was wrong with him and telling him to get up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Great result. Clare are a joy to watch... Hope that Waterford team never win anything... There is a nasty undercurrent to that team

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Care to elaborate?

Don't feed the trolls! :)

Poor ref start to finish today, made it very stop/start. Joke of a decision at the end obviously but to be 6 up at three separate stages and lose its not all on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Ref a complete joke, we were robbed, Never a free near the end and he was giving them soft ones all day long.

Thought he was pretty poor for both sides to be honest. The free to equalise was soft alright but Waterford got 3 awful soft frees in the first half and then how he gave a free against Cunningham when he gets hit in the helmet is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Thought he was pretty poor for both sides to be honest. The free to equalise was soft alright but Waterford got 3 awful soft frees in the first half and then how he gave a free against Cunningham when he gets hit in the helmet is beyond me.

Agreed especially on the last point. The umpires missed it and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

How did Jamie Barron not get a free at the death, never mind even the other free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Not the first time the same man has affected the outcome of a big game.

I shall say no more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Care to elaborate?

No 24 hit on Clare 7.. More interested in that than playing hurling.... Constant mouthing by no 6 to ref.... Noel Connors hit on Cunningham.... Think Waterford got 4 yellows Clare 1..... I just get a cocky nasty vibe from Waterford...

If you go back to last summer Maurice Shanahan strolling out from full forward to give Liam rushe (I think) lip and laugh in his face....... I coul go on... Actually one more.... Gleason (I think) against cork in league... Diarmuid Sullivan came onto pitch in a rage......

Very unfortunate but nastiness is there....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Hold on do people think Noel Connors attempt to flick the ball away from Cunningham was a foul? Never a foul in a month of Sundays. Cunningham brings the ball up and Connors tries flick the ball away. Waterford got a free out because they had possession so they get an indirect free. If you're going to give out at least know the rules lads.

Farcical stuff at the end with Barron not getting a free and Kelly diving to get the free.

He's some hurler though. Unreal stuff out of him throughout the game. Love watching him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hold on do people think Noel Connors attempt to flick the ball away from Cunningham was a foul? Never a foul in a month of Sundays. Cunningham brings the ball up and Connors tries flick the ball away. Waterford got a free out because they had possession so they get an indirect free. If you're going to give out at least know the rules lads.

Farcical stuff at the end with Barron not getting a free and Kelly diving to get the free.

He's some hurler though. Unreal stuff out of him throughout the game. Love watching him.

Hang on you think a hurley to the head is not a free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The ball was in Cunningham's hand. How did Waterford have possession?

Genuine attempt to play the ball and barely hit him. If he'd given the free to Clare I wouldn't have been surprised and wouldn't think anything of it but doesn't bother me he didn't give it either.

No it wasn't. The ball went loose when Cunningham went down, Waterford defender picked it and moved away and then the ref blew it up. Therefore Waterford had possession when the ref stopped the game.

He wasn't giving a free, Waterford were on the ball and Cunningham was down so he blew to stop play with Waterford in possession.

Not saying whether it was or wasn't a free as I was at the opposite side of the pitch. If he caught him in the face, even accidentally then it should be a free.

If you go back to last summer Maurice Shanahan strolling out from full forward to give Liam rushe (I think) lip and laugh in his face....... ....

Won't be laughing at him next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Genuine attempt to play the ball and barely hit him. If he'd given the free to Clare I wouldn't have been surprised and wouldn't think anything of it but doesn't bother me he didn't give it either.
    That's the way I saw it. Accidental contact from Connors. Thought Cunningham made a meal of it. In fairness to Connors that wouldn't be his style from what I have seen of him.

• Advertisement

Having seen it again he was entitled to a free. But not in anyway a red card, though I don't think anyone is really arguing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Having seen it again he was entitled to a free. But not in anyway a red card, though I don't think anyone is really arguing that.

Yeah, I agree. I think Kelly's last week was worse, at least there was some possibility of Connors getting the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

First of what a game of hurling, the skill levels were top-notch by both sides. All the negative comments after last weeks match and tactics have to be revised now after watching that game. Tony Kelly has to be the most naturally gifted hurler in the country right now - he looks so elegant firing over a point from the sidelines. Brilliant game i thought and well done to both teams. Up da banner

• Registered Users Posts: 37,927 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Galway to win in 2017

The last 2 teams relegated too 1b have gone on to win it the last 2 years.

Congrats Clare

It's going to take a lot to get our lads heads right again after losing in the injury time today.

Championship is another step up and I can't wait for June 5th. Think Clare will go on to win the Munster and all Ireland dis year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

It was great seeing Waterford and their negative system being beat yesterday. Hopefully more of the same during the summer... The only reason yesterdays game was open is because Clare stretched Waterford back with their FF line and it opened up space in the middle...

Vanolder wrote: »
    It was great seeing Waterford and their negative system being beat yesterday. Hopefully more of the same during the summer... The only reason yesterdays game was open is because Clare stretched Waterford back with their FF line and it opened up space in the middle...

So the only reason the game was open was due to Clare, and the fact waterford scored 2-12 from play is down to Clare as well I suppose?

Vanolder wrote: »

I was glad Clare won, for other reasons, but Waterford are entitled to set up as they do, and the two games were brilliant to watch, despite the negative punditry.

It is a bit like the way people used to slag Tyrone and Donegal over being "negative" and them beating ourselves out of the pitch scoring 3 - 17 or 2 - 18!

People see what they want to see I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭PressRun

Yeah, I've no idea how the way Waterford played yesterday could be perceived as "negative". It was a very enjoyable, open game of hurling with all the skills on show, and that was down to both teams, not just Clare. Likewise, the first game was rubbish (for the first hour or so anyway) and there were two teams in that too.

Certain narratives get peddled in the media about certain teams and buzzwords get thrown about that just end up sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I was glad Clare won, for other reasons, but Waterford are entitled to set up as they do, and the two games were brilliant to watch, despite the negative punditry.

It is a bit like the way people used to slag Tyrone and Donegal over being "negative" and them beating ourselves out of the pitch scoring 3 - 17 or 2 - 18!

People see what they want to see I suppose.

I agree Waterford can play as they see fit, but you couldn't be serious in claiming the first league final was brilliant to watch? It was desperate stuff. You can call that a media narrative if you like, but it didn't make it untrue.

• Advertisement

I agree Waterford can play as they see fit, but you couldn't be serious in claiming the first league final was brilliant to watch? It was desperate stuff. You can call that a media narrative if you like, but it didn't make it untrue.

Yesterday was much better game, but first game was interesting in its own way. Its just tactics. skills are all there.

People were saying same about yourselves and Cork back in the early noughties!

Advertisement